Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Ok it is soon. And I will be watching it hours many after you guys. But I keep wavering and really don't want to read true spoilers. But I am going to make a guess, so here it is:
    I am guessing - no inside info at all - that Lestrade is the one who dies. I was thinking Molly for quite a bit, but I'm just going to go with Lestrade. I think Mary is the too obvious choice, actually. I hope only one death of a major side character. Anyway ...
    We shall soon see!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moffat has confirmed Sherlock will be back for a fourth series. Maybe if it's coming sooner, it will arrive next Summer.
    Mixed feeling tonight as I am really looking forward to watching Sherlock! But obviously it is the last one tonight!!!! :((
  • My moneys on Mary or Molly.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Just watching Sherelock and saw him slapped in a dramatic way by Roxy from Casualty. Why am I suddenly thinking of Tomorrow Never Dies? ;)
    Great last episode. Lars Mikkleson was terrific. Future Bond villain maybe?
    Somehow I always knew Moriarty was still alive.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,012
    It was bloody brilliant, wow! I just can't put it into words, it's just :O

EDIT: by the way, did you catch the Bond connections?
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 12,837
    That was brilliant. Not just the best of the series but the best one so far imo. Moffat knocked it out of the park. Not at all what I expected, which is a good thing. Lots of surprises.
    No I'm pretty sure that Moriarty is alive

And none of you believed me :P
    Agree with you @thelivingroyale, the best episode of them all. In fact, I think it might be a contender for best episode ever of any tv series but it might just be the shock speaking (runs to grab a blanket).
    Yes they always seem to save the best episode till last. Let's hope we don't have to wait 2 years till Series 4.
    Yes they always seem to save the best episode till last. Let's hope we don't have to wait 2 years till Series 4.

Don't even joke, there would be blood!
    My favourite line of the episode

"I'm a doctor, I know how to sprain people"

Also, at the end, before the big reveal, did anyone notice how the drum beat from the start of the theme song began before they cut to the pub? I thought that was clever. Make everyone think it's finished then bam-
    Moriarty.
    On one hand I love the cliffhanger endings, but on the other hand, I'll be waiting f***ing ages for the next series now and it's torture not knowing what comes next.

Apparently they've stopped doing split series for Doctor Who, and making 13 episodes a year of that might mean another long wait. But then they did say that they were aiming to get the Sherlock episodes out more quickly.

I think as long as the actors aren't too busy, we could be seeing the next series at some point next year.
    Sandy wrote:
    Agree with you @thelivingroyale, the best episode of them all. In fact, I think it might be a contender for best episode ever of any tv series but it might just be the shock speaking (runs to grab a blanket).

It was definitely one of the best things I've ever seen on telly. It's funny, just before this episode started I was starting to think that this series has been a bit disappointing, and then they give me this. That ending has made me so excited.
    @thelivingroyale You may wish to put that in spoiler tags for those who have yet to watch it. There's rather a big spoiler in your post there!
    Moffat and Gatiss are doing a Q&A on twitter about Sherlock. I sent them a question about the influences of Bond in the series. Now let's see if it gets answered.

EDIT: wasn't answered :(
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not sure everyone should take the cliffhanger so literally, I don't think Moffatt or Gattis are this desperate.
    Shardlake wrote:
    Not sure everyone should take the cliffhanger so literally, I don't think Moffatt or Gattis are this desperate.
    You have a point, could easily be a new character using Moriarty as a trick or something, but it'd be a bit of a piss take though, to tease the return of a popular character, even getting the actor to appear at the end of the credits, only to reveal that he isn't alive at all. I'm think he's alive and if he is then I'm sure they'll have a good explanation for his survival (they did with Sherlock).

I don't see why it's desperate.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I just think it looks like they've bent to the fans that have mourned his demise and I don't think they are just going to play to the crowd, they said he was dead a number of times, I just think there is more to this than just the miraculous return of someone we clearly saw shoot himself.

That being said we aren't entirely sure that the theories presented for Sherlock's fake death are what actually happened, I think they left it ambiguous deliberately.

I have to say loved this series and this finale of S3 was the best of the three, still think Series 2 finale is my favourite so far though. Mads big brother was a superb big bad for this series, made me think either brother could have played Hannibal Lecter and done a good job, although Mads is now definitive as the good Doctor for me.

It will be interesting to see what this does for Lars C.V, as someone who is a fan of his work in both The Killing and Borgen, I hope he gets utilized effectively, a future Bond villain? That Mikklesen family sure are talented.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I hate that I've been so busy that I missed both the second episode and the finale. I hope I'll have good luck watching them online. I just want to get through this next week of classes so I can spend my four day weekend playing catch up and finishing season three. I hope it lived up to what you all wanted it to be!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'm still in shock right now (look, I've got a blanket!) but I can confirm that this last episode was madly brilliant, and redeemed the series's low points in spades.
    I can't believe where it is headed, and don't know what to think. At the same time I think someone is using Moriarty's image to their advantage, but the voice saying "Did you miss me?" sounds like Jim, so maybe he really did fake his death. I just don't know what to think at this point, but I love it. Oh, Moffat, you magnificent bastard.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Absolutely fantastic. It's return next time could be better than ever.
    Re: The spoiler : Not surprised, indeed. And there's a Bond connection here (not a Bond influence though). More precisely John Gardner.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gerard wrote:
    Re: The spoiler : Not surprised, indeed. And there's a Bond connection here (not a Bond influence though). More precisely John Gardner.

What Bond connection are you thinking of?
    The Moriarty Diaries, by John Gardner
    Gerard wrote:

Oh, what's that book about?
    Moriarty faked his death and came back or something?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I hate that I've been so busy that I missed both the second episode and the finale. I hope I'll have good luck watching them online. I just want to get through this next week of classes so I can spend my four day weekend playing catch up and finishing season three. I hope it lived up to what you all wanted it to be!
    All three episodes are on iPlayer.
    My Reaction to the ending:
    730 days to go..
    I don't think
    Moriarty is alive. I think someone is using his image but let's see.

It was interesting to see them deal with something largely unexplored to this moment
    Holmes' drug use. However, the tests at the hospital were utterly ridiculous.
    Oh, if I had the chance to be their consulting scientist, I would do it for free just for the thrill of it.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 5,879
    Gerard wrote:

Oh, what's that book about?
    Moriarty faked his death and came back or something?

Pretty much, yes. I have only read the first volume, but it was an interesting take on
    The Empty House, featuring even what happened to Col. Moran after his ill-fated attempt against Holmes's life.

Even if I loved The Seven Per Cent Solution (as a book and as a movie, as well as The West End Horror), I like Gardner's version of the events. Even if the Holmesian I am still goes with the original story.

• edited January 2014 Posts: 12,506
    Absolutely brilliant last episode! The more I see of how this series has been crafted, written, set up and played out? The writers should be considered for a future Bond script surely?
    With the inclusion of the great Professor at the end? How does he pull it of faking his death? Let alone Sherlock? My guess would be the angle of the gun shot into the mouth seeing as he is a professor? And he must have had his own people on standby?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Absolutely brilliant last episode! The more I see of how this series has been crafted, written, set up and played out? The writers should be considered for a future Bond script surely?
    With the inclusion of the great Professor at the end? How does he pull it of
    faking his death? Let alone Sherlock? My guess would be the angle of the gun shot into the mouth seeing as he is a professor? And he must have had his own people on standby?

I don't think so. You see,
    At this distance, a blank can be deadly. Remember John Eric Hexum ? No, my best guess would be another lookalike. Maybe the Moriarty Holmes met in the reporter's apartment really was an actor.