SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    If the title is legit, then this is my reaction:
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    MrBond wrote: »

Seconded! :D
    i think this title might be the real deal! considering Avengers has the nemesis name on the title and the old bond movies had the same thing! i think its fabulous!
  • MrBond wrote: »

Seconded! :D

It simply won't. Why should it. Titles are as plenty as peoples ideas and this is not a really unique title (kind of generic standard edition,if you ask me). also there wouldn't be any kind of the usual book/movie cross promotion since those few that read it watch Bond movies anyway. So no reason to brake with old and money saving habits.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited December 2014 Posts: 5,080
    If there's one thing that the Bond films have always successfully achieved (unlike many other elements of the films) is a good title. Sure, we may have our favourites and dislikes, but the titles have always been flemingesque and there haven't really been any stinkers. I have full faith that the producers have agreed with yet another great title for their 24th instalment.

And for what it's worth, I very much doubt that the title is
    Spectre
    Because it is an object, not an expression of something. And surely not a MacGuffin. I don't see the point of titling it that. In my honest opinion, Bond titles should have a poetic feel to it. A title that describes the entire film.
    I think we should focus our attention on a new title rumor perhaps the Hildebrand Rarity
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 203
    Because it is an object, not an expression of something. And surely not a MacGuffin. I don't see the point of titling it that. In my honest opinion, Bond titles should have a poetic feel to it. A title that describes the entire film.

i could see something closer to the age of ultron ...
    the rise of spectre, spectre of hope, spectre of doom, etc. even the word by itself has a ring of mystery and intrigue! and of course it will describe the whole movie!
    mnhettia wrote: »

the rise of specter, spector of hope, specter of doom, etc

Come on! This is a Sam Mendes film, not a run of the mill superhero franchise movie.
  • Not sure how significant this is, but IMDB has Thomas Newman penciled in to do score for Bond 24.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Not sure how significant this is, but IMDB has Thomas Newman penciled in to do score for Bond 24.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

I'd take it with a grain of salt, but if so my reaction would be:
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2014 Posts: 23,561
    Going off topic for a moment

Ladies and gentlemen, good members of our beloved forum, may I please have your attention. @Gustav_Graves' case may seem 'settled' for the moment but it really isn't. After an unexpectedly busy week, I've just about caught up with things here, so please forgive the delay with which I address the matter.

GG is one of our most active members, someone who thinks up many interesting topics of discussion. Even if a duplicate thread here and there has had to be closed over the years, many of his threads trigger good debate. He also has a strong opinion about many Bond related things but how would that be different from the lot of us? Shall we dig up one of the gazillion SF threads that went down the toilet faster than yesterday's enchiladas, simply because our egos can't handle another person's opinion? Frankly, I myself tend to avoid such threads these days because trying to bring good reason into the game is like throwing an egg against a brick wall: if you're not careful, the nasty stuff simply bounces back at you.

That, of course, is part of the game and we shouldn't let ourselves be bullied away by others. On the other hand, we shouldn't bully someone over their opinion either. The Internet as a medium offers little restraint; like a powerful cascade, my irony turns into your sarcasm, which provokes even stronger sarcasm from me, which ends in a remark from you we will both regret. Though the digital curtain offers us some protection while nasty remarks slip off our keyboards, no-one's feelings can ever be protected from getting hurt. At the risk of sounding childishly sentimental, I'd like to invite all of us - not "you" but "us" - to try once more to learn that it works best to

- destabilize the other poster's arguments, not the other poster
    - through reasonable and subject-related arguments, not by trolling, bullying or name-calling
    - once or twice, thrice at most, and then to move on, to let go, to relax and find other stuff to discuss; no-one likes the proverbial broken record.

Considering that broken record thing, can't we agree that many conflicts, many ugly quarrels, can easily be avoided if both parties agree to disagree after a mere few posts instead of entire pages?

Matt_Helm wrote: »
    Didn't you guys read his melodramatic post in which he announced he is leaving the forum because he doesn't feel appreciated enough? Poor Gustav. So much drama, so little attention.

@Matt_Helm, surely you're smart enough to realise that such a post is neither constructive nor amusing.
    HASEROT wrote: »
    it may sound cold and callous of me, but i personally don't care where he has gone to... i dont wish harm to the guy, as i don't want anything personal to happen him.... but for someone who valued other's opinions so little, that he gets upset when no one values his... i find it a tad amusing..

I'm confident that @Gustav_Graves will be the first to admit that he too may need to tone down every once in a while, like all of us. But I disagree it's amusing that he feels unappreciated at the moment. Several of our members, Gustav included, really enjoy spending time here; this place has built tight friendships over the years, friendships among people on opposite sides of the globe even. I do agree, @haserot, that sometimes people who like to hand out punches can't take a punch themselves. However, I think GG isn't the first one who needs to make amends in that department, though it may be something he's willing to pick up for the future.
    Murdock wrote: »
    He needs a good long timeout. Tensions have been unusually high here for the past few weeks.

The wisest words come from @Murdock. Sometimes we just need to unplug. I don't call it melodrama that GG took a short vacation; I call it a clever decision. Let's face it, some would just keep going, round after round, descending more and more into a maelstrom of useless fights and verbal awfulnesses that leave both sides cut and bruised.

I for one hope that Gustav returns soon; I will welcome him back, not arms folded but very heartily, as I would all of you. We all have our temperaments but we are all valued members, except the persistent trolls. If Gustav posts something to which I'd love to answer, I will. If he creates a duplicate thread, a mod, possibly myself, will close it down. If he crosses a line, he'll be reprimanded. If he posts good stuff, he'll be complimented. You see, Gustav is neither more nor less appreciated than the rest of us. We sit at a round table here, except when we break the rules.

So please, whatever was said, whatever was claimed, on both sides, that didn't sit well with the rest, let's forget about it. We have something to look forward to; it's still about a year away and it doesn't even have a name yet, but I'm already thrilled and excited and I feel like sharing my enthusiasm with the greatest group of Bond fans in the world:

you.

And I want @Gustav_Graves to be there too.

Thank you.

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    ^My reaction too if Newman will do the score.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 15,423
    mnhettia wrote: »

the rise of spectre, spectre of hope, spectre of doom, etc. even the word by itself has a ring of mystery and intrigue! and of course it will describe the whole movie!

I see where you're coming from, now @mnhettia.
    If they were to title it Spectre of Defeat, for instance, that would have worked. But, then again, it does feel very simple. In my honest opinion, Bond titles should never sound simple but complicated. A la You Only Live Twice, A View To A Kill, Diamonds Are Forever, The World Is Not Enough etc etc. One word titles also work, but it has to be complicated, too. However, not over-complicated like the 22nd entry. Lord no. Lol!
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,756
    Walecs wrote: »
    ^My reaction too if Newman will do the score.

Imagine... something like this for Bond, with the title theme interwoven masterfully. (@ 2:35)

Can't see Newman doing something intense like that.

Maybe, but can you see Arnold doing anything as great as the score of SKYFALL?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2014 Posts: 16,333

I for one can. If not something better because I find Arnold to be a superior composer over Newman and Zimmer.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 1,756

Arnold definitely has his moments, but I admit Skyfall's score was very good and better than most of Arnold's Bond scores as a whole. But I think there is better than both.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I think the "Arnold vs. Newman" discussion has occured too many times, although I will always choose the former.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I think many or most of us think Newman will be back because of his association with Mendes, not from his love of Bond films or the producers love of his work on Skyfall. :-\"

But far more than that ongoing circle about the composer, I want to say this:

Thank you, @DarthDimi. Your recent post was not only timely (very!) but extremely well written, to the point, and that is all something we need to keep in mind. I do agree, and I thank you for writing all of that.

Let's have discussion and debate, but not get sucked into the vicious cycle that is too easily there to snare any of us. And I hope GG returns soon, too.

:)>-
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    What I have heard from several places online is that the movie will be called DEVIL MAY CARE but it won't be based on the novel (obviously)... Probably a false rumour but who knows?

they've been saying that since the book was published...

honestly though, i love that title - very Bondian without using the old title cliche's...

but yeah, probably a false rumor...

Great title, but unlikely it will be used. They'd have to pay the author. And beside, ding he say something nasty about Craig?

I presume that IFP owns the title and that if EON only uses the title and nothing of the book paying the writer money will not happen. And I am quite sure that the book was written as a job not as some personal expression of the writer. So I am pretty sure they are covered for the writer. As for the owner of the books they will want attention on their products through the most expensive PR machine possible namely the movie franchise.

They'll be opening themselves to all sorts of copyright issues with Sebastian Faulks, should they use his title but not pay him a penny. It has nothing to do with the personal expression of the writer and everything to do with using a title which he could consider "his property".
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Very well said @DarthDimi, we all had our share of disagreements with @Gustav_Graves but I would still prefer him around than gone (though I'm sure he's just fine, taking some time for himself).
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Waltz will probably be clean shaven in Bond 24. A photo from today:
    c0d8cb2775172fa5108923a502d04286.22561.jpg
    Not that I want to give more credit to any rumors, but he does look like OHMSS Blofeld. A bit too handsome, but still.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think Waltz is fine either way, but I sort of prefer a mustache or beard on him.
    Too bad a certain Quentin is hogging that picture (I really do not like him).
    Any official announcement on the press release date? Or is it just speculation?

There´s nothing great about the score of SKYFALL.
    However:
    But I think there is better than both.
    I see a big potential for a solution in that sentence.

Ludovico wrote: »
    Not that I want to give more credit to any rumors, but he does look like OHMSS Blofeld. A bit too handsome, but still.

Hope he keeps his hair, I don't see why Blofeld has to be bald.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He's not Blofeld until Barbara and Michael say he is. ~X(
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 908

I,did. Three times exactly ( and that's only the Bonds). Come to think of it - make that four.