Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Murdock, 'Harry Brown' was one fantastic film. Michael Caine getting proper revenge by blasting bad guys throughout the film is enough entertainment for me.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Murdock, 'Harry Brown' was one fantastic film. Michael Caine getting proper revenge by blasting bad guys throughout the film is enough entertainment for me.

Any revenge film is entertaining for me. Not sure what my favorite is. :)
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,473
    Now that I'm narrowing down my blu-ray collection, I find myself rewatching more of my movies instead of being stumped on what to watch, which is nice. Just rewatched 'Under Siege,' because I can't get enough of Steven Seagal shooting and stabbing people to death for 100 minutes, and now I'm going to do a back-to-back of the first two 'Halloween' films. Part of me wants to wait so I can get the 'Halloween' digibook which has slightly better audio and visual components, but I can watch this film anytime. :-)

EDIT: Just watched 'Neighbors.' It was pretty funny, it had its moments, but definitely not all it was amped up to be. I feel like comedy and horror films receive way too much praise lately, and anytime one is recommended to me, it's nowhere near as top quality as everyone says it is.
    Went to see 22 Jump Street at the cinema a few weeks ago. Brilliant film. Honestly I can't think of a better comedy sequel. Really self aware and really funny. I think it might be even better than the first one. Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Ice Cube, the whole cast were great. Even the credits were brilliant.

Probably my second favourite film of the year so far (only The Raid 2 beats it). Well worth a watch.

10/10

I also saw Godzilla, which I felt was a let down. Wish I'd gone to see Bad Neighbours instead. Never seen a Godzilla film before but I found it really boring. Special effects were good but it was really slow paced, I lost interest halfway through, and the only character I really liked died about 20 minutes in. The rest of the characters were really bland. Even the final fight was a let down because of how slow it was.

Bryan Cranston was brilliant as always but he was barely any it. He has a minor role, Aaron Taylor Johnson is the lead. The studio just used Cranston in all the marketing to capitalise on how massively popular he is at the moment thanks to Breaking Bad. Really pissed me off, he was one of the main reasons I went to see it and he had really little screen time. I felt tricked.

Also I thought the ending was silly.
    They praise Godzilla as the saviour of the city. Well yeah he killed the other monsters but he probably killed loads of people himself throughout the film. Even as he walks back to the sea, every step he takes probably kills some people or at the very least destroys some stuff.

6/10. It wasn't really a bad film but I did think it was a boring one.
    @thelivingroyale, I finally caved and watched 'The Raid 2' (dubbed, unfortunately) online. One of THE best action films of all time.
  • Pulp Fiction. Saw it for the first time actually...
    Pulp Fiction. Saw it for the first time actually...

:O

What were your thoughts?

As for me, just watched 'Terror Train' for the first time. On a bit of a Jamie Lee Curtis/horror fix, and I decided to watch this. Honestly, I'm not a fan of it. Incredibly slow-paced and it lacked on showing almost any of the kills.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

What a nutty stupid ridiculous movie. I loved it.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 654
    Creasy47 wrote:

:O

What were your thoughts?

As for me, just watched 'Terror Train' for the first time. On a bit of a Jamie Lee Curtis/horror fix, and I decided to watch this. Honestly, I'm not a fan of it. Incredibly slow-paced and it lacked on showing almost any of the kills.

Well, I guess I liked it a bit... It had some cool moments. I like the scenes with Willis, and you gotta love Jackson and Travolta. And the reason I watched it: Walken! He´s my favourite villain, so I thought it would be fun to see him act in something else, since I´ve only seen him in "Catch Me If You Can" and AVTAK. I was really pissed off when I found out that he was only in the film for three minutes! It was three amazing minutes, but still!!
    chrisisall wrote:

What a nutty stupid ridiculous movie. I loved it.

One can say the same about DAD, if you remove that last part...

@fromswedenwithlove, yeah, Walken really isn't in the film at all but for one monologue, but it's one fantastic (and disgusting) monologue. I loved his appearance in it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,934
    I'm on a bit of a classic sci-fi trip ATM, and I just finished watching The Fly (1958). If I had known David Hedison was in it, I would've got to it sooner! Awesome!
    'The Exorcist'

I haven't seen this in years, all I knew is that demon faces pop up randomly throughout the movie, and something about a stairwell and puke, it's been that long. But, this movie came out in the 70's, it's been hailed the scariest movie of all time by so many people, but I figured "Hey, if it didn't leave a lasting impression on me when I was a kid, it won't now." Plus, the movie is roughly 40 years old, so it's more than likely incredibly corny now.

Nope! Took me hours to get through this movie. It gave me chills, made my heart race, just the sheer creepiness (and damn good jump scares) that had me freaking out. Had to turn on all the lights while I watched it. Took to IMDB's trivia page afterward and learned a lot of unique stuff about it, too (like I usually do), which was pretty cool and helped ease the tension afterward.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I actually laugh uncontrollably when watching The Exorcist. It's not a "horror film" I'd run to. It isn't especially scary to me and a lot of the plot is very much hidden from the viewer because of a lack of proper exposition, leaving us only to assume what is going on. I'll have to give it a rewatch closer to Halloween, maybe, but nothing about it would have me rushing back.
    I think the randomly-appearing Pazuzu faces, the spider crawl, and the overall unknown origin as to how Regan became possessed is what really gets to me. That, and I went into it expecting it to be dull and boring, but it really surprised me.
    Predators - We do not need a reboot but a sequel to this one. It was so much fun and a huge step up from anything called AvsP.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Predators - We do not need a reboot but a sequel to this one. It was so much fun and a huge step up from anything called AvsP.
    I agree. After AVP (decent, but there was something missing) and the disappointing AVPR, Predators was a breath of fresh alien jungle air. The crew behind the film said there were unused ideas that could go towards a sequel. So, why the change of mind? :-?
    Iron Man 3 It was pretty good. Action was decent and there were some good lines and funny moments. Robert Downey Jr really makes these films though. He's brilliant, he completely owns the role and these films are going to suffer for it when he leaves.

I also liked the twist. Everyone on the internet was bitching about it but (I say this as someone who doesn't read comics) I thought it was a good twist. I didn't see it coming. Ben Kingsley was great too, he pretty much plays two characters and he's great at both. It reminded me of RDJ in Tropic Thunder actually (an actor playing an actor playing a character).

The Wicker Man The Nic Cage remake. I think the original is brilliant but this one is great for an entirely different reason: it's so bad it's funny. If I want to see a brilliant creepy horror film that manages to make you feel uneasy without relying on jump scares and gore then I can watch the first one. But I also really enjoy watching Nic Cage punch a woman in the face while dressed as a bear.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @thelivingroyale, I finally caved and watched 'The Raid 2' (dubbed, unfortunately) online. One of THE best action films of all time.

Yeah it was amazing. It had everything that made the first one brilliant and more but it wasn't just a retread of the first one. A great example of a sequel done right.
    SaintMark wrote:

I think with some better action/fight sequences, I would love a sequel to 'Predators.' I loved the setting and the characters, especially Brody's main character. However, the upcoming Predator work we're getting is more of a sequel to 'Predator' than a reboot.

@thelivingroyale, agreed. I saw some people complaining that it wasn't just like the first one, but honestly, I'm glad it stretched out beyond one location, giving us numerous scenarios for fight scenes and many, many more characters to learn about. Oh, and:
    That fight scene in the kitchen towards the end? That will forever be in my top three hand-to-hand fight scenes from movies. Unbelievable.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    the upcoming Predator work we're getting is more of a sequel to 'Predator' than a reboot.
    That's great to hear. I found a newish article outlining vague 'what if' ideas for a sequel to each individual Predator film:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1855520/predator-sequel-reboot/

I particularly like the Arnie/Danny Glover team-up for a direct sequel to the second film. How epic would that be!
    I hope it doesn't return to Earth. I like seeing an elite squad in unfamiliar (or uncharted) territory that is against all odds, battling an ancient race that knows the landscape and terrain like the back of their hands. It's great.
    Murdock wrote:
    Harry Brown (2009)
    At any age, Michael Caine always kicks @$$.
    Harrybrown.jpg

It is a great film and Caine is just pure class!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Harry Brown (2009)
    At any age, Michael Caine always kicks @$$.
    Harrybrown.jpg

It is a great film and Caine is just pure class!

Maurice Micklewhite is still going strong at 81.
    That was the name he was born with.No wonder he changed it. :)
    'I Saw The Devil'

A wonderful Korean film that is all around intense with a few good fight scenes, wonderful acting and cinematography, a typical plot with an exciting twist, and a great finale. Now that I'm on a foreign fix, time to rewatch 'The Raid: Redemption.'
    Enough Said
    Funny romantic comedy with Jim Gandolfini and Elaine. It has some good acting and interesting twists.
    I really enjoy it but it was also sad because it was one of Jim's final movies.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 40,473
    'Jack Reacher'

I hated it the first time I watched it, loved it the first time I rewatched it, and it's "so-so" upon my second rewatch. Doesn't stand out in any sense, pretty generic, the hand-to-hand fight scenes are mediocre, but I love the driving sequences and a good portion of the dialogue. Other than that, it's just alright.

'Enemy'

Directed by the same guy (Villeneuve) who directed 'Prisoners,' and both of these films starred Gyllenhaal. A history teacher watches a movie, and he sees someone in the movie that looks exactly like him. He sets out to find this man. That's all you need to know. Sounds simple enough, but this film will have you itching for me, chewing at every detail to figure out what in the hell is going on until those unbelievable few seconds of the movie that changes everything. Just watch it. Don't read up on it. Don't watch any trailers. Just jump right into it. This film seriously blew my mind.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Jack Reacher'

I hated it the first time I watched it, loved it the first time I rewatched it, and it's "so-so" upon my second rewatch. Doesn't stand out in any sense, pretty generic, the hand-to-hand fight scenes are mediocre, but I love the driving sequences and a good portion of the dialogue. Other than that, it's just alright.

Ah, so you're coming around to my opinion of the movie, eh? ;) That's exactly how I'd describe it: just alright, and a bit "meh." Even Tom couldn't save that film.
    Predator [1987] starring Schwarzenegger one of those brilliant actioners that have not been bettered by any modern cinema. The brilliance is that this variety of men fights their worst nightmare and yet you never see this group as racially diverse but as men working together for a common goal. The predator was a game changer in cinema, with Alien & the predator as something unique and original, still to this day. The cast of this movie is brilliant and well chosen.
    A cracking actioner that anybody who is into action movies needs to have seen or should not be considered a fan of the genre.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 6,396
    SaintMark wrote:
    Predator [1987] starring Schwarzenegger one of those brilliant actioners that have not been bettered by any modern cinema. The brilliance is that this variety of men fights their worst nightmare and yet you never see this group as racially diverse but as men working together for a common goal. The predator was a game changer in cinema, with Alien & the predator as something unique and original, still to this day. The cast of this movie is brilliant and well chosen.
    A cracking actioner that anybody who is into action movies needs to have seen or should not be considered a fan of the genre.

I really like Predator but just because others may not, doesn't mean they can't be a fan of the genre.
    SaintMark wrote:

I really like Predator but just because others may not, doesn't mean they can't be a fan of the genre.

I did not say like, they should at least have seen the movie!
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

I did not say like, they should at least have seen the movie!

Fair point. I assume you've seen The Raid movies?