SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited October 2014 Posts: 4,619
    JamesPage wrote: »
    You know what will be great about a Christopher Nolan Bond film? No second unit.

Not possible given the shoot schedule.

Nonsense. If it was possible in the case of The Dark Knight, Inception and The Dark Knight Rises, it will be possible in the case of a Bond film directed by Christopher Nolan. Nolan dislikes second unit and will probably never use one. Which means he will probably not agree to do a Bond film if he has to use a second unit.

What do you even mean by "not possible given the shoot schedule"??? We are talking about the shooting scedule of a Bond film far into the future. Why is it so inconceivable that a Chris Nolan Bond film would start shooting much earlier than usual? Like 18 months before the premiere?
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Also how do we even Lee's name wasn't listed as a mistake?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Irrespective of who's editing his movies, I don't like the way Nolan directs action. He could really use the assistance of a 2nd unit.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Irrespective of who's editing his movies, I don't like the way Nolan directs action. He could really use the assistance of a 2nd unit.

It's likely the action would still look the same given the fact that the sequences are heavily storyboarded and a second unit director only executes the vision that the director has told him to.

Nolan's action can be a little messy at time but if he came on to a Bond I'd imagine he'd want to shoot both units. I'd imagine if EON snagged Nolan they would likely accommodate their shooting schedule to fit more with Nolan's approach to filmmaking. I doubt they would make him work to the same schedule they gave to Campbell, Forster et al. For instance Mendes was given an extra two months to edit Skyfall and also got two weeks rehearsal period something that had never occurred on other Bond films.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    @Gustav, like I said if you don't like it that's your problem. The fact is, I'm not disappointed that Baird has left, I'm disappointed slightly that Smith is on board and that's based on the evidence of his work. His editing of action scenes do not appeal to me and the last thing I want is to wait 3 years for a Bond film only to be unfavourably edited. I want to see, enjoy and experience the footage that unfolds before my eyes and from what I've seen as mentioned, when it comes to editing action Bond 24 could have done better. Here's a tip for you btw, how about you formulate contributions that are of your own personal opinion instead of citing trends and the general opinions of others. Thinking for one's self is liberating, give it a try and I say this in the nicest possible way.

It's not about "not liking" @doubleoego. The fact is you're implying things....that are simply not true.

I'm not implying anything. I'm flat out saying that I don't like the way the action is edited in the films I've seen in which Smith has edited, particularly Nolan's films and as I already said, I have every right to he cautious but I yet remain hopeful and obviously will wait and see how it all comes together.

You said, and I quote you: "Your acting like Baird isn't Oscar worthy". That's implying stuff.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    There's a lot of nitpicking going on. Let's not do that. Let's not make things personal.

I loved the -let's call it- Batman-PTS of TDKR. Hell, even the 2nd unit from LTK could have learned from that scene. It was not just a terrific action sequence. There was also great acting from Tom Hardy during that sequence. I loved it.

Now about "action" on the whole? I love Bond, I love action movies. Hell, I wet my pants if I see the car chase from "Ronin" again. But sjee guys, can we also focus on aspects like story, plot and, also very important, characterization?

What I admire from each of these directors -Martin Campbell, Sam Mendes & Christopher Nolan- is that they did nut just make an "action movie". Everyone tries to do that nowadays. No, these three directors also helped, with terrific screenplay writers, to come up with complex multi-layered characters. Characters that, with help of stellar actors, come to live and draggg you into the world of either Bond or Batman, regardless of the action.

It's an aspect that franchises like "Mission: Impossible", "Red", "Taken", "Jack Reacher", "Jack Ryan", "The Expendables", "The November Man", "Hancock", "Fast & Furious"and many more still need to discover.

I am convinced "Bond 24" will follow that path, that Bond 24 will try to at least equal the quality of SF and CR.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Thank you, JamesPage.
    And Bond films always have second units. They usually have the best in the business; look at the fine results.

No need for sniping at each other each, by the way.
    Maybe Smith as well then hey? Perhaps Eon are starting the process of luring Nolan in to direct Bond 25?
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Maybe Smith as well then hey? Perhaps Eon are starting the process of luring Nolan in to direct Bond 25?

That's what I said before down below @RogueAgent, allthough my remark resulted in somewhat sceptical reactions :-). Yeah, most people in this topic would reason that Nolan wants to have control over everything. But after upcoming masterpiece "Interstellar" I could understand that perhaps he wants to have a slightly more "relaxed" job on a Bond picture, with help of a 2nd unit. Trust me: Barbara Brocolli and Michael Wilson are on good....very very intense good speaking terms with Chris Nolan.

also on imdb it seems to appear that Christopher Nolan's film editor Lee Smith is listed as the film editor. No Stuart Baird this time. With Hoyt Van Hotema confirmed as DP and Lee Smith listed on IMDB as film editor and Hans Zimmer stating that "Barbara is coming tomorrow night" are Sam and the producers trying to poach all of Nolans technical team for Bond 24 ready to hand over the reigns to Nolan for Bond 25?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2379713/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Great news, if true! Stuart Baird did an excellent job on CR and SF but Lee Smith has an even more impressive resume. Having said that, there is NO WAY the producers are hiring Nolan's technical team for Bond 24 to get him on board for Bond 25. Sam Mendes doing that would be even more absurd. Why on Earth would an A-list director hire the creative collaborators of another director just to make him agree to do the next movie?

First of all, Nolan will probably want to do a Bond film only after Craig's tenure is over, which means he won't direct Bond 25. Even if he did, it would still make no sense for Mendes, Broccoli and Wilson to hire Nolan's team just to get him on board for the next movie in the franchise.

First of all, I think we are ignoring some things here. May I remind you that for Sam Mendes, ánd the Bond producers, Chris Nolan is a source of inspiration. Yeah I know, many forummembers tend to ignore that outside our "forum-cage" "Skyfall" was frequently compared to "The Dark Knight". Mendes said it himself.

Now, if you say Nolan is an A-list director, then Mendes is one too. But Mendes most likely will not return after Bond 24. Daniel Craig however is a different story. Looking at Tom Cruise and his age, but also looking at the success of Crain's Bond films (astronomical success), I am fairly convinced that Baby and Michael want Craig back for a 5th, perhaps even a 6th.

So which director should take over then? Given the fact that Chris Nolan and Barbara are on good speaking terms, there is plentiful space for more negotiations. Perhaps even to lure him into directing Bond 25. So that's certainly not a ridiculous idea. What Nolan said 2 years ago, doesn't necessarily count today.

As much as I love Nolan, isn't he a bit of a "safe" choice?
    Trust me: Barbara Brocolli and Michael Wilson are on good....very very intense good speaking terms with Chris Nolan.

Do you have an inside source? I think the biggest question regarding a Chis Nolan Bond film is whether he will do it with Daniel Craig or only after his tenure is over. My impression was based on previous interviews that he would want to do his own thing including casting the main actor (with the help of the producers of course).

I can't really imagine him doing a Bond film with Craig... Unless it's Craig's last film and he (Nolan) is interested in doing something that has never been done before (and the producers allow him to do that): a movie that is a satisfying conclusion to Bond's story before the next reboot, like Bond's last mission, his retirement or his death.

AdaShelby wrote: »

I think it would be a masterstroke.....a brilliant coup. Also a rather "risky" one, as we know what kind of perfectionist Chris Nolan is. He's a bit like John Barry.....he usually has full creative control about...every part of the moviemaking process.

I think it would be a masterstroke.....a brilliant coup. Also a rather "risky" one, as we know what kind of perfectionist Chris Nolan is. He's a bit like John Barry.....he usually has full creative control about...every part of the moviemaking process.

Also, he would be the first writer-director of the franchise.
    Just briefly re Nolan ... I never considered him as a "safe" choice only because that sounds so bland. I'd love for him to direct a Bond film. I enjoy the visuals and storytelling in his movies very much. Safe? Well, I think I really prefer for well known, rather established directors at this point ... probably because Tamahori and Forster just left a bad taste. They both ended feeling like failed experiments to me.

Trust me: Barbara Brocolli and Michael Wilson are on good....very very intense good speaking terms with Chris Nolan.

Do you have an inside source? I think the biggest question regarding a Chis Nolan Bond film is whether he will do it with Daniel Craig or only after his tenure is over. My impression was based on previous interviews that he would want to do his own thing including casting the main actor (with the help of the producers of course).

I can't really imagine him doing a Bond film with Craig... Unless it's Craig's last film and he (Nolan) is interested in doing something that has never been done before (and the producers allow him to do that): a movie that is a satisfying conclusion to Bond's story before the next reboot, like Bond's last mission, his retirement or his death.

Also succesful directors have the ability to change. And what Nolan has said in the past, could have been slightly altered by....."outside factors". It's a fact that Barbara and Christopher sometimes have lunch together. I could look into that more detailedly. But it doesn't give you more news, except that they meet occasionally.

Chris has the greatest respect for the Bond family, hence his countless references to Bond in his films. But it also works the other way around. Mendes has the greatest respect for the Batman family, hence his references to The Dark Knight in his film.

IMO a cross-over between Bond & Batman could be made as well :-O. 'Now that last sentence is a joke off course ;-).
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 267
    Just briefly re Nolan ... I never considered him as a "safe" choice only because that sounds so bland. I'd love for him to direct a Bond film. I enjoy the visuals and storytelling in his movies very much. Safe? Well, I think I really prefer for well known, rather established directors at this point ... probably because Tamahori and Forster just left a bad taste. They both ended feeling like failed experiments to me.

No doubt his visuals and storytelling are great, but I'm just thinking that everyone's expected him to direct since prodution for Skyfall was announced so no one would be in slightest bit shocked or surprised so I consider that to be a safe choice. He's also guaranteed success and to be honest incredibly predictable. I don't like that in a director. I like to be surprised when a new director comes board. There are plenty of other well established directors, people just keep rehashing the same ideas and the same rumours.
    I definitely want a very good director - whether he is the more popular choice, a friend of the producers, touted as the next director ... or not. I want quality. So I just disagree with you a bit. I don't think Nolan is predictable in any negative way, including looking at his recent films.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119

No doubt his visuals and storytelling are great, but I'm just thinking that everyone's expected him to direct since prodution for Skyfall was announced so no one would be in slightest bit shocked or surprised so I consider that to be a safe choice. He's also guaranteed success and to be honest incredibly predictable. I don't like that in a director. I like to be surprised when a new director comes board. There are plenty of other well established directors, people just keep rehashing the same ideas and the same rumours.

It is not me coming up with Christopher Nolan. It is contracting Hoyte van Hoytema and Lee Smith that started this conversation. You might write a letter to Barbara Brocolli asking her that she needs to stop contracting Nolan's creative team, because you feel it's "cheap rehashing" and that you want to be surprised by her.

Really, if those are your arguments, we'd better cast Mike Meyers for Bond 25.
    I definitely want a very good director - whether he is the more popular choice, a friend of the producers, touted as the next director ... or not. I want quality. So I just disagree with you a bit. I don't think Nolan is predictable in any negative way, including looking at his recent films.

Completely agreed @4EverBonded :-)

• RC7RC7
    It's a fact that Barbara and Christopher sometimes have lunch together. I could look into that more detailedly.

Really? I've never read this anywhere myself. Lots of power players meet here and there, but I've never heard this clarified before. Have you got a source?

It is not me coming up with Christopher Nolan. It is contracting Hoyte van Hoytema and Lee Smith that started this conversation. You might write a letter to Barbara Brocolli asking her that she needs to stop contracting Nolan's creative team, because you feel it's "cheap rehashing" and that you want to be surprised by her.

Really, if those are your arguments, we'd better cast Mike Meyers for Bond 25.

What I'm trying to say is that for me Nolan is no longer an inspired choice because people just keep bringing him up when it comes to director choices. NOT BARBARA OR MICHAEL OR WHOEVER. THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM. I'm just getting quite bored of the "Nolan-hype".

And for the surprise aspect, I say that because Mendes was such a different choice and you didn't know what to expect and now to go from that to using someone who I think is predictable in the sense that I can probably imagine what his Bond film would look like is uninspired to me. The fact that I don't know how Mendes is gonna handle Bond 24 even though he's already made a Bond film makes me more excited. Anyway, Hoyte and Lee could produce very different work in the hands of Mendes.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,015
    I'm just getting quite bored of the "Nolan-hype".

Come on, at least with Nolan they're talking about a director who had zero Oscar nomination for directing, and yet they still consider him worth of doing a Bond movie, that's quite some fresh air :)

But seriously, I agree with you, EON is able to take risks, and some here seems to forget that too often (Daniel Craig ?! Who is he ?!). And if they had cast James Mason or some other big name in Dr No as they were told to do, I'm not sure there would have been a fan forum 50 years later. On the other hand, Kevin Mc Clory went for the "as many Awards nominees and winner you can get" approach for the crew and cast of NSNA, and we're still waiting for the sequel...

About the casting of Lea Seydoux, it'll be interesting to see the impact with the promotion in France, because, well, she's far more than just an actress here :) I'll try to find a meme about her that was popular on some French cinema forum a few years ago.

And if I don't find it, back to hibernation until the official press conference...

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,446
    Who should be assistent editor with Lee Smith. Earlier i already said Mark Sanger who won oscar for Gravity can have been alternate editor of Stuard baid or return as assistent editor. He return then from TMND and Twine and also work on none Bond movies like The Mummy and The Mummy Returns. As Visuael effects editor on Children of Men and Die Another Day.

But mabey it wil be John Lee who work as first assistent editor on all three Batman movies from Nolan and on Master And Commander. Con: Assistant editor on Die Hard 5

Mabey Jennifer Stellema who 4th assistant editor of Batman Begins and TDK going to be part of team, because she also work before with Sam Mendes on The Road to Perdition.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    After looking at a tonne of pics and re-reading what little info/rumours we have, i think Froggatt is going to be the leading lady.
    After looking at a tonne of pics and re-reading what little info/rumours we have, i think Froggatt is going to be the leading lady.

If that's true it looks like we'll be having two blondes this time round. I'm also curious to see what specific stuff you've been looking at @doubleoego

Do you want to bet? I am 100% sure that Froggart will either not appear in the movie or will have a small "non-Bond girl" role like Helen McCrory did in Skyfall. The main Bond girl will be an A-list actress.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    The main Bond girl will be an A-list actress.

The last time we had an "A-List actress" as a Bond girl was Halle Berry. Blech.

Eva Green, Olga Kurylenko, Gemma Arterton, and Naomie Harris became much more famous after appearing in a Bond film.
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited October 2014 Posts: 108

Do you want to bet? I am 100% sure that Froggart will either not appear in the movie or will have a small "non-Bond girl" role like Helen McCrory did in Skyfall. The main Bond girl will be an A-list actress.
    I think the wild card this time is Sam Mendes: He cast Berenice Marlohe in Skyfall; Maya Rudolph in Away We Go; Thora Birch and Annette Bening in American Beauty, etc. Given his track record, Mendes might use Froggatt or another less known actress. You never can tell with him. He might go A-list... but then he might not.
    It looks like we have our henchman: Dave Bautista from this year's Guardians of the Galaxy!
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclusive-bags-bond-henchman-hinx-role-in-bond-24
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 97
    ​Some hot of the press news: WWE Wrestles and Guardians of the Galaxy star Dave Bautista has reportedly been cast in the role of Hinx.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclusive-bags-bond-henchman-hinx-role-in-bond-24