Sherlock (2010) BBC Series Discussion Thread

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    After watching the series 2 cliffhanger, Jan 1st can't come soon enough :-)

That's how I feel. Cant imagine how you all managed to wait so long for the season 1 cliffhanger to the season 2 premiere. Glad I was semi-blind to the series then, I wouldn't have been able to stand it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    After watching the series 2 cliffhanger, Jan 1st can't come soon enough :-)

That's how I feel. Cant imagine how you all managed to wait so long for the season 1 cliffhanger to the season 2 premiere. Glad I was semi-blind to the series then, I wouldn't have been able to stand it.

I sought out a few 12 step withdrawal programs for Reichenbachitis and had a few therapy sessions, but much like with John, they proved absolutely useless.
    It's been killing me, and I finished series two a week or two ago? I'm going crazy.
    Accidently stumbled across the last 10 minutes of the season 2 finale last night on BBC 3! Watched it naturally! :D So can't wait to see how he pulled it off!
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Accidently stumbled across the last 10 minutes of the season 2 finale last night on BBC 3! Watched it naturally! :D So can't wait to see how he pulled it off!

Neither can I. It's one beautiful, intriguing moment in television. I'm going to return to it and rack my brain to try and take another stab at how it happened.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Neither can I. It's one beautiful, intriguing moment in television. I'm going to return to it and rack my brain to try and take another stab at how it happened.

Yeah, the week leading up to the first episode of series 3 I'll rewatch all 6 again, as if I needed an excuse to. This show is honestly the greatest I have seen in forever. I have never seen a show that means so much to both Holmes fanatics like me and casual fans like some others in the fan base; it's amazing how passionate we all are for this series. I think Conan Doyle would be very proud at just how far creative talents have taken all his characters, and with such justice.
    I'm the latter in terms of a fanbase, Brady, but I would be lying if I said I had no interest in reading any of Doyle's Holmes work or diving into other Sherlock related material. I just need to get on the ball with catching up on my Fleming Bond novels so I can dig into some Sherlock work, as well.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm the latter in terms of a fanbase, Brady, but I would be lying if I said I had no interest in reading any of Doyle's Holmes work or diving into other Sherlock related material. I just need to get on the ball with catching up on my Fleming Bond novels so I can dig into some Sherlock work, as well.
    I need to get back to the Fleming Bond novels sometime as well. I've only read CR, LALD and MR.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Some teasers for The Empty Hearse:

1. At least two major characters kiss
    2. We find out what the "rat" reference means – and Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy it
    3. One character greets Sherlock's return with a hug
    4. Some eagle-eyed Sherlock fans might spot themselves
    5. Sherlock wears the hat
    6. Sherlock wears a disguise
    7. Sherlock gets punched

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-15/sherlock-premiere-screening-seven-spoiler-free-teasers
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Some teasers for The Empty Hearse:

1. At least two major characters kiss
    2. We find out what the "rat" reference means – and Sherlock Holmes fans will enjoy it
    3. One character greets Sherlock's return with a hug
    4. Some eagle-eyed Sherlock fans might spot themselves
    5. Sherlock wears the hat
    6. Sherlock wears a disguise
    7. Sherlock gets punched

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12-15/sherlock-premiere-screening-seven-spoiler-free-teasers

1. Watson and Mary
    3. Mrs. Hudson
    4. Sherlockians?!
    7. Watson!
    Just finished re-watching season one on blu-ray with my lovely girlfriend, who got me the second season on blu-ray which we are now watching together.
    I was searching Google for a Sherlock-related project I needed reference photos for, and came upon this cool "reunion" shot:

4881738-low_res-sherlock-1.jpg
    Just watched Graham Norton from Friday night. Martin Freeman was one of the guests and stated that Sherlock will be on New years day, the 5th and 12th of January! Excellent news indeed. :-bd
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,351
    I was searching Google for a Sherlock-related project I needed reference photos for, and came upon this cool "reunion" shot:

That's just promotional art for the new series, they won't appear like that in an episode. Really cool picture, though. 29 other pictures were released at the same time, somewhere.
    Samuel001 wrote:

That's just promotional art for the new series, they won't appear like that in an episode. Really cool picture, though. 29 other pictures were released at the same time, somewhere.
    I know that, I just thought it was cool to see them all photographed together again after two years.
    There's no doubt about that. It helps bring home the realisation Sherlock is coming back.
    More teasers:

1. Sherlock and John's reunion is the moment most fans are waiting for, but Sherlock has a lot of reunions to get through in this episode, and some go better than others. One person screams. One person punches him. One person hugs him.

2. The city of London, and Sherlock's intimate, encyclopedic knowledge of it, is more important here than it's ever been before.

3. Not a fan of John's moustache? Let's just say you're not alone.

4. Sherlock echoes a key line from Mycroft in 'A Scandal in Belgravia' at one point, turning his brother's cutting words back on him.

5. Iconic Doyle references abound – we hear not one, but two of Holmes's most oft-quoted lines from the novels inside this 90 minutes.

6. 'The Empty Hearse' refers to something very specific within the storyline, a plot strand that plays lovingly on the show's real-life zealous fandom.

7. There's a lovely, poignant callback to one of our favourite moments from 'A Study in Pink'.

8. Although the reunion between Sherlock and John plays out very, very differently from the books' version, there are significant nods to Doyle's 'The Empty House' here - both its reunion and its explanation for how Sherlock survived.

9. Expect an expanded (and very surprising) role for Jonathan Aris's contemptuous cop Anderson.

10. Remember that episode of Friends with Russ? Mm-hmm.

11. The term for a fear of fire is "arsonphobia". This fact is relevant because we have developed it as a direct result of watching the episode.

12. "I like my doctors clean-shaven."

13. Any fans who worried that Amanda Abbington's Mary would become the show's Yoko Factor can rest easy. Not only does she slot in very naturally, but Sherlock and John get plenty of one-on-one time to hash out their issues.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a538478/sherlock-series-3-13-teasers-for-the-empty-hearse.html
    As I am about to do one last run through of Sherlock as the show's third season approaches, I thought I'd make a desktop wallpaper to celebrate. Here it is, if anyone wishes to use it:

the_brain_and_the_heart__bbc_sherlock_wallpaper_by_bradymajor-d6y7fd1.jpg

A link to it on deviantart:
    http://bradymajor.deviantart.com/art/The-Brain-and-the-Heart-BBC-Sherlock-Wallpaper-420250501?ga_submit_new=10%3A1387235338&ga_type=edit&ga_changes=1&ga_recent=1

The wallpaper is fit to my personal laptop's resolution (1280 X 800), so it may not fill the entire screen of everyones' computer. The main feature of this piece is the eloquent quote Sherlock recites, and the text features small easter eggs pertaining to the series. At the center is the detective and the doctor, Sherlock ever the brain and John always the heart. Together, they are unstoppable.
    Information on our new villain:

Co-creator Mark Gatiss said: "Lars is a stunning actor and the nicest man. He's a delight to be around. He's brought something really interesting and new to the show.

"We've talked about doing Charles Augustus Milverton for quite some time. He's a proper big realised baddie. His original title was The Worst Man in London."

Moffat added: "He allowed us to move the character on. He's now Danish. Like everything in Sherlock, we take the original and move it around slightly. I think he's an outstanding villain. He will give you proper chills and make you shrivel at times."

Gatiss said that he was a very different prospect to Moriarty. "He is a man to whom power is second nature," said the writer. "He's not a baddie in his own mind."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a539552/sherlocks-new-villain-will-give-you-chills-says-writer-steven-moffat.html

Also, episodes 2 and 3 are airing from 8:30pm - 10:00pm on the 5th and 12th. Episode 1 airs from 9:00pm - 10:25pm on New Year's Day.
    I can't wait. Finished my rewatch marathon with my girlfriend last night and she loved it. We both teared up together during the season two finale. I'm just as clueless as her as to how Sherlock pulled it off, but I enjoyed hearing her pick the scene apart and try to come up with a logical answer to what Sherlock did.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,614
    Tread lightly, as this woman sounds 100% confident that she figured out how Sherlock survived the fall:

http://thereichenbachsolution.tumblr.com/post/66661104783/i-solved-the-case-of-the-reichenbach-fall-on

...and why we were asking the wrong question all along:

EDIT: I watched the video and read it, nothing I ever would've thought about/guessed. I mean, nobody is 100% correct, but with the evidence she's displayed and whatnot, it sounds pretty spot-on and could be the correct answer. I suppose we'll see very soon!
    Very interesting. So it all could be out there and this seems like a logical assumption as to how it was done. Like we thought, everyone had missed something and after two years no one has picked up on it.

Thanks for posting.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Very interesting. So it all could be out there and this seems like a logical assumption as to how it was done. Like we thought, everyone had missed something and after two years no one has picked up on it.

Thanks for posting.

You're quite welcome. I just think it could be unique enough that that is most certainly the answer to all this.
    Many Happy Returns, the seven minute minisode, will be released on BBC iPlayer on Christmas Eve (Tuesday) at 2:00pm. I'm sure it will be uploaded to YouTube shortly afterwards.

"A series of seemingly unconnected crimes stretching from Tibet to India to Germany. Sherlock Holmes has been gone for two years. But someone isn't quite convinced that he's dead."
    I notice that she doesn't explain how he faked the fall. And that's what we want to know.
    Yes she does, with a life net. Click the link to read about it.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Great references there!!

And Watson´s Blog has finished...
    What a great short, especially regarding Anderson's character development.
    That certainly wet my appetite. January can't come soon enough.