Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• DB5DB5
    No problem 00Beast. Okay, as much as I prefer Connery over Moore and as much as I live the Nancy Sinatra title song I'm going to have to go with FYEO.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    You Only Live Twice.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,809
    For Your Eyes Only all the way - I'm a Flemingista, y'see! You Only Live Twice is very much at the other end of the spectrum!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Over recent months, despite it's uneven tone, I have developed a fondness for FYEO. But YOLT, the first Bond film I watched, has a special place in my heart. YOLT it is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    FYEO for me.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 183
    Easily FYEO
    Easily FYEO

Indeed. No doubt about it!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    For your eyes only, darling. ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2013 Posts: 13,350
    For Your Eyes Only really is the stronger film even though one could argue the lead actors should have been swapped.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I love FYEO and tolerate YOLT, so definitely FYEO for me.
    I wouldn't want any other lead in it.
    From a pure story driven perspective I would have to go with FYEO. And also being Roger's strongest performance in the role for me.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Well considering that You Only Live Twice is in my top 3 and For Your Eyes Only is at the very bottom of my list, I'm going to have to give it to...

You Only Live Twice
    RogueAgent wrote:
    From a pure story driven perspective I would have to go with FYEO. And also being Roger's strongest performance in the role for me.

Agreed, certainly Moore's strongest and most Flemingesque performance as Bond.
    For Your Eyes Only for me too.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,494
    I happen to love YOLT just as it is, faults and all, but for me FYEO is Moore Bond at his best and my favorite film of his. The return to the Cold War without all the camp was just what the series needed.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Certainly FYEO. It's a tougher Bond, with a more credible story and some of the finest acting by Moore. I like the film in concept as much as in execution and I would rank it among the very best of the series.

YOLT, in retrospect, is almost self-parody. It has one of the weaker of Connery's performances, IMO, and some parts of the plot are downright abysmal. It does, however, feature some of the best looking locations of the series, one of the strongest scores of the series and a most outstanding production design.
    One of Roger's two best Bond films against one of Sean's two worst (EON) Bond films? As much as I hate FYEO's PTS and the Margaret Thatcher spoof at the end, and despite a few other inconsistencies in tone, the good in FYEO is more solid than what virtues YOLT has to offer. I have to go with FYEO.
    For Your Eyes Only for me. Neither are great Bond films, but You Only Live Twice can be mind-numbingly stupid at times. Pretty tired performance by Connery, too. For Your Eyes Only features a strong performance by Moore and some truly stand out action pieces. I even love Bill Conti's extremely dated score. FYEO is a little more by the numbers, but certainly less offensive than YOLT.
    FYEO all the way, YOLT is just not that good in my opinion.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Certainly YOLT. It is fun, Connery in his prime, beautiful locations, great cast and lighthearted plot. It isn't as good as the novel, but it is still very good!

FYEO is overrated, dull and boring. I can't wrap my head around those who say FYEO is "Flemingesque", it is almost as camp as the earlier films. Only that Moore is so out of placed and some of the action scenes are "down to earth" compared to MR.
    No, FYEO is really not my cup of tea. Even though i enjoy the more serious films. TMWTGG is better at creating a serious, Flemingesque plot.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 501
    It couldn't be easier, well technically, it could…:
    20. You Only Live Twice
    19. Tomorrow Never Dies
    18. A View To A Kill
    17. Diamonds Are Forever
    16. Goldfinger
    15. The World Is Not Enough
    14. The Living Daylights
    13. Live And Let Die
    12. Thunderball
    11. GoldenEye
    10. Quantum Of Solace
    9. For Your Eyes Only
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Ah, this old chestnut...

I'm going to half to go for..........

For Your Eyes Only
    For Your Eyes Only, easily!

You Only Live Twice is simply not as majestic as FYEO. It's plot is much more complicated and filled with holes, Connery is vastly inferior to Moore when you compare these two, Barry's soundtrack is not as impressive as Conti's (I'm sure I'll get slaughtered for that later, hahaha), and the action is yawn-inducing when compared to FYEO's, which is some of the best in the series (although the volcano lair climax of YOLT is better than FYEO's for sure!)
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 3,236
    I have a soft spot for YOLT. It's just so entertainingly ridiculous that I can't help but like it. All the same, FYEO's logical plot and all-around decency give it the edge.

10. For Your Eyes Only
    11. You Only Live Twice
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,874
    As it's Moore's best outing as Bond and Connery's film is as mad as a box of frogs, it has to be FYEO.
    edited July 2013 Posts: 17,809
    As it's Moore's best outing as Bond and Connery's film is as mad as a box of frogs, it has to be FYEO.

"As mad as a box of frogs" - a very interesting and true description of YOLT, sir!
    This was more difficult than I anticipated. YOLT isn't that bad a Bond release, has a number of redeeming features, but FYEO takes this particular award. It's just the better overall release. Both Connery and Moore should of stepped down from the part by their respective release dates, 1967 and 1981, but the latter made a better job of things, and therefore gets the vote on this round
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    FYEO by a considerable margin. YOLT has it's moments but they are too few and far in between to stop it from being mediocre. It should be pointed out that YOLT has a far better score though.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    FYEO might be the more faithful to Fleming literary source material of the two but my vote goes to YOLT. It's definitely the more iconic and exotic of the two films plus John Barry's most beautiful score and my favorite final battle between Tiger Tanaka's ninjas and SPECTRE ninjas at the end. YOLT's also the film that turned me from a casual fan to a diehard one as a child.
    Both FYEO and YOLT are classic Bond, and classic film for film's first century. Yet, they hold no candles to modern Bond; but they must be placed on top, for they are indeed classic. Thus, YOLT wins for its antiquity.