In which film were they at their best? [CONCLUSION]

Comments

Definately GoldenEye!
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    I'll go against the grain and vote for the least beloved around here. That's right. I'm voting for Die Another Day.
    I'll give it to Tomorrow Never Dies.

The scene in the car with M is a pretty good one, me thinks.
    the world is not enough she at least tolerable in the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    GE for me! Best written and read lines.
    TWINE
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Goldeneye. She seems nicest there.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited July 2011 Posts: 2,629
    I really didn't care for Samantha Bond as Moneypenny. I'll eliminate TND for the wretched "cunning linguist" line. I'll eliminate DAD for her virtual fantasy of making out with Bond. I'll eliminate GE because she had too many lines in that film.

TWINE by default.

• AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    The World is Not Enough, she was the most tolerable in that.
    I'd go for TND
    And so GE wins for Samantha!
    Bernard Lee as M: OHMSS
    Walter Gotell as General Anatol Alexis Gogol: OP
    Desmond Llewelyn as Q: LTK
    Geoffrey Keen as Sir Frederick Gray: MR
    Dame Judy Dench as M: CR
    Victor Tourjansky as 'man with bottle': MR
    Lois Maxwell as Miss Moneypenny: OHMSS
    Samantha Bond as Miss Moneypenny: GE

Entry #9: Sean Connery as James Bond
    That's a really difficult question DD as he's virtually flawless in his first 4 films. However Id have to go with FRWL purely because of his tense exchange with Robert Shaw on the Orient Express.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    TB. Probably the coolest, most self-confident performance by a lead actor in the entire cinematic history. Such charm, confidence and charisma is very rare.
    I'm going with TB as well, for reasons mainly cited by DC007.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    From Russia With Love; such grace, presence, charm, machismo, danger, cool, confidence, virile and dangerous.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 321
    Very tough decision this one. Gonna have to go with FRWL though. For the reasons above and for the fact that it all felt very natural, an example of this being some of the scenes with Kerim Bey.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    TB. Probably the coolest, most self-confident performance by a lead actor in the entire cinematic history. Such charm, confidence and charisma is very rare.
    Good summing up and I agree totally. Connery was so effortlessly cool in TB that he makes me laugh out loud just watching him walk. Seriously you would not introduce your wife to TB Bond. Magnificent.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Thunderball.
    I've always thought his best performance came in Thunderball. Connery was just an unstoppable force.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Thunderball - Looked like he enjoyed himself, had the grin down for a few epic scenes, very good performance.
    tough one Diamonds Are Forever....

I kid I kid No Thunderball or From Russia with Love for me
    It'd be a close contest between From Russia with Love and Thunderball, but I'd give it to From Russia with Love. I enjoy the scenes with Kerim Bey because Connery's Bond feels like a real friend to Bey, especially when the two of them crack jokes with one another. Also, Connery's performance was very convincing during the scene where he finds Kerim and Benz dead. He played that part very well.
    Guys, I'm out for a little over two days so I'll probably tune back in Friday or Saturday. But meanwhile, you can keep them votes coming! ;;)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Agreed. The 4th time's the charm for Connery as he was at his most superconfident in the role, a huge reason why I rank TB at #1.

Put my vote down for Thunderball

Hands down From Russia With Love gets my vote. He embodied everything one could want from James Bond in his second outing. Is it just me or did he look kinds bored in TB? Not nearly as bored as YOLT but it didn't bother me. Im suprised no one's mentioned Goldfinger yet.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    He started off well in DN and FRWL, he seemed to have lost his edge in GF, looked bored in TB, he perked up for YOLT, and he had eatten the cast of the previous 6 films in DAF.

Though YOLT is my favourite, I think Connery's peak was FRWL.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited July 2011 Posts: 2,630
    Thunderball, Connery was down right cool.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    A tossup between FRWL and TB. I'll go with TB because that was the more physically demanding film.
  • Hands down From Russia With Love gets my vote. He embodied everything one could want from James Bond in his second outing. Is it just me or did he look kinds bored in TB? Not nearly as bored as YOLT but it didn't bother me. Im suprised no one's mentioned Goldfinger yet.
    Having just rewatched TB I was surprised at Connery's performance. In many ways it's very good but...he just doesn't quite have that spark that he had in GF. It's a confident performance but the energy is just a little lower. I certainly wouldn't say that he looks bored, though.

I'd have to go with GF. He was great in FRWL but in GF the charisma was just a little higher. It was a more playful performance which made it his most fun.

A tossup between FRWL and TB. I'll go with TB because that was the more physically demanding film.
    IDK his fight with Red Grant on the train looked pretty physical. Easily one of the most intense fight scenes in the series.