Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That would be great if Mark Hamill was asked to return if Luke is indeed aged in the film. [-O<
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That would be great if Mark Hamill was asked to return if Luke is indeed aged in the film. [-O<

It would be so great for that to happen. I think I read a little while back that he said he would, or that he was already asked to return. I think the same goes for Carrie Fisher.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

It would be so great for that to happen. I think I read a little while back that he said he would, or that he was already asked to return. I think the same goes for Carrie Fisher.

And we know Harrison would. He would think he could still play Han at age 90. I love him, but boy is he delusional. See Indy 4.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I've been there, unfortunately. That's...let's not even talk about that film. I just ignore it and pretend like it doesn't exist.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I've been there, unfortunately. That's...let's not even talk about that film. I just ignore it and pretend like it doesn't exist.

Same. The point I am trying to make is that Harrison will think he can return to any role at any age.
    I want to see Mara Jade, one of the most interesting characters in the EU.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    0013 wrote:
    I want to see Mara Jade, one of the most interesting characters in the EU.

It's doubtful. But add to that Grand Admiral Thrawn.
  • Ooh and Kyle Katarn!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Ooh and Kyle Katarn!

Let's not forget Dash Rendar. Let's throw in Kyp Durron for good measure.
    What about Rachel McAdams as Mara Jade?
    Interested to read that Disney are trying to lure the poster artist Drew Struzan to return for New STAR WARS films. After 35 years of creating Star Wars posters, artist Drew Struzan has attempted to retire, but may be lured back by the siren call of Disney’s new Star Wars trilogy. In fact, Struzan himself reports that Disney has literally called him recently to possibly return in order to create posters for the new films. While nothing is official at the moment, Struzan seems open to the idea if not overly enthusiastic about it.

I just wish the Bond producers or studio for that matter would recognize the added value of a creative and cohesive poster campaign like Disney pictures, who seem to be sending out all the right signals it terms of marketing. The fact that they are still sticking with an illustrative artist rather than the generic Photoshopped nonentities is definitely the way to go and one that EON should return to with all due haste.

If you want to read more about Drew Struzan hit the jump...
    http://collider.com/star-wars-drew-struzan-posters/#more-225909
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    As far as Bond goes, with everything now set up, the next film is the ideal time to do this.

As far as Star Wars goes, does this mean they'll want John Williams back as well? Might as well milk everyone for everything they're worth while they're breathing...
    Samuel001 wrote:
    As far as Bond goes, with everything now set up, the next film is the ideal time to do this.

As far as Star Wars goes, does this mean they'll want John Williams back as well? Might as well milk everyone for everything they're worth while they're breathing...

Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy!!! [-O<
    Samuel001 wrote:

If not.. it HAS GOT TO BE, NO DOUBT Michael Giacchino. I don't care if he's doing Star Trek too. He is THE guy besides Williams. But I'd still prefer Williams.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

If not.. it HAS GOT TO BE, NO DOUBT Michael Giacchino. I don't care if he's doing Star Trek too. He is THE guy besides Williams. But I'd still prefer Williams.

What would it matter if he was also doing Star Trek? Ben Burtt, the creator of the original sound effects for the first six Star Wars films also did the sound effects for the 2009 Star Trek.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondsum wrote:
    Interested to read that Disney are trying to lure the poster artist Drew Struzan to return for New STAR WARS films. After 35 years of creating Star Wars posters, artist Drew Struzan has attempted to retire, but may be lured back by the siren call of Disney’s new Star Wars trilogy. In fact, Struzan himself reports that Disney has literally called him recently to possibly return in order to create posters for the new films. While nothing is official at the moment, Struzan seems open to the idea if not overly enthusiastic about it.

I just wish the Bond producers or studio for that matter would recognize the added value of a creative and cohesive poster campaign like Disney pictures, who seem to be sending out all the right signals it terms of marketing. The fact that they are still sticking with an illustrative artist rather than the generic Photoshopped nonentities is definitely the way to go and one that EON should return to with all due haste.

If you want to read more about Drew Struzan hit the jump...
    http://collider.com/star-wars-drew-struzan-posters/#more-225909

I completely agree with with your wish for the Bond team to abandon the generic photoshop approach to posters. I'm a fan of Struzan's work. From what I've read I don't know if retirement was something for which he was eager or he was just as tired of so many producers just slapping together some images and calling the results a movie poster. I know there were several films for which he did artwork that was ultimately discarded for the less imaginative approach. His apparent lack of enthusiasm might just be caution from having been burned in the past.

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

What would it matter if he was also doing Star Trek? Ben Burtt, the creator of the original sound effects for the first six Star Wars films also did the sound effects for the 2009 Star Trek.

Exactly. I think it is a big worked up myth that all Trekkies and Star Wars fans have an animosity towards each other when it's all about living long and prospering. No need to fight. ;)
  • Maybe it's not too late to see Jedi Master Dahark in a movie yet! I have two whole big stories that I've shelved (from when I lost interest in Star Wars in the early 2000's)
    They take place after ROTJ and everything! 8->
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Exactly. I think it is a big worked up myth that all Trekkies and Star Wars fans have an animosity towards each other when it's all about living long and prospering. No need to fight. ;)

I don't get it anyway. I love Star Wars and Star Trek (Star Wars a little more, but I have fonder memories of Star Wars than Star Trek), they're not that similar. Star Wars has intergalactic swordsmen swashbuckling and fighting evil. There was a little political sideplotting in the prequels and (surprisingly) quite a bit of the EU, but it was very much a straight Good Vs Evil, old-school fantasy storyline set in a futuristic society. Star Trek is exploration (very much Wagon Train in space, as Gene Roddenberry described it), some political study, societal study, a lot of commentary on issues that plague and describe society, no one is good or evil (well, except the Borg). A sci-fi story if ever there was one. Hell, if any two franchises with the word "star" in the title should be compared, it's Star Trek and Stargate, because Stargate follows Trek's "planet of the week" methodology quite well.
    The next Star Wars movies need a top director , good actors not cgi , a new plot were you dont know what going to happen next. Not everything has to be sith v jedi. The Return of the Jedi Jabba the Hutt scene were Skywalker is surrounded by bounty hunters was nicely done,it had a very dark side to it,black clothes and a threatning attitude not what a jedi is supposed to do. i hope Mark Hamill will be in the movie,Harrison Ford is making a big budget sci-fi movie now Ender Games if that is successful will he have time to make star wars?
    Could it be based on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed(Starkiller)?

renno61 wrote:
    Could it be based on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed(Starkiller)?

Well, I doubt that. They've already said it would be an original story. Now, supposing Starkiller's TFUII clone is still alive, they might bring him back, but I doubt it.
  • AliAli
    More AT-ATs please. Most iconic thing they ever came up with.
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    NO Mara Jade. WORST Mary Sue character ever shoehorned into Star Wars. A better Jedi than Luke, a better gambler than Lando, a better pilot than Han, a better servant to the Emperor than Vader and hotter and more kickass than Leia? Even a better dancer than Oola - hahaha.

GROAN. Terrible character.

Actually I didn't like ANY of Zahn's much vaunted trilogy except for Thrawn. It was very dry and staid. For my money, Brian Daley, Matthew Stover and Kevin J. Anderson wrote the closest to the original feel of Star Wars.
  • AliAli
    I read the Thrawn trilogy when they came out and thought they were no better than Alan Dean Foster's Splinter Of A Mind's Eye. I preferred the Black Fleet Crisis as a trilogy.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I thought the Thrawn trilogy was awesome but highly overrated. My favorite EU book is by far "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry, followed by the "Thrawn Trilogy" by Timothy Zahn, and then the "Darth Bane Trilogy" by Drew Krapyshyn. I'm getting ready to read "Labyrinth of Evil" by James Luceno, it's the prequel to "Revenge of the Sith".
    I thought the Thrawn trilogy was awesome but highly overrated. My favorite EU book is by far "Shadows of the Empire" by Steve Perry, followed by the "Thrawn Trilogy" by Timothy Zahn, and then the "Darth Bane Trilogy" by Drew Krapyshyn. I'm getting ready to read "Labyrinth of Evil" by James Luceno, it's the prequel to "Revenge of the Sith".

I love the Thrawn Trilogy, though my favorite EU novel has to be Death Troopers. I'm a sucker for zombies, even in the Star Wars universe. Labyrinth is good, a slightly quick read (I'm a slow reader, and it took me less than three days to read it) with a kind of boring section near the middle involving what Anakin and Obi-Wan are doing during the Siege of Coruscant.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 1,812

I love the Thrawn Trilogy, though my favorite EU novel has to be Death Troopers. I'm a sucker for zombies, even in the Star Wars universe. Labyrinth is good, a slightly quick read (I'm a slow reader, and it took me less than three days to read it) with a kind of boring section near the middle involving what Anakin and Obi-Wan are doing during the Siege of Coruscant.

I liked "Death Troopers" as well but the thing that lost points with me was...
    Han and Chewie showing up. It just seemed like the writer put them in there for the sake of putting them in there. It felt very out of place. If he wanted someone from the films it should've been Boba Fett. He could've been dropping off a bounty when the crap hit the fan.

To be honest I'm happy to hear that Labyrinth is a good and quick read because I'm a slow reader too. I've been wanting to read this one for a while now, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Fans of SW have told me that "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" and "Labyrinth of Evil" are the two best PT books. I would also like to read the "Republic Commando" series.

I liked "Death Troopers" as well but the thing that lost points with me was...
    Han and Chewie showing up. It just seemed like the writer put them in there for the sake of putting them in there. It felt very out of place. If he wanted someone from the films it should've been Boba Fett. He could've been dropping off a bounty when the crap hit the fan.
    Yeah, the Han and Chewie thing was a little OTT. I guess I would have liked to see Boba there instead, because I'm a sucker for a Fett in my Star Wars reading. Overall, their appearance didn't exactly add or detract from Han and Chewie's overall story, so it's not much of a problem.
    To be honest I'm happy to hear that Labyrinth is a good and quick read because I'm a slow reader too. I've been wanting to read this one for a while now, I've heard nothing but good things about it. Fans of SW have told me that "Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter" and "Labyrinth of Evil" are the two best PT books. I would also like to read the "Republic Commando" series.

Shadow Hunter is good too. It's also a little fast, but not as fast as Labyrinth. Seeing as I've not read all of the Prequel Trilogy novels (I've read the novelizations, Shadow Hunter, Labyrinth, Outbound Flight, which is my personal favorite PT book, and most of Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader), I don't know if I'd call those two the best. The Republic Commando novels are great, though. I've not read all of each book, but I've read quite a bit of all five (Hard Target, Triple Zero, True Colors, Order 66 and Imperial Commando 501st). Hard Target and True Colors seem to be the two best, with Order 66 and 501st coming next and Triple Zero just being kind of awful.
    I've read "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" and it wasn't bad but it was a disapointment. I thought it was going to be ALL about Vader but it seemed to be more about the Jedi he was hunting. It is an easy read.
    I've read "Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader" and it wasn't bad but it was a disapointment. I thought it was going to be ALL about Vader but it seemed to be more about the Jedi he was hunting. It is an easy read.

At first, I had a problem with that, too, but then I learned that James Luceno didn't have a title when he turned in the manuscript, and that Lucasbooks were the ones who named it. When you know that, the discrepancy between the title and the contents makes sense.