Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I asked someone else on the blu-ray forum if it was worth the blind buy (since buying them together in the special blu-ray double pack will save me money than buying them separately), and he said he went against the opinion of the masses, preferring 'Sanjuro' because it's really cool and it puts the main character in a more believable position or something like that?

I can! I loved watching him play the sides the entire time. It was great.

=)) the entire time I watched it and looked up at the title of the film, I would say aloud (to myself...in my room...alone) "Yo...jimbo!" Haha. I'll never, ever unsee it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    the special blu-ray double pack

:-O

More wallet violation for me.... #-o
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    the special blu-ray double pack

:-O

More wallet violation for me.... #-o

You should see me. Barnes & Noble is having a 50% off all Criterion films sale right now. I'm going in-store Friday with a load of coupons and buying all of these:

'Che'
    'The Samurai Trilogy'
    'Traffic'
    'Yojimbo/Sanjuro'

And these will be blind buys. Definitely the first two, iffy on the second. Not sure if I really want to spend $150 on movies when I'm broke:

'Seven Samurai'
    'Kagemusha'
    'Tess'
    'Brazil'
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,687
    Here's another I want, but I'm a bit on the financial edge myself...
    http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sun-Charles-Bronson/dp/B000ROAPTA
    That was a really cool film. Not nearly Kurosawa, but a lot of fun. AND, directed by our own Terence Young!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Here's another I want, but I'm a bit on the financial edge myself...
    http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sun-Charles-Bronson/dp/B000ROAPTA
    That was a really cool film. Not nearly Kurosawa, but a lot of fun. AND, directed by our own Terence Young!

It's wild seeing an older DVD go for $30. Even paying $14 or so for 'Hell Night' on DVD the other night was surprising to me, but if a film is good enough and not available on blu-ray, then I'm willing to shell out the proper cash for it. I hope after my trip Friday, that's the last set of movie purchasing I do for a long while...but probably not. :P
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 23,449
    Roman Holiday (1953)

roman-holiday-bfi-00m-ewb.jpg?itok=Ghot9dub

William Wyler's Roman Holiday is a film every romantic should watch. It tells the story of a young royal princess who sneaks out of her palace for an innocent bit of pure fun with a reporter, played by Gregory Peck. The princess herself is played by Audrey Hepburn in her first lead role and one which would lead her straight into winning the Oscar. And why not! She was only 24 when she starred in Roman Holiday but she makes every heart beat faster, including mine. :x

Roman Holiday is a heart-warming film, and they don't make them like this anymore.
    'I, Frankenstein'

It was free, so I figured why not. Aaron Eckhart (who sounds like Haley's version of Freddy Krueger in this film) plays Adam - Frankenstein's monster - as he evades hell-spawned demons for hundreds of years. Cheesy acting, terrible CGI, really bad editing. It's the perfect running time for a movie you'd expect to be a fun way to kill 90 minutes, but it's completely bad, instead. I don't even deem this rental-worthy...even if it's for the price of free.
    I had been looking forward to I, Frankenstein, as I'm a big fan of Yvonne Strahovski, but all of the trailers and spots for it looked terrible and I still haven't read a positive review for the film.

Sounds like it'll be one of those films that garners a solid number of Razzie nominations come early next year.
    @dalton, it may be overlooked due to the amount of garbage that has been released this year, but you never know. Another bland, blue-and-orange color ridden movie that had no substance, bad acting, worse CGI, and a terrible plot.
    Sounds like the typical January release. I'm kind of surprised that the studio had originally wanted to release it in late summer, given how universal the criticism has been for it.
    I have no hope for January or August titles anymore. The RARE occasion occurs where one does release in either month that ends up being good (hopefully 'Guardians of the Galaxy') or at least looks good ('Elysium,' which went on to completely disappoint me.)

I knew the film was bad from the start with the title. I'm surprised not a single person stood up the entire time during filmmaking and thought "Wait...you guys DO know that the monster isn't Frankenstein, right?" And even though in the film it is shown that he is 'Adam,' the monster of Frankenstein, he still calls himself 'Frankenstein.' I don't get it. I suppose with a film like this, you really aren't supposed to question any of the glaring issues it has.
    dalton wrote: »
    I had been looking forward to I, Frankenstein, as I'm a big fan of Yvonne Strahovski
    But she's so unattractive & homely... thin & skanky...

What did Chuck ever see in her?

:P
    Birdleson wrote: »
    7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS (1954).

Did you like it? I haven't seen that film in a very, very long time. I remember enjoying it, but I think I saw it in sixth grade or something in one of my classes. Seems like a very random choice for any class, now that I think about it...
    The Children's Hour (1961)

936full-the-children%27s-hour-screenshot.jpg

How far can a lie go? Just ask Shirley MacClaine and Audrey Hepburn. In this exceptionally powerful drama film by William Wyler they play two young ladies who open a private school for girls. When one of those girls, a spoiled bully, doesn't get what she wants, she makes up a story about the two teachers that sets in motion a dramatic chain of events, including accusations of morally despicable behaviour, court cases and more. Lillian Hellman, on whose play this film is based, was blacklisted by the HUAC; I wonder how much the theme of the story is inspired by Joseph McCarthy's witch-hunts.

Can a lie really go that far? The story certainly is told in a convincing way. And in an unpredictable way! I constantly thought I could tell how the film would end, but I was time and again proven wrong. The acting is great. This is Wyler's second film with Audrey after her Oscar winning Roman Holiday (1953) and they would reconvene five years after The Children's Hour for How To Steal A Million. Once again though, Audrey would steal my heart.

I, for one, won't lie. The Children's Hour is a marvellous film. It proved a box office failure at the time, perhaps because of its additional theme of lesbianism, but was nevertheless nominated for five Oscars and has since its release regained much praise. I find the story to be as significant today as it was then. A great film.

'Under The Skin'

This is why I watch movies. I went into it knowing nothing, just a small idea of the plot, I knew Scarlett Johnasson was in it, and that was it. I suggest you do the same if you've heard of the film or if it interests you. Small plot: Scarlett plays an alien from another planet who comes to Earth to feed off the bodies of men who she swoons with sexual promises. Of course, she starts to feel compassion as time goes on. Some might call it 'artsy,' or boring, or slow, and I can get that, that's how I felt at the beginning of the movie: long periods of silence, of nothingness, but as it kicks off and you start realizing what's going on, it gets better. Her initial attempts at getting men to come along with her are great because the director used a hidden camera, so the men had absolutely no idea it was a movie until after the scene was finished. If you feel like this might be for you, please do check it out. I thought it was going to be dull, and loved it more and more as it went along. There's a certain uniqueness to it that I don't see in films too often.
    @Birdleson, may i ask what your favourite Donen film is? :-)
    Probably SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, which contains my favorite scene in the history of cinema, but ON THE TOWN is close.

Good choices. I myself would say Charade. It's the closest he's ever come to Hitchcock I think. I love Cary Grant in that film. ;-)

How about Funny Face, @Birdleson?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Swing Time
    To honor what would have been the 103rd birthday of Ginger Rogers, yesterday, I felt in the mood to watch one of my favourite Ginger films, and my favourite Fred & Ginger film. The 6th of their 10 films, the two come together perfectly, a joy to watch.

When Eight Bells Toll
    Hopkins gives a good stab at a working class Bond. I like the theme, but the fights could have been done better, especially the one in the graveyard.
    Sabotage with Arnie. It's just "meh". Very violent but I didn't care for any of the characters one bit.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    SWING TIME is excellent. The only Astaire and Rogers' film I prefer is TOP HAT.

I have seen 8 of the 10..

1. Swing Time (1936)
    2. Carefree (1938)
    3. Shall We Dance (1937)
    4. The Story Of Vernon & Irene Castle (1939)
    5. Top Hat (1937)
    6. The Gay Divorcee (1934)
    7. Flying Down To Rio (1933)
    8. Follow The Fleet (1936)

That leaves Roberta & The Berkleys Of Broadway.
    Recently watched Westworld, still a very tense movie certainly the third act.Like many good sci fi ahead of its time.

Rocketeer, bought this a few months back. Great fun Dalton and Arkin are excellent, Jennifer Connoly is gorgeos, remember watching this first time around. Enjoyed it as much now as I did then. Good score by Horner, flying sequences and action stand up well.
    'Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit'

The only thing I was really interested in during this film was figuring out what the terrorist attack was going to be. That was it. Didn't care for the characters that much, the editing was horrid (still not sure why I ever trust these generic action films to have proper editing. Who hires these people?), the action sequences were predictable and dull, and you pretty much saw the entire film in the trailers, so nothing new was presented. It was a pretty bad film, yet another one that I thought would be entertaining enough to spend 90 minutes on, but sadly, it wasn't.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Rocketeer, bought this a few months back. Great fun Dalton and Arkin are excellent, Jennifer Connoly is gorgeos, remember watching this first time around. Enjoyed it as much now as I did then. Good score by Horner, flying sequences and action stand up well.
    Just finished watching Rocketeer. Haven't seen it in such a long time, I forgot pretty much all of it. What a fun film though. Yes, Connelly is stunning and Dalton steals the show, as usual- but what's up with that Lothar character? He doesn't quite fit in here, too similar to a Dick Tracy goon. Anyway, those 90s period films were a treat weren't they? The Phantom, The Shadow, Forever Young etc.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Probably SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, which contains my favorite scene in the history of cinema, but ON THE TOWN is close.

Good choices. I myself would say Charade. It's the closest he's ever come to Hitchcock I think. I love Cary Grant in that film. ;-)

Well, you both just listed some of my very favorite films! I adore Audrey, Gene, and Cary - all three. 8-> Singing in the Rain is still one of the all time great movies ever made and one I need to see again soon. On the Town is so much fun and captures a sense of America at that time. And Charade is sublime (I own that one). I think I'll try to catch some Audrey this weekend, as well as buy Singing in the Rain if I can (sometimes older movies are for sale here).

SWING TIME is excellent. The only Astaire and Rogers' film I prefer is TOP HAT.

I have seen 8 of the 10..

1. Swing Time (1936)
    2. Carefree (1938)
    3. Shall We Dance (1937)
    4. The Story Of Vernon & Irene Castle (1939)
    5. Top Hat (1937)
    6. The Gay Divorcee (1934)
    7. Flying Down To Rio (1933)
    8. Follow The Fleet (1936)

That leaves Roberta & The Berkleys Of Broadway.

And, dear MajorDSmythe and Birdleson, how I love Fred and Ginger! Swing Time is my favorite, followed by Shall We Dance and Top Hat (really nearly a 3 way tie for me). Ginger was a wonderful personality on screen and I like her in everything I've seen. Fred was worthy of all the acclaim and I enjoy so many of his films (The Band Wagon comes to mind, too).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2014 Posts: 45,489
    I loved Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers as a kid. In fact i have not seen those films since. No idea what I would think now, but would sure be fun to see them again.
    @4EverBonded, I'm going through all 20 of Audrey's films (since and including Roman Holiday) at the moment. A month ago, I hadn't seen a single one of them. Now I'm hooked. As of this moment, one of her later films, Bloodline (1979), is on. It certainly is one of her weaker films, despite being directed by Terence Young, scored by Ennio Morricone and starring the likes of Gert Fröbe, James Mason, Irene Papas, Romy Schneider and Omar Sharif. Halfway through, I'm pretty sure I know who did it. ;-) But I have made a point of watching it. So far, my Audrey top 10 is:

10 - The Nun's Story
    9 - Love In The Afternoon
    8 - Paris When It Sizzles
    7 - How To Steal A Million
    6 - Charade
    5 - Funny Face
    4 - The Children's Hour
    3 - Breakfast At Tiffany's
    2 - Roman Holiday
    1 - Sabrina

I have yet to watch My Fair Lady, War And Peace, Robin And Marion and a few others. ;-)
    edited July 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Oh, lucky you, having a summer of Audrey! @DarthDimi, she is lovely, a wonderful actress, and just has a presence that adds to any film. I actually have not seen Bloodline yet. I love My Fair Lady so much. Yes, Julie should have played the role. But Audrey had the guts to do her best and she is a very memorable Eliza. Roman Holiday is one of my favorites; she and Peck are just great together. I grew up totally smitten with Sabrina; I remember pretending my name was Sabrina!
    @4EverBonded Great!!! I'm smitten with Sabrina and Roman Holiday myself. Ah... Sabrina. Audrey and Bogie together. :x Wasn't she just irresistable? As for Roman Holiday, she and Peck are marvellous together. The ending... I don't know if I need to cry or feel happy. ;-)

Finally, your name may not be Sabrina, @4EverBonded, but I know your heart is at least as beautiful as hers. :-)