The PTS of FYEO

I think it deserves its own topic, as it is a controversial PTS, maybe the most controversial one. I used to dislike it, now I love it, in spite and sometimes because of its flaws. There is a lot to love: Bond visiting Tracy's grave, which actually connects to the themes of loss and vengeance that is at the core of the movie, a great action scene and the final destruction of Blofeld. Yes, he was turned into a buffoon, but it is not like DAF never happened before (the true desecration of the character IMO, which had started in YOLT). And Blofeld in FYEO was a broken man, physically and mentally, who was but a shadow of himself. Ten years before, I would have wanted something more dignified, but at the time of FYEO, there was no other way to dispose of him.

Anyway, what do you think of it?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the PTS. As short as it is, it's the only real conclusion to OHMSS there is. I don't see Blofeld as a buffoon though. I like to think that after being severely crippled by Bond, it drove him into madness. Blofeld already had interest in technology so It's not out of the realm of possibility that he would have his resources to rig up a remote control helicopter. When I watch the films that Blofeld appears in, I watch them in the order of FRWL, TB, YOLT, DAF, OHMSS then in standard order to FYEO.

I don't see DAF as a sequel to OHMSS because the PTS of DAF starts off in Japan. I like to think that DAF is the direct sequel to YOLT and OHMSS follows it. So you get all the Connery films in order, then OHMSS. But that's my own little theory and arrangement of canon.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    It's very strong. The opening shot of Tracy's grave immediately sets the more serious tone; no gondolas or laser fights in outer space this time.

The producers had to find a way to put the tedious lingering Blofeld question to bed without being able to use his name. Achieving that in the PTS with a nice bit of action thrown in is perfect.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Broke, crippled & insane, Blofeld tried a low-rent last attempt on Bond, and it failed. He went out screaming an obscure mob reference down a deep hole.
    Well done, Commander.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Agreed with everything so far. I used to be a detractor of this particular PTS, but now it's grown on me and I rank it as one of the best (along with TSWLM and TWINE).

And let's not forget Conti's fantastic score!

Another thing I love about the PTS is Bond's enjoyment of it. Roger's sadistic grin makes Blofeld's death all the more satisfying.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    And of course, it's also one massive
    10g03zm.jpg
    To Kevin McClory
    Murdock wrote: »
    Another thing I love about the PTS is Bond's enjoyment of it. Roger's sadistic grin makes Blofeld's death all the more satisfying.
    Yep. Pat him on his dumass head & drop 'im.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    I love the gunbarrel and the bit at Tracy's grave. I think that humanized Roger's Bond a bit and we needed that after MR.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of the Blofeld bit. I find it a bit camp (I'm sure that's what they intended though) and not a fitting enough end. I recognize that due to the rights issue with McLory they could not get into it more but regardless, it's a bit unsatisfying to me given what could have been.

Personally, I prefer a lot more pretitles, including TSWLM (But James....I need you. - So does England), MR (This is where we leave you, Mr Bond. - A little premature, isn't it?), GE (Half of everything is luck James - and the other half?), CR (Made you feel it, did he?), SF (take the bloody shot!), OP (fill er up please!), TB (My dear Colonel Bouvar, you shouldn't have opened that car door by yourself), GF (shocking, positively shocking), TLD (If only I could find a real man......), FRWL etc. etc.

So it's good, but not great to me.

10g03zm.jpg
    To Kevin McClory

I always thought this was partially why was turned into a joke, like they were making him a grotesque caricature of McClory.
    10g03zm.jpg
    To Kevin McClory

=)) Great pic!

On the PTS? It started off really promising, but then got a little silly for me as much as i love dear old Roger!
    Was there any other way to end it with Blofeld though? Since DAF could they have come back to a threatening Blofeld?

And while at first, I didn't understand Bond's attitude. He seemed quite cheerful about the whole ordeal. But then I think it made sense: Blofeld has turned completely mad, he is broken, he is but a shadow of himself and he probably spent his retirement money on his electronic device. Why would Bond be anything else than happy? Instead of showing anger and thus give his old enemy some dignity, Bond finally humiliates him with a punch line and by dropping him down the chimney. it would have been unfit after OHMSS. But after DAF, it all made sense.
  • When I went to the FSWL-event I went up and asked John Glen if it was Blofeld in PTS trough his eyes or if he saw him as someone else. He claimed that it without a doubt was Blofeld. He also said that for him, the last time Blofeld appered was in OHMSS when he was hurt, and therefore he sits in a wheelchair. So the director told me in person, that the bald guy from the PTS is Blofeld indeed!
    So the director told me in person, that the bald guy from the PTS is Blofeld indeed!

That settles that. \m/
    When I went to the FSWL-event I went up and asked John Glen if it was Blofeld in PTS trough his eyes or if he saw him as someone else. He claimed that it without a doubt was Blofeld. He also said that for him, the last time Blofeld appered was in OHMSS when he was hurt, and therefore he sits in a wheelchair. So the director told me in person, that the bald guy from the PTS is Blofeld indeed!

Interesting. So John Glen thinks that DAF is either out of continuity or that the badguy in it was not Blofeld.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Interesting. So John Glen thinks that DAF is either out of continuity or that the badguy in it was not Blofeld.
    If it's supposed to be in continuity then Blofeld was WAY behind the scenes in a wheelchair. Then he disappeared as soon as his plan failed so miserably before a SPECTRE Operative could erase him.

• [quote="
    When I went to the FSWL-event I went up and asked John Glen if it was Blofeld in PTS trough his eyes or if he saw him as someone else. He claimed that it without a doubt was Blofeld. He also said that for him, the last time Blofeld appered was in OHMSS when he was hurt, and therefore he sits in a wheelchair. So the director told me in person, that the bald guy from the PTS is Blofeld indeed!

I don't know why he did'nt think much of DAF because when I was about to ask him he suddenly started to compare Tim and Dan. He was such a nice guy!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    chrisisall wrote: »
    If it's supposed to be in continuity then Blofeld was WAY behind the scenes in a wheelchair. Then he disappeared as soon as his plan failed so miserably before a SPECTRE Operative could erase him.

How about this as a theory which has just struck me as making the whole Blofeld thing more plausible:

All the Blofelds in DAF were doppelgangers and the real Blofeld, paralysed in OHMSS, was playing them from behind the scenes sat in his wheelchair.

This not only makes sense of why Blofeld in FYEO is still in the neck brace last seen in OHMSS but also makes the end of DAF more tolerable as what happens to the Blofeld in the bathosub doesn't really matter anymore as he is just another Blofeld clone.

As for the FYEO PTS itself - I don't dislike it but there's not a lot that stands out as ultra memorable. It's better than the likes of YOLT, DAF, LALD and TMWTGG but some way behind a lot of others - GF, OHMSS, TSWLM, MR, OP, TLD, GE, TWINE, CR and SF are all considerably better. I would have it somewhere in the bottom half probably.

The Tracy's grave stuff is great and for some reason I really like Rog's suit in this scene. The stunt work is excellent without being jaw dropping but Blofeld is a bit too Dr Evil-esque and lets not forget it features possibly the worst line of dialogue ever committed to celluloid which I'm amazed no one has even mentioned yet.
    lets not forget it features possibly the worst line of dialogue ever committed to celluloid which I'm amazed no one has even mentioned yet.
    I mentioned it. The 'obscure mob reference'. You know what it meant, right?
    @TheWizardOfIce I agree with your theory quite a bit.

I like to watch the "Blofeld trilogy" In the order of YOLT, DAF then OHMSS. I like to think that Henderson was just another doppelganger. (My own in mind explanation of why Charles Grey is both Henderson and "Blofeld.")
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,687
    For any here that haven't heard the 'delicatessen' line explanation before:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082398/faq#.2.1.7
    "It seems that a delicatessen was a popular mafia commodity back in the roaring 20's and 30's, and the most valuable delis were the ones with stainless steel countertops (easy to clean, thus less bacteria-laden than wooden chopping blocks). Consequently, a "delicatessen in stainless steel" was considered a worthy gift and thus a potent bribe. It is reported that the phrase is attributable to Albert R. Broccoli."

So Blofeld, now a raving lunatic, was totally regressing here...
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    For any here that haven't heard the 'delicatessen' line explanation before:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082398/faq#.2.1.7
    "It seems that a delicatessen was a popular mafia commodity back in the roaring 20's and 30's, and the most valuable delis were the ones with stainless steel countertops (easy to clean, thus less bacteria-laden than wooden chopping blocks). Consequently, a "delicatessen in stainless steel" was considered a worthy gift and thus a potent bribe. It is reported that the phrase is attributable to Albert R. Broccoli."

Glen said that the "delicatessen-line" was something that Cubby came up with in last few minutes. They did not put much thought into it. They just thought of it as something amusing. I even recorded him saying it. I'l try to find the recording and upload it somewhere. It's me talking to Glen for 10 minutes about FYEO and other Bond movies.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    You can dress it up anyway you want, it was a horrible use of the character.
    Just trying to make lemonade here...
    ;)
  • I gotta say I rank FYEO's PTS pretty low out of the whole series. It starts strong with Bond visiting Tracy's grave, but quickly turns camp with Conti's hammering disco score, Bond scooping Blofeld up with the chopper skid, Blofeld slapping the side of the chopper and begging like a sissy, the pat on the head, the dump down the chimney. I understand folks desiring comeuppance for the character (though I didn't necessarily need it myself), but was FYEO's PTS really any more rewarding than DAF's send-off?

What I will say for FYEO's PTS is that I like some of the aerial stunts. It gets especially tense when Blofeld flies Bond into the building interior. But the silliness overwrites the seriousness.
    was FYEO's PTS really any more rewarding than DAF's send-off?
    Yes, because Blofeld slapped the side of the chopper and begged like a sissy.
    :))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    was FYEO's PTS really any more rewarding than DAF's send-off?
    Yes, because Blofeld slapped the side of the chopper and begged like a sissy.
    :))
    And Roger's wonderful grins and smirks as he has Blofeld begging for Mercy. :D
    Murdock wrote: »
    And Roger's wonderful grins and smirks as he has Blofeld begging for Mercy. :D
    Yep.
    Not perfect, but I still loved it back then, & now. =D>
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I've always enjoyed the PTS. Being trapped inside a remote control helicopter with your arch nemesis toying with you before he sends you to your death? Priceless. Was it the most fitting end for Blofeld? Probably not but it did help to provide me with some closure so I can live with it. I love the fact that it was Sir Rog who eliminated him!
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,687
    pachazo wrote: »
    I've always enjoyed the PTS. Being trapped inside a remote control helicopter with your arch nemesis toying with you before he sends you to your death? Priceless. Was it the most fitting end for Blofeld? Probably not but it did help to provide me with some closure so I can live with it. I love the fact that it was Sir Rog who eliminated him!
    Back in '81 I remember being pretty wowed by the PTS (and in those days the disco beat was kind of cool). Me & my friends were laughing at his death. It was much better than thinking he'd live to a ripe old age after what he'd done in previous flicks. It was when I realised Bond was still working for me.

Birdleson wrote: »
    It was too much of a joke. After what happened in OHMSS, Bond needed to kill Blofeld in a cold and resonant manner, which was set up beautifully with the opening on Tracy's tombstone.
    Of course I'd have liked that so much better, but with the Moore years one took what one could get. ;)
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 12,242
    I've said it many times and I'll say it again; I like the PTS of FYEO a lot. I was very content with the fact they remembered Blofeld and finally killed him off. Was the scene flawless? Obviously not, what with the dumb delicatessen line and all, but I still don't have many issues with it. Moore acted well through the whole thing - solemn as the grave (pun intended) in the cemetery sequence, and teasing Blofeld as he savors killing off his arch-enemy. Dropping him down the chimney didn't bug me at all; at least they thought of something original instead of just shooting Blofeld or something. I like how Bond just treats Blofeld like dirt, dropping him down that chimney without a care in the world. My only gripes are the delicatessen line and the constant laughter from Blofeld; I didn't mind the maniacal, sillier take on Blofeld's character here (seeing as he's a broken man at this point after his encounters with Bond), but the laughing got annoying eventually. Still, it tied up an important loose end, and I appreciate the unique way they carried it out. Overall though I really enjoyed the scene, and it's one of my favorite PTSs of the series.