Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

1464749515282

Comments

  • Posts: 229
    I don't care if it's Bondmania or not. The only thing that matters it's Skyfall is a huge success and it's about to reach $1billion. Looking forward to the next one. lol
  • RC7 wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute it may not be Bond-mania like it was in the sixties, but if there's one movie-title I've heard be mentioned on party's, in public transport and on the street it's 'Skyfall'. I've never heard the title of a Bond-movie so often mentioned whilst i was no part of the discussion... (oh, and that's since GE, as that was my first 'í'm old enough to follow these things' Bond-movie, i was 15 at the time).

    It's true. If you ask a random person what the movie of the year is, you either hear 'The Avengers', 'Skyfall' or 'The Hobbit'. And when you ask people what movie they liked more, 'Skyfall' or 'The Dark Knight Rises', most people choose 'Skyfall'.

    2012 is off course never a copy of that famous film year 1965/1966. But given the circumstances of today -3D, IMAX, lots of competition, illegal downloads, globalization, China, possesion of home cinema sets, DVD's, BluRay's- I'd say 'Skyfall' is having its own Bond mania moment that is unique in its own way.

    It's certainly hugely successful film but it is not Bond mania by any stretch. I don't see kids clamouring to get their hands on a DB5 or a model of Dan. I wish it was like those glory days but it's not. There will be quite a few Bats and Tumblers under the tree this year but the Bond merchandise ain't what it used to be.

    If you say that, you do it again! Comparing 'Skyfall' with the 1960's. I specifically said times have changed and considering these changed circumstances you could say we were facing a unique Bond mania, that is not comparable to the Thunderball-mania. By the way....what IS mania. The word is commonly used to describe an individual's psychological situation and not those of large groups. So by saying that the Thunderball-mania wasn't a mania in its strictest sence either.

  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote:
    @Suivez_ce_parachute it may not be Bond-mania like it was in the sixties, but if there's one movie-title I've heard be mentioned on party's, in public transport and on the street it's 'Skyfall'. I've never heard the title of a Bond-movie so often mentioned whilst i was no part of the discussion... (oh, and that's since GE, as that was my first 'í'm old enough to follow these things' Bond-movie, i was 15 at the time).

    It's true. If you ask a random person what the movie of the year is, you either hear 'The Avengers', 'Skyfall' or 'The Hobbit'. And when you ask people what movie they liked more, 'Skyfall' or 'The Dark Knight Rises', most people choose 'Skyfall'.

    2012 is off course never a copy of that famous film year 1965/1966. But given the circumstances of today -3D, IMAX, lots of competition, illegal downloads, globalization, China, possesion of home cinema sets, DVD's, BluRay's- I'd say 'Skyfall' is having its own Bond mania moment that is unique in its own way.

    It's certainly hugely successful film but it is not Bond mania by any stretch. I don't see kids clamouring to get their hands on a DB5 or a model of Dan. I wish it was like those glory days but it's not. There will be quite a few Bats and Tumblers under the tree this year but the Bond merchandise ain't what it used to be.

    If you say that, you do it again! Comparing 'Skyfall' with the 1960's. I specifically said times have changed and considering these changed circumstances you could say we were facing a unique Bond mania, that is not comparable to the Thunderball-mania. By the way....what IS mania. The word is commonly used to describe an individual's psychological situation and not those of large groups. So by saying that the Thunderball-mania wasn't a mania in its strictest sence either.

    Sorry, I'm comparing it with something like Batman of current times. I'm just saying that it doesn't constitute mania in the sense we use it as Bond fans. Bond-mania is popular terminology used to describe a period between about 1964-67. Skyfall is not a phenomenon, it's just a really successful film. Alice in Wonderland grossed over a billion but that wasn't a phenomenon. Like someone said it doesn't really matter, I'm just stating the fact that in the Bond universe this does not constitute 'mania' in case people are unaware of their Bond history. I'd prefer to say Skyfall seems to have captured the Zeigeist.
  • Posts: 358
    Goldfinger was just a really successful film, Thunderball made Bond a phenomenon.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Posts: 4,043
    Bondmania is too strong a term but the fact this film has grossed the way it has without the enhancement of 3D is incredibly impressive, with the exception of TDK & TDKR I can't think of a film that has achieved this in a number of years.

    Yes billion dollar films aren't the rarity they used to be but SF along with Nolan's films have achieved this without the cosmetic enhancement Avatar, Alice In Wonderland and the Avengers has, the anticipation for Bond 24 will be huge.

  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    I saw Alice in Wonderland fir the first time the other day and fir the life of me, I struggle to see how that movie made over a $billion.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,505
    doubleoego wrote:
    I saw Alice in Wonderland fir the first time the other day and fir the life of me, I struggle to see how that movie made over a $billion.

    Same reason as Avatar: 3D and pretty visuals/special effects.
  • Posts: 229
    $285M in the U.S now.
  • Posts: 1,310
    Funny thing to note is that Skyfall (for now) is the highest grossing film ever not to reach a billion dollars worldwide. B-)

    That will change by the end of its run!
  • $979.3 million now.
  • Well, at least the term 'Bondmania' is reserved for the Dutch Bond fans. Damn, we don't like James Bond.....the whole damn country wants to bed 007 :P:

    8318536743_2d4fea4c78_b.jpg
  • Posts: 2,081
    Damn, we don't like James Bond.....the whole damn country wants to bed 007 :P:

    Well, you Dutch people have excellent taste, then. :D



  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,014
    Kananga wrote:
    Goldfinger was just a really successful film, Thunderball made Bond a phenomenon.
    I'd rather say Goldfinger created the wave that Thunderball surfed on...
    And about mania at a personal level, well we'll see if we hear one day that Daniel Craig made a boy cry because he signed an autograph "Daniel Craig" instead of "James Bond". It happened to the other fellow :)
    Also, remember that neither GF nor TB were "above the rest" success in the US box office for instance (GF was never #1 of the week there, TB was only one week), the Bondmania was really more than just business.
    Tuulia wrote:
    Well, you Dutch people have excellent taste, then. :D
    Well Skyfall is still close to them in this country :

    jardinsecret.jpg

    :)
    And when you ask people what movie they liked more, 'Skyfall' or 'The Dark Knight Rises', most people choose 'Skyfall'.
    Where does that claim comes from ?

    Mod edit: triple post (!) merged into one.
  • Posts: 2,081
    Ok... whoever "them" are... :)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,014
    Tuulia wrote:
    Ok... whoever "them" are... :)

    A movie-spinoff of a TV series that was very popular in the Netherlands, and never broadcast in the US I think (it was on the main French channel though). It was also near The Return of the King mega-success zone in Netherlands !
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,505
    Well, at least the term 'Bondmania' is reserved for the Dutch Bond fans. Damn, we don't like James Bond.....the whole damn country wants to bed 007

    Highest grossing film ever here in the UK. We win :P
  • Posts: 1,548
    Tuulia wrote:
    Well, you Dutch people have excellent taste, then. :D
    Well Skyfall is still close to them in this country :

    jardinsecret.jpg

    :)


    Spot the odd one out!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 35,199
    From Box Office Mojo, SF stands at $979,325,000.

    My girlfriend and I are planning on seeing 'Django Unchained,' 'Jack Reacher,' and SF (this one for the sixth time) in a few days, and when I checked the times, they had one showtime for SF, so it looks like its theater run - at least where I'm from - is about to end.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 115
    It seems the cinemas in Southend and Canvey Island are only showing it once a day now too.
  • Posts: 358
    It seems the cinemas in Southend and Canvey Island are only showing it once a day now too.

    Odeons in London twice a day now.
  • Was curious, does anyone question whether the film will top Thunderball's earnings at this point? And will it reach 1 billion prior to China's release?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,309
    Yes it will reach $1 billion before China and beat Thunderball's takings overall. It can't not at this point, the film has taken too much money.
  • Do you guys think Bond 24 will do even better? I know it's a bit early but I wonder if there are now more Bond fans than there were a few months ago.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,309
    It's in with a chance of course. A figure in the same ball park is likely. Look at Craig's first two films for an idea.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Posts: 2,581
    Has anyone noticed that BoxOfficeMojo didn't record any Skyfall intake on the 24th or the 25th?
  • Tobester95 wrote:
    Do you guys think Bond 24 will do even better? I know it's a bit early but I wonder if there are now more Bond fans than there were a few months ago.

    Not sure about better because it might not get all the raving reviews and everything like this one had.

    It should do really well though, probably around the same if it's good. I could see definetly getting 900 million.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,090
    I expect the remainder of Craig's Bond movies at the very least to make comparable figures to that of SF. This movie had a lot going for it and one of the key factors was the Olympic sketch. Seeing as SF is largely accepted and has gained a new fanbase, I think EoN need to make sure they don't let the success of SF make them become complacent and expect great numbers for Bond 24 just because SF was a success. EoN first and foremost need to make sure they have a great script and create an amazing movie. Secondly, they need to completely revise their marketing strategy. They need to really go viral like they've never done before.
    I'm sorry but in this day and age, a film like Bond making a $billion isn't solely down to how great the movie is; marketing and public awareness were a major driving factor and EoN would be fools to trivialize such a strategy. Bond 24 shouldn't be about audiences wanting to see it, it's a film that should be marketed as a movie we need to see.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,505
    SF had a major advantage with the Olympics that Bond 24 won't have, so they will need to step it up marketing wise.

    I didn't see that many SF posters or adverts where I live (other than the Heineken ad, which was always on TV).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 35,199
    Has anyone noticed that BoxOfficeMojo didn't record any Skyfall intake on the 24th or the 25th?

    Yeah, and I'm not sure why. Most of us have been waiting for the Christmas Eve/Christmas Day numbers to come in, but it has yet to do so. Haven't all the other films received their numbers for those days already?
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,014
    Estimates are 1.35M$ for 25th of Dec, 1.08M$ for 24th.
    Tobester95 wrote:
    Do you guys think Bond 24 will do even better? I know it's a bit early but I wonder if there are now more Bond fans than there were a few months ago.
    I know it's dead boring but.. worldwide exchange rate variations over 2 years may account for +/-20% at "worst/best" IMO. So today's 700 M$ worldwide can become tomorrow 840M$ or 560M$, oops there's a 280M$ change out of the blue; I'll let you judge then how hard it is to discuss when one such factor is unknown and totally unrelated to anything the producers can do. It may be 0% change too !

    For instance with China :
    yuandollar-rate-2005-2012.jpg

    Mod edit: double post merged into one.
Sign In or Register to comment.