What do you want from Billie Eilish's NTTD's title song?

Comments

The CR and QoS scores were a lot better than Newman's score for SF.
  • Bounine wrote: »
    Bounine wrote: »
    I know who I don't want - Sam Smith. His songs bore the hell out of me.

In terms of composers, I think Newman is the superior artist out of him and Arnold. With Arnold's compositions, you get the impression he gets bored toward the end of the film and just throws in a lot of noise. His scores in the Bond films atleast, aren't as atmospheric as Newman's. The only thing Newman's SF score was missing was a nice slow harmony. One gets the impression with Anold though that he tries too hard to make his scores sound big and Bondian without really properly feeling the mood and tone of the scene. Not all the time but certainly sometimes. He does have some nice isolated tracks, mostly being the slower ones, but overall his Bond scores are somewhat lacklustre. QOS was a bit of an improvement.

I think you'd like this topic @Bounine ;-): http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/bring-thomas-newman-back-for-bond-24-appreciation-topic/p1
  • Getafix wrote: »

You put it down like it is a fact. It is better to say something like "I think the CR and QoS scores were a lot better than Newman's score for SF."

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Getafix wrote: »

You put it down like it is a fact. It is better to say something like "I think the CR and QoS scores were a lot better than Newman's score for SF."

That's funny; I had an English teacher who discouraged putting "I think" in front of a statement. He contended that the fact that you were stating it showed that it's what you think. I know this can be argued; it just brought back a childhood memory YES, we need some real news! ;)

talos7 wrote: »

That's funny; I had an English teacher who discouraged putting "I think" in front of a statement. He contended that the fact that you were stating it showed that it's what you think. I know this can be argued; it just brought back a childhood memory YES, we need some real news! ;)

your teacher had a very good point.
    I know who I don't want - Sam Smith. His songs bore the hell out of me.

In terms of composers, I think Newman is the superior artist out of him and Arnold. With Arnold's compositions, you get the impression he gets bored toward the end of the film and just throws in a lot of noise. His scores in the Bond films atleast, aren't as atmospheric as Newman's. The only thing Newman's SF score was missing was a nice slow harmony. One gets the impression with Anold though that he tries too hard to make his scores sound big and Bondian without really properly feeling the mood and tone of the scene. Not all the time but certainly sometimes. He does have some nice isolated tracks, mostly being the slower ones, but overall his Bond scores are somewhat lacklustre. QOS was a bit of an improvement.

I think you'd like this topic @Bounine ;-): http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7089/bring-thomas-newman-back-for-bond-24-appreciation-topic/p1

Thank you.

But you know it is indeed his opinion. Putting "I think" in front of everything is redundant.

"I think you know it is indeed his opinion. I think putting "I think" in front of everything is redundant." Can you imagine if everyone talked like that?

Stop trying to start stuff and just ignore it if it upsets you. We're now having this same discussion in three otherwise unrelated treads.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I think I agree.
  • Daft Punk! Like in Tron, they could conduct an orchestra so there isn't too much of an electric feel
  • Daft Punk! Like in Tron, they could conduct an orchestra so there isn't too much of an electric feel

Yes! I would love Daft Punk for Bond 24's title song! Their score for TRON: Legacy is one of my favorite scores of all time—and while I sometimes go for the electronic stuff by Vangelis or Tangerine Dream or whomever—I'm generally more a fan of more traditional orchestral scores. But TRON: Legacy was a perfect combination of the two. If Bond 24 really does go the OHMSS route, wouldn't it be great to have Daft Punk write a cool, synthesized title track to go with it?
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,119
    What about Jonathan Jeremiah?? Great British singer, who had some small hits in 2011 and 2012. And who's actually more popular in The Netherlands (thanks to the cooperation with the Dutch Metropole Orchestra). But one can not ignore his wunderful voice! Some examples:

My favourite song from Jeremiah, "Caffeine And Saccharin", still not on YouTube:
    http://nhacso.net/nghe-nhac/caffeine-and-saccharin.X1pXUEZaaQ==.html

And some other songs from hom, including the hit single "Heart Of Stone":

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2014 Posts: 4,436
    Sandy wrote: »
    I really don't like the idea of Lana del Rey, her voice is as fake as the rest of her.

I wouldn't say fake... depressing, yes. Like a broken record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYNUg5j7tr0

That woudl be one aspect of the film I could look forawrd to. [-O<

And...

Nina Nesbitt is from Scotland, you know that country that is stil part of England :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Nesbitt / http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nina_Nesbitt

Daft Punk! Like in Tron, they could conduct an orchestra so there isn't too much of an electric feel

Yes! I would love Daft Punk for Bond 24's title song! Their score for TRON: Legacy is one of my favorite scores of all time—and while I sometimes go for the electronic stuff by Vangelis or Tangerine Dream or whomever—I'm generally more a fan of more traditional orchestral scores. But TRON: Legacy was a perfect combination of the two. If Bond 24 really does go the OHMSS route, wouldn't it be great to have Daft Punk write a cool, synthesized title track to go with it?

Daft Punk with Adele, Alicia Keys (give her another chance), Bono, or some other awesome artist would be genius I think. I know they don't scream "Bond" but with Newman not seeming to want to work on the title song, we'll need someone who knows what they are doing. I think DP showed with their latest stuff how flexible they are. It would definitely be new and popular, if not 100% Bondian.

The producers could always ask for a sample, and go from there.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Daft Punk! Like in Tron, they could conduct an orchestra so there isn't too much of an electric feel

Daft Punk with Adele, Alicia Keys (give her another chance), Bono, or some other awesome artist would be genius I think. I know they don't scream "Bond" but with Newman not seeming to want to work on the title song, we'll need someone who knows what they are doing. I think DP showed with their latest stuff how flexible they are. It would definitely be new and popular, if not 100% Bondian.

The producers could always ask for a sample, and go from there.

And what about my previous suggestions in this topic?
    --> Alison Goldfrapp?
    --> Laura Mvula?
    --> Lana Del Rey?
    --> Jonathan Jeremiah?
    I would have liked Hans Zimmer to be given a turn. He is a brilliant collaborator - happy to work with others and always sharing the credit with those he works with.
    No matter how much he shares credit, it always sounds like 10-20% pretty good till brilliant, and the rest annoying fillers.

In terms of composers, I think Newman is the superior artist out of him and Arnold.
    Newman might be the superior craftsman, but as an artist I don´t see any superiority.
    One gets the impression with Anold though that he tries too hard to make his scores sound big and Bondian without really properly feeling the mood and tone of the scene.
    I wouldn´t call it trying too hard, but having fun. Arnold succeeds in getting at least somewhere near the loud agressiveness of 60s Bond, while Newman fails to get near the sweeping lush stuff of 80s Bond.
  • Michael Buble or Adele. Skyfall had an amazing, almost sultry sound to it and Buble has the classic panache that represents a quintessential Bond
  • Michael Buble would be an excellent choice and, as above, I wouldn't be against an Adele return.....
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 11,119
    Blofeld0 wrote: »
    Michael Buble or Adele. Skyfall had an amazing, almost sultry sound to it and Buble has the classic panache that represents a quintessential Bond

I completely agree @Blofeld0 :-). Have you checked the previous pages in this topic also, mentioning the artists down below?
    And what about my previous suggestions in this topic?
    --> Alison Goldfrapp?
    --> Laura Mvula?
    --> Lana Del Rey?
    --> Jonathan Jeremiah?
    --> Caro Emerald?
    --> Benjamin Biolay

I think I need to add Michael Bublé. So now my lists of favourites (and should-be-contenders) looks like this. Each of them with my favourite example. I'm really curious which one of the down below songs you would choose:

--> Michael Bublé:

--> Alison Goldfrapp (Her music has been used many times for TV series. Time for more!):

--> Benjamin Biolay (I know, he's from France, but he's influenced heavily by American soul):

--> Laura Mvula (tracks #6, #10 & #12 please :-). Remember, she already sang a title song for the film 'Twelve Year's A Slave'. Link? Ejifor ;-)?):

--> Lana Del Rey (She already did some movie songs, including 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Malevicent'):

--> Jonathan Jeremiah (his voice makes me rather...uhm...I won't say it :-P):

--> Caro Emerald:

Perhaps this song from Goldfrapp is a bit....too eclectic for a Bond film, but it has such a wunderful sultry feel to it:
    Metallica?

• JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Metallica?

In al honesty? No :-)

JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    Metallica?

In al honesty? No :-)

I think the music itself is quite atmospheric. Perhaps not the lyrics or singer.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2014 Posts: 4,436
    First Aid Kit http://www.thisisfirstaidkit.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Aid_Kit_(band)

2 Sisters from Sweden.

The new single, there first hit in The Netherlands.

Lorde. She is only 18 but her voice is amazing and even though she hasn't done any song even remotely similar to a Bond song, I believe she would be a great fit!
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Good call about Lorde. Maybe Emile Sande or Paloma Faith.
    Some candidates might be...

Kasabian
    Lana Del Rey
    Lady Gaga
    After her performance in Doctor Who, I think Foxes would be great.

Kerry Ellis too :

• WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Since we won't have him as a composer, I wish David Arnold wrote the title song of Bond 24. He did an excellent job writing Surrender, TWINE and YKNM. Especially You Knoy My Name. So why not let him at least do the title song? It surely can't be worse than Another Way to Die or Die Another Day.

I don't care who will perform it, really, as long as he/she has a nice voice. My top choice would be Caroline Henderson, but it won't happen as she's not famous enough. I also like Caro Emerald's I belong to you, so I wouldn't mind her at all.

Finally, I wouldn't mind an instrumental theme either. OHMSS had the best Bond theme ever written, so I can't see why not another instrumental theme. AWTD would have surely benefitted from being instrumental, it would have been a somewhat decent song rather than an awful cacophony.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Coldplay. A band has not performed the theme song since Garbage did "The World Is Not Enough." A male-led band hasn't since A-ha did "The Living Daylights."

What might Coldplay bring to the table? See here...

I prefer the more successful, classical, orchestral approach like with "Skyfall". For instance:
    --> Alison Goldfrapp?
    --> Laura Mvula?
    --> Lana Del Rey?
    --> Jonathan Jeremiah?
    --> Caro Emerald?
    --> Benjamin Biolay
    --> Michael Bublé.

Some examples of those artists with songs that could be wonderful additions to the Bond theme tradition:

--> Michael Bublé:

--> Alison Goldfrapp (Her music has been used many times for TV series. Time for more!):

--> Benjamin Biolay (I know, he's from France, but he's influenced heavily by American soul):

--> Laura Mvula (tracks #6, #10 & #12 please :-). Remember, she already sang a title song for the film 'Twelve Year's A Slave'. Link? Ejifor ;-)?):

--> Lana Del Rey (She already did some movie songs, including 'The Great Gatsby' and 'Malevicent'):

--> Jonathan Jeremiah (his voice makes me rather...uhm...I won't say it :-P):

--> Caro Emerald:

Perhaps this song from Goldfrapp is a bit....too eclectic for a Bond film, but it has such a wunderful sultry feel to it:
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Goldfrapp is a good option--her style is perfect for a Bond theme song. Problem is, how marketable is she? I get the sense that EON would prefer a "name." Bond theme songs aren't usually sung by obscure artists, which is what made Chris Cornell an odd choice. As great is Cornell is, many moviegoers would not know him by name, only as the lead singer of Soundgarden or Audioslave.
This discussion has been closed.