Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Sandy wrote:
    #:-S Finally finished reading all the new posts. I need o re-watch the episodes before I write a proper review on them. As I said before privately I have watched them with my mother and she was constantly asking questions (and instant translation) which made it rather difficult for me to follow everything. So far, from these first two episodes, I can say I loved somethings, was indifferent to others, and a couple of them I didn't like. I thought both the episodes were great fun which brings me to a feeling that I get... I fear for the last episode. Not in terms of quality, in fact I think it might be great (I heard it's got a lot of canon), but in terms of mood/ending. I think all the fun will end up in something terrible.
    I get the impression something really bad is going to happen to Mary or with her.
    in fact I've had the opinion for a while that she will not live being series 3

Hi, Sandy!
    It will really piss me off a LOT if Mary is killed that soon. I think that is a mistake, I really do. I will have a hard time forgiving the producers/writers for that if true. It will ruin a part of the series for me. I could accept it much later, but not now. And it is really not necessary.

If our major speculation is correct, then I do have serious doubts about series 4 and onwards, no matter how brilliant the writing
    Mary dying that quickly is just unacceptable to me and that would tarnish how I feel about the series. That would be a shame. Oh I would still watch it and enjoy many things, no doubt. But this show has so much wit, humor, sparkle, and chemistry ... giving that heavy of a downer so soon is fitting for a drama or a serious crime show; but I do not feel it is fitting to kill her off right away, not for this show.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I have yet to watch the second episode, so I'm treading lightly and may have missed this, but a fourth season is in the works:

http://www.slashfilm.com/fourth-season-of-sherlock-currently-in-the-works/
    Yes there is a 4th season, I am just now wary and doubting some things.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Even better, there is already a season 5 on the works as well.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Yes there is a 4th season, I am just now wary and doubting some things.

I know your fear, but we all should have faith... The Canon has 60 episodes and
    according to various sherlockians, Watson had three? wives...
    The only wife we have info on in the canon is Mary. But truly many more episodes could be done with Mary still in it, not killing her (and their baby) off. Geez.
    I will watch the series no matter. Perhaps they could
    have Mary tried and convicted for murdering Magnussen and sent to prison, and perhaps having a miscarriage - which would be sad enough as it is. then the sadness John would carry would be having to be separated from Mary, visiting her in prison, but not the ultimate horrific sadness or her dying.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 7,653
    part of a spoilerfree review:

Yes, as we've already said, His Last Vow is an emotional experience. To say anymore of the how's and why's that that is the case would be churlish and wrong. Like The Empty Hearse, this is an experience that should be Experienced, unsullied with prior knowledge or spoilers of what is coming. Though there is one thing we will say, to ensure your viewing of this barnstorming finale to the third series of Sherlock is complete.

When the end credits start, do not turn off your television or change the channel. Watch to the very close.

And that is the only Clue we will give you.

the rest can be found:
    http://www.sherlockology.com/news/2014/1/9/his-last-vow-review-090114
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-previews/sherlock-spoiler-free-review-last-vow-3002868

Sounds brilliant. After this and the review @SaintMark posted, I think that this episode stands a good chance of being the best in the series and one of the best so far.
  • One site I think teased
    a major character death? Thinking its either Mary, Mycroft or Mrs. Hudson/Molly/Lestrade
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2014 Posts: 13,352
    This will be great and could well be one of the best episodes to date but it is such a shame the end has come around again already. I guess Sherlock will return on New Year's Day 2016.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I am definitely interested in seeing what His Last Vow holds, and am more than ready to shed some tears as I've already done that all bloody season anyway. The news I'm hearing about the third is great, as I have high hopes for it. I can only imagine what is coming. Will Sherlock's symbolic early departure from the wedding party mean that he and John have been separated for a long time when we find them again in episode three, or are things just as they used to be? Something tells me it won't be as easy as the latter.

As I said, I think they will leave John or Mary (or both) in some sort of peril at the end of the episode, but who knows. Anyone else think John should get a bloody break for crying out loud? The first season he had a bomb strapped to him and snipers all centered on him, then second season he thought he watched his best friend kill himself and entered into a state of depressing disrepair. Moffat, be nice and don't kill his wife and child for Doyle's sake. Mary's way too cool a character for that, and it'd be an absolute waste if that came to pass. I think episode three will play out like series 1 did, where it will be revealed that Magnussen was behind a lot of this season's plans (like John's burning), he will then be revealed for a big face off next season with Sherlock that will end in the third episode of the fourth season.

The good news is that since the ball is already well rolling for the fourth season and Martin won't be as insanely busy as he was when he was in the Hobbit, hopefully we won't have to wait another two years again until more episodes come our way. Fingers crossed!
    Excellent news indeed on the announcement of these new seasons of Sherlock! <:-P
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    It's not confirmed, just planned. I'm sure Series 4 will be confirmed on Sunday.
    This was tweeted by Mark Gatiss and Sue Vertue (under spoiler tag, just in case someone doesn't want to read, not that it actually says something we can possibly understand at the moment):
    Sherlock - His Last Vow. Sometimes somebody has to die. Sunday BBC1, 8.30. #sherlocklives
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:
    This was tweeted by Mark Gatiss and Sue Vertue (under spoiler tag, just in case someone doesn't want to read, not that it actually says something we can possibly understand at the moment):
    Sherlock - His Last Vow. Sometimes somebody has to die. Sunday BBC1, 8.30. #sherlocklives

Oh god. MOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFAT!
    I can't help but think it could even be Molly that bites it. I sure hope not, though. I love all of these characters so much.
    Sandy wrote:

I can't help but think it could even be Molly that bites it. I sure hope not, though. I love all of these characters so much.

Well, in The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton, in which the episode is apparently largely based
    Milverton dies.
    I expect the same to happen here, however I have a feeling (just a feeling, I know nothing really) there's something else...
    Sandy wrote:
    Sandy wrote:

Well, in The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton, in which the episode is apparently largely based
    Milverton dies.
    I expect the same to happen here, however I have a feeling (just a feeling, I know nothing really) there's something else...
    I know that, but giving Magnussen only one episode to really shine in would be disappointing to me. He should have a whole other season to himself, again, like they did with Moriarty. He's one of the best villains in the Holmes canon, and to waste him right in episode three would be a letdown. I think it's somebody else, unfortunately. And if the rumors are true, this episode is heart-breakingly melancholic.
  • Did anyone listen to the soundtrack? David Arnold isn't all that bad - some of the listings even sound Bondian and genuinely emotional/simple. I think people just wanted a change of pace after nearly 10 years of his music.
    Did anyone listen to the soundtrack? David Arnold isn't all that bad - some of the listings even sound Bondian and genuinely emotional/simple. I think people just wanted a change of pace after nearly 10 years of his music.

The soundtrack is lovely, he's doing it with Michael Price. I personally think Arnold is unfairly vilified in here, I actually like him a lot.
    Killing Mary in this season
    doesn´t sound at all like the cleverness we got so far. If some major
    character has to die, I´d go for Molly,
    which would be a great pity, but then any one of them would be a great pity. Or, considering there are
    a number of policemen Holmes works with in the books, it might be Lestrade.
  • boldfinger wrote:
    which would be a great pity, but then any one of them would be a great pity. Or, considering there are
    So knowing Moffat, it's probably John right?
    boldfinger wrote:
    So knowing Moffat, it's probably John right?

That would end the show, therefore no.
    I guess it is only safe to say
    it it not John or Sherlock.
    I think
    having another major character die is brave but does turns things into something slightly different; I hope they are careful - surely they thought it through ... if I had to choose which would cause the least pain to me, it would probably be Mycroft - even though his whole relationship and banter with Sherlock is so very well done. I hope they go one step away from killing Mary ... which is the more obvious choice if you have read the stories ... and spare us that grief which, like I have said repeatedly, is too strong a downer ... and surprise us with one of the others dying. I'd hate to lose any of them, really. We shall see in a few days!
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    My money is on Mary or Molly dying. It doubt it's the villain because it wouldn't be the emotional ending we've been told we're getting. Plus they've been hyping him up a lot and he hasn't even been in it yet, so I think we'll probably be seeing more of him next series.

While I really like most of the characters, I think killing one of them off is a good move. It'd shake things up a bit and there hasn't really been a meaningful character death that isn't a villain yet.

Also, great news, they're going to try and get the next series out sooner. 2015?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/10562814/Sherlock-fourth-series-coming-quickly.html

Hope this doesn't impact Doctor Who though.
    edited January 2014 Posts: 28,694
    If I had to place my bets on a character getting the axe, it would be Molly. She is a less expected choice, and was never meant to be anything beyond a small character with minor appearances in the show when things began. She's grown into one of the show's best assets, and killing her would add some emotion weight to things. She's also the one who knows Sherlock and his feelings best besides John and Mycroft.
    Just re-watched The Sign of Three (was on BBC3). I really like it more this time around! The inclusion of revenge plot of
    Jonathan Small against Major Sholto was great.
    which leads me to a major complaint I have with series 3
    I really wish they had found a way to integrate Mary into he whole business.
    The thing is I love Sign of Four (don't forget to check the review in the Study in Sherlock thread, sorry for the shameless promotion) and wanted this episode to include more elements from it.
    If I had to place my bets on a character getting the axe, it would be Molly. She is a less expected choice, and was never meant to be anything beyond a small character with minor appearances in the show when things began. She's grown into one of the show's best assets, and killing her would add some emotion weight to things. She's also the one who knows Sherlock and his feelings best besides John and Mycroft.

Yes I was thinking that, too ...
    of all the other characters, aside from Mary, I would cry probably the most over Molly - she is young, means well always, has become so endearing on this show. I would cry over her more than Mrs. Hudson, even. Hmmm. We shall see. I can picture Molly risking her life in an unexpected way to save Sherlock, to help him, and end up getting killed.

Yes, @Sandy, I wanted more elements from the Doyle story. Even little ones, but especially with Mary. Maybe we will get a tad more about Mary and something from The Sign of Four in the next episode. I did laugh outloud in The Sign of Three when I saw the midget (dwarf?) using the blowpipe. I'll watch it again when I have time, maybe tonight. The whole episode was brilliant, yet so different.
    The least complicated might be
    Mycroft, since he already appeared in Sherlock´s mind in Sign of Three, so he could keep popping up even if they killed him.
  • Well in the trailer Mycroft said "if you go against Magnussen, you go against me". If it is Mycroft who dies, I think he'll at first be against Sherlock and co for most of the episode but it eats away at his conscience and in the end will rejoin the good guys and sacrifice himself.

I don't think it'll be him though.
    I haven't yet read The Sign of the Four so I can't comment here, but my biggest disappointment this entire series has been just how wasted Moran was as a character. You could have had him be one of Moriarty's right hand men, and wouldn't have to change much of anything story wise to do it. Sherlock could have been contacted by Mycroft just as he is in the first episode to come back to London after Moran, the remaining strand in Moriarty's web of crime lashed out and hatched a devastating plot or something like that. At least have him somehow connected to Moriarty. I was so excited to see an ex-military Moran who could be an interesting opposition to John, just as Sherlock and Moriarty where great foils to each other, but alas we got none of it. So many great things could've been done with the character, but all that was wasted because apparently Gatiss finds him to be nothing but a "henchman." Well guess what, Mark? This was your chance to make the character something more than that. It was writers all across TV and film history that gave minor characters like Lestrade, Mycroft, Mrs. Hudson and Irene so much more importance in the world of Sherlock Holmes than what Doyle wrote of them, so why exclude Moran from that tea party? That was definitely the let-down of the series for me. I wish they wouldn't have even called the character Moran anyway, because they didn't use anything from The Empty House regarding the character in the episode, and wasted the character and his name all for some guy who has no dimensions and doesn't even get any bloody dialogue the entire damn episode. They could've saved the character for the future, but now that train has left the station. How frustrating...