In which film were they at their best? [CONCLUSION]

Comments

GF for me, he's relaxed, confident, ready to be Bond.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB defeats FRWL in this round!
    Bernard Lee as M: OHMSS
    Walter Gotell as General Anatol Alexis Gogol: OP
    Desmond Llewelyn as Q: LTK
    Geoffrey Keen as Sir Frederick Gray: MR
    Dame Judy Dench as M: CR
    Victor Tourjansky as 'man with bottle': MR
    Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny: OHMSS
    Samantha Bond as Miss Moneypenny: GE
    Sean Connery as James Bond: TB

Entry #10: Richard Kiel as Jaws
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    This shouldn't be a contest, TSWLM hands-down. In fairness Kiel played the role of Jaws well in both films but in the latter his character was even more of a bumbling idiot than he was to begin with. I don't really buy the whole "turning Jaws into a human by having him fall in love" argument either :p Jaws was always best as a silent killer.
    By Heaven Above Me The Spy Who Loved MEEEEE..
    The Spy Who Loved Me

No one is actually gonna say MR.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    TSWLM... who's actually voting for MR?
    M.................... just kidding, TSWLM all the way!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    TSWLM.

Next person please.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    TB defeats FRWL in this round!
    Yes!!!! :) Although his performance in FRWL is excellent, TB is my favorite Bond performance not only from Connery but from any actor who played the role.
    No one is actually gonna say MR.
    No one? ;)
    TSWLM... who's actually voting for MR?
    Me. Kiel was excellent both times but to keep this from being a TSWLM shut-out, I'll vote for MR B-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    MR. :-bd
    the spy who loved me :D

unless everything or nothing is an option
    Just to throw in my two cents, TSWLM it is. Jaws might actually have been a creepy character had they dropped the little comedy moment at the pyramids. He was otherwise put to good use though. MR, in contrast, turned Jaws into a Lenny figure, which is too bad.
    TSWLM gets my vote.
    Let me rephrase, no one with any sincerity ;-)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    The Spy Who Loved Me.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited July 2011 Posts: 3,262
    I assure you I'm quite sincere. That Jaws/Dolly love story is quite touching(certainly far more believable than the Bond/Elektra one in TWINE) and Kiel truly sells it when Jaws finally realizes what Drax's plan is all about and the logical consequences of it for him and his little sweetheart. Plus, the look in Kiel's face after he pulls the wheel off the speedboat and goes down the waterfall is of unparalled thespian magnificence. B-)

Darth Dimi, will we be voting on Robert Brown as M, Caroline Bliss as Miss Moneypenny and Eunice Gayson as Sylvia Trench in this contest?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I totally agree with you, PrinceKamalKhan - Jaws is awesome in MR, and I sure do love the Jaws/Dolly scenes !!
    I assure you I'm quite sincere. That Jaws/Dolly love story is quite touching(certainly far more believable than the Bond/Elektra one in TWINE) and Kiel truly sells it when Jaws finally realizes what Drax's plan is all about and the logical consequences of it for him and his little sweetheart. Plus, the look in Kiel's face after he pulls the wheel off the speedboat and goes down the waterfall is of unparalled thespian magnificence. B-)
    Pah! It's cheesey ;)
    TSWLM vs. MR for Jaws.
    Hmm.....which to choose?
    Haha! No contest. TSWLM will win every time!
    Darth Dimi, will we be voting on Robert Brown as M, Caroline Bliss as Miss Moneypenny and Eunice Gayson as Sylvia Trench in this contest?
    Yes sir, we will be. ;;)

And we're wrapping this Jaws round up in a few minutes.
    Jaws put his teeth in MR and bit through this round with TSWLM.
    Bernard Lee as M: OHMSS
    Walter Gotell as General Anatol Alexis Gogol: OP
    Desmond Llewelyn as Q: LTK
    Geoffrey Keen as Sir Frederick Gray: MR
    Dame Judy Dench as M: CR
    Victor Tourjansky as 'man with bottle': MR
    Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny: OHMSS
    Samantha Bond as Miss Moneypenny: GE
    Sean Connery as James Bond: TB
    Richard Kiel as Jaws: TSWLM

Entry #11: David Hedison as Felix Leiter
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 503
    License to Kill by a long shot.
    License to Kill. He actually has a reason to be there. Not much in LALD, because we never saw him (or the character) in rest of the Moore films.

LTK
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2011 Posts: 2,629
    Outside of possibly Jack Lord, the best portrayal of Felix Leiter was done by David Hedison in LTK.

LTK it is.
    LTK
  • LTK, although Bond and Leiter seemed more like they were friendly to each other instead of being good friends - I'm looking forward to seeing if they can develop a realisticly close friendship between Craig's Bond and Wright's Leiter.
    Can't say I agree with the choices so far. I want Bond and Leiter to be of roughly the same age and I want the both of them to be relatively young. In LTK, Leiter more or less looked like Bond's uncle or something. The gray hair didn't work. I vote LALD.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I agree with Dimi on the age of Bond and Leiter, I would prefer both to be about the same age. However, Hedison has a larger not to mention more memorable role in LTK. So I would have to go with LTK.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Im going to have to go with LTK. True he does have some slightly cheesey lines ("SEE YOU IN HELL" and the whole "not giving a damn" thing at the end) but he does get a more memorable part. Also I liked the line: "he was married once, but it was a long time ago", a nice tip of the hat to Tracy and delivered very well by Hedison.
    LALD.