The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

@j7wild, you have the right to criticise Nolan. the problem is that you're just not criticising. You're just saying the film sucks and is overrated. I don't call that a criticism.

Concerning the teaser trailer, I don't think Nolan made it. I hate this kind of "every beginning has en End", and one can't sell a great film by just showing a guy lying on a bed saying that Batman is great (even if it's Commissioner Gordon). Then, they screwed up the introduction of Bane. He's less famous than Joker, and they should have played with the mystery of this character.
    And why does Gordon says that the Batman is gone ? He's like Bond, as far as we know, he never left.

Then, I'm kind of disappointed, cause it looks like Bane broke the back of Gordon, and not the one of Batman as in the comics, and I really though it would be a great idea that Batman did get broken by Bane.

Anyway, I love the crumbling Buildings, and hope we'll have Inception's like effect !
    as a teaser it does what it's set out to do TEASE it's not bad i suspect in december we'll get a fuller trailer (more then likely attached to Sherlock Holmes a game of shadows a film that I believe I'm the only person on this board looking forward to it and willing to pay money to see it.)

December unless i mistake my guess will be a big a month for batman and bond.
    Are you willing to pay for the next trailer, or for A game of shadow ? I want to see next Sherlock Holmes too, just for the performance of R.D.J. and the music.

As for Batman teaser, I guess they didn't have filmed enough scenes yet in order to make something good. Teasing is an art. Just see how a lot of the Bond one were really creating something teasing. This teaser hasn't a lot of creativity and held no surprise appart from Gordon lying in bed. But everyone knows that in films, the guy wearing a moustache always end up real bad ^^
    lol no I wanna see game of shadows cause i liked Sherlock Holmes in 09 and am more then willing to see the Sequel.
    Same with Mission Impossible Ghost protocol and the Girl with the Dragoon Tattoo
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,043
    Once again it's down to personal opinion, I know Nolan has his detractors but in my view I'm glad he's around making the films he does and lets face it Martin Campbell or Mark Forster could not hold a torch to his work.

Nolan has raised the bar with blockbusters like no director since Spielberg you don't like him fine but his acclaim and box office show he far from sucks!

I'd like you to show me another director working his arena who is better!
    I'd like to see Batman return to the public eye as a hero in this next one, rather than the stupid ending to The Dark Knight. Seriously, I don't like what's been going on with Nolan's Batman movies. I preferred Batman 1989 and Batman Forever. Those two were excellent in my opinion, and they gave us terrific action, villains, music, and an all-around enjoyable movie. I hope that The Dark Knight Rises will be much better than TDK. Batman is supposed to have some form of excitement and fun, and I found The Dark Knight to be rather dull and boring, to tell the honest truth. Sure, everyone else says I'm a complete idiot for bashing TDK, but I didn't like it. Anyway, I'm expecting something better from TDKR.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    DarthDimi, it's nice to see a moderator let loose. And I'm with you. Nolan and his brother John are not just brilliant, but talented filmmakers. When I want to think, I watch Memento or Inception. When I want a great ride that is also deep for its subject matter, I watch The Dark Knight, and get mesmerized by Heath's chilling portrayal. J7 whatever your names is, I find you to be lacking research. They don't call teaser trailers TEASER trailer just for the fun of it. The TEASE you so your hype is built up until the films release. For lovers of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight,(which seems to be everyone but you. Hmmmm strange.) the trailer left a lot to be imagined and it was great. They've only just begun to film, so don't expect a light show. Feel free to do research next time, and don't rag on great films.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited July 2011 Posts: 823
    more evidence is a crappy teaser:

Who do you suppose that is? and What's he doing?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270603_10150247110601529_564926528_7792377_4349376_n.jpg

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 : just because the first 2 Batman movies made a lot of money, it doesn't necessarily means they are good and

NO, I am not the only one who didn't like the first 2 movies

Use GOOGLE and you will find 10 of 1000s of people who didn't care for the first 2 films too and they will tell you exactly why

I can tell you why but we will be here for the next 2 years posting back and forth about it because the list is very very very very long!!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 23,544
    I can tell you why but we will be here for the next 2 years posting back and forth about it because the list is very very very very long!!
    Okay, let's start with five good reasons then. I'm not going anywhere.
    crappy teaser trailer, take a bunch of the scenes from the first 2 movies, edit them together, add 30 seconds of uninteresting new stuff and try to pass it for a teaser trailer?
    You clearly don't understand what's going on here. For one, it's called a "teaser" trailer for a reason. It is not a theatrical trailer. If you look back to THE DARK KNIGHT, the teaser trailer was Alfred and Bruce discussing the Joker's rise followed by a soundbite from the Joker himself. The only image was the bat symbol falling apart into a deck of joker cards.

Secondly, Nolan has repeatedly said that THE DARK KNIGHT RISES comes "full circle" in the trilogy. Hence, the images and voiceover from BATMAN BEGINS are cut into it. The intention is clearly to look at the legend of Batman, especially in a situation where he no longer represents the ideals he started out with, as evidenced by the finale of THE DARK KNIGHT.
    more evidence is a crappy teaser:

Who do you suppose that is? and What's he doing?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/270603_10150247110601529_564926528_7792377_4349376_n.jpg
    We have no idea. And we're not really supposed to. You seem to be expecting the teaser trailer to explain absolutely everything to you, and yet you know full well that teaser trailers usually do not do this. I can only come to the conclusion that you have already pre-judged the film on the basis that you do not like Christopher Nolan and so you are attacking the film with anything you can find, regardless of how silly it makes you look.
    wait so teaser trailers aren't the whole film shadow wow ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Serious j7 -whatever. Lets have some REAL concrete reasons. These don't count:

-I don't like Christopher Nolan
    -It was too long
    -They took away from the legend of Batman
    -No nudity
    -I'm running out of ideas that don't count so I'm interested to see what you have to say.

Lets begin 2 years of posts.....NOW!
    wait so teaser trailers aren't the whole film shadow wow ;)
    Yes, that's the point I'm trying to make. The point that has been lost in j7, who knows this all too well considering that he used to post every single teaser and theatrical trailer he could find on the old site.
    I mean seriously, how horrible would a movie be if you knew everything about it. It takes away the joy of viewing films.
    it's all in personal taste I like Phantom of the opera the music is amazing others think Webber is a hack and horrible it is what it is. Wild hates Nolan's batman franchise I like it is what it is.
    Yes, but it's in the way he expresses that dislike that we have a problem. Like I said - j7 knows exactly what a teaser trailer is. The teaser trailer for THE DARK KNIGHT RISES does exactly what a teaser trailer is supposed to do. And yet, he is attacking it for being a teaser trailer simply because he does not like the Nolanverse. Nor does he bring anything intelligent to the discussion. He doesn't make any points that can be discussed; he just hates Nolan and so hates THE DARK KNIGHT RISES by association. The only reason why he watched the teaser trailer in the first place is to find things to attack.
  • What a great teaser trailer. I've never been more excited after watching a teaser, and Nolan knows just the right amount to show without giving too much away. I like that he goes to great lengths in keeping as much of his films private and hidden from the public. It makes the experience in the cinema so much more exciting for the audience. There's this quote I remember him saying once and I think it applies to the relationship between the process of making his films and the audience (us).

"Think of film noir and if you picture the story as a maze, you don’t want to be hanging above the maze watching the characters make the wrong choices because it’s frustrating. You actually want to be in the maze with them, making the turns at their side, that keeps it more exciting…I quite like to be in that maze."

As do I, we need more storytellers/directors out there like Nolan.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    So was that trailer it? Nothing special yet.
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited July 2011 Posts: 823
    I like Christopher Nolan. I just don't like his Batman movies!

He should be concentrating his time and effort on making a sequel to Inception!!

I can also already tell you he is going to ruin the Superman series with the upcoming Man of Steel but he won't be the first: Bryan Singer already did that!!

There hasn't been a decent big screen Superman movie since Superman 1 with Christopher Reeve!!

by the way, I know exactly what a Teaser Trailer is.

A Teaser Trailer must not give too much away of a movie (and we seen too many Teaser Trailers recently give the whole movie away including the plot twists)

NOR

must it not show too little to not cause interest in the upcoming movie.

USING what I learned 26 years ago when I was a Real Estate broker selling multi-million dollars commercial real estate:

AIDA

A - Attention (Awareness): attract the attention of the customer.
    I - Interest: raise customer interest by focusing on and demonstrating advantages and benefits (instead of focusing on features, as in traditional advertising).
    D - Desire: convince customers that they want and desire the product or service and that it will satisfy their needs.
    A - Action: lead customers towards taking action and/or purchasing.

no, I didn't make this up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDA_(marketing)

A Teaser Trailer must do the same thing with a movie - after all, a movie is a product and we, the moviegoers, are the customer buying this product.

This Teaser Trailer has not instill in me A, I and D and it will definitely not cause me to take Action.
    Still didn't give any reasons. Do you need Wikipedia to help you again? It's a simple question.
    I wont mind if it is directed again
    I like Christopher Nolan. I just don't like his Batman movies!

He should be concentrating his time and effort on making a sequel to Inception!!

I can also already tell you he is going to ruin the Superman series with the upcoming Man of Steel but he won't be the first: Bryan Singer already did that!!

There hasn't been a decent big screen Superman movie since Superman 1 with Christopher Reeve!!

This is just ridiculous. A sequel to Inception? That would be the biggest mistake in Nolan's career. Inception thrives on the freshness of what it presents. Any sequel would have to build on that but it can't offer the same thrills. It'd be suffering from the Matrix-syndrome. No sir, Inception is finished. A one film classic. Let's leave it that way. Don't expect them to Empire this out.

Yes, you can tell the future. Seriously, give Nolan a break. He's not directing Superman for starters. And saying that Singer ruined the franchise is a bit hypochondriacal. The comics still sell. There's still a lot of interest in the upcoming project. That's not ruining a franchise. Besides, I think a lot of people can't get passed the fact that Reeve is dead and will never be Superman again. Superman Returns may have had issues but I don't think it's as bad as some claim. I suppose it's easy to rant on a film like this and of course many people think it's cool to join the ranting. Again, you don't state any reasons. You merely present it as a fact. For what it's worth, the Donner cut of Superman 2 is quite al right too, IMO. I am also of the opinion that 3 and 4 were a mess, but Returns wasn't half as bad if you ask me as those critics claimed. And Singer, the man behind The Usual Suspects and X2, really knows his Superman a lot better than you or me. As for the next one, let's cut them some slack, okay. Here's how it goes:

1) Watch the film
    2) Form an opinion
    3) Refrain from trying to be in vogue with sour critics

And thus concludes our lesson for today.

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Still didn't give any reasons. Do you need Wikipedia to help you again? It's a simple question.
    I guess you didn't read my whole reply.

you just read what you want to read.

I was using wiki to tell you I didn't make AIDA up and the Teaser Trailer did not meet any of the marketing requirements in AIDA to make me want to see the film

And Darth Dimi: your argument is weak - there is no lesson in your argument!!

Inception deserves a sequel! The Superman movies and the Batman movies don't!

I guess you like LOUD, NOISY, QUICK EDITED films like The Dark Knight - filled with characters that have nothing to do!!

I guess you like LOUD, NOISY, QUICK EDITED films like The Dark Knight - filled with characters that have nothing to do!!
    We did not see the same film.
    I got bad news for you. There will always be Batman and Superman films, friend.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 110
    I think that the teaser was pretty good, considering that the movie is a year off. The chanting at the end sounds like a crowd is telling Bane to kill Batman. I hope that Bane breaks Batman's back.
    The chanting is said to be Moroccan, and apparrently translates as "He rises! He rises!". I've also heard that it's Spanish, and means "Kill, kill!"

Anyway, I don't think Bane will break Batman's back. I think he'll break Gordon's. It makes much more sense story-wise. The status quo at the beginning of the film has Batman missing/retired/away. For Bane to break Batman's back, Batman would have to come back, have the fight, get his back broken, go through rehabilitation and then come back once again. It just slows things down.

However, breaking Gordon's back advances the story, and is much more in line with Bane's intelligence and cunning. By breaking Gordon's back, Bane will force Batman to act when is isn't necessarily ready to do so. I think far too much emphasis is placed on Bane actually breaking the bat; the brilliance of the plan is that Bane was able to wear Batman down to the point where breaking his back was possible. Breaking Gordon's back would also remove one of Batman's strongest allies, which would be a double blow following the corruption and death of Harvey Dent. And finally, Bane is a totally different villain to the rest of Batman's rogues gallery. He is motivated by different things, fights for a different purpose. By brutally attacking Gordon in such a way, Batman would naturally approach Bane the same way he did the Joker when an altogether different approach would be necessary. All of this would stack the odds heavily in Bane's favour.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 110
    I know that it's out of the realm for a Nolan Batman movie, but it would be really cool if after Bane broke Batman's back, Batman used a form of exoskeleton, Kingdom Come style.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 269
    At last ! You offer an explanation about why you don't like the Batman from Nolan
    And Darth Dimi: your argument is weak - there is no lesson in your argument!!

even if I guess you still have to progress in constructive critics...
    Concerning youre only critic on the dark knight, I agree that it's loud, and blowing up from all parts. But which Blockbuster doesn't ? I guess the Bond film are among the one who have the most sound and music during the all movie, and QOS give us a good example of quick editing... as well as Inception that you like so much.
    I'm not sure TDK was so quick edited. There was a lot of different plan, and it was sometime hard to follow, but all this noise and quickness is part of the style of Nolan to get us very close to the action and to the characters. You have the right not to like this style, not to condemn it.

As for the character, the movie IS about how the characters interact with each other and are force into action. The story is build on it.

Otherwise, I think the same as Bartleby : it would be great if Batman had his back broken. it would let time to other character, such as Catwoman, to fight with evil,and then have Batman back, why not with exoskeleton. But I guess it's pretty unlikely to happen to the hero in the middle of the film. It's pretty sure that Gordon will have the same fate in TDKR as Rachel in TDK, bringing Batman to change his way with the villains.
    Anyway, I'm excited about it, and I hope they'll make something great from Bane.

As for Inception, it's my favourite movie in years, and doing a sequel would just weaken the film, as QOS did, in a way, with the impact of CR story.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Teaser trailers do exactly that: tease. It's common for clips to be added in to a sequel's teaser trailer, and of course the big points of a film won't be shown in a teaser trailer -- they're meant to tease! You cannot sit there and legitimately judge a film on a teaser trailer, no matter how you felt about the first two installments.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 28,694
    @j7wild, saying a film doesn't follow guidelines you found on Wikipedia is about as concrete as jello. Re-watch the film, and actually find problems with IT. The film itself. Who cares if a few guidelines you found on a site anyone can edit don't match with The Dark Knight. Seriously, what about Ledger's performance? The most chilling and horrifying take I've seen since Hopkins and Hannibal. If you dressed yourself today you can think for yourself why you didn't like a film.