The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Why are we talking about Megan Fox, the Cardboard Box as Catwoman? What a way to ruin a good film.

And j7, I really hope you don't get a job as a casting director one day. You've based your decision entirely on looks, which shows a fundamental misunderstanding of both the Catwoman character and the casting process. Both Green and Hathaway auditioned for the role of Selina Kyle. Hathaway won the role. Did you ever think of what that might be so?
    If you're going to step on @j7 get DC comics with him. I can't remember the last time Catwoman was used a an actual character instead of two breasts each the size of Bruce's head and a zipper pulled down to her chest. Sadly Catwoman is now a slutty looking tease who gets off on pricking Batman at every turn with her so called sex appeal. Hopefully Nolan will break the tide. And just because @j7 picked Eva doesn't mean he chose her only for looks. It just so happens that some top picks have been talented actresses with striking beauty.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mmm-MMM! I like to pretend that jacket is coming off, not being put on.
    Nah I like pretending to ride that bike. Nice.

I like pretending riding both.
    :-D
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    I chose Eva because she is talented.

I chose Megan because of peer pressure from 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

;)

;)
    Hey hey hey. I'm a simple man of simple taste. Is wanting Megan Fox in a leather Catwoman suit too much to ask?

[-O<
  • j7wildj7wild Suspended
    edited August 2011 Posts: 823

;)
    Hey hey hey. I'm a simple man of simple taste. Is wanting Megan Fox in a leather Catwoman suit too much to ask?

[-O<
    no it's not but unfortunately we have members here who wants more than just pretty look on their actresses;

they want their cake and eat their pie at the same time too....

;)

[-O<
    no it's not but unfortunately we have members here who wants more than just pretty look on their actresses;

they want their cake and eat their pie at the same time too....

I'm not saying for Megan to be in TDKR, but I'd just like her to be in a leather cat suit somewhere or in some film down her career. This is getting weird.....ah.......*I'm Batman!*(I cover my face with my cape and disappear into the night).
    Back on the actual topic, filming has been taking place at Heinz Field this weekend. There's a lot of recounts about what happens online, and a lot of them are contradictory, largely because the extras weren't told exactly what was happening at this point in the story.
    Back on the actual topic, filming has been taking place at Heinz Field this weekend. There's a lot of recounts about what happens online, and a lot of them are contradictory, largely because the extras weren't told exactly what was happening at this point in the story.
    Surprise Explosion reaction shots, wouldn't put it past nolan.
    this is how Anne's Catwoman should look like

why? because our expectations are high!! that's why!!
    That statement doesn´t make any sense to me. Why are you speaking of "our expectations"? I personally would say I have big expectations, but I don´t see why Hathaway should look like Catwoman from a Burton film.
    They´re making a film, not a portrait foto of Catwoman as designed by Tim Burton and his people.
    A film means, there´s probably going to be some kind of story.
    Catwoman might or might not play a huge role in that story.
    The story is made into a film by director Christopher Nolan, who in the meantime is rather well known for not making Tim Burton films.
    Scarecrow, The Joker, Twoface, they all didn´t look the least bit like characters from Tim Burton films. Why should Catwoman all of sudden have such a design?

• j7wildj7wild Suspended
    Why should Catwoman all of sudden have such a design?

because after all the movie is still based on the comics.

by your logic, then Nolan is free to make Batman costume poka dotted pink and purple!!
    Surprise Explosion reaction shots, wouldn't put it past nolan.
    Actually, it has more to do with photos from the shoot and videos from the stands make it pretty clear digital effects will be used. I'd say more, but I don't know if we have spoiler tags.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 5,767

by your logic, then Nolan is free to make Batman costume poka dotted pink and purple!!
    Well, the Catwoman design you foto-shopped is based on Burton´s ideas, not on comic books.

If the story Nolan wants to tell called for polka dots, then of course Nolan would be free to use those. Which doesn´t mean I´m sad he obviously has another story to tell, but that is beside the point ;-) .

It was very clear from the outset of BB on that Nolan does not pursue the approach of taking a certain image of a comic book character and build a film around that image. Quite the opposite, Nolan´s interest so far clearly was to have a story that shows as many realistic elements as possible and fit comic book characters into that story.
    Ergo the costumes are chosen to fit certain purposes according to the whole story that´s being told, not designs taken directly out of comic book fantasy worlds.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @boldfinger, you couldn't have said it better. Nolan is attempting to create a realistic world of Batman: real heartbreak that you care about, weapons, vehicles, and gadgets that are initial prototypes, all of it. He hasn't acquired some generic outfit and weapons with no backstory to it - there's realism there. All the outfits and weapons are engineered off of the fact that Nolan wants to make the experience as realistic as possible. Even with the stunts, he is trying to make them realistic, no models or anything. The flipping of the 18-wheeler in TDK? Real. The Batmobile smashing into the garbage truck? Real. No models whatsoever. He wants to give the viewers something of a realistic, yet enjoyable experience once they leave the theater.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

j7, sometimes, the comics use a very loose interpretation too. I have read Batman comics where Catwoman looks very different, where she even has whiskers on her mask. The Batman comics have been so broadly experimented with and re-interpreted, so noncohesive when one considers the entire universe, both in terms of story arcs, drawings and settings, that using the comics as a reference is almost like saying that anything goes.

http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=8247d2b9-7078-4f4b-ba5d-40146f06e2bb

The stunt woman for 'Catwoman' crashed into an IMAX camera on the set of 'TDKR'.
    I wonder if it was really an expensive camera, it could be for the effect of having a pov with the bike coming right at the audience.
    They said already in TDK that the Batpod is very difficult to steer, but it almost looks as if the stunt woman deliberately hit the camera.
    Edit: No, apparently not. The rear wheel looks like it loses contact with the ground, thus rendering the bike impossible to steer properly. Poor camera.

Anyway, nice video, thanks @Creasy47.
    It's an IMAX camera, and they're in the region of hundreds of thousands of dollars. That has to suck.

And no problem, @boldfinger, thanks.
    edited August 2011 Posts: 23,563
    I just had yet another one of those fancy debates concerning Nolan's cold and cerebral way of telling a story and developing characters. Where is it written down as an absolute law that films have to be heart-warming and emotionally stimulating? I myself can take great pleasure in films that are intellectually challenging, that force me to think, to work while I sit there watching them. My favourite film ever, 2001, doesn't convey many emotions either but it sets my brains on fire. It inspires me. I have similar experiences with films like Pi, Cube, Donnie Darko and even The Matrix. These films have a soul too, only not in the typical sense perhaps, but they warm me up for some brain activity. It's in my nature to enjoy that. I kick on math and exact science, I love to connect dots, in fact I prefer it over trying to feel for blue people having intercourse with trees.

Nolan's Batman is much more of a cognitive experience than an affective one. Yet who's to decide that is the wrong way to go? The old Adam West Batman was campy to unspeakable extremes, yet it had its merits and there are days when I enjoy this version. This goes for the old Batman comics as well. The Burton Batman strikes a balance between the old Batman and the darker, more down-to-earth Batman from Year One, yet still heavily supported by Burton's extravagant style. I love his Batman films, yet once again, I see no reason why this should be the authoritative Batman. Many people embraced this Batman back in '89 as a welcome increase in seriousness compared to the Adam West Batman they grew up with and now, with Nolan going darker and colder still, they suddenly have trouble letting their ideal go. What they often fail to grasp, especially when they device pointless arguments as if only Burton's Batman is the 'correct' Batman, is that there is no 'one' Batman, no correct Batman. Batman can be viewed from a variety of different angles. Today, I can feel like reading the Long Halloween Batman, tomorrow I might feel more like reading an over-the-top Batman & Robin comic from the 1940's. There are days in fact, few though as they are, when I feel like watching the unspeakable evil that is Batman & Robin. It comes down to the mood I'm in.

I can tell from this and other threads that many here have a very fixed idea of what Batman should be like. Please understand though that you're merely working from the textbook of you own preferences. You can never successfully argue that your view is the only correct one. This involves story arcs, costume details, ... Only a minor few recurring and sacred elements can be considered closed to any form of change.

I love Nolan's Batman and I won't let anyone make me feel like a non-connoisseur over that. I have 1,5 meters of Batman comics and graphic novels sitting proudly next to me, and I've read many more. I've seen the cartoons, the Adam West series, the films, including most of the animated ones, and I've played Arkham Asylum multiple times already. I'm a Batman fan in my own right and no one needs to argue that fact based on silly bickering concerning Catwoman's costume or Nolan's style. I fact, I welcome that Nolan at least tried something new, without simply redoing what Burton did in '89.

If you don't like Nolan's Batman, I've got good news for you. There are 5 live action films available to keep you going for a while, and after TDKR, Nolan won't touch Batman anymore, or so he says. Someone else will step in, bring a new style and tone to the game, and a different crowd might be pleased. So let us all stop pretending that our views on Batman have the power of a law of physics and move on. Nolan's Batman films may be cold and cerebral, but since when is that 'proof' of bad filmmaking?
    Take a stand, @DarthDimi! I love Nolan's portrayal of Batman - gritty realism - and his older films always wow me. I think that was what the huge treat in seeing 'Inception' was - I had to think and question reality the entire time I watched it. The answers and the plot weren't spoon-fed to me or given to me on a silver platter. I had to give it multiple viewings to take in the broad scope of what was going on. By doing so, I enjoy the film more and more each time.
    @DarthDimi Man, you make me want to shove that TDK DVD into the player right away!

I think Burton is so often taken as reference because his first Batman film was really the first big movie at all that really looked like a comic. Ironically, if I´m not mistaken, the whole design is Burton´s and not from any comic book.
    @DarthDimi Man, you make me want to shove that TDK DVD into the player right away!

I think Burton is so often taken as reference because his first Batman film was really the first big movie at all that really looked like a comic. Ironically, if I´m not mistaken, the whole design is Burton´s and not from any comic book.
    You're right.

Burton's film worked from the same basis as did Batman Begins: Year One. It's one of the top ranking graphic novels in the Batman universe, and we owe our thanks to Frank Miller for that. However, the fact of Joker killing Bruce's parents, that's entirely new stuff. I suppose in the end, they put that in for the sake of romantic storytelling in a big Hollywood film. People who believe though that Burton's Batman is the very antithesis to the Adam West Batman are somewhat wrong. For starters, Nicholson's Joker is almost a replica of Romero's Joker.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=8247d2b9-7078-4f4b-ba5d-40146f06e2bb

The stunt woman for 'Catwoman' crashed into an IMAX camera on the set of 'TDKR'.
    Nolan was never going to be able to use the reported $250 million budget the film has, so at least he can spend it on something now.
    Absolutely. That has to be one of the biggest budgets I've ever seen.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Absolutely. That has to be one of the biggest budgets I've ever seen.
    With Nolan being able to give us so much with the money he uses, this could look like a film that costs twice as much.
    j7, why does Nolan's Catwoman have to look like Burton's? While Burton's Catwoman was cool and all, she was almost nothing like the Catwoman from the source material. At least Nolan's somewhat mimics Catwoman's comic look from the last decade or so.

Breaking the IMAX camera must be Nolan's thing. They also broke one when filming the chase scene in 'The Dark Knight.'
    Breaking the IMAX camera must be Nolan's thing. They also broke one when filming the chase scene in 'The Dark Knight.'
    Well, he´s a fan of Bond films, so TND comes to my mind: ´Collision coverage? I hope not, but accidents do happen. Property damage? Definitely.´

I hope the film inside the camera didn´t get damaged. It should be a cool perspective. I think I´ll sit in the film looking out for that one, so that I can then turn to my friends to tell them, ´you know they broke an IMAX camera filming that shot´. ;-)

• j7wildj7wild Suspended

that bat mobile doesn't look very street safe... has it passed the annual state safety inspection?

no big deal about the camera - that's why they have completion bond insurance in their budget
    The tumbler did the same thing in TDK.. There's only about 6 of those cameras in the world........... Now... X_X
    There's only about 6 of those cameras in the world..
    Whoops! No´anymore!

And we're talking huge money per camera