Bond films that you love, but most others dislike?

Comments

• edited November 2012 Posts: 12,837
    TWINE. Love it, honestly don't get why it's so unpopular. Fair enough Denise Richards wasn't the best casting choice but she was hot and she did her job as eye candy. From the way some people talk you'd think they wanted a real scientist cast. Renard is a decent villian, Elektra is great, Brosnan is really good as Bond, M being used more was original back then, the PTS is the best of the series imo, I think the theme song is the best Brosnan one and one of the best in the series, I like the story, Robbie Coltrane is back, there's some cool action and it has a nice mix of fun and serious.

YOLT is fun too and I don't think Connery looked bored. I also really like OP but I'm not sure if most others dislike it.
  • It's solid. I think the movie suffers for having Dennis Richards in it, though.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I really enjoy QoS.

Nice, well articulated post. I agree Brady, and you raise some convincing points. I think the Camille-Bond relationship is often overlooked in this film. The empathy, <i>or solace</i> Bond conveys for Camille, is very real, because she is dealing with something he has also faced. The conversation he has with her right before she is to kill the General, is one of the most powerful ones of the movies. The revenge on the General, is the symbol of the pain she felt at the loss of her parents, and now she must face it. QOS continues the theme established in CR, which addresses the inner conflict of the business of killing; beginning with Bond's look in the bathroom scene PTS of CR and ending with his stern look he gives Yusef. There is a nice arc to this theme across both films.

Very good gentlemen, we are many more (enjoying QoS) than meets the eye.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    It's solid. I think the movie suffers for having Dennis Richards in it, though.
    I'm so sorry to here that I did not know she's had the op
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    My pick for this would be Live And Let Die. I really like it, great fun.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    It's solid. I think the movie suffers for having Dennis Richards in it, though.
    I'm so sorry to here that I did not know she's had the op

=))
  • I do not know so much what other people dislike. Do people dislike The man with the golden gun???? I think it is one of the best. Maybe second best with For your eyes only as nr. 1. I love the first five Moore-films. The last two are ok, but Moore was too old here. In fact he was a bit too old already in FYEO, but he did such a brilliant job here that I am glad he did it. Some of the Brosnan films I have not watched for a long time, so I do not remember so well if I liked them or not. I just bought the whole collection, so I am going through them all. I just saw The Living Daylights, which is ok enough, but I am no big fan. Licence to kill is on the bottom of the list, too dark and violent. I am no fan of Daltons Bond.

I see a lot of people who dislike Lazenby. I think On her majestys secret service is among the best Bond movies. I also love Connerys Bond, but I think he is generally popular. The first two films by Craig were BRILLIANT, though Skyfall was a disappointment, due to the weakly developed plot. Goldeneye is the best of Brosnan. It had a plot similar to Skyfall, but the villain was more interesting than the infantile Silva.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sandy wrote:
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I really enjoy QoS.

Nice, well articulated post. I agree Brady, and you raise some convincing points. I think the Camille-Bond relationship is often overlooked in this film. The empathy, <i>or solace</i> Bond conveys for Camille, is very real, because she is dealing with something he has also faced. The conversation he has with her right before she is to kill the General, is one of the most powerful ones of the movies. The revenge on the General, is the symbol of the pain she felt at the loss of her parents, and now she must face it. QOS continues the theme established in CR, which addresses the inner conflict of the business of killing; beginning with Bond's look in the bathroom scene PTS of CR and ending with his stern look he gives Yusef. There is a nice arc to this theme across both films.

Very good gentlemen, we are many more (enjoying QoS) than meets the eye.

You are always welcome here with us:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1117/qos-appreciation-yes-i-said-appreciation/p1
    I actually enjoyed AVTAK. I loved Christopher Walken as Zorin and the film has some great scenes. Decent blend of humor (the police chase thru San Francisco) and Roger though long in the tooth was at his usual high standards.
    AVTAK is not my favorite Bond film but it is heads and shoulders above DAD, MR, DAF
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3,494
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I actually enjoyed AVTAK. I loved Christopher Walken as Zorin and the film has some great scenes. Decent blend of humor (the police chase thru San Francisco) and Roger though long in the tooth was at his usual high standards.

AVTAK is not my favorite Bond film but it is heads and shoulders above DAD, MR, DAF

I wouldn't go quite as far as to say heads and shoulders, but agreed that AVTAK is far more enjoyable than the three you mention, and the Zorin crew are the biggest reason for me.

I'd vote LTK hands down. OHMSS has respect now, but LTK needs a lot more of it than it gets. QOS as well, the weakest of the three but still better than most give it credit for being.
    I just finished seeing more than half the Bond films on 35 MM at MOMA NY, and I have to say that most of Roger Moore's films are very underrated. Moonraker is a classic imho on a lot of levels. It may be marred by the silliness that happens around the cable car scene onward. But the first half of the film is pretty intense and dark. Also, despite CR being a superior Bond film, Moonraker makes far better use of the Venice location. Also, Moonraker boasts one of the best PTS. I really loved the film when I saw it in the theater on it's release, and I collected very single bubblegum card from the film. Moonraker will always have a special place in my heart.

Also, AVTAK is unfairly bashed. Maybe Roger was a bit long in the tooth, but he still gave a great performance to match Walken's. I lived many years in San Francisco, so I love that a big portion of the movie is set there. AVTAK, has one of the best theme songs as well.

TMWTGG is another that I quite like, but seems to dragged through the coals. That film seems the trippiest to me, with the island, and weird circus connection. It has a darker atmosphere for a Moore film, which I like. Which is why I like FYEO so much. They both seem rooted in the same universe to me.

But I love all Bond films (Brosnan included!) so they're all underrated to me.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:

AVTAK is a totally decent Bond movie, but Bond was too old at this stage. I think both Moonraker and Diamonds are forever are better, particularly Moonraker, which after all had Jaws in it ;).
  • For every thing MR does right in the first half, it does 2 things wrong. And Lonsdale is the worst villain ever, okay he has great dialogue but it's totally wasted in his hands and under Gilbert's direction. He might as well have read his lines from a teleprompter.
  • I have no strong feelings either way about the Hugo Drax character. I think he is quite on the average when it comes to the villains. Not among the greatest, but far better than a character like Silva in Skyfall.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Put me down as a QoS and TND fan. Also, OP, but I feel as if that one is one of Moore's more appreciated outings. Even AVTAK on a recent rewatch is not THAT bad.
    Jarrod wrote:
    I just finished seeing more than half the Bond films on 35 MM at MOMA NY, and I have to say that most of Roger Moore's films are very underrated. Moonraker is a classic imho on a lot of levels. It may be marred by the silliness that happens around the cable car scene onward. But the first half of the film is pretty intense and dark. Also, despite CR being a superior Bond film, Moonraker makes far better use of the Venice location. Also, Moonraker boasts one of the best PTS. I really loved the film when I saw it in the theater on it's release, and I collected very single bubblegum card from the film. Moonraker will always have a special place in my heart.

Also, AVTAK is unfairly bashed. Maybe Roger was a bit long in the tooth, but he still gave a great performance to match Walken's. I lived many years in San Francisco, so I love that a big portion of the movie is set there. AVTAK, has one of the best theme songs as well.

TMWTGG is another that I quite like, but seems to dragged through the coals. That film seems the trippiest to me, with the island, and weird circus connection. It has a darker atmosphere for a Moore film, which I like. Which is why I like FYEO so much. They both seem rooted in the same universe to me.

But I love all Bond films (Brosnan included!) so they're all underrated to me.

alright a Moonraker fan!
    TMWTGG is one i definitley love and seems to be regarded as one the worst, AVTAK is also nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be also TND and LTK.
  • TMWTGG is definitely on the top 5 list and Moores second best film after FYEO.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 803
    TMWTGG is one i definitley love and seems to be regarded as one the worst, AVTAK is also nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be also TND and LTK.
    Personally, I find The Man With The Golden Gun to be the most enjoyable and interesting of the Roger Moore Bond films. It's really the only one where I think he came close to playing a man who might actually kill someone, who was something of a threat.

And, of course, it has the wonderful Christopher Lee in it, who could likely just be reading a phone book and I'd still find interesting.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Have to say TND. Always my favourite Brosnan Bond. And I'd put TWINE above GE!
  • Have to say TND. Always my favourite Brosnan Bond. And I'd put TWINE above GE!

I like the movie, but it has moments, like all the Bronsan films, where I found myself thinking that everyone looked like they were trying too hard to be cool. Those moments tended to pull me out of his films; didn't make them unenjoyable, but it did make them harder for me to take seriously (which I personally think is always a weakness in a Bond film).

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I would have to say The World is Not Enough.
    Quantum of Solace and Moonraker. I think they're much better (Bond) films than they've been given credit for.
  • SharkBait wrote:
    Quantum of Solace and Moonraker. I think they're much better (Bond) films than they've been given credit for.
    I agree with you about Quantum. :)

• RC7RC7
    AVTAK - I've been meaning to write a thorough peice on it for some time, but haven't yet got around to it.
  • MR - just love it. Probably only because I really like Jaws.
    I also really like TMWTGG, OHMSS and TWINE.

There's also a movie that others love but I hate.
    TB - most people consider it great, but I think it's really boring. I feel like this film isn't about Bond, but the water. Back then it might have been interesting, but now - not so much...
  • I would've said LTK but I think that's fairly liked on here anyway. I've seen it in lots of top 10s.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    For Your Eyes Only
    Quantum of Solace
    The Dalton Era
    Octopussy and A View to a Kill
    RC7 wrote:
    AVTAK - I've been meaning to write a thorough peice on it for some time, but haven't yet got around to it.

would love to hear about it
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,937
    Interesting to see FYEO here. I thought it was liked by the majority of fans. It has a tight, realistic Cold War story, OTT moments and campness are kept to a minimum. One of Roger's best, it's kind of his FRWL. In fact, for his tenure, I rate it a 1st place tie with TSWLM.