SKYFALL: FANS' REACTIONS - GUARANTEED SPOILERS

Comments

• hoppimikehoppimike Kent, UK
    jka12002 wrote:
    Well at least its not as bad as the last Bond forum i went to, when i posted a reply simliar to this here was the response i got :

"YOU STUPID ASSHOLE!! I HOPE YOU DIE YOU RETARDED MORON!!!"

Clearly he was rather passionate about it lol
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    hoppimike wrote:
    jka12002 wrote:
    Well at least its not as bad as the last Bond forum i went to, when i posted a reply simliar to this here was the response i got :

"YOU STUPID ASSHOLE!! I HOPE YOU DIE YOU RETARDED MORON!!!"

Clearly he was rather passionate about it lol

That's not passion, that pathetic disrespect.

True passion is worth all the blind cussing and tantrums in the world for arguments of any nature.
    :) was only playing.

the guy sounds craaaazy lol
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Id rather get that than the infamous "Just die already" response that most fanboys like to throw at people. I wonder if anyone has said that here.
    jka12002 wrote:
    Id rather get that than the infamous "Just die already" response that most fanboys like to throw at people. I wonder if anyone has said that here.
    How long have you been a member on this forum?

hoppimike wrote:
    Ultimately I think the variation of opinion is inevitable as we've said before, particularly on a series like Bond that has changed and evolved rather dramatically a fair number of times in its lifetime.

I'm sure there are people who dislike DAD or QoS or whatever just as much as I dislike Skyfall :)

Stick around a while longer. DAD is universally accepted on here and most Bond forums as the worst Bond film ever.

I'm still baffled how you can comment on cheesy moments in SF, yet find everything in DAD to be fine and dandy.

But each to their own. I think a few members on here are right - you are getting a lot of stick on here at present, so I'll try to lay off...... :)>-
    jka12002 wrote:

Is it that hard for you to go to my profile page and find out.
    jka12002 wrote:
    jka12002 wrote:

It was in fact sarcasm. If you had been on here for several years, or even months, you will find members may not agree with each other, but noone threatens anyone like the comment you stated above.

The fact that you mentioned it suggests you have expectations for that to happen around here. If you are looking for that kind of behaviour, may I suggest you take a trip down to IMDB, as you will find better company there......

jka12002 wrote:
    jka12002 wrote:

It was in fact sarcasm. If you had been on here for several years, or even months, you will find members may not agree with each other, but noone threatens anyone like the comment you stated above.

The fact that you mentioned it suggests you have expectations for that to happen around here. If you are looking for that kind of behaviour, may I suggest you take a trip down to IMDB, as you will find better company there......

I wasnt implying that people do that here. Quit being a jackass with everyone.
    jka12002 wrote:
    jka12002 wrote:
    jka12002 wrote:

I wasnt implying that people do that here. Quit being a jackass with everyone.

Then start showing a tad more respect, instead of referring to people here as `fanboys', and asking the question in the first place. If you didn't believe people did that here, why mention it?
    edited February 2013 Posts: 188
    Find something better to do than to flame me over nothing. when i said "fanboys" i was not reffering to you guys, i was reffering to the people on the other Bond forum i mentioned.

Plus, since when did the term Fanboy become offensive. Im actually being serious when i ask this because you're the first one that got on my caste about saying that.

Im sorry if you found my post offensive but you're really getting worked up over nothing. If i thought you guys did things like that here i wouldn't have joined here in the first place. Period.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Craig is the first Bond that I am older than (by eight years), and today watching Skyfall I have a pretty emotional review of it.
    I feel OLD.
    The Fleming Bond is dead & buried. The classic cinema Bond has faded away.
    Time to make way for the Bond of the 21st Century, I guess.
    Skyfall was a mish-mash of old & new, ticking boxes along the way, creating new backstory, the Bond theme was injected at points (like occasional flu shots) and some welcome wit surfaced at moments, but overall it struck me as merely a better version of a Bourne movie, and while that's saying a lot, it left me wanting a Dalton, Brosnan, Connery or even Moore flick. I'm so torn; half of me thinks this could eventually be a top fiver once I accept it (like I did CR & QOS)- and the other half thinks it's a bottom fiver now & forever. It was amazingly well made, but I feel sort of slapped in the face. Kind of the inverse but equal reaction I had to DAD, if that makes any sense.
    And it has nothing to do with M's death, that was an expected thing, and I knew Severine was gonna buy it (hated it anyway; she was discarded like trash- even Mathis got a few final words of sorts)...
    And BTW, did Daniel HAVE to have a military crew cut? It just made his ageing show so much more acutely!
    The score was serviceable, but in a Bond movie that translates to: sucks.
    And NOW? Craig's too old to do Bond in his prime. That window is gone.
    Not my best Birthday ever...

I must put on TLD to regain homeostasis. :O
    jka12002 wrote:
    Find something better to do than to flame me over nothing. when i said "fanboys" i was not reffering to you guys, i was reffering to the people on the other Bond forum i mentioned.

Plus, since when did the term Fanboy become offensive. Im actually being serious when i ask this because you're the first one that got on my caste about saying that.
    Fanboy sounds a rather derogatory term to me. Yes, we are all Bond fans on here, but `fanboys' sounds like a gang of young teenagers on the internet jumping on to the latest trend or fad, then moving on to another one shortly afterwards.

I'm not suggesting you fit this category, and point taken. I'll try to chill out a tad more on here......

B-)
    Ok then ill stop using that that word, fine with me. Sorry about the misunderstanding
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 3,279
    chrisisall wrote:
    Craig is the first Bond that I am older than (by eight years), and today watching Skyfall I have a pretty emotional review of it.
    I feel OLD.
    The Fleming Bond is dead & buried. The classic cinema Bond has faded away.
    Time to make way for the Bond of the 21st Century, I guess.
    Skyfall was a mish-mash of old & new, ticking boxes along the way, creating new backstory, the Bond theme was injected at points (like occasional flu shots) and some welcome wit surfaced at moments, but overall it struck me as merely a better version of a Bourne movie, and while that's saying a lot, it left me wanting a Dalton, Brosnan, Connery or even Moore flick. I'm so torn; half of me thinks this could eventually be a top fiver once I accept it (like I did CR & QOS)- and the other half thinks it's a bottom fiver now & forever. It was amazingly well made, but I feel sort of slapped in the face. Kind of the inverse but equal reaction I had to DAD, if that makes any sense.
    And it has nothing to do with M's death, that was an expected thing, and I knew Severine was gonna buy it (hated it anyway; she was discarded like trash- even Mathis got a few final words of sorts)...
    And BTW, did Daniel HAVE to have a military crew cut? It just made his ageing show so much more acutely!
    The score was serviceable, but in a Bond movie that translates to: sucks.
    And NOW? Craig's too old to do Bond in his prime. That window is gone.
    Not my best Birthday ever...

I must put on TLD to regain homeostasis. :O
    I feel far more confident in the path taken now after SF than I was after QoS. A few years ago CR was looking like a one-off fluke, yet to me SF is on par with that now classic Bond film.

I agree about Craig's hair though. I noticed it from the off, when we saw the early photos leaked that it was too short, and made him look far older than he already does.

If you see DC on interview and premieres afterwards, his hair is more the right length for Bond, and looks at least 10 years younger than he did in SF.

I am guessing they made his hair deliberately short in SF to make him look older and washed out, but what I would have done is have the final shots in M's office with Craig sporting longer hair on top. It puts years back on him.

I feel far more confident in the path taken now after SF than I was after QoS.
    The end of SF certainly sets it up for better films, we can only hope.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    jka12002 wrote:
    Ok then ill stop using that that word, fine with me. Sorry about the misunderstanding

You are fine, mate. Use the term to your liking and forget about the rude intrusions that can occur at times on this site. I am proud to be called a "fanboy", as it refers to anyone passionate with their love of something. That in my book is an honor I am proud to carry, and with no quibbles.
    hoppimike wrote:
    Ultimately I think the variation of opinion is inevitable as we've said before, particularly on a series like Bond that has changed and evolved rather dramatically a fair number of times in its lifetime.

I'm sure there are people who dislike DAD or QoS or whatever just as much as I dislike Skyfall :)

Stick around a while longer. DAD is universally accepted on here and most Bond forums as the worst Bond film ever.

I'm still baffled how you can comment on cheesy moments in SF, yet find everything in DAD to be fine and dandy.

But each to their own. I think a few members on here are right - you are getting a lot of stick on here at present, so I'll try to lay off...... :)>-

heh, thanks dude :)

And no, no I wouldn't say all is fine and dandy in DAD. I saw it in the cinema when it first came out and thought it was... alright. Bit cheesy, bit OTT and yet unremarkable at the same time, but not like... truly unpleasant!

I think the issues that I have with Skyfall that aren't in DAD are primarily its depressing nature to me (yet broken up with jokes... feels very uneven to me), constant disappointments (lamest Q gadgets ever, Bond not in his prime, very few foreign locations, M dies etc etc), clumsy, easy crowd-pleasers, Home Alone -style ending that to me felt simplistic and low budget, and so on.

Towards the end I found myself genuinely muttering "I'm not even joking, I could have made a better Bond film than this..." lol

I mean who knows, I'll rewatch the second half of it again soon and maybe I'll like it more this time. But Skyfall just did nothing for me and I much prefer CR, GE and QoS, as I say :)
    hoppimike wrote:
    Skyfall just did nothing for me and I much prefer CR, GE and QoS, as I say :)
    Home Alone, Bond style!
    [-X
    chrisisall wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    Home Alone, Bond style!
    [-X

haha, exactly! Just felt so silly to me.

Even if Home Alone had never been made though - MI6 working with improvised cheap explosives and an old shotgun with no backup whatsoever against the biggest criminal in the UK is just stupid lol
    Last time I checked, Bond wasn't a little kid forgotten by his parents on a trip to Europe... 8-|

But there I go with my common sense again...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    hoppimike wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    Home Alone, Bond style!
    [-X

Even if Home Alone had never been made though - MI6 working with improvised cheap explosives and an old shotgun with no backup whatsoever against the biggest criminal in the UK is just stupid lol

Watch "Live Wire" Pierce Brosnan does something very similar in that movie and involves a bit more gore. ;)
    Last time I checked, Bond wasn't a little kid forgotten by his parents on a trip to Europe... 8-|
    No, on a trip to death.
    Not being funny here, just saying that the parallel is unavoidable.
    Murdock wrote:
    Watch "Live Wire" Pierce Brosnan does something very similar in that movie and involves a bit more gore. ;)
    That was a pretty good movie, BTW.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    That was a pretty good movie, BTW.
    One of my favorite Brosnan "Non Bond" roles. :)
    If you guys want a movie thats 100% similar to Bond. Check out Golgo 13.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,407

But there I go with my common sense again...

I've been trying to find a way to turn my thoughts into words towards people who keep saying how the Home Alone thing is "silly" And now I don't need to because you said this. Thank you
    hoppimike wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    hoppimike wrote:
    Home Alone, Bond style!
    [-X

What you call stupid, I'll say it's heroic...
    Gauls vs. Caesar's legions
    England alone vs. Nazi Germany
    Ewoks vs. elite stormtroopers
    Hobbits vs. orcs
  • Skyfall wasn't a home alone reference, or any kind of acknowledgment, there was merely similarities between the previous movie but nothing intentional

One previous response went as far to declare that Skyfall was a better release than both of Dalton's adventures. It wasn't
    0013 wrote:
    What you call stupid, I'll say it's heroic...
    Gauls vs. Caesar's legions
    England alone vs. Nazi Germany
    Ewoks vs. elite stormtroopers
    Hobbits vs. orcs

Bond could have done away handily with them with MI6 help. But they couldn't because of the SCRIPT. It was a Home Alone adult clone.
    On a better note, just finished TLD- wow, what a FANTASTIC Bond movie!!!!!!
  • and hold your hands up and admit it's an all round better James Bond movie than Skyfall

At least Dalton keeps it sensible, as always, and no falling off waterfalls or shot off moving trains and fights with CGI dragons etc