The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    chrisisall wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

I respect the folks that like Glen but I don't get it or see it.
    Out of FIVE entries? Nothing good there for you?
    :-?

Oh yes there but its in spite of Glen... his pacing was always a bit slow.

He was just a workman director... that's all nothing more. That point was mentioned by several critics not just me.. didn't have to be a critic to see that.

I just wanted more for Bond in the 80's.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    He was just a workman director... that's all nothing more.
    Nothing more was needed IMHO. I like my Bond movies devoid of fancy cinematic flair- makes the actual story stand out.
    :)>-
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I agree J Glen was a workman like
    director but he did have to do a lot
    with a smaller budget. The Budget
    for Bond didn't increase after MR.
    John Glen, last of the great originals of old.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    DrGorner wrote: »
    I agree J Glen was a workman like
    director but he did have to do a lot
    with a smaller budget. The Budget
    for Bond didn't increase after MR.

Yes, I don't know all about that time but the budgets were definitely smaller post-1979 oil crisis and that impacted the scale of the movies. Perhaps that smaller case makes them appear cheaper to some. Not sure.

One thing that seemed not quite up to it with Glen was the cinematography. FYEO was ok but it just did not seem quite up to what I remember from before. Not sure why. I always remember early Bonds for wide sweeping shots and panoramas. Glen Bonds seemed much more 'confined' to me. I don't know if he was responsible or someone else. However, he handled the action reasonably well (FYEO opening, all the great ski stuff in that film, OP pretitles, OP aerial fight at the end). None of that was CGI, so it was all the more impressive.
    bondjames wrote: »
    One thing that seemed not quite up to it with Glen was the cinematography. FYEO was ok but it just did not seem quite up to what I remember from before. Not sure why. I always remember early Bonds for wide sweeping shots and panoramas. Glen Bonds seemed much more 'confined' to me.
    Definitely. I think Glen was more interested in making it personal as opposed to grand. Focus in as opposed to expand out. A lot of that worked for me, some of it didn't.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    One thing that seemed not quite up to it with Glen was the cinematography. FYEO was ok but it just did not seem quite up to what I remember from before. Not sure why. I always remember early Bonds for wide sweeping shots and panoramas. Glen Bonds seemed much more 'confined' to me.
    Definitely. I think Glen was more interested in making it personal as opposed to grand. Focus in as opposed to expand out. A lot of that worked for me, some of it didn't.

That's a very good point. His Bond films were a little more personal than the Gilbert & Hamilton ones in particular. So it must have been intentional.
    That's a very good point. His Bond films were a little more personal than the Gilbert & Hamilton ones in particular. So it must have been intentional.
    But it does reduce the 'scope' of the films. Everything is a trade off. I happen to enjoy both 'big' and 'small' Bond movies for different reasons.
    It's all good.
    \m/
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I just came to understand, after first seeing the film 42 years ago, that I hate the jetpack, I guess I always have. Stupid as Hell. I'd just never really thought about it before. Biggest shame is up until that point it's been a great PTS, featuring one of the bets fights in the franchise.
    Totally agree. TB used to be my favourite Connery Bond, nowadays it's between DN & FRWL, or even YOLT (yeah, I think the jetpack gag was dumber than anything in that one).

• edited January 2015 Posts: 1,595
    *cries*
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    WHat's a shame about the jetpack is that it could have actually been put to good use. If Jack Bouvair's house was on a cliff or the edge of a body of water it would have made sense to use a jetpack (although you'd need a waterfall to cover the noise). Bond could have just climbed down from that balcony!

Another thing I can't stand: the way the guy shoots at COnnery as he flies away. He's punching the gun out with each shot! No wonder he didn't hit him.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Sark wrote: »
    Another thing I can't stand: the way the guy shoots at COnnery as he flies away. He's punching the gun out with each shot! No wonder he didn't hit him.
    Yes, that does look odd. Maybe he was trying not to burst out laughing when he saw the jetpack and that affected his shot?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 1,138

In case anyone's memory is foggy.

3:23
    They did it better in Lost In Space.
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    Craig & QOS.
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    Lazenby & OHMSS.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    FYEO's score. Definitely ruins the film for me.
  • ml94ml94 Finland
    m194 & Finland.
    What is your problem...?

• ml94ml94 Finland
    Birdleson & San Jose, CA.
    Sark wrote: »
    WHat's a shame about the jetpack is that it could have actually been put to good use. If Jack Bouvair's house was on a cliff or the edge of a body of water it would have made sense to use a jetpack (although you'd need a waterfall to cover the noise).
    It would have come in handy in FYEO.
    :)>-
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I just can t stand Brosnan as Bond. His hairstyle is ridiculous.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Haven't you noticed, dear @Thunderfinger? All the Bonds have obligatory bad hair at some point. All of them, I swear. It must happen subconsiously.

Moore in AVTAK, Dalton in LTK, Laz in OHMSS, Connery in DAF and in part (the "let's make the tall Scot look like a Japanese fisherman!" part) in YOLT, and Craig in Skyfall (near buzz cut on the sides, way too short). For Brosnan, only in TWINE: bad businessman's blunt cut hair. Just hope this hair jinx is done messing with Craig's era.
    I cant stand Daniel Craig as Bond.He is just so blatantly miscast.He lacks the wit and charm required for the role and just mumbles his way through the movies.He also runs like C-3PO in Star Wars.

I also hate Judi Dench as M and the fact that as the movies went on the filmakers felty they had to give her more and more screen time.When i need cheering up i immediately pop Skyfall in the player and go straight to her death scene.Never fails to brighten my day!

I hate Skyfall.Its the most boring,nonsensical, pretentious Bond film ever made.Only got it on Blu ray for the completeness of my BOND 50 set.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I'm a fricking genius, I don't think he mumbles and understand everything he says. What about the bond actor who ran like he had a broom stick up his ass? And that was what his own director said
    I'm a fricking genius, I don't think he mumbles and understand everything he says. What about the bond actor who ran like he had a broom stick up his ass? And that was what his own director said

Interesting you say that considering the awkward way Craig runs!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I think all these new people are one person.

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are in The Truman Show. :(

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you are in The Truman Show. :(
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,690

I hate to be the one to tell me, but I am on THE LOVE BOAT.

Only boat I know is the one with Sir Rog in Boat Trip. :D I hope you didn't mean that one.
    No. This was a bad American show that went from the late '70s into the '80s.

Yes, I think I saw a few episodes when I was younger. They aired reruns in the afternoon a few years ago here.

Moore in AVTAK,

I think his hair in OP was worse. They didn't even bother to put a part in it! It's just combed straight back.