It's Carnival Time! - The WORLD CUP FINALS 2014.

Comments

• edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Even if we lose tonight, which is looking likely, there's far more to be positive about than four years ago. We've played much better than we did through the whole of South Africa.

I agree. England impressed me tonight, and I feel bad for being so harsh on them before the game. This young, positive team seem to have a real purpose in their play, and quite another level of enthusiasm than what we have seen before. But I still miss the elegant creative midfielders, though...

Regarding the group, it looks like it will be a real drama! All four teams actually have a realistic oppourtunity to go through at this point.
    All a bit laboured by England in the end. They should visit a church to see what a decent cross looks like.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,817
    Next time is Costa Rica vs. Italy. After seeing both matches today, it doesn't seem very unrealistic that it ends with a tie, in my opinion. What do you think?
    All a bit laboured by England in the end. They should visit a church to see what a decent cross looks like.

What you reackon, drop Rooney for the next match? Is Roy brave enough to do that I wonder?
  • Costa Rica - Italy could be a tie, who knows. Costa Rica could defend a lot to bet everything on counterattacks for their two matches where they're total outsiders. And Italy can defend counterattacks... England I don't think so.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:
    Even if we lose tonight, which is looking likely, there's far more to be positive about than four years ago. We've played much better than we did through the whole of South Africa.

I agree. England impressed me tonight, and I feel bad for being so harsh on them before the game. This young, positive team seem to have a real purpose in their play, and quite another level of enthusiasm than what we have seen before. But I still miss the elegant creative midfielders, though...

Regarding the group, it looks like it will be a real drama! All four teams actually have a realistic oppourtunity to go through at this point.

Very well summed up between the two of you. I agree @Jobo that the group, all of a sudden, becomes a four way fight.
  • RC7RC7
    jobo wrote:

Very well summed up between the two of you. I agree @Jobo that the group, all of a sudden, becomes a four way fight.
  • Seen from outside England, England didn't impress me at all as a team. I saw young guys running, and the only team effort that looked like a plan ended with their only goal. All the rest was run, run, run.

What you reackon, drop Rooney for the next match? Is Roy brave enough to do that I wonder?

Thought that myself, though he did create the equalisor. He will play next game, Roy won't drop him i don't think.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Seen from outside England, England didn't impress me at all as a team. I saw young guys running, and the only team effort that looked like a plan ended with their only goal. All the rest was run, run, run.

I'm not English, and certainly not a fan of their brand of football. But I am able to admit they had more play today than in a long time. And to be fair, for most teams playing against Italy, running is what you're left doing. But as always there is some serious lack of creativity in midfield...

It will be interesting to see how the French will do tomorrow.
    18 shots at goal, 5 on target. Rooney should have equalised. I wouldn't say that was a bad effort.

He probably should drop Lampard first. Just about nothing to see from him. He is a football hero but he is past his time.
    Matt_Helm wrote:

He probably should drop Lampard first. Just about nothing to see from him. He is a football hero but he is past his time.

Well, seeing as he wasn't even playing tonight...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Still got faith in good old England. Looked promising going forward. Just need to find the net better.
    Though the Sterling, Rooney and Sturridge finish was a thing of class.
    Could've been a much better start, but it's not over yet.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Still all to play for, think Uraguay will struggle against our attack. They really struggled against Campbells pace today.
    Matt_Helm wrote:

Well, seeing as he wasn't even playing tonight...

Talking 'bout dumbhead Matt Helm. Of course I meant Gerrard.
  • Still all to play for, think Uraguay will struggle against our attack. They really struggled against Campbells pace today.

They don't like it up 'em.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Not bad by England. I have no idea where the group will go from here. Exciting!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Gary Lewin was upset that Harrison Ford was getting the attention for "silliest injury of the year"...

10376318_633516080071949_3354839426046931886_n.jpg

Personally, I think he was listening to Phil Neville's commentary and slipped into a coma.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Well, I'm pleased with England's performance, at least until the final third, where the England's players got knackered, and couldn't get a proper cross in. With Welbeck, Sturridge and Sterling, England had a bit of variety, one-two touches, got them in behind the Italians defense a few times. After Hodgson took off Welbeck and Sturridge, England were all too predictable.

However Rooney and Johnson were pants.
    9 games gone, 31 goals scored, no draws so far. Who said football wasn't entertaining? ;-)

Even the Switzerland vs Ecuador game just now was good.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    The Swiss avoided the neutral result and scored an extra time goal to beat Ecuador.
  • Hold-up by the bankers :)
  • No national anthems ! One less controversy or one more ?!
    France looking very good so far. Should be at least one goal up by now.
  • Honduras is playing 0-0. Boring games happen !
  • Honduras is playing 0-0. Boring games happen !

France look sensational going fwd - deserved their lead....

Honduras are scum...dirty scum players...the scum deserve to lose...scum.
    Well? I only have 5 words to sum up England? "New blood, Same old story!"
  • France Honduras is like watching a boxer practicing on a heavy bag.
This discussion has been closed.