Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

I watched Total Recall again a few weeks back. It's pretty fun but fairly silly. I'd say its a 6 out of 10.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Total Recall (2012)
    I can't compare it to the original film as it only share's it's basic characters and story elements. Other than that the plot is very different. Though it's more of a generic Corrupt government trying to wipe out the poor story. It's a very drab and colorless film. All the dialogue is an expository speech where Dialogue in the original film felt realistic and natural. Though the film is well acted and some of the special effects are cool. And bonus points for Quaid reading a Bond novel. However, I prefer the 1990 film. And having seen both films for the first time back to back there is no bias.

Total Recall 1990 9/10 (Pretty cool, fun action movie.)

Total Recall 2012 5/10 (It's an average film at best.)
    QBranch wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Total Recall (1990)
    One of my favourite films, period. We're still waiting for Bruno Louchouarn to release the club song, 'Mutant Dancing' :!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100802/soundtrack

I'm sure you can find it on youtube. ;)
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 11,189
    There is some expository dialogue in the original if I recall, like when the couple are talking next to Arnold on the train going through Mars.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Murdock wrote:
    I'm sure you can find it on youtube. ;)
    The official song/soundtrack has never been released. What's on youtube is just a loop someone made using one part of the song. I know, I've been searching for it for years ;)
    Murdock wrote:
    Total Recall (1990)
    total-recall-1990-movie-poster.jpg
    What a thrill ride. I enjoyed every minute. Everything about this movie is beautiful visually. The futuristic technology, the sets, the space station on Mars, the music by Jerry Goldsmith, it's great. You have what you want, give these people air! Paul Verhoeven at his finest.

9/10

RECALL RECALL...... :)) Sharon Stone looks so sexy in this fantastic film.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    7349863.3.jpg

I loved American Mary, it's one of this decades best horror films. So i've been curious to see the debut film of Jen & Sylvi Soska aka The Soska Sisters aka The Twisted Twins. Unlike American Mary, Dead Hooker In A Trunk displays a dark sense of humour, mixed with an almost cartoonish violence. Now i'm addicted.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Nun's Story (1959)

The%2BNun%2527s%2BStory.jpg

Over the past few weeks I have developed a huge affection for Audrey Hepburn; I try to watch as many of her films as I can. The Nun's Story, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was next on my list. Though this isn't quite as happy and joyful a film as Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Paris When It Sizzles, Funny Face or How To Steal A Million, it's a great motion picture nonetheless.

Belgian-born Audrey was perfectly cast to portray the Belgian sister whose titular story is told in this two and a half hour film. Her struggles with her religious devotion and her determination to help the ill in the Belgian Congo of the 1930s are two major themes in that story. And it's a story told so well that the film was a box office success and ended up earning close to ten Academy Award nominations.

Despite my love for old movies, I'm always somewhat worried going in. Some older films do tend to strain my attention and 150 minutes of that would be downright painful. Also, since Audrey plays a nun, I knew she wasn't going to make my heart beat faster the way she does in Breakfast At Tiffany's, Roman Holiday or Sabrina. But I immediately felt myself immersed in this strange world, intrigued and fascinated, and as usual I'm not disappointed by our lead actress - look at those eyes!

So while The Nun's Story quite surely isn't for everyone, I think it's a great film that hasn't lost any bit of relevance. I know I'm a fan.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    BAIN123 wrote:
    There is some expository dialogue in the original if I recall, like when the couple are talking next to Arnold on the train going through Mars.

Yeah but it wasn't as long and tedious. For example, In the 1990 version. When the doctor is trying to trick Quaid into thinking it's a dream and he's in psychosis the scene is relatively short and sweet. In the remake, It goes on and on and on and on. I think the scene was almost 10 minutes. She's a dream, You wanted me to do this. Blah blah blah.

To be honest, Total Recall 2012 felt like it should have been a Blade Runner sequel.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'The Raid 2'

My blu-ray copy came in the mail two days ago. Immediately opened it and watched it, and I'm already rewatching it again. If you're in the mood for good drama and some of the best action you'll ever see, watch this film, now, subtitled in its original language/audio.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'The Raid 2'
    The best thing about this film is that for the first 60 seconds after it finishes...

I KNOW SILAT. B-)

:))
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,371
    @QBranch, right there with you. I strut out for a cigarette, praying that a few guys will rush me out of the blue, so I can show off all the great moves that I totally don't know! You should've seen me walking out of '300.' Boy, that was something.

'Sin City'

This film is too unique and entertaining to ever get old to me. I've seen it so many times and each viewing is just as exciting as the last. Great cast, entertaining, nobody is safe, fantastic dialogue, and while I was excited for years for the sequel, I'm not getting hopes up for it. I'll go in not expecting perfection and hope I'm presently surprised.

'Sabotage'

Well, I commend this film for some surprisingly good acting performances and for being a lot more realistic in terms of blood and gunfights than I had expected. I also didn't expect it to be so much of a mystery/thriller than I did an action film. It's weird reading that the studio wanted the film cut to be more of an action film, so I'm guessing there was even less in the original three hour cut. Script is wonky, the one major plot hole really bothers me because it essentially destroys a big portion of the film, but overall, it was good. Not great, not terrible.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,882
    Behaving Badly
    I don't think I could have gotten through this if it were not for the casting of Heather Graham and Elisabeth Shue. Not a high point for either.

Grand Piano
    I've been wanting to see this since it was reported.
    Tom Selznick (Wood) is the most talented concert pianist of his age and one of the most talented alive today. 5 years ago, he took to the stage to play "La Cinquette" aka, the unplayable piece, but Selznick suffered a bout of stage fright, and pulled out. Now 5 years on, he is determined to stage his comeback to a packed audience. Cusack is (who for the most part is a voice through a earpiece) is a mysterious watcher in the audience, who is determined to see Selznick succeed in playing "La Cinquette" for his own reasons.
    I am not an expert of Hitchcock, not even a novice, but what little I have seen of Hitchcock, I think that it is fair to say that Grand Piano is the sort of film Hitchock could have made in 2013.

Sarah's Key
    Emotional drama starring the always superb, Kristin Scott Thomas. Dr K can sum up the film better than I:

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    'Sabotage'

Well, I commend this film for some surprisingly good acting performances and for being a lot more realistic in terms of blood and gunfights than I had expected. I also didn't expect it to be so much of a mystery/thriller than I did an action film. It's weird reading that the studio wanted the film cut to be more of an action film, so I'm guessing there was even less in the original three hour cut. Script is wonky, the one major plot hole really bothers me because it essentially destroys a big portion of the film, but overall, it was good. Not great, not terrible.

Is that the '36 Hitchcock film, @Creasy? You'd be surprised how many films have that title, so I just wanted to know which you saw.
    @MajorDSmythe, I liked your review, makes me want to speed up the process and hurriedly get to 'Grand Piano.' I've been interested in it ever since I saw that trailer.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I wish it was something more refined. The 'Sabotage' I was talking about was the 2014 Arnold Schwarzenegger film.
    The Fugitive

Thoroughly entertaining thriller which for the first 40 minutes is pure cinematic brilliance. Although there are a few weaker moments after that the film has excellent performances from Ford and Jones.

8/10

A couple of things that bothered me
    It wasn't explained why the police hadn't checked Kimble's car phone records earlier. If they had then they would have found the connection to Sykes and the whole thing would have been solved
    The twist involving Copeland's death felt kind of contrived to me - especially as he'd not been mentioned before by Gerard or his team.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe, I liked your review, makes me want to speed up the process and hurriedly get to 'Grand Piano.' I've been interested in it ever since I saw that trailer.

There are threads on the IMDB listing the films plot holes, though to be honest, I only picked up on one, involving the mobile phone. But if there was one thing the film got absolutely right, then it was the casting of the leads. I can't think of more perfect choices than Elijah Wood & John Cusack. It doesn't make my Cusack top 10, but it is just outside at #11.
    Well I'll still have to watch it ASAP while it's on Netflix Instant.
  • Just watched Bullitt again - something about this movie....no not the car chase, it's the emptiness that surrounds our protagonist that gives it an atmosphere that is compelling. Great sound track, matched by Dirty Harry's. It's all quality stuff. Again proving that the from 1967 - 1979 - Hollywood's screen writing was at its best.

Makes me think about all cg and sfx and reboot films I do enjoy but ultimately leaves me still looking for a modern classic film. I suppose TV has now all the creative writing and ideas.

Looking for interesting films? Look to foreign fields.

@forgotmyusername, yeah, but that car chase...incredible stuff! I haven't seen the film in a long time, but the performances and that car chase will always stand out in my mind. That's something that is hard to forget.

If you want a good thinking man's film, please check out Villeneuve's 'Enemy.' I can't recommend this enough. Sit down, pay attention, (avoid the spotty CGI in one scene), and let yourself become enveloped in all of the details and hidden meanings as you make your way towards that insane ending.
    The new Total Recall, in response to @Murdock's reviews, gets 0/10 because Colin Farrell doesn't say "Geev this pippl aaaaaaauuuuuur!"
    The new Total Recall, in response to @Murdock's reviews, gets 0/10 because Colin Farrell doesn't say "Geev this pippl aaaaaaauuuuuur!"
    =))

"Git yoh aas ta maauhhz!"
    QBranch wrote: »
    =))

"Git yoh aas ta maauhhz!"

"Consider dat a divorce".
    I've seen Bullit a few times, and yet all I remember is the car chase. Even then, I don't think it is 'the greatest car chase'. Now The French Connection, which unlike Bullit, is worth watching from start to finish, has 'the greatest car chase' put on film (not to mention Hackman at his career best).
    I only saw Bullitt a few years back, but I couldn't get over how much McQueen reminded me of Craig. Not just the likeness, but the way he carried himself in the film was remarkably like Bond in QOS. The seemingly mopey mood, his lack of dialogue, exchanged for moments of contemplation etc.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 23,448
    Wrong Turn 1 - 5

10644033-1359376902-341473.jpg

I did a bit of a Wrong Turn marathon over the past few days and I'm finally finished with it. That is until yet another entry in the series, the announced Wrong Turn 6, hits DVD shops.

2003 was when I went to see Wrong Turn in theatres as a double feature with Freddy Versus Jason. I quite liked the first Wrong Turn film and still do to this day. Some genuine scares and bits of excitement, combined with more or less adequate acting performances, give me a good time.

The sequel had some funny moments and still amused me but after that, things went bad very fast. The fifth film in particular couldn't have been more boring. I never thought I'd say this but Doug Bradley is absolutely uninteresting in this one. And he's most likely the only one with any acting experience at all!

So I'd rank them like this:

good
    WT 1

sort of good
    WT 2

bad but at times enjoyable
    WT 4
    WT 3

abysmal
    WT 5
    Gentlemen--Hitch's film is 'Saboteur' not 'Sabotage'. It is quite good. I also enjoy '39 Steps' as Robert Donat is a great actor. I wonder what Hitch's obsession was with blondes?

As far as car chases goes, there was a French(?) film done in the early 70's that featured a chase above ground and then in the subway. It was the best one ever. Makes all others a nice ride in the country.

For MajorDSmythe---"Do you pick you feet in Poughkeepsie?"
    Kindergarten Cop

"Take da toy back to da carpaatt"
    Watched "The Wonders Of Aladdin" (1961) with Donald O'Connor and Terence Hill yesterday. Great movie! Very funny. Loved it!!!
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,879
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Kindergarten Cop

"Take da toy back to da carpaatt"
    haha. Love that film. "IT'S NAHT A TOOMUH!"
    Best line in Kindergarten Cop

0.jpg

"Boys have a penis, and girls have a vagina."