The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

Pierce Brosnan would have been awesome as Simon Templar, The Saint. Best since Moore.

better than Val Kilmer?
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    Wacthed a bit of Dante's Peak for the first time in ages last night. It's was pretty good but I'd forgotten that Pierce's character was named Harry Dalton :))
    That is a great mash up of Brosnan and Bronson! :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    RogueAgent wrote:
    That is a great mash up of Brosnan and Bronson! :))

You mean Bronsonan? ;-)

I'm looking forward to 'I.T.' It seems Pierce was on a big stream of romantic comedies/dramas, and now he's taking a 180 to do some more thrillers/action films before age gets the best of him. I'm so excited for 'November Man.'
    For me November Man will be the closest thing to Brosnans 5th Bond Film
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    002 wrote:
    Pierce Brosnan would have been awesome as Simon Templar, The Saint. Best since Moore.

better than Val Kilmer?
    I suspect you are joking?
    That movie was terrible, and the casting of Kilmer managed to make it even worse. That guy almost ruins everything he is in. A bit like Ryan Reynolds.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love the film The Saint and I love Val in it.
    And I say that as a Saint fan.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I love the film The Saint and I love Val in it.
    And I say that as a Saint fan.
    Agreed. Recently saw it for the first time and enjoyed it.
    Val and Elisabeth Shue were great together! Not a typical Saint story, but I really enjoyed it for the fun and beautifully shot film that it is.

As for Pierce as The Saint - hmmm. I had not thought of that, but yes he could pull it off quite well. Think he's a bit busy at the moment, though. I am so looking forward to November Man!
  • Val and Elisabeth Shue were great together! Not a typical Saint story, but I really enjoyed it for the fun and beautifully shot film that it is.

As for Pierce as The Saint - hmmm. I had not thought of that, but yes he could pull it off quite well. Think he's a bit busy at the moment, though. I am so looking forward to November Man!

I thought so too about the Kilmer/Shue pairing. Being raised on Roger Moore's Saint (I even used to watch the Ian Ogilvy version) I was prepared not to like it and was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it. Shue, although largely raised In North Jersey, was born in Wilmington, Delaware and I've always tried to follow her career as Northern Delawareans get Philly TV and maintain a connection to the area.

NM is my next must see movie. It can't by any means be considered a Bond film, but I am of course interested to see what might have been if this is his idea of how he would have preferred his Bond to be.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,372
    Lake Bell joins Pierce Brosnan and Owen Wilson in 'The Coup,' which (FINALLY) starts filming in Thailand next month.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109882
    Man, what a turnaround. Brosnan did romantic comedy/drama films for quite a few years, and now he has four action/drama/thrillers lined up.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The IT film is another rom-com but apart from that, it's nice to see something different. I have no idea how he got stuck doing those but these films should be a much better use of his talents.
    Judging by this first Google link I found (I don't remember where I originally read about it), it makes it out to be a thriller:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/film-tv/news/pierce-brosnan-to-star-in-it-film-29633781.html
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm happy for Brosnan and proud with the way his career is going. To be fair, I think actors like Stallone, Schwarzzenegger and Neeson have helped facilitate ageing leading men/action stars to credibly make such films without it looking pathetically ridiculous. Brosnan, i think, wanted to get away from Bond type/action movies and showcase his versatility and bury the stink of how he felt he was unceremoniously dismissed from Bond. Now, he's coming back to these sorts of films and they're looking quite promising. He's carved/carving out an incredible post Bond career which is undeniably rare.
    Oops, sorry! I'm getting it mixed up with How To Make Love Like An Englishman the film which Salma Hayek will star with him in. Also news from today:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/salma-hayek-lands-lead-in-how-to-make-love-like-an-englishman
    @Samuel001, it's fine. So that makes for five films, nice to see that not only is Brosnan keeping incredibly busy and going back to do some more action thrillers, but he's also reteaming with Hayek. 'After the Sunset' is a huge guilty pleasure of mine, and with how the plot sounds for 'How To Make Love Like An Englishman,' I do hope we get a feel of how sexually blunt he was in 'The Tailor of Panama.'
    Yes a Brosnan-a-thon!
    I'm happy to see Pierce with such varied and good quality work. I hope a couple of the films coming out are really successful (it's such a gamble, this business) and that at least one of them is one I personally think is great. I love his Bond and I just like the guy from what I have read about him. Seems like a very decent sort.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    After the sunset is an ok film and Salma was breathtakingly beautiful in it as per usual. Why she was never cast as a Bind girl is beyond me. EoN step your game up with the babes!
    NBC is making a Remington Steele sequel series, starring the character Olivia Holt, the daughter of the characters from the orginal series. She reopens the Remington Steele Detective Agency and the same thing happens again!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/remington-steele-reboot-nbc/#more-607554
    Sadly, I don't think a 'Remington Steele' reboot is necessary, nor do I see it lasting long.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Sadly, I don't think a 'Remington Steele' reboot is necessary, nor do I see it lasting long.
    Same here. Remington Steele worked because of a strange mix that really can't be duplicated. I see a bland 6 episode series coming of this.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 40,372
    @chrisisall, if that. It's a shame, the ratio of good to bad television shows. You have that one gem sprinkled into thirty or forty other terrible shows.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Creasy47 wrote:
    It's a shame, the ratio of good to bad television shows. You have that one gem sprinkled into thirty or forty other terrible shows.
    @Creasy47, Creativity is a rare commodity these days. It's as hard to market a great series as it is to make it now.
    In the future, AI will determine what we watch, and we will love all of it.
    With the help of 'enjoyment chips' implanted in our cortex's, of course.
    8-|
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Same here. Remington Steele worked because of a strange mix that really can't be duplicated. I see a bland 6 episode series coming of this.

Yes, the series succeeded because of the casting chemistry (which is ironic, since the stars really disliked one another).
    echo wrote:
    (which is ironic, since the stars really disliked one another).
    That's a strange thing, because I read it was a like/dislike relationship. Not entirely negative.
    After the dreadful Season five of RS, I doubt it will be good, but I will give it a shot.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I know I've said this before at some point but I got a Remington Steele boxset for Christmas and, to be honest, I think I prefer Brosnan in the role of Bond. He seems a bit "Cary Grant-lite" in Remington Steele IMO. In Bond he's at least older and better as an actor.