"Michael Fassbender plays leading baddy and Kevin Durand is his sidekick"

You should work at Mediamass :)

Having said that I would welcome more headlines like these:

"Christoph Waltz plays lead villain, Kevin Durand as henchman" or,

"Daniel-Day Lewis is Blofeld, Dolf Lundgren the bulldozer henchman", or,

"Michael Shannon is 'Nr.2', Robert Maillet plays henchman", or,

"Michael Fassbender plays leading baddy and Kevin Durand is his sidekick"

You should work at Mediamass :)

Nono, you should marry me ;-). Everyone in here knows that we're discussing as fierce as two desperate housewives. :-P So.....wanna?
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,021

@gustav_graves - if I was casting BOND 24 :

Bruno Ganz as Blofeld - Chiwetel Ejiofor as Number 2 - Michael Shannon as trained assassin/henchman

Bruno Ganz would have been a great villain ten years ago or so, now he is a bit too old (and I say this even though I prefer mature villains).
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Bruno Ganz would have been a great villain ten years ago or so, now he is a bit too old (and I say this even though I prefer mature villains).

Which is why I think he would be great playing Blofeld (or head of Quantum for example) and sending out younger villains to cause trouble.

Ludovico wrote: »

Which is why I think he would be great playing Blofeld (or head of Quantum for example) and sending out younger villains to cause trouble.

The thing is, Blofeld has to be old enough to be a seasoned villain in a leadership position, yet still young enough to be able to fight Bond mano a mano and have reasonable chances to win. One of the reasons why I think sometimes Blofeld should maybe only appear after Craig's tenure, against a younger actor playing Bond.
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 1,021

The thing is, Blofeld has to be old enough to be a seasoned villain in a leadership position, yet still young enough to be able to fight Bond mano a mano and have reasonable chances to win. One of the reasons why I think sometimes Blofeld should maybe only appear after Craig's tenure, against a younger actor playing Bond.

If the production wants to introduce Blofeld then you are probably right about having a younger actor play the part. However I still think that Bruno Ganz would be a great villain. Maybe not Blofeld but definately a villain. I'm actually suprised at how young the screen Blofelds have been. Donald Pleasance, Telly Savalas and Charles Grey were in their 40's when they played Blofeld on screen!

• If I was to cast Ernst Stavro Blofeld right now, it would have to be Stellan Skarsgard, although his presence in the Marvel movies would probably stop that from happening.

fhd011GDT_Stellan_Skarsgard_008.jpg

I also still believe August Diehl should play a henchman. Harry Treadaway was more of a suggestion. I also could see August as Blofeld himself if they wanted to go for a younger version of the character.

vlcsnap-2011-02-02-23xiuda.jpg
    But the thing is, Blofeld cannot be young, not as he was written by Fleming anyway (see my post above). They made the mistake casting a far too young and far too youthful looking Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness, which reduced the character into a whitewashed, run of the mill sociopath. I sure hope they will not make such mistake with Blofeld, should they decide to use him again. And we had a youthful villain with Gustav Graves and see the results!
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    And they now have a young Q. They will do whatever they want with the character. I expect Blofeld - if and when he turns up - to not be like the Blofeld of old.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,043
    edited August 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Stellan is definitely an option and also Ulrich Thomson, very effective in Banshee.

If Blofeld is returning we need an actor who has a pedigree but not a huge name, being a very famous will detract from who he is, just get a bloody good European character actor to essay Ernst.

I'd love to see some of the Scandi noir crowd like Pilou Ashbaek or Soren Malling utilised to some effect in a Bond film.
    And they now have a young Q. They will do whatever they want with the character. I expect Blofeld - if and when he turns up - to not be like the Blofeld of old.

There is a huge difference with Q: Q was Llewellyn and Boothroyd's importance in Fleming's novels is marginal. Blofeld on the other hand was Bond's nemesis, his Moriarty, and his background and personality were defined and covered at lenght. Making him youthful would be going the Khan/Cumberbatch way. Not a good idea.

There is a huge difference with Q: Q was Llewellyn and Boothroyd's importance in Fleming's novels is marginal. Blofeld on the other hand was Bond's nemesis, his Moriarty, and his background and personality were defined and covered at lenght. Making him youthful would be going the Khan/Cumberbatch way. Not a good idea.

It's true. The "Q" as we know him is in large a creation of director Guy Hamilton.
    I am rather thinking they will get a more well known actor for Blofeld. Hmmm.

Stellan is one of my favorites! I hope he is in a Bond film someday.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Already posted it at another thread but I thought it would also be interesting here. At an interview that came out yesterda in the Evening Standard, Paloma Faith reveals what she really wants is to sing a Bond theme. Speaking for myself, I think she would be a brilliant choice (but I've been championing her for, I would guess, several years now).

You can read the full interview here: http://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/music/prom-queen-paloma-faith-interview-9698729.html
    Paloma Faith no thanks.

Oh Paloma does have a lot of fans on this forum, I think. :) I simply do not know her work, so I cannot comment.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Oh Paloma does have a lot of fans on this forum, I think. :) I simply do not know her work, so I cannot comment.

Google her, you'll be impressed. And here is her official website: http://www.palomafaith.com/
    In The Sunday People today:

Chiwetel Ejiofor is refusing to deny rumours he is to play the next James Bond villian. Asked this week the 12 years a Slave star said "Who knows, its is all speculative at this point. You will be the first find out". Asked if he wanted to follow in the footsteps of acting legends such as Christopher Lee and Donald Pleasence Chiwi, 37, added: "Its a great franchise any actor would like to be in"
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Do you have a link @Germanlady?
    Brilliant if true. Bring on the henchman next.
    no, no link. This is how it was posted...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 13,351
    How do we know it is from today then?

This type of comment has been in that paper before, back in April when the news broke.

I just want to know it's not the same thing reprinted, that's all.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    We neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed proof! Confirmation!

Things are starting to heat up on the news front.
    Germanlady wrote: »

Chiwetel Ejiofor is refusing to deny rumours he is to play the next James Bond villian. Asked this week the 12 years a Slave star said "Who knows, its is all speculative at this point. You will be the first find out". Asked if he wanted to follow in the footsteps of acting legends such as Christopher Lee and Donald Pleasence Chiwi, 37, added: "Its a great franchise any actor would like to be in"

I really would like him as the next villain!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Why?
  • RC7RC7
    JWESTBROOK wrote: »
    The Rock would rock as a henchman imo. (The o is for opinion.)

Yes I think I forgot I have to include that on every post on this site. And thank you for clarifying.

You don't. Everyone should know all this is opinion and we don't agree with others.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Paloma Faith no thanks.

Why?

Why not? An absolute talent.
  • I could see Chiwetel Ejiofor being a smooth, eloquent, calculating, intellectual type of villain. He's also fit enough to match Bond in a fight. If I'm not mistaken, he would be the franchise's youngest main villain after Elektra.

But yeah, those quotes @Germanlady posted sound virtually identical to what he stated the first time he was asked: It would be a fantastic opportunity, etc... Though that could just be due to him having to remain elusive about the whole thing.

As for the singer: Bring on Lana del Rey. She could do a really silky and sultry title song in the vein of Sheryl Crow's Tomorrow Never Dies. Then again, I could totally see them going with Adele again. She nabbed them an Oscar her first time around so why wouldn't they go for the gold again and simultaneously set about establishing Adele as the series' modern-day Bassey? She was a favorite of Craig's also. Makes sense to me.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2014 Posts: 11,139

Why?

Kind of a dumb question but here's more than enough reason as to why...

He was in his mid to late 20s and already had such a magnificent and compelling screen presence.