The Battle Of The Bonds Elimination Game. Post game discussion.

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I don't mind saying Dalton is fourth best. He may have portrayed Bond as dark and ruthless but Fleming did also write Bond as very cool, charismatic and suave. All qualities Dalton severely lacked.

Just watch the PTS of Living Daylights and you'll find that yes, Dalton does possess those qualities.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,396
    I don't mind saying Dalton is fourth best. He may have portrayed Bond as dark and ruthless but Fleming did also write Bond as very cool, charismatic and suave. All qualities Dalton severely lacked.

Just watch the PTS of Living Daylights and you'll find that yes, Dalton does possess those qualities.

Not in my opinion he doesn't. His delivery of "Bond, James Bond" is so poor it's embarrassing.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,313
    In this game, Dalton is history, and in my opinion finishing 4th is justified, considering he only had two movies to show off his qualities (although two very different ones).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thursday Vote:

Sean Connery : 60
    Roger Moore : 39 (+1)
    Timothy Dalton : 3 (-1)

Daniel Craig : 36

Eliminated:
    5. Pierce Brosnan
    6. George Lazenby
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,622

Yes, Fleming's Bond was not a dark and dour sort. No shortage of both charm and wisecracks in most of the books. One of the reasons I love GF the book so much, is the relentless barbing that Bond inflicts on both Auric and Oddjob throughout the novel.
    They just have to take it. Neither of the dullards are capable of comebacks......although one can't do more than grunt.
    GF's movie line "choose your next witticism carefuly Mr. Bond" I think evoked Fleming's book.
    Bond give it pretty good in the barbs department to both Ernst and Bunt in the Castle of Death showdown in YOLT too.
    I am not saying Dalton is guilty of dark and dour, but dark and dour and broody is not how to play Bond.
    Connery IMO had the perfect mix of charm, witticism and malevolance, although I think Book-Bond had a glibber tongue and swaggier attitude than any of the movie Bonds, even Connery.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Sean Connery : 61 (+1)
    Roger Moore : 39
    Timothy Dalton : 3
    Daniel Craig : 35 (-1)

Eliminated :

5) Pierce Brosnan
    6) George Lazenby

I've just seen the previous post and I agree with it ; Dalton being the 4th is logical for me.
    On the other hand, I personally think Pierce Brosnan is very underrated in the way of being cool, charismatic and suave (Pierce is the definition of those, even more than Sean IMO Roger is my N°3.)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Friday vote:

Sean Connery : 61
    Roger Moore : 40 +1
    Timothy Dalton : 2 -1

Daniel Craig : 35

Eliminated :

5) Pierce Brosnan
    6) George Lazenby

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Resistance from the Daltonite camp is utterly futile at this point. Take 4th and be happy he isn't further down the line...

I've said it once and I'll say it again: if it was Sean down to 4 votes you'd still be jumping to rescue him, so giving the Daltonites a jab is more than a bit hypocritical. We haven't forgotten how you did the same to people in the film elimination game when people tried to save dying films though you did exactly the same thing for GF countless times.
    Wow i see Tim is still hanging on!!!
    Resistance from the Daltonite camp is utterly futile at this point. Take 4th and be happy he isn't further down the line...

I've said it once and I'll say it again: if it was Sean down to 4 votes you'd still be jumping to rescue him, so giving the Daltonites a jab is more than a bit hypocritical. We haven't forgotten how you did the same to people in the film elimination game when people tried to save dying films though you did exactly the same thing for GF countless times.

In all fairness, I think he is just expressing frustration that the thread is getting halted by people continually flogging a dead horse, it is detracting from the other 3 Bonds in the elimination and it is just getting annoying how it is see-sawing between up and down with Dalton when by no way could he make a comeback at this point, so people should just let it go.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sammm04 wrote:

In all fairness, I think he is just expressing frustration that the thread is getting halted by people continually flogging a dead horse, it is detracting from the other 3 Bonds in the elimination and it is just getting annoying how it is see-sawing between up and down with Dalton when by no way could he make a comeback at this point, so people should just let it go.

I understand him completely, but he has beat a dead horse as well, hence my comments about his hypocrisy.
    Sammm04 wrote:

I understand him completely, but he has beat a dead horse as well, hence my comments about his hypocrisy.

Oh right, didn't read that bit, shows my own naivety, but it is getting annoying, this Dalton resurrection business.

At this stage it would be more respectful to let Dalton pass quietly to the other side. And I say that as a Daltonite.
    Friday vote:

Roger Moore : 40
    Timothy Dalton : 1 (-1)
    Daniel Craig : 36 (+1)

Eliminated :

5) Pierce Brosnan
    6) George Lazenby
    The end is nigh!
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Is it a farewell to arms for Dalton?
    edited June 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Birdleson wrote:
    I feel each person should vote their heart every time, regardless of the current standings.

I sold my heart a long time ago, along with my soul. Lucifer and I negotiated for hours and in the end he excepted the package deal I offered.

Thursday voting:

Roger Moore : 40
    Timothy Dalton : 0 (-1) Eliminated
    Daniel Craig : 37 (+1)

Eliminated:

4) Timothy Dalton
    5) Pierce Brosnan
    6) George Lazenby

Nothing personal Tim, you are my #3 after all.
    Getafix wrote:
    The end is nigh!

I quite like Dalton, but 'tis time.
    Friday voting:

Roger Moore : 41 +1)
    Daniel Craig : 36 (-1)

Eliminated:

4) Timothy Dalton
    5) Pierce Brosnan
    6) George Lazenby
    He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! 'he's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
    THIS IS AN EX-DALTON!!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 11,425
    Farewell Tim!
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 479
    Sammm04 wrote:
    He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed him to the thread he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! 'he's off the twig! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!
    THIS IS AN EX-DALTON!!

Crap, ignore this I must have double posted.

well hopefully Craig can avenge his death and take out Connery and Moore
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Risico007 wrote:
    well hopefully Craig can avenge his death and take out Connery and Moore

It definitely won't happen. Moore has made a comeback, and while it's possible for Craig to come back and beat him, he won't take out Connery.
    Now Dalts is gone Craig has to go next.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Getafix wrote:
    Now Dalts is gone Moore has to go next.

I couldn't agree moore. He should have gone first thing.
    I can deal with Craig in third place (although probably not my preference) but any higher would be a travesty.
    I wish Moore would go next, but it looks like he'll have an upper hand against Craig (at least for now). This list is pretty unlike my own haha
    Roger Moore : 42 +1)
    Daniel Craig : 35 (-1)

Eliminated:

4) Timothy Dalton
    5) Pierce Brosnan
    6) George Lazenby

Up with MOORE!! Down with Craig!! It's funny how these things shift isn't it.
    Fix your points, and stop stealing @MajorDSmythe's words, @Sly.

Oops. Looks like I copied and pasted a couple lines too many. Didn't even catch that until now. Sorry for the accidental plagiarism, @Major.