Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

Looks like J.J. Abrams will be directing Star Wars: Episode VII after all if this report is anything to go by...

http://collider.com/j-j-abrams-star-wars/
    bondsum wrote:
    Looks like J.J. Abrams will be directing Star Wars: Episode VII after all if this report is anything to go by...

http://collider.com/j-j-abrams-star-wars/

Also reported as confirmed at SHH:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174633-breaking-jj-abrams-to-direct-star-wars-episode-vii

• Don't mind the director. Just a good script.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Star Trek fans must be pissed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pretty interesting to see one man tackling both 'Star Wars' and 'Star Trek' now. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    It could have been much worse I guess, just keep bloody Lindelof well away he's already screwed one Space based film up recently.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The pressure is on for Abrams. Not a directing job for the weak.
    He's not the worst choice for a film like this, I think he could do rather well. If he's a fan of the original trilogy then we have at least some hope of a better film than the Lucas prequel mess.
    Ben Affleck was also high on the consideration list as well according to reports. Not a person I would consider helming a Star Wars film. But that's just me. He has established himself as a director of note, so maybe I shouldn't hold that against him.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I suppose this isn't totally confirmed yet - just in an 'Adele is doing the SF theme song' way: not 100% confirmed, but you know it is.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This is the first report: http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/jj-abrams-set-direct-next-star-wars-film-exclusive-74596

So Abrams is in charge of Star Wars and Star Trek?... What do the hardcore fans on both sides make of this?

Also, do you reakon Lucas will want to lock him down for VIII and IX?

Get ready for Star Wars: Episode VII - Return of the Lens Flairs jokes.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 1,310
    Another source for the sake of being sure: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney/
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Star Wars Episode VII: Dammit Luke, Stop Shining That in My Eye
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=36294

My first thoughts are will he create the star wars movie i would like to see? Like star trek reboot, as much as liked the first movie it was lacking in certain areas, which i over looked because of nature of the movie.

Would rather have someone like Snyder or Matthew Vaughn direct Episode VII.
  • AliAli
    SJK91 wrote:
    Another source for the sake of being sure: http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/j-j-abrams-to-direct-new-star-wars-movie-for-disney/
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Star Wars Episode VII: Dammit Luke, Stop Shining That in My Eye

Star Wars Episode VII: No we're not in purgatory, definitely not... oh, hang on, we are.
  • surprised to hear selection of Mr. Abrams after his denials. I think it's a fine choice and he's certainly proved he can revitalize a franchise before. More thoughts here:

http://toddmthatcher.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/star-wars-director-announced-the-force-is-with-j-j-abrams/
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think JJ's a great choice. Here is the new, Abrams inspired logo ;)

starwarslensflarelogo_zps1568a571.jpg
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    talos7 wrote:
    I think JJ's a great choice. Here is the new, Abrams inspired logo ;)

starwarslensflarelogo_zps1568a571.jpg

Haha, good one.

I'm confident Abrams will do something very distinguishable from Trek, he's too smart to cut/paste.

I just fear we won't see another Trek film after this years in the same timeline they have going now. Just another reboot around 2018.. (:|
    Apparently there will be one final (third) film to end a trilogy, then it can be passed onto someone else.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Apparently there will be one final (third) film to end a trilogy, then it can be passed onto someone else.

But when? Can Abrams do SW in 2015 and push out Trek by 2016?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I see JJ overseeing the next Trek but not directing.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    As a major fan of Star Wars I couldn't be happier. I've never been a huge Star Trek fan but Abrams 2009 movie is a damn good one, I own it on Blu-Ray. I trust he'll do Star Wars justice.
  • I never liked Abrams with Star Trek. Hell, 2009 Star Trek feels more like a Star Wars movie, and the prequel trilogy with all that bullcrap on space politics, negotiations and star-crossed lovers seemed more like Trek episodes ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I for one loved Abrams Star Trek. I'm a huge TOS fan and I saw it as a fresh take to the series. I expect the same thing for Abrams Star Wars. :)
  • I'm not sure I'm that happy about it. I think maybe after one more after Into Darkness, and it's time to close the chapter on the alternate universe and go back to the prime reality. Star Trek has so much detail and lore and an incredibly rich universe which has been built up over the years, I really found it lazy that they felt there was no where to go or no where they could have taken it but to reboot. I enjoyed the 2009 movie immensely, but it feels hollow, it's lacking that thing that made Star Trek what it was and that was the chemistry between the characters that you had seen them in the show so when you saw them on screen it was like being with family, whereas thats the first time im seeing the new cast so didn't quite 'gel' for me. Also didn't like the modified Enterprise, I found it a bit gaudy.
    I'm not sure how I feel about this move if the report from Wrap is true. Personally I'd have preferred Ron Howard or Frank Darabont to helm the new SW. Though I like what Abrams has done with Trek so far, I feel that to helm two iconic fantasy franchises at the same time there could be a conflict of interests. Also, Abrams was quite influenced by a New Hope with his old Spock introduction on "Delta Vega" which does have glaring parallels to Obi Wan and his own introduction. In other words, I'm slightly concerned about originality with Abrams kick-starting a Star Wars revival. It'll be interesting to see how good Into Darkness really is and whether it shows his limitations in taking Star Trek forwards.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Anybody remember back when Trek 2009 was being touted as "The Star Wars of the new generation!" by the commercials?

JJ Abrams would be a great choice!
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

But when? Can Abrams do SW in 2015 and push out Trek by 2016?

There were four years between film one and two, so another four year before the next one is likely. 2009, 2013 and 2017.
    I saw this somewhere on the net and it did make me laugh:
    If you were alive today then you probably already heard this bit of news. J.J. Abrams, the creator of Felicity, will direct the new Star Wars movie. Expect the movie to take place on Tattooine, where the multiple suns will provide plenty of opportunity for lens flare.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I really don't get the love people have for Abrams - what has he done that's any good? Armageddon??? LOST was awful, what I saw of it, and Star Trek 09 had zero substance.

I'd rather see John Favreau do Star Wars.
    DrNo wrote:
    I really don't get the love people have for Abrams - what has he done that's any good? Armageddon??? LOST was awful, what I saw of it, and Star Trek 09 had zero substance.

JJ Abrams is a fanboy that actually does have some really great work, LOST is brilliant television, Felicity was fun, Alias was a great spy-series, he rebooted the Mission Impossible movies with III & IV, and whether you like it or not dragged the Star Trek franchise from a fairly hopeless position and gave a whole new generation a taste of Star Trek. And I loved that Super 8 movie.
    As a creative person one should take a look at his work at imdb and you see easily that his imput might start the new SW trilogy in a fairly exciting direction and full high adventure as well.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DrNo wrote:

Who actually remembers that Abrams had anything to do with Armageddon? Lost was confusing, though I've used it to create many a joke about the show Arrow (apparently, my brother cannot watch that show without my jokes). Star Trek 09 was a great film, with way too much lens flare (and yet no epilepsy warnings), plenty of action, a good story, very good acting. There was little wrong with it, except I wish we'd had a space battle on par with the one at the beginning of First Contact.

Jon Favreau would do good as a Star Wars director, and he'd probably play R2-D2, as well (he needs to put himself in all of his movies).