Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• edited October 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Dear fans? Please congratulate me too. In a few hours I am celebrating my 31st birthday. That is actually more important than that Adele song.......
    NOTTT :-P.
  • MrBond wrote:
    Itunes still says the 5th in the U.S. I wouldn't worry, BG.

Oh come on, so we in Europe has to wait? Sure, i can listen on her website. But i would love to take it with me in my phone to!

I tunes UK is still telling me it's available on the 5th...
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 300
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I'm in the UK and it's just gone 9pm, so three hours left.

Ah yes. I see, I feel like a bloody novice now. #:-S
    doubleoego wrote:
    I love it too, brings us back to the Bassey era...
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    I really hope it's the radio that causes the terrible reverb! Great song, but bad production. It lacks warmth. But hey, that's what current times bring...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Isn't Adele going to be having her baby these days? Brave woman if she plans to sing the song live at the premier just a couple of weeks after giving birth!
    The one thing I'm not hearing is theme for Newman to use continually through the film. The song doesn't really have a definitive, recognizable theme besides the Bond theme. At least in the radio version.
    Not long now, haven't listened to it yet, I got the 90 second preview just. Don't know whether to go to my bed and get up early for a few listens or stay up.

• Epworth just tweeted this

Paul Epworth (@paulepworth) tweeted at 9:02pm - 4 Oct 12:

All you eager beavers who think you heard the whole of skyfall? You just got the radio edit.. Gotta wait for 0.07 to hear the full thing....
    doubleoego wrote:

It is huh :-). Told you :-). Adele firmly stands among those other female Bond performers Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon, Nancy Sinatra, Sheena Easton and Tina Turner. This is a mindblowing theme song. This is.....Bond with a capital B.

Moreover, it is not a Monty Norman melody-rip-off. The Bond theme is heard, but in a tender, nuanced way, just like 'Goldfinger' and 'GoldenEye'. The song is warm, Bond-ian and sultry. A mixture of slow-tempo soul that we heard from Dusty Springfield and Nancy Sinatra and American big-band Vegas style like we heard from Doug Ashdown.

I feel like listening to it in a log cabin in the Swiss Alps with a beautiful guy (for you mostly girls), on a big carpet and a huge fireplace. Lots of candles around us....:-).
  • Epworth just tweeted this

All you eager beavers who think you heard the whole of skyfall? You just got the radio edit.. Gotta wait for 0.07 to hear the full thing....

I knew it! ;)
    I think, its gonna be real powerful on the big screen with the credits rolling.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Muddyw wrote:
    I really hope it's the radio that causes the terrible reverb! Great song, but bad production. It lacks warmth. But hey, that's what current times bring...

Very true. Not that impressed by the production or orchestration. Could have been a bit lusher. Wish she'd enunciate properly as well.

But it could be a grower.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Epworth just tweeted this

*craps pants*
    doubleoego wrote:
    Epworth just tweeted this

*craps pants*

Cool.
    doubleoego wrote:

It is huh :-). Told you :-). Adele firmly stands among those other female Bond performers Shirley Bassey, Carly Simon, Nancy Sinatra, Sheena Easton and Tina Turner. This is a mindblowing theme song. This is.....Bond with a capital B.

Moreover, it is not a Monty Norman melody-rip-off. The Bond theme is heard, but in a tender, nuanced way, just like 'Goldfinger' and 'GoldenEye'. The song is warm, Bond-ian and sultry. A mixture of slow-tempo soul that we heard from Dusty Springfield and Nancy Sinatra and American big-band Vegas style like we heard from Doug Ashdown.

I feel like listening to it in a log cabin in the Swiss Alps with a beautiful guy (for you mostly girls), on a big carpet and a huge fireplace. Lots of candles around us....:-).

You did? I don't recall having such a discussion. I never doubted that it would be good, in fact I've been advocating Adele from the start.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Just heard it. Great finish, great orchestration, this version sounds much fuller than the 1:30 snippet. My 12 year old son (and 4th generation fan) says it's one of the best Bond themes he's heard and he really likes it a lot. To me, Adele is not DSB and this isn't on the level of her Bond songs. But it's a strong and classic sounding effort and I'm pleased with it :D

Getafix wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:

Very true. Not that impressed by the production or orchestration. Could have been a bit lusher. Wish she'd enunciate properly as well.

I hope so. But if you listen to Diamonds, for instance, you can clearly hear every part that's played. It's tight, warm, elegant, Bondian... The production is just great for that song. In Skyfall everything sounds everywhere or just lost. That is quite a shame cause the song and Adele are great.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,012
    The more I listen to it the more I like it. Now roll the long, quality version :)

EDIT:
    Muddyw wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:

I hope so. But if you listen to Diamonds, for instance, you can clearly hear every part that's played. It's tight, warm, elegant, Bondian... The production is just great for that song. In Skyfall everything sounds everywhere or just lost. That is quite a shame cause the song and Adele are great.

It's because it was recorded from the radio, if you listen closely you can even hear things moving in the back.
    Getafix wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:

Mate, there's nothing wrong with her enunciation. Maybe your computer or speakers are limited.
  • I swear every time I leave this thread and come back later there's at least 10 new comments.
    Just heard it. Great finish, great orchestration, this version sounds much fuller than the 1:30 snippet. My 12 year old son (nd 4th generation fan) says it's one of the best Bond themes he's heard and he really likes it a lot. To me, Adele is not DSB and this isn't on the level of her Bond songs. But it's a strong and classic sounding effort and I'm pleased with it :D

Glad you like it. I seem to remember you weren't too impressed and had strong reservations about how this song would end up.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Muddyw wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:

The full version may sound fuller and clearer. Wait and see.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    The one thing I'm not hearing is theme for Newman to use continually through the film. The song doesn't really have a definitive, recognizable theme besides the Bond theme. At least in the radio version.

Newman could definitely use it for a instrumental romance track a la Barry, but I can't see it used in action pieces.
  • Sounds like an instant Bond classic and it's great that Craig has a nice Bassey-esque theme to go along with what will hopefully be his stand out Bond film.
    I assume its only available on i-tunes to download, just looked play.com and there's nothing there and its not on amazon either, although there is a cd single but that's not until the 29th.
    Realplayer download is your friend. Download the song for free!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 198
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Muddyw wrote:

The full version may sound fuller and clearer. Wait and see.

I hope so! :-)