The James Bond Wardrobe/Style Thread

Comments

• AVBAVB
    doghouse wrote: »
    McQueen is long and lean [...] where Craig is short and stocky.

Steve McQueen was 178 cm tall. Daniel Craig's height is 178 cm.

Christ, the black and white thinking!

McQueen had a different body shape to Craig. Although, I think some of this is because Craig works out for the Bond films and it doesn't work with his suit attire.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI0-N6JbHrk-q7zvlZD9aUCQDlWAXfvucbKqyHX1d-1-JisWKy

Hence, McQueen still looks long and lean.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    True. The bodybuilder physique is never the best one for a suit.

Despite his beefcake looks in CR, Craig fit into those Brionis quite nicely however.

However, I agree that due to his particular physique, designers need to take extra care with the suits for him.

Having said that, I have no criticism of his body shape really, just the goofs who dressed him in SF. who seemed to lack an eye for detail and finesse imo.
  • AVBAVB
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Villiers53 wrote: »
    IVNSHO, DC is not a natural clothes horse a la Clooney, Connery, Grant and Steve McQueen are or were.
    I find DC to be a modern day Steve McQueen - and they both wear suits well

My point about McQueen was really to highlight the importance of bespoke.
    His big suit movie was 'The Thomas Crown Affair' where his clothes were tailored by the MountStreet legend, Dougie Haywood.
    The fit was absolutely immaculate and history has it that McQueen fell in love with the process. Many style aficionados consider the original TTCA to be the definitive clothes movie. Certainly, I love the look but of course, the styling was done with that character in mind and not Bond.
    Happily, all of this was done before product placement so you got what was right for the movie rather than what somebody is trying to sell. Persol never payed a dime to be in TTCA but their accidental involvement remains one of their biggest brand assets.
    That said, I think McQueen's greatest contribution to men's style was in his day to day life. He had an intrinsic sense of how to dress that evolved into an iconic look. He was definitely from the less is more school and never looked made up or contrived and IVNSHO his best clothes movie was actually 'Bullit'.
    Doubtless there are parallels between DC and SM but I think Steve had an élan and a way of moving that few mortals posses but even he benefited from bespoke.

Well put. Men(who know how to dress) are still wearing clothes influenced by McQueen. His outfits were always within context to the situation and also age appropiate. He dressed like a man, never self regarding.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 5,767
    AVB wrote: »
    McQueen is long and lean [...] where Craig is short and stocky.

Steve McQueen was 178 cm tall. Daniel Craig's height is 178 cm.

Christ, the black and white thinking!

McQueen had a different body shape to Craig. Although, I think some of this is because Craig works out for the Bond films and it doesn't work with his suit attire.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI0-N6JbHrk-q7zvlZD9aUCQDlWAXfvucbKqyHX1d-1-JisWKy

Hence, McQueen still looks long and lean.
    That´s an amazing foto! Especially the granny on the left and the uncle with the lamp post strapped to his back :-)).

I must say however that that jacket doesn´t look any longer than Craig´s Italy one.

bondjames wrote: »
    True. The bodybuilder physique is never the best one for a suit.

Despite his beefcake looks in CR, Craig fit into those Brionis quite nicely however.

However, I agree that due to this his particular physique, designers need to take extra care with the suits for him.

Having said that, I have no criticism of his body shape really, just the goofs who dressed him in SF. who seemd to lack an eye for detail and finesse imo.
    My saying. One could sometimes get the impression that they fit him the suits and then he buffed up for the film.

Should we discuss a bit Monica Bellucci's and others' clothes? We have had a glimpse of Hinx and Madeleine Swann too I think.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Do we think this is a just a photocall suit for Craig or will it be worn by Bond? Hmmm...

Just a photocall suit, he has been seen in this suit before at a Joan Colins party late last year. Defo won't make the film.
    Ugh.

25E74DFF00000578-2962825-image-m-14_1424522551116_zps84dffeea.jpg

I think he looks fantastic here - smart, stylish, Bondian! Love the waistcoat with the suit jacket, the pocket square, the leather gloves, the smart boots!

This film is going to look stunning! Maybe even an academy award for best costume design nod...

Suit is 3 piece Tom Ford it has a very subtle stripe to it, Over sized collar TF Shirt, 100% Silk TF tie all from Sprin/Summer 2015 range. The boots I believe are churches who make the Ryder 3 suede boots we have seen Dan in CR & QOS. I believe the watch is Omega De Ville prestige. The sunglasses look like either TF Wayfarers FT0236 OLIVER or Tom Ford TF 336 Leo. The gloves most likely Dents Special Edition like they did on Skyfall.
    So, we have some more outfits to discuss...

Another Bond:-
    tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no1_540.jpg

2 from M:-
    tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no2_540.jpg
    tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no3_540.jpg
    2 from Q:-
    tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no5_540.jpg
    tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no6_540.jpg
    And 1 from Moneypenny:-
    tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no4_540.jpg
  • RC7RC7

I think Naomie looks great. I wasn't a big fan of her character in SF, but I'm hoping she comes into her own in SP, as I'd like her to stick around. She's a great actress.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Bond. Looks. Sick. Haven't seen DC Bond iconically sitting across the desk from M until now!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I like Bond's suit (from what we can see of it) more than some of the dandied up affairs we've seen so far. Also very much like M's second suit.

Moneypenny's outfit seems a bit casual for the office?
    So much win. Craig is way better in that suit, and Fiennes looks great in general. Wonder if Everest is doing his again.
  • @JCRendle has posted some interesting stuff.
    007 looks good in the action shot. I think DC looks good in casual clothes that have a rougher edge to them — peacock coats, fisherman's sweaters etc... and this outfit looks to have that feel.
    Behind the desk also looks promising. Nice shirt and tie and hopefully a more appropriate suit but we wait with bated breath until he stands up and hope it isn't another TF 'Pee Wee Herman' outfit.
    'M' from what I can see, looks fantastic and at a guess I'd say it looks like bespoke Timothy Everest again. This 'M' is obviously a sartorialist, he knows his tailor and sticks to him.
    As for Moneypenny, mon dieu, I adore this woman. For me she was the absolute highlight in SF and whoever had the idea to give Naomie the role deserves a medal. An inspired choice. As for her wardrobe, she can wear what she likes for me!
    Must fly before Irma Blunt terns up with some more of her vitriol.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 14,840
    Ralph Fiennes looks very much like M. He wears a far more sober suit. Looks more weary, as if the position had taken a toll on him.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited February 2015 Posts: 7,526
    Here's a Hinx for you as well:

12ac5689d09d82b5cc7e8320aa86cd0bc073a88f.jpg

Not much to see yet beyond the hat, goatee, coat and gloves.

Original Link

EDIT: Minor plot detail in the link.

Original Link

Really love his look! All clad in black and sinister (black is a safe bet for a villain, but it works), the hat that makes him look old fashioned as well as giving him an unsettling, out of place elegance that contrast with his brutish look.

Original Link

EDIT: Minor plot detail in the link.
    For a moment there I thought it´s Gandolfini in The Drop.
    Like the gun. Christoph Waltz had something similar but larger in The Green Hornet.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    To me, the best photo today is that one above of Hinx. Looks quite menacing. I can't wait to see this guy in action.

And is DC wearing a 3 button in that photo below? The lapel V seem a bit high for a traditional 2 button.

• StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    hthomas20 wrote: »
    23uwk9j.jpg

Is that ppk he's holding?
  • StanKobra wrote: »
    23uwk9j.jpg

yes
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Thank you, I thought so. Couldn't be happier about it.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,598
    bondjames wrote: »
    To me, the best photo today is that one above of Hinx. Looks quite menacing. I can't wait to see this guy in action.

And is DC wearing a 3 button in that photo below? The lapel V seem a bit high for a traditional 2 button.

No, I don't think it's too high for a 2 button. My navy blue two button is around the same.

Hinx is looking good.
  • (quote=bond james)

tumblr_nke2zknu371rv0z1no1_540.jpg[/quote]

Good catch, I think is probably the 3 roll 2 style (were the top button is covered by the roll of the lapel. This can be a good choice.
    This combination has the advantage of giving a higher fit than a regular two button (when the middle button is fastened) whilst not going the full way to a traditional three button with the lapel flattened above the top.
    The traditional 3 button is sometimes recommended for tall men. Personally, I think it looks ugly on everybody.
    Early days but it looks like 'M' is ahead in the style stakes!
    Must go - Irma Blunt dials in.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    @Villiers53 - Honestly, this needs to be said. Just stop it, you are beginning to really sound like a bitter, annoying dictator at this point. We get that you know details about clothes (oh yes), we get your opinion (a million times), you are sometimes illuminating (true) but your attitude has gone downhill. You are frankly coming across more and more as mean, petty, repetitive, and therefore also a bit boring (I know, only the "boring" part probably bothers you). Let other people have their opinions, in their own way, let everybody say what they feel in their own words (never mind the grammar or spelling either; this thread is for everyone), and lay off what you obviously think is funny in referring to "Irma Blunt" when actually it just makes you look like a spoiled kindergartner. You ceased to be amusing to me a few pages ago.
  • kindergartner. You ceased to be amusing to me a few pages ago.

4EverBonded it may not have occurred to you but it is not my goal in life to be amusing to you.
    That said, I will ignore your insults as you are clearly in cahoots with this Irma Blunt troll type character.
    I would however humbly suggest you refrain your comments to wardrobe/style in Spectre as I have throughout. That way we can have a constructive and hopefully informed thread.
    Ps. I think it might be "Kindergartener" but hey, it's a broad church both spellings are acceptable.
    I kind of got lost in the number of buttons a suit should wear.
  • TuxedoTuxedo Europe
    RC7 wrote: »

I think Naomie looks great. I wasn't a big fan of her character in SF, but I'm hoping she comes into her own in SP, as I'd like her to stick around. She's a great actress.

Yep.
    23uwk9j.jpg

i57r75.jpg

As predicted the roll neck sweater said this months ago, same with the TF casual blue jacket with side zip and inner buttons. The suit worn in M's office by Bond does not look like Tom Ford, the lappels are more in line Brioni
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I hope villiers never stops posting ITT. when he sees something he likes he says so, and vice versa. Hes better informed on this matter than nearly everyone else ITT combined, even if he is overloverly traditional (wearing a watch from the 50s ;) ).