Skyfall: PPK or P99?

edited November 2011 in Skyfall Posts: 1,407
In the two films he has done, Daniel Craig has used both a P99 and a PPK. My question is, which one should he use for Bond 23? Did the PPK look outdated in QoS? Is the P99 too bulky? My opinion is that I like the PPK but I wish they didn't just switch it in between CR and QoS. But I also don't mind the P99. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Really I love both but I think I like seeing Craig with the P99 more than the PPK.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    As long as he's not gunning down goons with machine guns he can use either.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the PPK might be inferior, but there is something iconic about that gun's association with Bond.. it didn't feel right when they switched to it in the Brosnan era... i'm glad they went back to it in QOS
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 421
    It funny, if they had swapped the guns round in CR and QOS, it would have felt alot more natural. Anyway, for Bond 23, because its sounds like more of a classic, I'm gonna have to go with the PPK*

*lets see it with a silencer too!
    The P99 is the more modern gun so I suppose it would make sense to have Bond use that one. Having said that, the PPK is smaller and to my understanding designed as such to be easier to conceal. This would seem to be a significant plus for a secret agent. Plus, it has the iconography on its side. Maybe the PPS from Carte Blanche could be used?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I honestly have no preferences specifically but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea of Bond handling a PPS. I rather like the model. Its barrel is short yet the overall appeal comes from its masculine curving and shaping.
    both but they have an updated PPK(S) iirc

plus i would love to see him use the FN 5-7. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Considering he had a black PPK in QoS, my vote goes to the silver PPK. I reckon it looks neat.

• i like the P99 alot better, but its the 50th anniversary and as a tribute to the character flemming wrote i think he should use a PPK, even if he goes back to the P99 in bond 24.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The PPK though very outdated is iconic and "Bond's" gun. It'd be nice for it to crop up every now and again in the film series, especially for Bond's 50th anniversary film.

The P99 is the more today though and if I'm honest Bond should be using this gun.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I want the P99. It looks better in Craig's hands. The PPK in QoS looked way too small.
    Bond uses a Beretta or a PPK, END OF. ;)

It's bad enough having him drive BMW's and now being a non-smoking short arse with blonde hair. Will there be anything left from Fleming's character?
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Craig drives Aston Martins. Brosnon drove BMWs.
    The argument for the P99, beside the design, would be higher stopping power. But stopping power is only needed if the first shot doesn´t kill. And James Bond has not only the license to kill, he also doesn´t need more than one shot. He can do however with the small size of the PPK, since it is much easier to hide underneath the clothes. Technically (and also stylishly) it would make sense if he had a long-barrelled high caliber revolver in his car, for moments when he has to cover bigger distances, or when he has to damage the engine of an opponent´s car.
  • PPK.

Definitely.
  • PPK. The P99 just looked too bulky for a secret agent.
    Either one is fine with me, but if the choice was of critical importance, I'd pick the PPK. More easily concealed, sleeker looking, and authentic, original Bond-quality. The P99 was good for TND-CR, and if it won't be used in 23, then maybe it'll have its go-around another day.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 5,745
    How about this? Its a future-tech pistol that uses electric pulses to fire bullets. Larger versions of this technology can fire up to 1.000.000 rounds/min. Its called Metal Storm and was featured on Future Weapons. With a new Q, he could introduce Bond to this new tech. Maybe not his pistol, but something else?

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/9098/vle045hf7.jpg

• edited October 2011 Posts: 1,310
    Stick with the PPK for me. And add a silencer on it for a scene, those guns are unbelievably pretty with silencers on them.
    Are they not? ;-)
  • The PPK might be old but it's so associated with Bond and looks so great that it gets my vote. Plus it's the 50th anniversary.
    And I want the editor to show him attaching the silencer just before a kill, like the very awesome Dr. No scene with Dent.
    How about this? Its a future-tech pistol that uses electric pulses to fire bullets. Larger versions of this technology can fire up to 1.000.000 rounds/min. Its called Metal Storm and was featured on Future Weapons. With a new Q, he could introduce Bond to this new tech. Maybe not his pistol, but something else?

That looks nice. The PPK was introduced in Dr. No as some kind of technical advancement, and while the PPK is by no means outdated, this new gun could be even more iconic in our times.
    "This man was shot with a very unique gun. The bullet was triggered by an electric imulse."
    "Only one man in the world uses such a gun. James Bond of the British Secret Service!"

It is one of theses gadgets that you see Q handing Bond......

I think we need a consensus... Do we keep the PPK/99 or do we move on...

I remember this. Matthew Reilly used is in SCARECROW, arming a contingent of bounty hunters with MetalStorm rifles.
    In a Bond story I'm writing, I was actually going to use metal storm ground turrets that work similar to the drone guns in GoldenEye N64. Very cool technology.

It is one of theses gadgets that you see Q handing Bond......

I think we need a consensus... Do we keep the PPK/99 or do we move on...
    It wouldn't bother me if Bond moved on to a different gun. The PPS from Carte Blanche wouldn't be a bad choice.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited October 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I like the PPK. It is a great little gun and as it has been said, it carries the spy spirit as well as Bond spirit for the 50th anniversary. It is easier to conceal, and in a real life situation is more likely for a spy to use the PPK over the P99. It is undeniable. The PPK is to James Bond as Mickey Mouse is to Disney.
  • edited October 2011 Posts: 268
    I wouldnt mind a new edition or and updated version of the PPK. Whats Walther up to these days anyway? Do they have any new wares?

Wow!
    Thats one ugly gun.

I wouldnt mind a new edition or and updated version of the PPK. Whats Walther up to these days anyway? Do they have any new wares?

Wow!
    Thats one ugly gun.

That picture is not representative of the actual gun, just simply a structure to display the dynamics of the system. The actual technology could be shaped into anything, a ppk, p99, or heck, a cane if you wanted. If you think about it, the technology isn't really that advanced. Just packed bullets triggered with electricity.

*DONT TRY AT HOME KIDS*
    How about the Baretta PX4 - Storm?
    Didn't James start with a Baretta in DN?

This discussion has been closed.