The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I do enjoy TND a lot and find it to be an all around excellent Bond film.
    But you know, that's just my opinion. You find cheesy dialogue and the aim being at teenagers; I just didn't get that at all from it.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 11,189
    I like some parts of TND and find it a fairly easy watch, but those flaws are quite clear.

The strongest parts of the film (IMO ) are the early scenes with M and the admiral, the Dr Kaulfman sequence, Bond in Carvers warehouse (before the shoot out), the HALO jump and some of the stuff with Bond and Wai Lin. It's a firm 5/10 film to me. Enjoyable but not particularly sophisticated.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 55
    That really narrows it down . . . I am still able to enjoy many things from my teenage
    years without losing.
    I think Brosnan is one of those rare actors who can play villains just as well as heroes.I thought he gave a very chilling performance in The Fourth Protocol and is quite good as a lunatic in Butterfly On A Wheel.
    Brosnan is a master actor. It's not up for debate anymore.
    Brosnan is a master actor. It's not up for debate anymore.

Well that clears up that then. Thank you.

Mods we can shut this thread down. There's no further need for debate. ;-)
    AstonLotus wrote:
    I think Brosnan is one of those rare actors who can play villains just as well as heroes.I thought he gave a very chilling performance in The Fourth Protocol and is quite good as a lunatic in Butterfly On A Wheel.

I liked him in The Fourth Protocol but to be honest thought he was quite poor in Butterfly on a Wheel.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Brosnan was brilliant in Taylor of Panana. He was a real dick. If only EoN could have got some real talent to support Brosnan he could have been one if the very best.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I just had a thought. Connery and Brosnan were (totally my opinion here) the only Bonds who had two exceptionally good Bond films in a row.

DN and FRWL
    GE and TND

LTK is not a favorite of mine at all. Do the Daltonites really feel it is one of the best Bond films? I think some do, which would make Dalton on the
    list for them, too

I'd include TLD & LTK on that exclusive list. For all of LTK's faults, the performances by Dalton & Davi elevate it SO severely above the material as to solidify it as undeniably great IMO.
    =D>
    Okay, I just started to watch tnd and it got me thinking ; why do people think Pierce got served with a bad scripts? The ideas for GE, TND and TWINE were good if you ask me. How is, let say QoS or SF scipts any better than the one's handed to Pierce. I'm not talking about dialogue here. But the storyline. I'm quite the defender of QoS. But the plot is not all that over complicated or original. Less to say about SF, the better.

I don't honestly think the scipts for Pierce's Bonds were bad at all. Not for the first three at least. DAD was just generic.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I think the thing of it is that Craig's scripts have scaled the innuendo, quips & one-liners way down, allowing for a more serious tone overall.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,107
    Again, I'm not talking about dialogue. But the plots for the first three weren't bad.

Skyfall was just TWINE and MI compined. No originality there at all.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Oh yeah, I agree; the plots aren't that bad at all. Even TND had a reasonably good one.

And in the new ones, CR benefited from a book adaption, but QOS was pretty simple & straight forward (I liked it a lot actually) and SF was as you said.
    The new Bonds are not quite the presents from God some make them out to be, merely good & slightly different takes on the character IMO.

There's a lot of Broz-flu going about- he's the flavour of the month to dump on.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/pierce-brosnan-to-star-in-expendables-4-9220647.html

There's some awesome news for Brosnan fans. A potential baddie role, perhaps? ;)
    Great news. :)>-
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    YES YES YESSSSS!!! \m/
  • RC7RC7
    This is beyond brilliant.

God damn I love the Broz!
  • Expendables 4>Bond 24
    I think it would be funny if he came back as an older version of this character in the Expendables film.

That film was made in the 80s after all.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think it would be funny if he came back as an older version of this character in the Expendables film.

That film was made in the 80s after all.

8acf165f5308436404af07df591877748a9193c1e52407e3b76b8b8242dde785.jpg
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Fantastic news!!! Seeing Pierce kicking arse alongside Stallone, Arnie and all the rest of them will be brilliant. The first one was disappointing imo but the second Expendables film was one of my favourite films of 2012. It didn't try to be anything more than a fun actionfest with an amazingly badass cast and it worked perfectly. It was loads of fun and as long as they carry on in that direction (plenty of references, doesn't take itself too seriously), I'm happy for them to keep making these for years.

Hope they finally manage to get Jackie Chan for Expendables 4 too. I was disappointed when I found out he wasn't in 3.
    Brosnan is irreversible at this point
    @thelivingroyale

When has a film featuring Pierce Brosnan and references to previous films ever gone wrong? :p
    I'm thinking they couldn't get Connery so they got Pierce instead. :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    I think the thing of it is that Craig's scripts have scaled the innuendo, quips & one-liners way down, allowing for a more serious tone overall.

You say that as if it was a good thing.

I love the one liners and humour in Brosnans Bond films.TND especially gave us his best one liner in the printing press fight scene.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I've just finished reading the third November Man novel (I really loved it, so far my favourite of the series) and started British Cross.

I really can't wait for the November Man movie. It's gonna be awesome.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/pierce-brosnan-to-star-in-expendables-4-9220647.html

There's some awesome news for Brosnan fans. A potential baddie role, perhaps? ;)

Superb stuff!!!!! Bring it on!!!! <:-P
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Wow, this is quite a big piece of casting news though it is not yet confirmed that Brosnan is in the next film, just that he wants to be.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Brosnan in 'The Expendables 4'? I really, really, really hope this pans out! That is awesome!! I'm with Samuel, that is quite the piece of casting news. Big stuff for Pierce!
    Wait it's official ? WOW these are huge news...but wait..IIRC there are only 2 Expendables movies..what if the third one tanks at the box-office ?