Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that is true. They ran that scene a few times and every time:
    Candie hit the table, that glass got closer and closer until he broke it and cut himself. He kept going and required quite a few stitches. They added fake blood later on, though, for him to wipe on Broomhilda's face.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Currently watching Jumpin' Jack Flash (1986) starring Whoopi Goldberg. Interestingly, her boss in the film is an egocentric and very dislikeable bank manager. His name? James Page!

I'm sure though he's nothing like our Mr Page ;-) :D
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    In what is a criminally unrecognized performance, Leo chews the scenery like an obese man in a hot dog eating contest, giving what is one of the greatest performances I have seen in a long time. He challenged all the perceptions of himself as an actor, going far and wide away from his comfort zone, and came out on the other end with a fantastic showcase of his talents.
    Hmm.. I'm not so sure that I bought him as a villain. I agree that it was great to see him step outside of his comfort zone (how great would it be if Hollywood didn't typecast actors?) but he seemed to compensate this by overacting a bit, in my opinion. I don't know. Perhaps my own perception of him was challenged and it clouded my judgement. It just seems like he was trying too hard and he was shouting just for the sake of it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    pachazo wrote:
    In what is a criminally unrecognized performance, Leo chews the scenery like an obese man in a hot dog eating contest, giving what is one of the greatest performances I have seen in a long time. He challenged all the perceptions of himself as an actor, going far and wide away from his comfort zone, and came out on the other end with a fantastic showcase of his talents.
    Hmm.. I'm not so sure that I bought him as a villain. I agree that it was great to see him step outside of his comfort zone (how great would it be if Hollywood didn't typecast actors?) but he seemed to compensate this by overacting a bit, in my opinion. I don't know. Perhaps my own perception of him was challenged and it clouded my judgement. It just seems like he was trying too hard and he was shouting just for the sake of it.

Well, Candie is a very loud and proud man, so it's easy to understand why Leo handled the role like that at times. Still, I wouldn't call him the villain of the film either.
    The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

After seeing Unexpected Journey, Desolation was everything I expected: a good action-fantasy film, or well second part film. It's entertaining and the visuals are amazing. But is not LOTR, partialy because the original source material is very different.
    I agree it is a little too long and that it could've been made in just two parts.
    Some specific things I want to comment:
    While I prefer the greatest accuracy with the book, I surprises me that Tauriel didn't bothers me very much, perhaps because she is beautiful but also because they keep it simple, I mean they didn't try to overfitted her to the story like saying she discovered the secret door or has something to do with the ring. She just was a good archer and guardian and that's ok. The scene with the Necromancer was the best, as someone pointed out before.
    I feel the mood of the film lacks consistency. On one hand, sometimes it tries to be too solemn (like the LOTR) but it fails because of the true nature of The Hobbit the book. On the other hand they add unnecesary comedy because it is already comical (I mean, a story of a wizard, a halfling and 13 dwarves!) The worst of times, it just had too much cheesy-action movie lines like "not if I kill him first".
    I think the music was better in part 2, more original themes and less of LOTR, but it was weird they didn't repeat the "Misty Mountains" theme as I thought it was like the "company" theme in The Hobbit.
    I thought Stephen Fry was hilarious, Beorn was good even if he wasn't as I imagine to be while reading the book and Bard wasn't bad but they forced him to be another Aragorn...
    While most people in the cinema couldn't believe it finish there, I left at easy knowing what happens next and just expecting another year to see Peter Jackson's vision of the last chapters. But on the whole, I'll always prefer my imagination taken directly from Professor Tolkien's words.
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

As great as ever but I can't help but think that the makers of The Big Bang Theory have slightly ruined the experience for me ;-)
    'Paranoia'

It most definitely makes my list of the Top Five Worst Films of 2013. Bland, mediocre acting, dull love angle just shoehorned in, not imaginative or inspiring, all leading up to a very bland finale. Terrible stuff.
    Brave - brilliant movie by PIXAR.

10000 BC - it entertains on Christmasday.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,486
    'Kick-Ass 2'

I thought this film was really entertaining and a worthy sequel to the first one. I enjoyed the fight scenes, Jim Carrey blew me away, and I loved the Mother Russia character, thought she was very scary and intense on screen.

'The Family'

Been a fan of Luc Besson's for years, and I thought this film had some great casting, a fun plot, some great dark comedy at times, and hilarious quotes. Seemed to end abruptly, but other than that, it was good, no major complaints.

'Out Of The Furnace'

Wow. This film blew me away. So far, it's in my top three films of this year. Superb casting and acting, phenomenal cinematography and plot development, everyone just played their roles at 120%, I loved it. Really gripping and emotional. If you have yet to see these, go check it out.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Watched both 'White Christmas' and 'Black Christmas' yesterday - as I do every Christmas Day. Off for a dash of Laurel & Hardy now with 'The Cassandra Crossing' lined up as this afternoon's matinee.
  • Even if I'm a huge Star Trek fan, I never was able to see "Star Trek The Motion Picture
    ". My daugher gave me the DVD as a gift, so, I watched it last night. Huge dissapointment. No useful dialogue whatsoever, absolutly no action sequence worthy of the name, lame storyline, it's a wonder how on earth people came back to see "The wrath of Khan".

And I thought Die Anther Day was bad...

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,691
    I don't understand how any huge Trek fan can't find something good about the motion picture... like I can with Die Another Day. :)>-

(Actually, I love ST:TMP, it's a great SF movie, if not the rollicking adventure of some subsequent installments)
    edited December 2013 Posts: 40,486
    'Prisoners'

What a thrill ride. I just let the film take me wherever it decided to go and had no clue what to expect throughout. Tense, emotional, superb acting, some very unique twists, and one killer ending.

'Rush'

I thought it was quite a good film, though not as excellent as I was expecting it to be. I suppose I just overhyped it. I thought both Hemsworth and Bruhl looked the part and their rivalry was well displayed on-screen. The races were pretty intense, and since I wasn't 100% certain on the history between the two, I wasn't sure what was going to happen or how it would all end, so it was an interesting surprise. The film was pretty good; not fantastic, but not terrible, either.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Harry potter and the prisoner of Azkaban.
    Armour of god.
    Average film from jackie chan.

'The Hunt'

I've been a huge fan of Mads Mikkelsen since CR, trying to watch everything he's in, and I've been anticipating this movie for quite some time. Finally got around to watching it tonight, and it was one emotional, yet aggravating film, giving you such a broad view of how alienated and hated a man can become by friends and family, all starting from one little white lie. I wish the ending had taken a different route, but still, it was great, looking forward to seeing if it wins at the Oscars next year.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    chrisisall wrote:
    I don't understand how any huge Trek fan can't find something good about the motion picture
    Absolutely. Sure, the film has it's faults. Too many people seem to focus on the negative aspects without giving the film credit for what it gets right.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @pachazo and @chrisisall, well spoken, gents!

I consider ST-TMP the '2001' of the series and since I love - adore! - 2001, I am very fine with TMP too. ;-)

Several complaints I constantly hear, deal with how 'slow' the film gets from time to time.

Well, for starters, I love slow paces in space. The opening scene of Gravity takes its time to develop as well. The space waltz of 2001 is 'slow'. Even Alien begins by showing us some pretty slowly paced scenes. So when we fly past the Enterprise whilst listening to Goldsmith's fabulous score, I'm impressed. Maybe I'm a just a space ship geek. ;-) Remember also that by the time of TMP's release, it had been approximately a decade since the old TV series. It all felt like a reunion. Reunions deserve a bit of time, no? ;-)

And flying into V'ger is this film's own time/space tunnel sequence from 2001. Once again, I'm impressed. The grandeur of it all, the mystery of what lies ahead. Had this moment been over in 10 seconds, I'd be complaining about how little of the moment we were allowed to absorb. Now, we get the whole package.

Aesthetically, I think TMP is a very pleasing film. As for the characters and the story, I see something that would have been part of the TV series. And in fact, hadn't they planned a new TV series with TMP's story a something of a pilot, before they decided to go theatrical and feature length?
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Die Hard With a Vengence

It's rather proposterous and recycles stuff from the first film but I think this is slightly better than Die Hard 2, thanks to less gunfire, better acting and more emphasis on suspence (even if things flag a little towards the end). As over-the-top as he is I do enjoy Jeremy Irons as Simon Gruber and the "Johnny Comes Marching Home" Sequence is great.

Also, this is probably Bruce's best performance as McClane overall.

7.5/10
  • Bradford4Bradford4 Banned
    edited December 2013 Posts: 152
    Master and Commander the Far Side of the World: the bravado, the swagger, the honor... a timeless classic and Russel Crowe plays it to the hilt.

Bain123, I like Die Hard with the Vengeance the best of all five. It has a fun supporting cast of characters "Larry Bryggman as Inspector Walter Cobb", "Graham Greene as Joe Lambert" etc
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bradford4 wrote:
    Master and Commander the Far Side of the World: the bravado, the swagger, the honor... a timeless classic and Russel Crowe plays it to the hilt.

Bain123, I like Die Hard with the Vengeance the best of all five. It has a fun supporting cast of characters "Larry Bryggman as Inspector Walter Cobb", "Graham Greene as Joe Lambert" etc

I agree, @Bradford4. Sam Jackson rocks in that film and I love what Michael Kamen did with When Johnny Comes Marching Home. Great fun, this film.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    We're The Millers 8/10

I heard nothing but mediocre to bad things about this movie. I decided to rent it out of boredom and I'm glad I did. I found it to be hilarious and it had a great story to go with it. I'm not into the overly raunchy, sex and drug filled movies and I thought this was going to be just that (even though the movie is about drug smuggling).
    We're The Millers 8/10

I heard nothing but mediocre to bad things about this movie. I decided to rent it out of boredom and I'm glad I did. I found it to be hilarious and it had a great story to go with it. I'm not into the overly raunchy, sex and drug filled movies and I thought this was going to be just that (even though the movie is about drug smuggling).

It really surprised me, too, I thought it would just be generic and bland with maybe a laugh or two thrown out, but I thought it was hilarious.
    Bradford4 wrote:

Are there 5?? I always thought there were simply 4. That generic crap set in Russia doesn't count IMO ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    RogueAgent wrote:
    The Hobbit! Desolation of Smaug. Absolutely loved it! Roll on part 3! The time went so quick I was like what? It's over already?!!! Especially where it ended too!!! ~X( lol!

My thoughts were the opposite for the last hour. Will it ever end? Every scene with orks are exciting and the Necromancer is a hoot, but otherwise it is just the same same same over and over. Walking and talking. Some dramatic speech here and there. People fawning over the courage of hobbits and so on. At the end of part 2, we are exactly where we were at the end of part1, as far as I can recall. Also, that filming technique(40 frames a second or whatever) looks terrible on the big screen. A lot better on bluray, in fact. However, glad you liked it. My son did, too. And we will of course see the next.
    @Thunderfinger, how are they at the same place at the end of Part 1 as they are in Part 2?
    I may have dozed off, but did they actually get anywhere? Also, that cliffhanger was very reminiscent of the first, the dragon being set up as the huge threat for the next film. I have read the book many years ago, and do not remember it wholesale, but I think the initial plan of working the story into two parts would have worked much better. Just my opinion of course, I might change my mind when I see it again. Must buy the bluray for my kid anyway.
    @Thunderfinger, I'll spoiler tag it so I don't ruin the ending for others:
    They reach the Lonely Mountain, gain entrance, Bilbo stumbles upon Smaug and tries to woo him while he searches for the Arkenstone. The other Dwarves gain entrance, a battle ensues, they attempt to cover Smaug in molten gold and kill him, but he escapes, intent on destroying Lake Town. They end up making it to their destination, now it's going to be about destroying Smaug and saving Lake Town, I suppose.
    Yes I figured as much, @Creasy47. Thanks for your reply, I just wish they had trimmed it down a bit. Or a lot.
  • Saw The Wolf of Wall Street late Christmas night. I'm not usually a huge Dicaprio fan but damn that movie was good.