ALIEN Franchise

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So I suppose there was a lot of controversy on set? Like I said, I've never seen the film, and so I don't know of any stories on set. I really do want to check it out the first chance I get, though.
    I absolutely LOVE Alien and Aliens, but I haven't seen 3 or 4 yet. I did buy the quadrilogy so I own the DVD's, I just haven't had a chance to sit down and watch them yet!
    Also, I've heard bad things about them so I might be subconsciously putting it off.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Not a review, but I've recently started looking upon Resurrection in a new light so here's a reflection piece I wrote about Ripley's humanity on my blog!

http://craigmoore.tumblr.com/post/53959443639/ellen-ripley-as-an-interstitial-character-not-quite
    Not a review, but I've recently started looking upon Resurrection in a new light so here's a reflection piece I wrote about Ripley's humanity on my blog!

http://craigmoore.tumblr.com/post/53959443639/ellen-ripley-as-an-interstitial-character-not-quite

I quite liked that. I skimmed it, wasn't sure how much it would give away. I also love your 'Taken 2' review. Spot on.
    Creasy47 wrote:

I quite liked that. I skimmed it, wasn't sure how much it would give away. I also love your 'Taken 2' review. Spot on.

Appreciate it, @Creasy47. Glad you enjoyed reading.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, anytime. I think with that, it gives me an even bigger reason to finally get to 'Alien 3' and then 'Resurrection.' I think Best Buy has some really good deal going on right now with blu-rays, may have to see if these are included.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, anytime. I think with that, it gives me an even bigger reason to finally get to 'Alien 3' and then 'Resurrection.' I think Best Buy has some really good deal going on right now with blu-rays, may have to see if these are included.

Definitely do, Alien3 and Resurrection deserve more attention. The third one in particular for me is hugely interesting and a solid piece of work considering how tough the production was. Resurrection was a film I used to despise but ever since AVP came along I've been kinder to it and the themes presented in it aren't fully realised but still interesting nevertheless, and that's kind of what I was hoping to isolate in that blog entry.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, does 'Alien 3' have a lot of great tension and are there any scares? Or is it mostly a shoot-'em-up?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wow, very interesting take on a flawed yet perversely fascinating film!
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @CraigMooreOHMSS, does 'Alien 3' have a lot of great tension and are there any scares? Or is it mostly a shoot-'em-up?

Alien3 is completely without shootouts. In fact, one of the points made in the film is the lack of weapons available to the characters. And that, I will say, was a ballsy move. The film still has intricate set pieces, but if I were to describe it, it's probably a perfect blend of the first and second films in terms of the atmosphere/scary to action ratio. Hope I didn't give too much away there.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Wow, very interesting take on a flawed yet perversely fascinating film!

Thank you @chrisisall. Got reading in the library one day and decided to work my own take on the whole thing!
    Oh really? That is quite interesting. Makes me very curious as to what the big plot is and what dangers they face. I must check out this movie. Saw it in town tonight for $15 on blu-ray, is that worth it?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Oh really? That is quite interesting. Makes me very curious as to what the big plot is and what dangers they face. I must check out this movie. Saw it in town tonight for $15 on blu-ray, is that worth it?

Is it the original cut or the extended Assembly cut? Either way I would probably say yes but the Assembly cut is the better of the two I would say.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Alien is the best film, though Aliens kicks ass! Alien 3 the directors cut is a interesting film looking at themes of redemption. Alien 4 is not a bad film just inferior to what proceeded it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 13,879
    I see they failed to mention the pyramid that was discovered below the surface a few years back.

I guess it's not important.
    For me, Alien franchise wen't downhill only after when Paul W.S. Anderson got his hands on the creature. Same with Predator.

I think every alien movie prior to that point deserve their existence. I loved your blog analysis craigmoore.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Here's a fun video featuring Ripley put to You Know My Name.

Not a great fan of the fourth Alienmovie by the looks of his editing. O:-)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:

@Creasy47, I will be honest with you. If you think that Alien and Aliens have great, scary moments, your first reaction to Alien³ may not at all be positive. It's different, but IMO it's a great film all the same. Fincher's vision works. The script was deliberately minimalistic and at the same time answered to Sigourney's demands. She was tired of the gun thing and wanted a more personal connection between Ripley and the xenomorphs. I certainly think the aesthetics are great, I love most of the score and the acting is at times brilliant.
    But I will admit that despite its strengths, it comes nowhere near the original Alien. And I must confess to being one of those sci-fi geeks who really enjoy Aliens through and through. So with that in mind, I rank them

Alien
    Aliens
    Alien³

Alien Resurrection

AvP²: Requiem
    AvP

Don't hate me. At least AvP kept me from going numb with boredom.
  • edited April 2014 Posts: 6,396
    AvP2 was the only film I nearly walked out of. I've seen some crap over the years but that was simply horrendous.

It couldn't have been any more insulting to the '79 original if they had just shown people taking a dump on some DVD's of Scott's classic for 90 minutes.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I can't disagree, @WillyGalore, but AvP was even worse for me. When Sanaa Lathan establishes a partnership with the predator and just keeps talking through the whole thing in that ridiculous pyramid, I just want to unzip and go monsoon over that film.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I can't disagree, @WillyGalore, but AvP was even worse for me. When Sanaa Lathan establishes a partnership with the predator and just keeps talking through the whole thing in that ridiculous pyramid, I just want to unzip and go monsoon over that film.

Swings and roundabouts. I hate them both. I was just unfortunate enough to be dragged to see AVP2 at the cinema. That's 8 quid and 90mins of my life I'll never get back. ;-)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,879
    Alien/Aliens - The first two are equally great, but I like the atmosphere of the second one better, the 80s sci-fi man that I am.

Alien 3 - Pretty decent- some of the fx are obvious, but not a bad effort at all. Charles Dance is always a joy to watch.

Alien Resurrection - I guess I like this one more than the majority here. Memorable characters, and I like the hybridization of 'Ripley' in this one.

AvP - I quite like this film, but there's certainly something lacking that I can't quite put my finger on. Maybe it's a simple case of Weaver not being in it. I like the creepy abandoned whaling station- it had that kind of atmosphere I mentioned above.

AvP: Requiem - I found this film hard to follow. I can't remember any of the characters and none of the scenes stood out for me. One of those films I had to endure.
    The only one that provided any real palpable interest was the second release. The first just never really gets going and apart from one or two standout moments such as the immortal scene with Kane's chest at the dinner table, I don't recall an awful lot going on. The third was disappointing, Ripley just didn't command the same presence as before, and only saw bits and pieces of the next two releases. You can't beat the second for real non-stop action, not to mention a stellar cast that the others couldn't quite assemble
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 7,653
    Alien - Brilliant and scary movie
    Aliens - Brilliant actioner that added to the franchise
    Alien3 - A Noir movie that tried to distance itself from the actionbonanza from Aliens
    Alien ressurection - Loved the new Ripley did understand the choice and direction, some great setpieces the new Alien leaves somewhat to be desired, but is still scary in its intentions. Love Jeunets take and visuals.
    Prometheus - was a beautifull shot scifi movie that was insightfull as well as scary looking totally forward to Prometheus 2.

AvP - mayhem in Antartica, found the main female character very attractive but the movie soso.
    AvP2 - No real main characters and the Alien in this one was a heck more scary including its new way of reproducing, that was really gross and scary. But lacks the gravitas and interest of the Alien movies.
    I'm doing my 'Alien' marathon now, I have a question from the first one. I'm watching the original theatrical version (so perhaps my question is answered in the Director's Cut), but how:
    Do they know that Brett was taken by something big? Brett's wandering around by himself looking for the cat, and he is impaled and taken way up into the ducts, it looks like. If Ripley and the crew aren't with him, how did they see it?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    If Ripley and the crew aren't with him, how did they see it?
    VHS Rental. ;)

Alien 3 & 4 were paychecks & experimentation IMO. Only 1 & 2 count.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Looks like I am the only one to rank Aliens last of those four. For me, the excessive action makes it a bore.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Over the last week I rewatched the first three Alien films, partially due to the death of HR Gieger.

The first is, by quite some distance, the best of the lot. A real slow burner masterpiece with some brilliant cinematography.

The second has more of a "cheesy blockbuster" mentality but with a bit of charm. Most of the marines are virtual charicatures but memorable nonetheless. Sigourney is excellent as Ripley and her scenes with Newt are sweet. Finally there's Stan Winston's excellent SFX.

The third (Directors Cut edition) felt like a film of 2 halves for me. I don't have a problem with Newt and Hicks being killed off as I'm not sure they could have really convincingly gone anywhere in a third film. Ripley reacting and coming to terms with their deaths places the emphasis back on drama rather than action. Charles Dance likewise is very good as the cold, haunted Clemens. My problem is the second half, which is a mess and forces us to side with idiotic male prisoners who all sound and look the same. It's a pity they killed off Dance premiturely as he and Weaver gave the film a bit of a dramatic edge. After he dies it doesn't take long for the film to become a poorly edited, badly acted shambles. The final few minutes of Ripley dying and the shot of her empty hyper-sleep chamber aren't that bad though.