'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

If Moore featured in Doctor Who to add to everything else he's achieved in his wonderful life then his legend status with me would be complete!
    And Catherine Schell and John Cleese. Let's not forget them.
    And wasn't Helen McCrory in an episode not that long ago?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    And wasn't Helen McCrory in an episode not that long ago?

Yes, The Vampires of Venice.
    Gerard wrote:
    And Catherine Schell and John Cleese. Let's not forget them.

John Cleese already appeared in a cameo role during the Tom Baker story "City Of Death".
    That's what I was talking about, in answer to MajorDsmith's post.
    <p><font size="7">Matt Smith leaves Doctor Who this Christmas
    </font></p>

Matt first stepped into the TARDIS in 2010 and will leave the role at the end of this year after starring in the unmissable 50th Anniversary in November and regenerating in the Christmas special. During his time as the Doctor, Matt has reached over 30 million unique UK viewers and his incarnation has seen the show go truly global. He was also the first actor to be nominated for a BAFTA in the role.

Matt quickly won over fans to be voted Best Actor by Readers of Doctor Who Magazine for the 2010 season. He also received a nod for his first series at the National Television Awards, before winning the Most Popular Male Drama Performance award in 2012.

Matt has played one of the biggest roles in TV with over 77 million fans in the UK, USA and Australia alone!

Matt Smith says: "Doctor Who has been the most brilliant experience for me as an actor and a bloke, and that largely is down to the cast, crew and fans of the show. I'm incredibly grateful to all the cast and crew who work tirelessly every day, to realise all the elements of the show and deliver Doctor Who to the audience. Many of them have become good friends and I'm incredibly proud of what we have achieved over the last four years.

Having Steven Moffat as show runner write such varied, funny, mind bending and brilliant scripts has been one of the greatest and most rewarding challenges of my career. It's been a privilege and a treat to work with Steven, he's a good friend and will continue to shape a brilliant world for the Doctor.

The fans of Doctor Who around the world are unlike any other; they dress up, shout louder, know more about the history of the show (and speculate more about the future of the show) in a way that I've never seen before, your dedication is truly remarkable. Thank you so very much for supporting my incarnation of the Time Lord, number Eleven, who I might add is not done yet, I'm back for the 50th anniversary and the Christmas special!

It's been an honour to play this part, to follow the legacy of brilliant actors, and helm the TARDIS for a spell with 'the ginger, the nose and the impossible one'. But when ya gotta go, ya gotta go and Trenzalore calls. Thank you guys. Matt."

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, says : "Every day, on every episode, in every set of rushes, Matt Smith surprised me: the way he'd turn a line, or spin on his heels, or make something funny, or out of nowhere make me cry, I just never knew what was coming next. The Doctor can be clown and hero, often at the same time, and Matt rose to both challenges magnificently. And even better than that, given the pressures of this extraordinary show, he is one of the nicest and hardest-working people I have ever had the privilege of knowing. Whatever we threw at him - sometimes literally - his behaviour was always worthy of the Doctor.

But great actors always know when it's time for the curtain call, so this Christmas prepare for your hearts to break, as we say goodbye to number Eleven. Thank you Matt - bow ties were never cooler.

Of course, this isn't the end of the story, because now the search begins. Somewhere out there right now - all unknowing, just going about their business - is someone who's about to become the Doctor. A life is going to change, and Doctor Who will be born all over again! After 50 years, that's still so exciting!"

Having starred alongside three different companions, Amy Pond (Karen Gillan), Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) and most recently Clara Oswald (Jenna Coleman), Matt's Doctor has fought Daleks and Cybermen, as well as Weeping Angels in New York. Regularly heard shouting 'run' and 'Geronimo', through Matt's Doctor fans have been introduced to a new culinary combination - fish fingers and custard!

Matt's spectacular exit is yet to be revealed and will be kept tightly under wraps. He will return to BBC One screens in the unmissable 50th anniversary episode on Saturday 23rd November 2013 - TUNE IN!

We’ll have exclusive quotes from Jenna on this site tomorrow and a special video from Matt - coming soon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who

Right now, I'm hurting. I love you Matt, always.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I want this to be a belated April Fool's, but then he has held the role since 2010. I'm going to miss him, I think he's been a wonderful Doctor.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Me too, it's hard to believe it but you know, he's taking a queue from his idol, most actors seem to do three series and move on, I would've loved for him to do another series but it's not meant to be.

A big thanks to Matt and I'm eager to see when we learn who's up next, I reckon they've already been choosen.

Hopefully Moffat stays for their tenure.

Two episodes to go, not much time to prepare for this one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think Moffat should stay on for the next series, to ease in the new Doctor, then hand over the reins. Brian Minchin will be the Executive Producer for series 8:

http://screenrant.com/doctor-who-season-8-executive-producer-brian-minchin/

Might he be the Moff's replacement for series 9? As for the 12 Doctor, I wouldn't be surprised if he's already been chosen.
    Absolutely gutted about Matt Smith leaving. I feel he had so much more to give in the role. It's seems as soon as I become used to a certain actor in the role, they're off and it's a shame they don't hang around for a little longer. I understand the nature of the beast though and begrudgingly look forward to finding out who will be his replacement. They will have a hard job to follow Smith's fantastic interpretation of the Doctor.
    Smith's time has gone by in a breeze, that's why this hurts. When you compare it to Tennant, that became a real slog.

Brian Minchin would be a great choice for the next man in charge and right now, you feel as if anything could happen. What a wonderful challenge for the next Doctor, to follow Smith. All the best!

We'll learn who's next this Summer, I reckon.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Smith's time has gone by in a breeze, that's why this hurts. When you compare it to Tennant, that became a real slog.

Brian Minchin would be a great choice for the next man in charge and right now, you feel as if anything could happen. What a wonderful challenge for the next Doctor, to follow Smith. All the best!

We'll learn who's next this Summer, I reckon.

Agree about your thoughts on Tennant and Smith. I really enjoyed Tennant but it felt prehaps the right time when he went although I could have hoped for more stories. As for Smith, he was still very much on the up and it has been an incredibly enjoyable breeze watching him.

WHO is next? TIME will tell!
    Tomorrow I'll feel good about this, I'm sure, just don't turn on BBC news.

If only Matt got a New Year's special as well to say goodbye. Almost if they don't view him as highly as Tennant.

I'm off to watch The Eleventh Hour...
    That's a shame. Really enjoyed the show with him and it doesn't seem like long does it? Hard to believe he did it almost as long as Tennant, felt like ages when he had the role.

Anybody have any casting ideas for the next one?
  • Well, Roger Moore as the 12th Doctor? /ducks
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 12,837
    William Hill have Rupert Grint and Russell Tovey as the favourites at 10/1.

And since this is a Bond fansite I should probably mention that Q and Tanner aren't far behind them (12/1 for Kinnear and 14/1 for Wishaw).

I'm considering putting money on Tovey as he actually seems like someone who might get the part (I'd be happy if he did too).
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    edited June 2013 Posts: 496
    Oh well Matt Smith is leaving after the Christmas episode whose excited?, apparently it is going to be a woman this time but I dont trust the Sun.
    I really don't think they'd risk getting a woman.

Well if your English and you read the Sun on Sunday thats whats going to happen according to them but I dont believe it.
    I really don't think they'd risk getting a woman.
    I understand that some Tweeters believe it could be Stephen Mangan due to him saying "Got some exciting work news. Can’t say anything until Monday. So this tweet was a bit of a waste of time." He also has the Brian Minchin connection with Dirk Gently.
    Inspired choice there, if so. When we find out who's next, I'll be OK with Matt leaving. Right now, his leaving means an empty show!
    edited June 2013 Posts: 13,894
    I know of Stephen Mangan as Guy Secretan in Green Wing and as Dan in an episode of I'm Alan Partridge. Though it feels wrong talking of Smith's replacement, the idea of Mangan as Doc #12 intrigues me. :-?
    It has been on the cards sadly but thats the way it is. Rumours of a female Dr? Not sure if i would want this?
    That always happens. Luckily that next actor has been cast and so long as they're not female, we're alright.

In a couple of months we should know who it is. Do you reckon they'll be a TV special this time? No? Me neither...
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    RogueAgent wrote:
    It has been on the cards sadly but thats the way it is. Rumours of a female Dr? Not sure if i would want this?

If they're is lets hope she's hot!
    RogueAgent wrote:

If they're is lets hope she's hot!

Who would you cast if it was a female Dr?
    Doctor Who Confidential has been cancelled, but they might do a one-off special to introduce the new Doctor.
    POLL: Matt Smith Is Leaving DOCTOR WHO. Vote For The Twelfth Doctor
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=80716#d4OFaQCwhFdzxIjx.99
    I am absolutely sure that the next Doctor has already been cast and will be a man once more, which is something I am most comfortable with (and I would wager the general audience as well).

Somewhat surprised that Matt Smith is already leaving I was expecting a 2014 Christmas departure.

But I do hope the next one is somewhat less ADHD