In which film were they at their best? [CONCLUSION]

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    TMWTGG.
    TSWLM
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    It's very tough battle between TMWTGG and MR for me. I like how he portrays a less than nice version of the Bond character in his 2nd Bond film. However, I love the superconfidence and smoothness he brings to the role in his 4th performance much as Connery did for his 4th in TB. Therefore, I vote for MR.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Man With The Golden Gun.
    Years ago when I was a teenager I would have probably said AVTAK...but now I'd slap myself silly for saying that and will go with one of my top 3 bond movies and certainly my favourite Rog movie FYEO
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FYEO.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My choice is OP. I think Moore acted very well in that film, oozing a mature charm, often neglected because he was - supposedly - too old for the part. But when one removes the Tarzan yell and other questionable elements in the film, Moore graced the screen. His chemistry with Maud Adams is heart-warming, and he did manage to produce tension and excitement as well as a real sense of danger while actually wearing a clown suit. Only Roger Moore could do such a thing... Now I know he himself once said he's nothing close to a good actor, or something along that line. Well, I tend to disagree with the man. And OP, for me, is the highlight of his career as Bond, speaking strictly in terms of his acting of course. MR holds the second place in my list of best moments of Roger as Bond.
    MR. He beds any woman with two legs or less.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited August 2011 Posts: 2,629
    I could go with any of Roger's films except the first and last one. Moore tried to channel Fleming in TMWTGG, but there was just too much silliness and Swiss Cheese in the scripts around him. The non-MI6 cast in TSWLM was mostly less than desirable, yet Moore somehow made it look like the Best Bond film this side of TB to the average viewer. Eliminate outer space in MR and you have a potential winner. Moore adapted well to the more serious tone in FYEO. OP should have been a great sendoff for Roger.

I disqualified LALD because it was Moore's first film, which in retrospect should have come later for Moore. The less said about AVTAK, the better.

After careful consideration to the above comments, my vote goes to TSWLM. Roger makes TSWLM look better than it really is.
    TSWLM
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is 'never' a choice? Just asking.
  • SharkShark Banned
    A VIEW TO A KILL.
  • Octopussy.
    It's a toss-up between TSWLM,OP or MR i would think.

I will go for : TSWLM
    Is 'never' a choice? Just asking.
    Just think least annoying performance then. ;;)
  • TSWLM - we get plenty of emotion (the scene where Tracy is mentioned) and the tough (shown during his dispatching of Sandor).
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ooh, difficult one. My favourites are Spy and OP, with the ‘raker and Eyes close behind…

Octopussy, by a smidgen.
    Spy narrowly wins from FYEO when deciding which film brought us Roger's best performance.
    Bernard Lee as M: OHMSS
    Walter Gotell as General Anatol Alexis Gogol: OP
    Desmond Llewelyn as Q: LTK
    Geoffrey Keen as Sir Frederick Gray: MR
    Dame Judy Dench as M: CR
    Victor Tourjansky as 'man with bottle': MR
    Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny: OHMSS
    Samantha Bond as Miss Moneypenny: GE
    Sean Connery as James Bond: TB
    Richard Kiel as Jaws: TSWLM
    David Hedison as Felix Leiter: LTK
    Roger Moore as James Bond: TSWLM

Entry #13: Eunice Gayson as Sylvia Trench
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Dr.No
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DN.
    DR. Not
    DN of course. She was the first conquest for Connery and the first to set up his immortal line
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2011 Posts: 28,694
    I may sound like a broken record, but yes, DN. She was great at the card tables, and mindblowingly(is that a word??) gorgeous at playing golf in just a dress shirt. Sylvia was a nice break before the real mission started. This is needed in Bond 23! She has more screentime and substance than the brief continuation with her in FRWL. I love when she complains about Bond previously leaving to Jamaica as he's getting his call from Moneypenney. She was supposed to be a Bond girlfriend for him too. It would have been great to see her again in TB or GF, but we can't always get what we want.
    DN. She's unnecessary and annoying in FRWL.
  • DN
    Let's start another round. I'm not psychic, but FRWL is as likely to win over DN as a bunch of snaggletoothed women are to top Megan Fox in a beauty pageant.
    I like how you put that, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. :P

Anyway, I'm going to give this one the usual time and then we'll move on. But yeah, DN is most likely to win this round.
    You got it Dimi! :-D
    Doctor No
  • Damnit DarthDami I was away from my computer for 1 day and you pick the one question I was waiting for. I think Moore was equally great in TSWLM, MR, FYEO, and Octopussy. I honestly believe performance-wise he was more consistent than Connery. He never outright bored us. My vote would've gone to Octopussy but it's already been decided.

As for Eunice Gayson my vote goes to Dr.No.