Octopussy is Moore's best performance???

Comments

There's more to playing Bond than fighting. You need to have that worldly-wise feel. Moore does show that sometimes as I said.
    @doubleohdad Also the fight scene from TMWTGG is pretty solid. Tight quarters, I believe Moore does all the stunts there.

There's a first time for everything. Does he do it with his eyes open? I sure remember him firing a gun many times with his eyes closed.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Yes Moore does close his eyes I remember when he shoots the soldier on the train in OP.

All the actors blink or close their eyes at some point if you look closely. They are actors after all, not actually trained with weapons.
    That's true, but you believe that Connery, Laz and Craig are playing tough secret agents, whereas Moore was simply a good-looking older gentleman playing an overly polite, sweet, kind agent.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Oh, for heavens sake...
    Haha this debate is cracking me up. Roger Moore falls outside of my favorite 3 Bond actors, but I still think he's a good Bond. I really have few complaints about any of the 6 Bond actors.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Moore's Bond was less physical to be sure, but a valid cinematic interpretation of the character anyway IMO. If you want the strict literary Bond on film, well, it has never been done. All we can do here is bandy about out own favourite interpretations. I for one like them all to different degrees, just as I have fun with West (Moorebat)& Clooney's (Lazbat) Batman, I groove to Keaton's (Daltbat), I like Kilmer's (Brosbat), I appreciate Bale's a great deal (Craigbat), and look forward to Affleck's (Connerybat)..
    :)) :))
    Loving all the Moore appreciation!

I think it's a testament to Moore's enduring popularity that he came second in the Bond Actor Elimination game, and even gave Sir Sean a run for his money at one point.
    Rog is a pretty good Bond as long as he has:

1) Something witty to say
    2) Look perfectly refined while eating something
    3) flirt with a younger woman who would have nothing to do with him in real life
    4) cap off an action sequence with a wink, a nice grin and not a hair out of place
    Moore's fight with Kananga, his talk with Scaramanga, his killing of Stromberg, his "Did I?" with Drax, his car-kick with Loque, his bomb diffusing in Germany, his tire-breathing escape in AVTAK...? I don't know how one cannot love the man.

I think it's a testament to Moore's enduring popularity that he came second in the Bond Actor Elimination game, and even gave Sir Sean a run for his money at one point.

I think it's a testament to Rog's duration in the role, and that's about it.

Did the guy ever get a hair out of place?

I think it's a testament to Rog's duration in the role, and that's about it.

Like all the actors to have played James Bond, of course.
    Yeah disagree with that. There's some tough fights in the Connery, Craig and Laz films. Even Goldeneye has that brilliant fight at the end.

Red Grant would just grab Moore's Bond and chuck him out the window.
    Craig would just put a round through Zorin's head and be done with it.
    Lazenby could take on most of the Let Die cast on his own, a really underrated, tough Bond.
    If you've seen his movies you'd know the answer is yes.
    :))
    I repeat, show me a Moore fight that's even close to the classic fights.
    The only one I like is the kicking of the assassin off the cliff in FYEO, and that coolness is simply not comparable to some of the amazing fightstuffs from the other actors.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    If you've seen his movies you'd know the answer is yes.
    :))

So then you think Moore could hold his own against Grant and Oddjob?

He'd trick them into falling into a hole and say something witty as he straightened his tie.

C'mon.
    And with that, ladies and gentleman, I bow out.

Nothing of interest here.
    Moore's a very nice man and a very nice Bond.
    Just my opinion, but I think I've backed it up.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @MayDayDiVicenzo that last comment was meant for the one above yours.

Gotcha

:-bd
    (shrug)

If you have to resort to insults, perhaps you've lost the debate.
    So then you think Moore could hold his own against Grant and Oddjob?

He'd trick them into falling into a hole and say something witty as he straightened his tie.
    Yes he could. These are movies; anything can be made to happen. It's more what the stunt peeps can make it look like than the actor's actual ability at combat.
    Lazenby was the best at physicality. Craig & Connery pretty good. No Bond actor has ever been a Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan or even Dolph Lundgren. And Bond was never meant to be a world-class fighter. He was tough, yes, but his wits were his main arsenal, dude. And he was a good shot.

Bond was tough.
    You think Moore was tough?
    Could hold his own against those two?
    Honestly?
    Isn't there some story about Rog beating someone up in real life? Some hard nut actor? It always gets trotted out at times like this. Anyone?
    All films are about tone, and I don't think that in all fairness and respect that the Moore films were built around his toughness, they were built around his suaveness.
    Know that feels like a put-down, but it's not.
    They tailored the stories to what the actors could do.
    Bond was tough.
    You think Moore was tough?
    Could hold his own against those two?
    Honestly?
    Dude, seriously, I was a stunt guy in films, and am a lifelong martial artist- ANYTHING can be made to look effective in the movies. To be direct here, no, I mostly didn't like Moore's fight scenes, but that's not on Moore, that's on the behind-the-scenes folk. Wanna get real? NO BOND ACTOR EVER would last one minute in a low-level UFC cage match.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    edited October 2014 Posts: 3,347
    Oh man, I leave to pick up Roger Moore's new book and come back to this!

The great thing about Bond is that each actor has their own take that is fresh and new. As successful as Craig's Bond has been, do not expect his successor to be anything like him just because his style succeeded.

Roger's style had serious tones to it, but overall he was the more suave, gentleman, funny, campy, at times ridiculous Bond. I get where any dislike comes towards Rog as the literary Bond was much more serious as were the origins of the film series with DN and GF.

The other greatness of Bond is that your own opinions change. Rog was my 2nd least favorite Bond when I first got into the series. It wasn't until the last 2-3 years that he has become in my top 3 and possibly favorite. Very strange how tastes and opinions change.

If you like Roger's style and his portrayal of Bond, OP might be his most balanced and solid performance. There are others I enjoy more, but I do agree that his performance here is great.
  • I think Connery, Craig, and Moore would be my top 3 Bond actors. Although, with that being said I'm a BIG Brosnan supporter and Tim Dalton was fantastic in the role as well.

Anyone who knows me knows I really (really) don't like George Lazenby (as Bond) but the other 5? All great in my book for what they brought to the role. But yeah, those are my top 3 (I think) on most days.

I think OCTOPUSSY might be my favorite performance from Roger but, as @Birdleson pointed out, he's really terrific in his first two outings. Honestly, I'd argue that Roger never turned in a poor performance. He always gave it his all. Different nuances and such depended on the director as his Bond definitely evolved over his 12 year tenure.
    One of my favorite Moore Films. That and TMWTGG.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2014 Posts: 17,810
    So nobody can come up with a memorable Moore fight on par with Connery/Laz/Craig?
    Pretty much sums up his portrayal.

Here you go: Dr Kananga in LALD, Tee Hee in LALD, Thugs in Saida's Dressing Room TMWTGG, Sandor in TSWLM, Chang in MR, Locque in FYEO, Gobinda on the train in OP, Zorin in AVTAK. You see, when you think about it, there are plenty of fights in the Moore Bond era to choose from!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Zorin in AVTAK.

That is perhaps one of my favourite struggles in the series. The score, the psychotic Zorin, the location...