Take Bond Away from Activision

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    They are not so well known to make a Bond game.

Maybe that's what we need. We expected certain levels of quality from EA and Activision because they were well-known. Volition would only have the pressure of making a Bond game, not the pressure of outdoing their previous releases.
  • Seriously, activision has destroyed the bond series. None of their games actually feel like bond games anymore. QOS was a cod-clone with a tacked on 3rd person perspective with horrible sound effects (some weapons were just plain annoying to listen to), blood stone was okay but nothing special. the only thing it had going for it was the plot that kept on going even though you thought it was going to end.

What happened to all the gadgets? What happened to Q? Bond is about being a spy and using his secret items. What items did blood stone have or even QOS? A cell phone. That's it. EA actually had inspiration in their bond games. Take the Q spider for example from everything or nothing (by far the best GAME i've ever played), the grapple hook in nightfire, the laser watch, the PDA, all these things add up to making the game actually feel like you're in bond's shoes.

The only thing lacking in EA's games was the fact that they didn't produce enough PC games. Nightfire was their only PC-produced bond game
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Well, I don't know about the games not "feeling" like Bond games. Granted, I do believe that QoS and GE are pretty much COD clones, but with Daniel Craig's voice there, I do feel like I'm playing as Bond. And Blood Stone had the best plot in the series.

Now, gadgets and Q I understand. Activision's trying to keep their Bond games in the style of Daniel Craig's Bond films, and Bond's PDA (QoS) and smart phone (GE & Blood Stone) are easily representative of this. Since EA was working the Brosnan era (which had more gadgets than was necessary), they made games with a lot of gadgets. But gadgets alone do not a spy make.

Also, Activision's only had the license for three or four years. Give them time to grow into the role. EA had the license for almost ten years. Activision is putting good studios on the series (Treyarch, Eurocom, Bizarre Creations, maybe Raven), and I'm certain that after their current successes (and they all have been critical successes in one way or another, though Blood Stone was more a mixed success), they'll do even better with the next few games. Look back at Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough and 007 Racing, all on the PS1 (the N64 TWINE was okay), and you'll see that EA wasn't so good with their first three releases. Only Rare got it right on their first try.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Moved to Gaming
    Wait, it wasn't before?
  • bondbat007 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    I am curious to see how the 2 games fair.

I'm interested to see when they release the 2nd game. The Skyfall game will no doubt be released with the film (so it's holiday time again meaning poor sales). If they were smart they would release the other game at another time during the year

Does that mean they'd mess up the story line, like in QoS (Game)? Call me crazy, but I want a game that follows the film very, very closely.

I'm not even going to buy the skyfall game, especially if there is an original bond game coming out that year. If I've seen the film, I'll have no intrest in the story and so I won't care about the game. I'll buy the original game, but unless the skyfall game gets really good reviews then im not going to bother
  • Well, I don't know about the games not "feeling" like Bond games. Granted, I do believe that QoS and GE are pretty much COD clones, but with Daniel Craig's voice there, I do feel like I'm playing as Bond. And Blood Stone had the best plot in the series.

Now, gadgets and Q I understand. Activision's trying to keep their Bond games in the style of Daniel Craig's Bond films, and Bond's PDA (QoS) and smart phone (GE & Blood Stone) are easily representative of this. Since EA was working the Brosnan era (which had more gadgets than was necessary), they made games with a lot of gadgets. But gadgets alone do not a spy make.

Also, Activision's only had the license for three or four years. Give them time to grow into the role. EA had the license for almost ten years. Activision is putting good studios on the series (Treyarch, Eurocom, Bizarre Creations, maybe Raven), and I'm certain that after their current successes (and they all have been critical successes in one way or another, though Blood Stone was more a mixed success), they'll do even better with the next few games. Look back at Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough and 007 Racing, all on the PS1 (the N64 TWINE was okay), and you'll see that EA wasn't so good with their first three releases. Only Rare got it right on their first try.

but it didn't take them ten years to get a good game (agent underfire was good, nightfire was/is the greatest game ever along with assasins creed revelations). Tommorow never dies game was alot better than QOS game, and you've already said that TWINE on N64 was good. I'll give activision more time but it looks like all they can make is cod games

No, I wasn't saying that. What I was saying was that EA had the time we're not giving Activision. Basically, how I see it, is that we're expecting Activision to pick up exactly where EA left off, as far as Bond game quality goes, when we're forgetting that EA really didn't pick up where Rare left off back in '97.

And, Blood Stone is not a COD game. I would like to know how TND was better than QOS, and as good as N64 TWINE was, PS1 TWINE is the exact opposite, and as such, cancel each other out (PS1 TWINE was the "equal, opposite reaction" to N64 TWINE's "action").
    if only rocksteady studios could get the job done! they did a fantastic job with the batman games
    Yeah, but Batman is probably all they're gonna do for the time being.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 12,837
    No, I wasn't saying that. What I was saying was that EA had the time we're not giving Activision. Basically, how I see it, is that we're expecting Activision to pick up exactly where EA left off, as far as Bond game quality goes, when we're forgetting that EA really didn't pick up where Rare left off back in '97.

And, Blood Stone is not a COD game. I would like to know how TND was better than QOS, and as good as N64 TWINE was, PS1 TWINE is the exact opposite, and as such, cancel each other out (PS1 TWINE was the "equal, opposite reaction" to N64 TWINE's "action").

bloodstone wasn't a cod game but wasn't bloodstone developed by a different studio than the other games??? or maybe I have that wrong. TND mixed cool 3rd person gameplay with ski sequences and driving missions, plus there were parts where you could have first person. Quantum of solace was basically call of duty. TWINE was bad on ps1, but it was good on N64 so thats about 50/50 yeah. Then EA got back on track with agent underfire (good), and nightfire (awesome).

I'll give activision a chance as the next game could be good like agent underfire was, but EA were doing better than they were right now.
    The only COD studio to make a Bond game was Treyarch. The other two studios that made Bond games for Activision were Eurocom (previously N64 TWINE and NightFire) and Bizarre Creations (Project Gotham series and The Club)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    FRWL was one of the worst game ever made. They turned the 1963 cold war spy thriller into a game with wall-to-wall action that seemed based on a Jason Statham film instead of a 1960's Connery outing. EA completly ruined the spirit of the film.
    Bloodstone is the only good game Activision made. (Well haven't played GE:RL) but tragically BS wasn't brought by anyone.
    FRWL was one of the worst game ever made. They turned the 1963 cold war spy thriller into a game with wall-to-wall action that seemed based on a Jason Statham film instead of a 1960's Connery outing. EA completly ruined the spirit of the film.

Although I think the game itself was pretty fun and it was great to hear Connery as Bond again (no matter how bad/weird it sounded) I agree it was a poor choice to adapt FRWL as a game. A TB game or a YOLT game would of been better with the amount of content in the film that could of been put in the game. Now of course game devolopers would of had to put more in there to make more than a 3 hour game but FRWL was a poor choice
    Virage wrote:
    Bloodstone is the only good game Activision made. (Well haven't played GE:RL) but tragically BS wasn't brought by anyone.

I bought it (I think that's what you meant). I loved it. Also, give GoldenEye a shot (either Reloaded or the original Wii release), it's good, too.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    Although I think the game itself was pretty fun and it was great to hear Connery as Bond again (no matter how bad/weird it sounded) I agree it was a poor choice to adapt FRWL as a game. A TB game or a YOLT game would of been better with the amount of content in the film that could of been put in the game. Now of course game devolopers would of had to put more in there to make more than a 3 hour game but FRWL was a poor choice

I don't know about a "poor choice". They wanted to recreate a 60's Bond film, and they just so happened to choose this one. All in all, it was good. Except for a few things (the ending is a big example), the changes made the game a little better (especially that assault on Station T).
    Virage wrote:

I bought it (I think that's what you meant). I loved it. Also, give GoldenEye a shot (either Reloaded or the original Wii release), it's good, too.

I want it for Christmas. But alas most of the NZ copy's are on board a stricken cargo ship. :(
    What platforms do you play the current gen games on? I'm a PS3 guy.

Also, what do you think about Bond games on handhelds? As great as the Vita looks, and as much as the 3DS annoyingly exists, I think Bond games belong on the big screen. I think they should stay true to home consoles, and PC. N'est-que pas?

Also, what do you think about Bond games on handhelds? As great as the Vita looks, and as much as the 3DS annoyingly exists, I think Bond games belong on the big screen. I think they should stay true to home consoles, and PC. N'est-que pas?

QOS= PS3,PS2,360,PC,wii & DS
    BS= PS3,360 & PC
    GE= wii, DS
    GERL= PS3,360

The only bond game ever for the PSP was EA's From Russia With Love

• From Russia with Love is a damn good game. EA should have never lost the license.
  • From Russia With Love is good.
    Everything Or Nothing is good.
    BloodStone is good.

GoldenEye Reloaded bored the life out of me
  • Activision lacks variety in their games. Would it kill them to add a driving level in QoS or GE? They also need to stop using COD as a basis for their games.

...and learn what a gunbarrel sequence is!!!

SO true!!
    Seriously, activision has destroyed the bond series. None of their games actually feel like bond games anymore. QOS was a cod-clone with a tacked on 3rd person perspective with horrible sound effects (some weapons were just plain annoying to listen to), blood stone was okay but nothing special. the only thing it had going for it was the plot that kept on going even though you thought it was going to end.

What happened to all the gadgets? What happened to Q? Bond is about being a spy and using his secret items. What items did blood stone have or even QOS? A cell phone. That's it. EA actually had inspiration in their bond games. Take the Q spider for example from everything or nothing (by far the best GAME i've ever played), the grapple hook in nightfire, the laser watch, the PDA, all these things add up to making the game actually feel like you're in bond's shoes.

quote]

i agree completely, unfourtunately due to the "reboot" (thanks Barbara for that!!!-sarcasm) and that all the bond films are now Jason Bourne films and the fact that Activison are complete moneywh%&es and have recycled Call of Duty and its engine so many times to the point where it is ruining First Person Shooter games makes this a marriage from hell.

I played QoS on my friend's PS3, and I own the PS2 (superior) version. I own Blood Stone on the 360. I have GoldenEye for the Wii (probably not gonna buy Reloaded). Once another game comes out, I'll probably buy it on the 360 (I hope its that game from Raven).
    Activision lacks variety in their games. Would it kill them to add a driving level in QoS or GE? They also need to stop using COD as a basis for their games.

I do have to give them credit for finding a formula (even if it is COD) that worked and sticking with it. And, we all have to admit, we've had fun on at least one COD.

I was a little disappointed with the lack of driving levels in QoS (granted, there would have only been 2 if any), but Blood Stone made up for that, and at least they didn't take the tank out of GoldenEye. They could have done that and royally screwed that game up.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,690
    From Russia with Love is a damn good game. EA should have never lost the license.

Maybe it is a fun game, but it totally ruined the film. The game seemed to be based on the Jason Statham version of FRWL, instead of the cold-war spy thriller Connery version. But I guess gamers in 2005 needed wall-to-wall action to be entertained, and will fall asleep in stealth missions... FRWL the game was the COD version of a Connery film.

• edited December 2011 Posts: 127
    I think the foundation of Goldeneye Wii and Reloaded is pretty good. The issue I have with Activision is really about letting both of these games hit the shelves with so many bugs, lag, glitches, etc.. and not fixing them on top of that. If it was their precious COD it would of had an update/patch in less than 1 week. As it stands Goldeneye for Wii has yet to have anything addressed and Reloaded has been given little to no attention. The 2 patches that were released on XBOX didn't do much to improve things other than "kind of" fix the Network Error Message. Both these games would have been pretty amazing IMO had they been given proper treatment, the treatment that COD gets.
    The game seemed to be based on the Jason Statham version of FRWL

I defy you to find me a version of From Russia With Love that has Jason Statham in it.

And a good portion of that game was pretty boring. The "action" it did have was slow, and very reliant on standing in one place, pressing the square button to bring up a reticle and shooting the marked spots. The one "stealth" level could easily be beaten by waiting for a guard to turn his back and shoot him in the back of the head.
    After seeing E3, what devs would you want to see working on Bond? I still think Naughtydog would do a brilliant job. The Last of Us looks nothing short of amazing.