Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Got it! Many thanks, everyone. So 4PM is the confirmed air time for tomorrow?

Yes, we're 5 hours behind the UK in our time zone. I'm just curious if we can watch it live right at 4 or if we have to wait until after it airs to view it on the BBC iPlayer.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Either way, knowing that I finally get to see the series 3 premiere tomorrow has me very excited.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Either way, knowing that I finally get to see the series 3 premiere tomorrow has me very excited.

Yes, I didn't expect this. I haven't even started watching series 2 for my marathon yet, but I guess I'd better get gorging.
    Get to it, my friend! I did my marathon about two weeks ago.
    You can also buy the episodes on iTunes. If it's the same than with Doctor Who, the episodes should be available the day after airing. At least in France.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I can now get on to BBC one, but it says I still have to have a TV license to view a show live. Anyone know anything about that? Or any advice? Thanks. And I am going to bed soon, so I may not reply right away ... but thank you! It is a dilemma.
    I hope I can view it after, even if not live. Hmmm.
    I just completed my marathon of Sherlock all in anticipation for series 3. I can't believe two long, painful, wondrous years have all led up to this day.
    I can now get on to BBC one, but it says I still have to have a TV license to view a show live. Anyone know anything about that? Or any advice? Thanks. And I am going to bed soon, so I may not reply right away ... but thank you! It is a dilemma.
    Just use the method Creasy and I are employing, the Hola Unblocker app. It's super easy and cost effective.
    I will try, yes. I think we cannot view it live, though, but perhaps after. Still that would be great! Just about got it ...
    OK! So I could sort of watch some shows from yesterday. Stopped and started a bit; maybe this computer needs a better version of realplayer or whatever. So I am somewhat hopeful I can watch Sherlock after it shows live.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    Basically, if you don't pay the licence fee, you can't watch stuff live (or record stuff). You can use Iplayer, 4od and ITV player, but not to watch shows live. If you watch shows live without a licence then you can be fined.

So you can watch it live on iplayer, but it's illegal to do that without paying the licence fee.

You're abroad though so I'm not sure if any of this would actually apply to you (and I doubt they'd be able to fine you). You're not meant to be paying the licence fee if you're in another country, but then you're not meant to be going on Iplayer if you're in another country either. What they normally do is send you letters if they suspect you've been trying to watch TV live without a licence and I think eventually they come round your house to check (although that's never happened to anyone I know). However, you're abroad so they won't do any of this, you should be fine.

Personally I don't mind paying the licence fee. A lot of the stuff I watch is on BBC channels (Sherlock, Doctor Who, Family Guy, Match Of The Day, etc), so I'm happy to support them. Sky is much more of a rip off (at this point I'm only using it for the football). Plus, I prefer watching stuff on telly to watching it on my laptop.
    We'll see if it works. If not, I know of a few sites that should hopefully have it up in HD by tomorrow.
    one hour and 45 minutes to go.
    My friend gave me a site and told me he thinks it'll be up to watch in the States around 7 PM (three hours from now). I'm going to see 'The Wolf of Wall Street' at 6:40, so hopefully it's up by the time I return home tonight. If someone from the US could do me a big favor and send me a PM if they find a way to view it (in case his way doesn't work) at some point today, I'd really appreciate it. That way I don't have to come in here and tread through spoilers. To those who do see it, I hope it's as phenomenal as we're all expecting! I'm so excited to find out how he pulled everything off.
    Finally, after two long years, here we go! :-)

Back in 90 minutes time.
    I think I can see it delayed and will let you all know. Have fun watching it live - it's on now! :D
    They most certainly have taken the mickey with all the fans scenarios on the internet, I like that.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,043
    Fantastic and worth the wait, the Bond nods were great and Mikklesen Snr is going to make a great Big Bad for Season 3.

Both Ben and Martin were on top form and the 90 minutes flew by, welcome back!
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    Here is a blog on Empire's website regarding 'The Empty Hearse' and the connections between Bond and Sherlock.

Obviously MASSIVE spoilers ahead so for the love of God, do not read it if you have not yet watched the episode:

http://www.empireonline.com/empireblogs/small-screen/post/p1439
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Great to see its back one nice touch was that Sherlocks mum and dad in the show tonight were played by his real mother & father !
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Great opener. One of the strongest episodes to date.
    I've just finished watching Hearse. I don't really know how to react, because I don't think it has truly hit me yet that Sherlock truly is back, but I can tell you that I liked it. I can't wait to see what this series will bring us.
    I am back home now and trying to watch it. It plays but NO SOUND. Arghhh!
    I viewed a video earlier today with sound. I may go mad. Working on computer now ...
    so I am watching it with absolutely no sound. You know how much of this program is dialog? Yep. But I am watching it and hopefully get sound back later or tomorrow. Sigh ...
    I came in this thread anyway, thanks for the non-spoiler reviews, everyone! My girlfriend is coming over tonight and staying for a few days until I'm back to college, so her and I are going to watch the premiere in the morning. I can't wait. I watched the first few seconds, and the simplicity of it was an amazing tease, shockingly.
    Well I finished it and loved it as much as I could follow it - in complete silence the whole time - ha! I am sure the pleasure will be immeasurably improved when I can hear all the sparkling, witty, and interesting dialog. Which I hope happens tomorrow!
  • Absolutely brilliant. Welcome back Sherlock!
    What did people think about the actual explanation? I thought it was immensely satisfying
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Just watched this and it's amazing how this episode was clearly heavily influenced by skyfall in numerous ways.
    9.2m tuned in to see Sherlock's return on BBC1 last night (not including iPlayer viewings).
  • The Skyfall influence went as far as another fake District Line section. Wonder if they filmed any of Sherlock at pinewood?
    Absolutely brilliant. Welcome back Sherlock!
    What did people think about the actual explanation? I thought it was immensely satisfying

That part confused me, because:
    Anderson laughs it off, saying something like "If that was true, I'm the last person alive that you would tell." or something. Does he just find it funny that he actually told him, or is it not the truth? It confused me as to if that was the actual explanation or not.

But, the episode was fantastic, well worth the wait. Nice to see everyone back again.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 6,396
    @Creasy47
    The explanations offered to us were all just theories. The truth is, Moffat and Gattis may never reveal the actual explanation of how Sherlock survive to us.
    @Creasy47
    The explanations offered to us were all just theories. The truth is, Moffat and Gattis may never reveal the actual explanation of how Sherlock survive to us.
    That's what I thought, and it was interesting to see that their take on the fan theories was shown in the form of Anderson's "club." It is a shame, because I really wanted to know how he pulled it off, but I suppose we'll never find out.