Take Bond Away from Activision

Comments

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    I feel like Activision don't treat the Bond licence with respect. They rely too heavily on their own core I.P's, like Call of Duty, World of Warcraft and Skylanders. Activision has loads of good development studios (Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games, Neversoft, Raven, etc) who could make, given the correct amount of time and creative freedom, a great Bond game. Acitivision views Bond as a highly priced AAA game with little or no prospect of being profitable. There's a reason their Bond games aren't bought. Poor quality and lack of advertising.

I say give the Bond franchise to Ubisoft (if they would take it). Their past record on Movie games is pretty strong, and given the quality of their output, especially in the last 5 years, it would be a really good game.

A third person Bond adventure in the same vein as Assassins Creed would be phenominal.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I agree, Ubisoft would be the best choice, and it's something I could actually see happening. I can't see Rockstar or the people who made Metal Gear making one, they're too famous.
    Mallory wrote:
    I feel like Activision don't treat the Bond licence with respect.

They just see it as a way of making a little bit more money and the games have basically no effort put in. And since the games don't sell well thanks to the crap advertising, the budgets get lower, we get worse games, etc.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    @thelivingroyale

Agreed. It's a vicious circle. You need to spend money to make money...

Ubisoft is feasable. Rockstar isn't. They very rarely do licence tie-ins (see The Warriors) and when they do they want complete creative control, something EON would never give them.
    I find it amazing how Activison treats the Bond games the way they do considering the amount of money they supposedly payed for the rights
    I found myself missing some bond gaming today. Sadly I took a look at Goldeney Reloaded sitting in my gamerack and just couldn't pop it in my XBOX :( We need a good Bond game and soon!! I miss playing as Bond and shooting up fellow gamers online. Can't bring myself to play the garbage Activision has supplied us with.
  • AliAli
    mdo007 wrote:
    Crytek? The people who make Crysis? You want the next Bond game to melt PCs?!

I thought everyone around here was against cloaking shields after DAD? Crytek would have Bond leaping over buildings and becoming bullet proof at the touch of a button!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

They just see it as a way of making a little bit more money and the games have basically no effort put in. And since the games don't sell well thanks to the crap advertising, the budgets get lower, we get worse games, etc.

Except they can't be making any money. If people who visit this site won't buy it then what chance the casual gamer with Asassins Creed 3, Farcry 3 and Hitman all vying for their cash?

I honestly can't believe they shifted enough units to pay half the people who worked on it. Probably made them all redundant because they couldn't pay them.

From a business point of view it's totally nonsensical.
    well 10 hours later and finished it !! disapointed is not a strong enough word to use. I so wanted it to have a wonderful ending. Stupid idea to cut the link and download skyfall.
    Please if anyone on this site has any power, can we please have a decent Bond game by 2014
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    http://www.neogamr.net/news/james-bond-activision-games-removed-from-steam

Is this the First sign of Activison that are trying to get rid of their rights of Bond? Let's hope so!
  • AliAli
    Same report on C&VG:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/385029/activision-pulls-bond-games-from-steam/

Are Activision dropping it, or are Sony Pictures taking it away?
  • Maybe EON (or sony, whoever) finally woke up and realised that they actually have the potential to make some money off the videogame licence, but only if Activision stop churning out such a crap product.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Maybe EON (or sony, whoever) finally woke up and realised that they actually have the potential to make some money off the videogame licence, but only if Activision stop churning out such a crap product.

Exactly! The best alternative would be Ubisoft to carry on and do something with Bond. Imagine a Assasins Creed sort of Bond game. That game would be purchased direct.
    Well if it is true that Activision is losing/lost/backed out of their Bond contract, then that is the first bit of good news regarding Bond video games in a very long time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If Ubisoft get the license I will be happy. If their Bond game/s would look anything (technically, mechanically, tactically) like this Splinter Cell Blacklist title coming out, I would be pleased.

It would be great to have a Bond game like this where stealth is an option at all times, with a great story full of awesome characters and exotic locations to stage intense action.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, buffering that video to see it for the first time. I still don't think I've seen the whole thing. I just want a great Bond game; is that too much to ask?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, buffering that video to see it for the first time. I still don't think I've seen the whole thing. I just want a great Bond game; is that too much to ask?

The video has a lot of what you have seen in the demos, but also some new stuff I have never seen before at the end. It basically continues on from the point where the other demos end.
    The game looks okay. Nowhere near worth a $60 purchase, sadly. My only surefire purchase for the former half of this year in terms of AAA title gaming is 'Grand Theft Auto V.' I'm getting the 'Hitman HD Trilogy,' and unless I unknowingly cave, that's it. I have a massive backlog of games as it is.
    There isn't much I am looking to buy either, though I never do. I get what interests me, which usually isn't much. And I have such a great catalogue of past purchases that I still play, and they keep me busy in between buys. As for GTA 5, I hope silencers are introduced to the weapons in the game. The missions would be so much cooler if you could attack stealthily.
    There isn't much I am looking to buy either, though I never do. I get what interests me, which usually isn't much. And I have such a great catalogue of past purchases that I still play, and they keep me busy in between buys. As for GTA 5, I hope silencers are introduced to the weapons in the game. The missions would be so much cooler if you could attack stealthily.

I'm sure they will; you can see one attached to an AK-47 in the first trailer.

• edited January 2013 Posts: 612
    It's official, Activision no longer has the Bond license.

My bet - Sony is going to make it exclusive to PlayStation. Especially after the success of Skyfall.
  • Maybe EON do read this site?

"Time to get rid of Purvis and Wade" a few months later and they're gone.

"Take Bond away from Activision" and now it looks like they have done.

It probably had nothing to do with us but I like to think our complaining about Legends and Activision inspired EON to take the licence away.
  • Maybe EON do read this site?

It probably had nothing to do with us but I like to think our complaining about Legends and Activision inspired EON to take the licence away.

I wouldn't be surprised of someone at EON is visiting the site from time to time. Probably not Babs though. But you never know. ^_^
    Maybe EON do read this site?

Haha...no, likely not. P&W and Activision are/were in the same situation. They had some good runs (I am being generous to Activision here), but also a lot of REALLY bad misses. It was only a matter of time before EON wanted some freshness injected in both Bond scripts and games. Plus, who knows how much Haggis and Logan saved the scripts. P&W could have written another script like the second half of DAD, yet if Haggis and Logan managed to step in and save it we are none the wiser.
    Haha...maybe one of us is actually Daniel Craig? :D
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I think Aliens: Colonial Marine could be good. That, Omerta, and GTA 5 are all I want this year.

A buddy just picked up GoldenEye Reloaded for me for Christmas (we all sat around playing it till 4 or 5AM). It brought back memoried of the original. I liked it.
  • Whoever gets the license next, Please make it a sandbox game! And let me be Truman-Lodge in Multiplayer!
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Creasy47 wrote:

Barbaras nipples would have liked that ;))
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited January 2013 Posts: 2,635
    MrBond wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Barbaras nipples would have liked that ;))

Hahaha. Is she here? :P
  • mdo007mdo007 Katy, Texas
    It's official, Activision no longer has the Bond license.

My bet - Sony is going to make it exclusive to PlayStation. Especially after the success of Skyfall.

Not going to happen. EON wouldn't allow Bond to be PS exclusive. Also I don't want to EON to stir up hate from the 360 fans and Nintendo fans. I would prefer Bond to be on all console then one console.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    mdo007 wrote:
    Not going to happen. EON wouldn't allow Bond to be PS exclusive. Also I don't want to EON to stir up hate from the 360 fans and Nintendo fans. I would prefer Bond to be on all console then one console.

Don't forget that half the rights are MGM's. If they have a sweet deal with Sony, having a solid PS3/4 exclusive that's well marketed would make a lot more $$$ than a cross platform flop like Blood Stone or Legends.