Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Murdock wrote:
    Tomb Raider 2001
    Average video game to movie adaptation. Even though Daniel Craig wasn't a big star yet, He was poorly used in this film. Also it didn't help that he sounded like Ray Romano in it. :))

6/10

What I really want to know, @Murdock, is what you think of the sequel. ;-)
    The Spy Who Loved Me! Later tonight to be On Her Majesty's Secret Service
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited January 2014 Posts: 1,812
    Don Jon 9/10
    I may be a little bit biased with this film, as I am a big Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan. I thought his performance was great, as was Scarlett Johansson's. The directing was great, which was done by JGL, and the story, while not as funny as I wanted it to be, kept me hooked from the beginning.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Just been watching a great favourite of mine, Arthur Penn's powerful 1966 drama 'The Chase' - which has a number of Bond connections: It's brilliantly scored by the mighty John Barry, features one of Maurice Binder's finest title sequences and rubbing shoulders with the likes of Marlon Brando, Robert Redford, Jane Fonda, James Fox, Angie Dickinson and Robert Duvall in the stellar cast are Sheriff J. W. Pepper himself, Clifton James and DAF's Burt Saxby and original 'King Kong' leading man Bruce Cabot.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,043
    American Hustle 2013

American Hustle is an entertaining few hours where director David O'Russell give us his best Martin Scorcesse impression. The cast are superb with Christian Bale and Amy Adams smouldering on the screen. Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawerence offering great support and a certain Scorcesse veteran gives us his most effectively sinister turn in years in a brief but memorable cameo.

If it loses itself towards the end as characters start to grow a conscience it still is worth the duration and has a terrific soundtrack littered with 70's classics throughout. I look at this as an hors d'oeuvre for the main course, Marty's epic Wolf of Wall Street!

* * * 1/2
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Watching Pearl Harbour properly for the first time. Pure Hollywood junk, even the attack itself is cheesy. Feels like it was written by a load of secondary school pupils.
  • Monsters Ball-an amazing film with an actress and a director whose Bond endeavors had considerably less success
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Just returned from The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    Society (1989)

12876.jpg

Fans of Brian Yuzna will know this film. It's a weird Stepford Wives meets Videodrome kind of film, but with delicious 80s make-up effects and mostly terrible acting. Still, I like most of Yuzna's work. Sure, Initiation: Silent Night, Deadly Night 4 (starring Maud Adams), isn't all that impressive and neither is Return Of The Living Dead 3, but he produced and directed a few films in the Re-Animator series and he also produced one of my favourite guilty pleasures, Stuart Gordon's From Beyond. Part of my sympathy for Yuzna comes from the fact that he, like me, seems very interested in the work of H.P. Lovecraft... Society is a strange film, but you might just like it. ;-)
    Gave up on that Pearl Harbour crap and am now watching Michael Mann's Heat for the first time in a few years. What a difference!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Tomb Raider 2001
    Average video game to movie adaptation. Even though Daniel Craig wasn't a big star yet, He was poorly used in this film. Also it didn't help that he sounded like Ray Romano in it. :))

6/10

What I really want to know, @Murdock, is what you think of the sequel. ;-)

@DarthDimi I liked Cradle of Life slightly better. To me it's really just the same movie again set in a different setting. Like Die Hard 2, or Hangover Part II. Not that that's bad but I enjoyed it more than the first.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I really liked Cradle Of Life, but I wished they'd used the alternative ending...
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Deadfall_(1968_film).jpg

A bit slow, and maybe a touch too long for a crime caper film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Oblivion (2013)

I'd like to thank @Creasy47 for all the positive messages he made about this movie that made me want to see it. What a great movie! I really enjoyed it! The music, the story, the special effects, everything is well-made. And man, Tom Cruise does not age! :)
    Oblivion (2013)

I'd like to thank @Creasy47 for all the positive messages he made about this movie that made me want to see it. What a great movie! I really enjoyed it! The music, the story, the special effects, everything is well-made. And man, Tom Cruise does not age! :)

I'm glad you approve, @DaltonCraig007.
    Oblivion doesn't drown in action after action scenes, and yet I think that's what a lot of people had expected. It tells, quite on the contrary, a relatively sober "who am I?" Philip K. Dick kind of story. The film pauses frequently to allow us to absorb the beautiful scenery. This is the stuff that the more mature Japanese anime is made of. I love Oblivion. I recommend you buy the score if you have a chance. You won't regret it.
    The first Hobbit movie at the movie theaters was the last movie I've watched in a long time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Man of Steel 2013

While Zack Snyder's film has it's good points, Cavill cuts a good shape as Supes, Russell Crowe makes a great Jor El and Kevin Costner all but walks off with the film. Zimmer's score is stirring enough and the quieter moments show promise.

The problem is the last 40 minutes are just a barrage of noisy action that barely stop for a breath. The film also feels like huge chunks of it have been cut out as it seems very jarring and hardly flows at all.
    After Warner's and Nolan showing so much promise by easily producing the best comic book films yet with the first 2 Batman films. Snyder's film seems as vacant and wanting as the worst of the Marvel offerings.

I also look on Dark Knight Rises differently and have to revise my opinion on my initial disappointment of that film, in comparison it feels nowhere a bloated and over long as I previously thought. I hope the forthcoming sequel which includes Kal El teaming up with Gotham's finest is more grounded, although I wonder if there is anything left of Metropolis after the ridiculous apocalyptic climax in Man of Steel.

* * 1/2
    @Shardlake

I've never really been a big Superman fan in fairness but I always felt a bit under-whelmed after watching MoS. It's not as terrible as some have said but there is a sense that we've seen this film before in other forms. Maybe I'm getting a bit tired of the Nolan format but I got the sense the film thought it was deeper than it actually was.

Also, I too felt there was far too much CGI action.
    Heat

Cops and robbers for adults.

Excellent film with a stylish look and soothing soundtrack. Both Pachino and DeNiro are on top form, but credit has to go to all the other members of the cast who bring potentially 1-dimensional characters to life and make them feel like real people.

Definitely one of the best films of the 90s.

8.5/10
    The Hunger Games (2012)
    Could have been a better film with a better director as he uses the awful qos technique, (shaky camera).
    6/10
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Society (1989)

12876.jpg

Fans of Brian Yuzna will know this film. It's a weird Stepford Wives meets Videodrome kind of film, but with delicious 80s make-up effects and mostly terrible acting. Still, I like most of Yuzna's work. Sure, Initiation: Silent Night, Deadly Night 4 (starring Maud Adams), isn't all that impressive and neither is Return Of The Living Dead 3, but he produced and directed a few films in the Re-Animator series and he also produced one of my favourite guilty pleasures, Stuart Gordon's From Beyond. Part of my sympathy for Yuzna comes from the fact that he, like me, seems very interested in the work of H.P. Lovecraft... Society is a strange film, but you might just like it. ;-)

I loved this when it first came out. A decade later I rented it to show it to someone, and I was slightly embarrassed by how bad it was. I may have been drunk on my first viewing. Or just young, perhaps. Well, thanks for the memories any way.
    Watching Olympus Has Fallen. Hello Zao :D

I wonder if you're a bad guy
  • Wall Street (1987)

Michael Douglas' "greed is good", takes a young Charlie Sheen under his wing, but things turn sour after so long. "The american dream gone wrong"

You don't have to be interested in money or finance to enjoy this, as some star names put together a decent watch that never really lets down. Saw this on release and it's maybe the first time I've really sat down to watch it all the way through since then, but highly recommended to those who have yet to take in this particular viewing experience

wallstreetfront.jpg
    Just finished Olympus Has Fallen

Overall this is not a good film. The acting is laughable in places (Angela Bassett annoyed me in particular) the CGI is often poor and pretty much every scene reminds you of another action movie (right from the opening Broken Arrow style Boxing match).

Yet there is some enjoyment to be had here thanks to a few well choreographed set pieces and the presence of Morgan Freeman who gives the film some gravitas.

Rick Yune is ok as the main villain - sort of like a Zao #2. Butler is a pretty standard action hero, a limited actor but believable in the fight scenes.

I did find myself enjoying this oddly at times in a guilty pleasure sort of way (its certainly better than the likes of Taken 2 and Die Hard 5), but its still a relatively weak pastiche of action films gone by. For a better action flick involving the president go back and watch Air Force One.

5/10
    DIE HARD 2

A good way to kill a couple hours, even though it is silly as hell. Bruce Willis is a fantastic actor, but back then he really was clueless about acting. Some annoying minor characters drags it down a bit as well. I prefer the first and third to this, and wish they had stopped at three.
    DIE HARD 2

A good way to kill a couple hours, even though it is silly as hell. Bruce Willis is a fantastic actor, but back then he really was clueless about acting. Some annoying minor characters drags it down a bit as well. I prefer the first and third to this, and wish they had stopped at three.

Agreed on all counts. I enjoy Bruce but he's not really all that good in the Die Hard films (at least the first 2). His best performance as McClane is in number 3 IMO.

In regard to annoying characters let me guess: Barnes and Coleman?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    DIE HARD 2

Agreed on all counts. I enjoy Bruce but he's not really all that good in the Die Hard films (at least the first 2). His best performance as McClane is in number 3 IMO.

In regard to annoying characters let me guess: Barnes and Coleman?

Haha, yes. And the janitor, Marvin was it? I agree he grew into it in the third.
    Argo

After having the Blu Ray sitting on the shelf for well over a year I finally took my finger out and watched it. Terrific film, incredible to believe the person who starred and directed this was the same crappy actor from Pearl Harbour (he's excellent in this by the way). Ben done good.

9/10
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 7,653
    The Jane Austen Bookclub - Maria Bello, Emily Blunt, Amy Brenneman, Maggie Grace & Kathy Baker on the subject of the books of Jane Austen & relationships. It turned out to be a quite enjoyable movie and Mrs Brenneman & Bello are always ridicolous enjoyable to look at.

And occasionaly it is fun to see a movie that is just intimate fun instead of OTT action.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:
    The Jane Austen Bookclub - Maria Bello, Emily Blunt, Amy Brenneman, Maggie Grace & Kathy Baker on the subject of the books of Jane Austen & relationships. It turned out to be a quite enjoyable movie and Mrs Brenneman & Bello are always ridicolous enjoyable to look at.

And occasionaly it is fun to see a movie that is just intimate fun instead of OTT action.

I really enjoyed that film too, though I never went in expecting it. I should rewatch it soon, if it's ever on TV.