The PTS of FYEO

124»

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    It might not be a bad idea to have a PTS where Spectre attempt a hit on Bond as he visits a grave, though...
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Venutius wrote: »
    It might not be a bad idea to have a PTS where Spectre attempt a hit on Bond as he visits a grave, though...

Which also establishes that he is completely immune to close-quarters weapons-grade explosives going off in his face if he just puts his arm up... could be something.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They say a film is made in the edit.

Script, direction, editing. These are the three main things. All equally important.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Script, direction, editing. These are the three main things. All equally important.

Hard to argue, but I do wonder about the directing component. I feel as though the position's importance has been a little inflated, considering that I understand the job description to strictly be, to direct the actors.

I think when we think of directors that are famous these days, they're famous for things that are decidedly *not* directing (Nolan [and many currently famous directors] = writing, Wes Anderson = cinematography, etc). I've had many discussions about directors/directing as I try to hone in on exactly what it is and what it is not. Curious about your thoughts on this.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Hard to argue, but I do wonder about the directing component. I feel as though the position's importance has been a little inflated, considering that I understand the job description to strictly be, to direct the actors.

I think when we think of directors that are famous these days, they're famous for things that are decidedly *not* directing (Nolan [and many currently famous directors] = writing, Wes Anderson = cinematography, etc). I've had many discussions about directors/directing as I try to hone in on exactly what it is and what it is not. Curious about your thoughts on this.

You are absolutely right that it is a wide job description. Some are much more hands on than others. Some delegate much of the work, and that is also part of the deal-to pick the right people for the job in order to realise their vision.
  • echoecho 007 in New York

You're thinking about producers. Some are directly involved, some are not.

Directors have to be *very* hands-on because everything is depending on them every moment of the shoot, and they are the final decisionmakers when it comes to what actually ends up on film (editing is a different story).

Nolan and Anderson are more renowned for directing.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    I don't think I'm thinking of producers.

I understand what you're saying about directors being very hands on, I'm essentially just trying to hone in on a true definition of the term "Director". I agree with you though that they are the final decisionmakers when it comes to what actually ends up on film.

I really think Nolan (& co) is more renowned for writing. People always talk about how the themes of his films are to do with time, and there are many other through lines in his work I think, and I really think this all has a lot more to do with writing than directing. I tend to think your analysis is submitting to a more modern definition of "director" which maybe is more akin to something like "filmmaker", because it encompasses a lot more than strictly directing.

For me it all boils down to finding an agreed upon definition of director. For me this comes from a place of thinking that writers are much more important, yet directors are much more revered.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,928
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Venutius wrote: »

Which also establishes that he is completely immune to close-quarters weapons-grade explosives going off in his face if he just puts his arm up... could be something.

The sheer power of the forcefield generated by CraigBond's T-levels repelled the explosion - only when he got gooey over a kiddies toy did his test levels drop to the extent that a missile to the face was any threat. Summat like that, anyhow...
    mtm wrote: »
    Since62 wrote: »
    Just a reminder here -- we did not actually see Blofeld die in the FYEO PTS...just as we did not see him die at the end of DAF, though he certainly had more physical protection around himself at the end of DAF. Might he have had a parachute on that wheelchair, one capable of opening in narrow spaces ? Blofeld being Blofeld, he has a way of surviving.

By the way - I note here a similarity between OHMSS and DAF. At the end of each, Bond has disposed of Blofeld, but not necessarily killed him. Yet, in neither film does Bond bother to go get Blofeld, or Blofeld's body. And after going through so much trouble !

And don't forget, we don't even know for sure it's actually Blofeld! :)

True ! After all - didn't he look a LOT like Otto Preminger ?!!? So perhaps that scene, at least, was in period, since OP was passed, like the inhabitants of the graveyard, by the time FYEO was produced.

Your comment clearly was not written by a Scriptwriter, Director or Editor !!! Nor a producer or actor who'd certainly set the record straight on the implication that these three rank above them !