Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

Very sad song in a positive way. The tune stays with you easily remembered.
    All in all a very good song that doesn't try to emulate Shirley Bassey.
  • I can totally see this Skyfall theme being integrated into the score.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    A classic sound from a classic sounding singer. I've worked in radio for years, and we played Duran Duran..but none of the others. They tried for a radio hit with Madonna, and I don't know if it was a hit or not, but it was awful. I still don't forgive A&M for giving KD the shaft on TND- her song was supposed to be at the front, and Crow at the back. Dreadful.
    =bg= wrote:
    A classic sound from a classic sounding singer. I've worked in radio for years, and we played Duran Duran..but none of the others. They tried for a radio hit with Madonna, and I don't know if it was a hit or not, but it was awful. I still don't forgive A&M for giving KD the shaft on TND- her song was supposed to be at the front, and Crow at the back. Dreadful.

So my question for you: Will it be a hit?

=bg= wrote:

• So my question for you: Will it be a hit?

Even if it was awful it'd be a hit because Adele is singing it.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    This made me laugh a bit:

I actually really liked that. Nice voice. It's.. different.

Me too. Alot better than Madonna and Jack Black's songs
    Jack WHITE. Man, some people just don't know their lights and shadows... ;)

I know. Jack Black is considerably larger but not very funny IMO!
    I might just have to invest in a few Adele cds after hearing this. Beautiful song. Hope it's a massive hit.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Jack Black....

Tenacious D for Bond 24? ;)
  • Getafix wrote:
    I like the way it tells a bit of a story, like the old songs.
    When it comes to songwriting she's inspired by the old school artists and country music. All her songs are like that :)
    LeChiffre wrote:
    I might just have to invest in a few Adele cds after hearing this. Beautiful song. Hope it's a massive hit.
    You won't be disappointed :)
    doubleoego wrote:
    I just spoke to someone at the Royal Albert Hall and they "accidentally" let slip that Adele will be performing SF live at the premiere.
    Are you sure? :/
    Sandy wrote:
    Isn't Adele going to be having her baby these days? Brave woman if she plans to sing the song live at the premier just a couple of weeks after giving birth!
    I'm pretty sure if she hasn't had her baby, she won't do it. And it's unknown how far into the pregnancy she is.
    I think, this resumes it pretty well

It's not due to officially land online for another couple of hours, but apparently some international radio stations are already playing Adele's "Skyfall" and, as such, here it is in all its moody glory.

With arguably the best voice in the music business right now, Adele just crushes this. Sure, the orchestra helps and we love the nod to that iconic 007 theme, but this sucker is all Adele and completely old-school Bond. It doesn't try to do anything new or snazzy or hip -- it simply relies on Adele's voice to carry the haunting lyrics to another level.

And speaking of those lyrics, here they are ...

This is the end
    Hold your breath and count to ten
    Feel the earth move and then
    Hear my heart burst again

For this is the end
    I've drowned and dreamed this moment
    So overdue, I owe them
    Swept away, I'm stolen

Let the sky fall, when it crumbles
    We will stand tall
    Or face it all together

We will stand tall
    Or face it all together
    At skyfall

Skyfall is where we start
    A thousand miles and poles apart
    When worlds collide, and days are dark
    You may have my number, you can take my name
    But you'll never have my heart

We will stand tall
    Or face it all together

We will stand tall
    Or face it all together
    At skyfall

Where you go I go
    What you see I see
    I know i'll never be without the security
    Are your loving arms
    Keeping me from harm
    Put your hand in my hand
    And we'll stand

We will stand tall
    Or face it all together

We will stand tall
    Or face it all together
    At skyfall

Let the sky fall
    We will stand tall
    At skyfall
  • sheshookmecoldsheshookmecold An Island
    I'll put my head phones on during the opening credits. I was really hoping for a better artist/band than Adele.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Thanks GL. It sounded more like "dreamt" than dreamed there, but good job now singing along with it!
    She worked the whole name and number thing in there. That GE ad line has a long shelf life. I think it gets a little junked up as it goes on, but the main part is powerful. The shortened version over the credits will be the best version.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 655
    doubleoego wrote:
    . It has parts cut of and the quality isnt the best. Im listening to it at 0.07
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    2:07 and counting...
  • just over two hours to go UK fans.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Thanks @Germanlady. How many times have we wondered if the song would have Skyfall in it and what would rhyme with it but it looks like it works after all! I'm singing along as I write.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    One thing is for sure, in my opinion: If the song starts right after we see Bond falling into the water, with the piano part first, it's just a perfect moody song for this!

Still don't like the production though :-P ;-)
  • VeryBond wrote:
    She worked the whole name and number thing in there. That GE ad line has a long shelf life. I think it gets a little junked up as it goes on, but the main part is powerful. The shortened version over the credits will be the best version.

Let the sky fall, there's already something you like about the new movie ;)

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Muddyw wrote:
    One thing is for sure, in my opinion: If the song starts right after we see Bond falling into the water, it's just a perfect moody song for this!

That's definitely how they'll use it. Just like the Bourne theme at the end of Ultimatum.

I was picturing the scene in my head as I listened to it.

Should be good.
    Classic tune
    Eiragorn wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    OwenDavian wrote:
    I hope the song ends with a long drawn out SKYFALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! :p

It better! The song gets better as it goes along and cuts off at just the wrong time. For it not to end with a drawn out note would be something of a disappointment.

Now, let's go for number one in the UK - for the first time!

Well, I have to say that it's true that the snippet we hear plays it quite safe. It's dramatic for sure and uses the Bond theme to good effect while on the melodic side it is a little thin. But remember this is the first chorus and I believe this song will rise to the intense. And hearing her vocals so restrained in the snippet really makes me happy because her biggest talent is to dose her voice to the most effect. Not a single note to much unlike those Whitney-Houston-soundalikes like the misses Keys or Knowles.

And while this HMV guy seems to have been very very wrong Mr Friedman has truly heard this song. Most of the leaked vocals are in the snippet.

Thats what i was thinking. A final long skyfall would be great.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The one thing I'm not hearing is theme for Newman to use continually through the film. The song doesn't really have a definitive, recognizable theme besides the Bond theme. At least in the radio version.

Newman could definitely use it for a instrumental romance track a la Barry, but I can't see it used in action pieces.

I could definately picture the instrumental chorus being played as Bond is driving through the Scottish countryside..
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    =bg= wrote:

The true definition of a "hit," at least when I was at stations who played music- was how many heavy duty stations played it. The trade mag R&R was crucial.

Adele has crossover appeal to different formats like CHR (top 40,) AC, Hot AC, etc.
    The more formats you can get heavy airplay at with key stations, the better. They used to be called "P1" stations. "Parallel 1." The biggest US markets are all P1..NY, LA, Chicago. I don't know if that's how it is now, but it was back in the day. Ballads are the biggest hits- they're the least likely to be a turn off for women.

Our highest testing song I remember was Chicago's "Hard Habit To Break." I think big songs for us scored in the 70s in research; that one was like 120. EVERY woman loved it. believe me when I tell you Adele skews heavily female, and that is by DESIGN.

You'd be surprised how artists 'test' with stations. Madonna and Michael jackson were the worst for us- terrible. We programmed to 25-54F; and those two were the worst.

Why? their image overrode their musical prowess.

Adele's gonna be a really big record.

• Hi All. Right just listened to it in full and I think it's great. Preordered on iTunes also. Only slight reservation is the uninspired backing singers but go hum. Here's a link to the version being played now in Europe. There's a French radio station intro then the song in full in good quality.

http://youtu.be/gnwWXxhOcXo

Matt
  • Hi All. Right just listened to it in full and I think it's great. Preordered on iTunes also. Only slight reservation is the uninspired backing singers but go hum. Here's a link to the version being played now in Europe. There's a French radio station intro then the song in full in good quality.

http://youtu.be/gnwWXxhOcXo

Matt

AAHHHH stop tempting me! I wanna wait till it premieres on Adele's website lmao I played the song for 2 seconds and went "NO!" and stopped it lol
  • Maybe I'm crazy, but does any one hear any similarities to Crow's TND?
    Maybe I'm crazy, but does any one hear any similarities to Crow's TND?

Someone else said that.
  • Maybe I'm crazy, but does any one hear any similarities to Crow's TND?

No, the only thing they have in common is that they both have slower tempos. Other than that, they both have a somewhat melancholy tone I suppose, but that's about it.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    I'm thinking whoever did might have a good point. Real retro feel, similarities in instrumentation, even the main verse sounds sort of like it.
  • It's the backing singers that have me scratching my head mind. Apparently there's a radio edit which I posted and then a longer instrumental mid section version similar to TLD with the additional synth mid section.