Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    chrisisall wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    ARMY OF DARKNESS

qzy8leua6n34.jpg

Nothing hurts me more than seeing a horror series with great potential bury itself in unholy ground within two sequels after its awesome original. It happened to Sam Raimi's EVIL DEAD series. Since EVIL DEAD II was praised for its comedic tone, among other things, why not take the absurdity to extreme levels next time? My answer is, because it doesn't work. And it doesn't. ARMY OF DARKNESS is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had to endure. While this 1992 comedy has its fans, I loathe it. If it weren't for Bruce Campbell, I'd find the film positively unwatchable.

The original offered all I needed to get some wonderful thrills out of a horror cheapy. The series could have stopped there (though I'm very glad it didn't, as we'll discuss next time.) Number three, however, takes us to silly town as Ash is sucked into a spacetime vortex that drops him off in the 1300s. And I can say this: considering the film's small budget, I'm impressed with the sets, simple though they are. But gone are the frightening images, the gore, and the claustrophobia that made the previous two films instant classics. Instead, we get even sillier jokes than before, virtually no scares anymore, and a climax in which the titular army storms a castle while looking like leftovers from JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS. All the while, the film keeps telling me to laugh harder than I ever have, but my arms are folded and I'm sighing in desperation, hoping the film will be over very soon. And then the ending happens, and I'm free at last, and I can return the Bluray disc to the trilogy box, store it, and unpack the Fede Alvarez film, just to remind me that something good is coming my way.

"But you shouldn't treat this one as a horror film! It's a pure comedy," someone once assured me. Thanks but no thanks. Though the film isn't called "Evil Dead", it's still the third chapter in a series that started out strong as a celebration of all things horror. Also, ARMY OF DARKNESS isn't funny in my book. Humour is subjective, I agree, but I never laugh with (or at) this movie. I only experience cringe. And that's me, I know. I'm mostly commenting on my own allergic reaction to films like these; I know this one has its fans. And yet, when Ash proves himself incapable of repeating the line from WHEN THE EARTH STOOD STILL, and he tries to "sneeze" out the password instead, I'm throwing my arms in the air. We went from nasty tree rape in the first EVIL DEAD to Ash messing up his password for access to the Necronomicon. They really goofed things up too much this time, or so I think. I will go on record saying that BEYOND THUNDERDOME was a better sequel to THE ROAD WARRIOR than ARMY OF DARKNESS was to EVIL DEAD 2.

Despite a few good comic book titles, not much has come from this movie. For a long time, it looked like this was it, that we'd be stuck with a very uneven trilogy. Luckily, Fede Alvarez, director of the upcoming ALIEN: ROMULUS, changed all that in 2013. His film washed away the bitter aftertaste that ARMY OF DARKNESS had left me. Gimme some sugar, baby.

2/5

Sorry man, AOD is one of the finest films ever made. Solid 5/5....

I am probably alone in my dismissal of the film, but try as I might, I cannot like it. It's the worst of the five for me.
  • mattjoesmattjoes It's Neil Connery's world, we're just living in it.
    edited May 18 Posts: 6,845
    Richard III (1995)

richardiii3.jpg?w=584

Loads of fun. The last two or three shots of the film are mesmerizing, enigmatic and so rich in meaning. I think that coming in with previous knowledge of the story is convenient in this case, because the film moves quickly from one plot point to another and there are, after all, a lot of characters.
    Using the Criterion Collection’s 4K Disc page for ideas to watch and potentially collect, I’ve been watching many awesome, artsy films lately, including Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), The Piano (1993), and The Trial (1962). Really love these slower, surreal types of movies. Also began a Ghostbusters marathon with my bro, never seen any past the second before so it should be interesting.
  • conradhankersconradhankers Underground
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Richard III (1995)

richardiii3.jpg?w=584

Loads of fun. The last two or three shots of the film are mesmerizing, enigmatic and so rich in meaning. I think that coming in with previous knowledge of the story is convenient in this case, because the film moves quickly from one plot point to another and there are, after all, a lot of characters.

Oh hello, I'll give this a go. Not quite what Edward De Vere had in mind but defo will be watching this. Thanks for th tip.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Using the Criterion Collection’s 4K Disc page for ideas to watch and potentially collect, I’ve been watching many awesome, artsy films lately, including Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975), The Piano (1993), and The Trial (1962). Really love these slower, surreal types of movies. Also began a Ghostbusters marathon with my bro, never seen any past the second before so it should be interesting.

Keep us informed of your feelings about the later films, @FoxRox. I'm interested in reading them. Personally, I like the 2016 one very much. I regret that the gender switch was turned into a political debate, when it's just silly entertainment.

Keep us informed of your feelings about the later films, @FoxRox. I'm interested in reading them. Personally, I like the 2016 one very much. I regret that the gender switch was turned into a political debate, when it's just silly entertainment.

Thanks - and yeah, it really sucks that some people have to make everything about that. The original I still adore, doubt it will be topped. I'll provide a little ranking and explanations when I'm through.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

That's a great way to go about it! I absolutely love Picnic at Hanging Rock so much. If you want another surreal experience from that same director (Peter Weir), you gotta see The Last Wave.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's a great way to go about it! I absolutely love Picnic at Hanging Rock so much. If you want another surreal experience from that same director (Peter Weir), you gotta see The Last Wave.

Thanks! I did as well, I was hypnotized the whole way. The music and acting were impeccable. And I’ve loved all the other Weir films I’ve seen, but need to add that to the list!
    Godzilla Vs. Biollante :

s-l1200.webp

Or, as I call it, Godzilla and The Little Shop of Horror. A very good movie, with a strong plot about the dangers of genetic engineering. The most frightening moment is the scene in the classroom. And Biollante has an incredible design. Too bad it didn't come back, but I guess that would have been difficult, given what happens in the movie.
  • edited May 20 Posts: 1,653
    Violent Naples 4/6 , seen a few out of these , prolly my fav

French Connection 5/6
    FC II , 4/6 , ending just average.....too bad Scheider was busy with a shark film ;)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited May 20 Posts: 6,816
    Call Me by Your Name
    Long overdue, given my love for Italy. Loved the film too.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Call Me by Your Name

One of my favorites this century. Guadagnino is great at capturing this longing, haunting sense of romanticism and sexuality.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Call Me by Your Name

One of my favorites this century. Guadagnino is great at capturing this longing, haunting sense of romanticism and sexuality.

And it sounds like his next film, Queer, will be premiering at Venice. It stars Craig. They say right now it’s clocking close to three hours, but early buzz is it showcases the best role of Craig’s career.

🤞
    edited May 20 Posts: 23,680
    Call Me by Your Name

If you like Luca, you should give CHALLENGERS a chance. I can't promise you will love the film, though. I'm more curious than anything.
    peter wrote: »
    Call Me by Your Name

And it sounds like his next film, Queer, will be premiering at Venice. It stars Craig. They say right now it’s clocking close to three hours, but early buzz is it showcases the best role of Craig’s career.

🤞

I hadn't heard about the film festival buzz just yet but that runtime, starring Craig in what may be his best role yet, and directed by Guadagnino? One of my most anticipated films over the very near future.

@DarthDimi, funny timing because I actually just saw it, really didn't know what to expect with it cause I saw very little footage beforehand, but I had an amazing time with it. I don't see the year wrapping without that one being in my Top 10.
    Call Me by Your Name

🤞

I hadn't heard about the film festival buzz just yet but that runtime, starring Craig in what may be his best role yet, and directed by Guadagnino? One of my most anticipated films over the very near future.

@DarthDimi, funny timing because I actually just saw it, really didn't know what to expect with it cause I saw very little footage beforehand, but I had an amazing time with it. I don't see the year wrapping without that one being in my Top 10.

@Creasy47
    Excellent. I liked the film as well, especially because of the score, camera work and editing. Not sure the ending will please too many people, though.
    Call Me by Your Name

🤞

@Creasy47
    Excellent. I liked the film as well, especially because of the score, camera work and editing. Not sure the ending will please too many people, though.

I truly don't know how they still manage to do it but Reznor & Ross just floor me every damn time they're attached to something. And yes, there's so much fluidity and ingenuity with the camerawork, it's easy to miss in all the drama and heartache unfolding.

I really didn't know what to expect as it built up to that ending, past the dueling nature of 'who will win?', but I'm happy to be in the camp of those who loved it. Those final few shots and reactions put a huge smile on my face.
    Diamonds 4/6 , Shaw/Roundtree stars in this heist film , also some Delta Force actors......directed by Golan who also directed DF
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited May 20 Posts: 23,686
    Pale-Rider-1985.jpg
    Pale Rider 1985, I enjoyed this rewatch it has been some time since I watched this classic western, stunning location and Eastwood is on top form with a great finale. The score creates a bizarre supernatural feel that makes Preacher quite sinister at times. They don't make films like this anymore, Eastwood's screen presence is second to none.
    Pale-Rider-1985.jpg
    Pale Rider 1985, I enjoyed this rewatch it has been some time since I watched this classic western, stunning location and Eastwood is on top form with a great finale. The score creates a bizarre supernatural feel that makes Preacher quite sinister at times. They don't make films like this anymore, Eastwood's screen presence is second to none.

Not my favorite Western of his, but in a sea of greats, it's definitely up there. Bonus points go to Richard Kiel's appearance and those painful axe handle/sledgehammer fights.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Pale-Rider-1985.jpg

Not my favorite Western of his, but in a sea of greats, it's definitely up there. Bonus points go to Richard Kiel's appearance and those painful axe handle/sledgehammer fights.

The film does have the odd moment when it veers into typical 80's action film which takes me out of the film briefly. Pale Rider is not on the level of the Dollars Trilogy or Clints 70's westerns and certainly not Unforgiven. Pale Rider is still a good film, Eastwood sets a very high bar across his movies.
    Pale-Rider-1985.jpg

The film does have the odd moment when it veers into typical 80's action film which takes me out of the film briefly. Pale Rider is not on the level of the Dollars Trilogy or Clints 70's westerns and certainly not Unforgiven. Pale Rider is still a good film, Eastwood sets a very high bar across his movies.

My favorite of his is High Plains Drifter. It's got a heavier aura of darkness that I really dig.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Pale-Rider-1985.jpg

My favorite of his is High Plains Drifter. It's got a heavier aura of darkness that I really dig.

The supernatural nature of High Plains Drifter is more clear cut than Pale Rider; I've gone back and forth as to whether Preacher is a vengeful spirit or had somehow survived the numerous gunshots.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Pale-Rider-1985.jpg

The supernatural nature of High Plains Drifter is more clear cut than Pale Rider; I've gone back and forth as to whether Preacher is a vengeful spirit or had somehow survived the numerous gunshots.

Yeah there's a lot of ways to look at it. It plays with those possibilities so well to the point that you can see it as straight up supernatural or just a hard-edged, straight-up revenge story. I love it.
    edited May 21 Posts: 6,845
    Ishtar (1987)

2Mnj1K.gif

I enjoyed this quite a bit! There are plenty of funny moments, but beyond that, it's the overall vibe of the film, supported by the story, that is funny and giddy. It's just enjoyable to see these two hapless guys, who are just trying to make a living as musicians, involved in this complex geopolitical situation in which everyone tries to kill them at some point or another.

The two leads are so endearing, plus there's my man Grodin spicing things up, along with Jack Weston and Isabelle Adjani. I thought there was a bit of a lull in the marketplace scenes, but the film bounces back when they get to the desert, especially in that incredibly stupid translation scene. Other people have said they wish the film had stayed in New York and dealt with their singing careers, and I agree that they could have gone with that and it probably would've been fun as well. But what they did go with in the end is a lot of fun too.

That's two Elaine May-directed movies down, and two to go:

Watched:
    Mikey and Nicky
    Ishtar

Yet to watch:
    A New Leaf
    The Heartbreak Kid

I can't get enough of Warren Beatty in this scene. Check 1:20 :))

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Ishtar (1987)
    I only watched it once, a long time ago (bought the DVD in 2006 for GBP 3.99), just to see what the bad rap was about. And I remember that I didn't think it was half as atrocious as conventional wisdom made it out to be, probably for the only reason of having been a box office bomb which seems to be unforgivable to some people. I may actually rewatch it at some time.
    edited May 23 Posts: 6,845
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Ishtar (1987)
    I only watched it once, a long time ago (bought the DVD in 2006 for GBP 3.99), just to see what the bad rap was about. And I remember that I didn't think it was half as atrocious as conventional wisdom made it out to be, probably for the only reason of having been a box office bomb which seems to be unforgivable to some people. I may actually rewatch it at some time.
    I know, that box office business appears to have clouded a lot of people's judgment.

Last movie I watched:

Under the Volcano (1984)
    Based on the Malcolm Lowry book

MV5BYWJhN2IwYzgtOGIzMS00Y2Q1LTg0OWQtNzU4ZmQ1ZDU1MDc4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

This movie swallowed all the pain and anguish in the world. It doesn't know exactly where they came from, and as hard as it tries, it can't get rid of them. It can imagine itself leaving them behind, but soon, hate and resentment rear their ugly heads again. It's a drunken stupor so strong that sobriety is the real drunkenness. A half-dream, half-prayer. An unfinished thought in search of closure...
  • edited May 23 Posts: 12,303
    Alright, time for a Ghostbusters ranking with all five films having been watched.

1. Ghostbusters (1984)

Yeah, I know. Literally the most predictable ranking spot you can get on any list ever, but it is what it is. The original Ghostbusters is still a legendary film, boasting one of the absolute funniest, wittiest scripts ever and never letting up the soaring entertainment value. All four of the Ghostbusters are incredibly fun, memorable characters - my personal favorite has always been Egon - but all the side characters are also terrific, my favorite of these being Louis Tully. A healthy blend of action, comedy, romance, and spookiness makes this a truly wonderful crowd pleaser of a movie. I've always loved it, and quite frankly I think it blows every single sequel out of the water.

2. Ghostbusters II (1989)

I like Ghostbusters II. I consider it not great, but still a good film. Though there are some misses in the comedy department, I still laughed a lot myself, and found the chemistry between characters and most of the humor still in great shape. There are some pacing issues, and the negative / positive energy gimmick is a mixed bag that I find kind of cool (the toaster scene is great off the top of my head), but also a bit too broad and hard to understand at times. Janosz Poha is a strong new, entertaining character, and I will say the courtroom sequence is a big highlight and is probably my personal favorite actual "ghostbusting" moment in the series with the Scoleri brothers. While it's not as fresh and consistent as the original, this was still easily my favorite of all the follow-ups, if nothing else than for the fact it was the only one that felt truly cut from the same magical cloth.

3. Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024)

Maybe it's a bit of a hot take to put Frozen Empire (hehe) in third place, but sue me, I found it more interesting than the other two spots that will follow. The film is plenty messy and flawed, but it actually tried some new things I really liked, particularly the characters of Nadeem and Melody, and just having a new main threat after the previous flick. I felt like this movie did a better job with the comedy and action than Afterlife, and just felt more original in general despite still containing several callbacks. Unfortunately, not all the potential is reached, though; I thought so much more could have been explored with Melody, particularly the ramifications and ethics of "human" ghost hunting, and also while it was nice to see Walter Peck again, he was woefully underused. Also, I can't say I connect a lot with many of the main characters, which I'll talk a little more about in the next ranking spot, but the side characters and original cast were very good here. It's a mixed bag, and I'm not sure if I'd be likely to revisit it or the next couple on the list, but I was entertained and had more fun than I expected with it.

4. Ghostbusters: Afterlife (2021)

A lot of people seem to consider this the second best entry in the series after the first movie, but I've got to strongly disagree myself. While I don't outright dislike the new characters, I can't say any of them were particularly likable for me; they're just not as quirky or interesting to me as the ones we get in the first couple films. Trevor felt very underused and underwritten in particular. I do like the uniqueness of this being the one film set out in the country instead of the city, but other than that, not many aspects stand out as particularly original. I was very disappointed with the reused threats of the first film, and the references and fanservice were simply overbearing and distracting in just how much there was here. Like in Frozen Empire, the original Ghostbusters are a delight to see together again. One of my biggest problems is that the film felt quite slow and dull as well. Also, it felt like they took the whole thing too seriously; in my mind, Ghostbusters is first and foremost a comedy, and though there are serious elements in the first couple, this one felt like it was going too much for the oft-used "dark and gritty" direction many revivals of classic franchises have taken. There's still some humor, but I think Frozen Empire did a much better job in that department, along with the action and just adding some newer ideas. For me, unfortunately, Afterlife is simply too safe and bland, though there's still some cool moments and aspects to enjoy, of course. The best comparison is that it is to the Ghostbusters franchise what The Force Awakens is to the Star Wars franchise.

5. Ghostbusters (2016)

Before I go any further, I just want to say up front that my dislike for this movie has nothing to do with politics or setting it in an alternate universe. For me, this one was just painfully, and I mean painfully, unfunny. If Afterlife didn't try enough to be comedic, Ghostbusters 2016 tries WAY too hard. Just about every character was unrelatable and dislikable for me; they are shouty and annoying most of the movie. I thought the cameos from the original cast (here they play new characters, making it make less sense to me and being more distracting than the other newer films), along with several other callbacks, were incredibly forced and not adding much substance to the whole affair. While the main villain (I'll be honest, I've never thought the main baddies were the biggest strength of any of these movies) has obvious meaning and relevance in the type of person he's supposed to be, the character himself is totally uninteresting and unconvincing as a real threat, and still sticks out as the worst main "threat" of the series. I will say a couple positives about the movie: I loved the intro sequence, which felt like a perfect way to open any Ghostbusters movie, and I do think overall the film accomplished a decent balance of similarity and difference to the original.

So there you have it! I'll be honest, I can't call this one of my favorite series or even that close, but I'm still very glad I tried them all out and had more enjoyment than not overall. The first one is really the only great movie in my eyes - I'm sure not an uncommon sentiment - and every sequel shares the same issue of too many references and reliance on what came before, some more than others, though. I have heard that the 2009 video game was meant to essentially be the third movie in the original timeline, and I have some interest in checking that out sometime. I'd also check out any new movies they make to keep up my completion, but I can't say I'd be heartbroken if they stopped churning them out.
    Every year this happens i lose the “films i previously watched”

Anyways on the flight back from Vegas i saw mission impossible dead reckoning part one

The scariest action film of all time i think… i honestly feel horror and action are blending together in a way stronger than the 80’s did….

Which i think means bond 26 will have horror elements

But the movie scared me and i am shocked … if you told me a mission impossible movie would scare me like an exorcist movie or even a jaws film i would say its not possible

Not only did cruise and company succeed but they made me kind of scared too even look at my phone ironic as i am writing the review on it but there are no secrets any more if our devices became self aware “the entity” would win…:

For those who havent seen it but want to sleep at night DO NOT WATCH IT
    It is an unexpectedly unnerving film. I wouldn't say it reaches the point of being scary, but it leans in that direction, for sure, and certainly more so than any previous M:I film. There is an element of anxiety to the omnipresent technological threat, in which there is little to no privacy and our own thoughts can be anticipated and counteracted. It's also unnerving to see the cool-headed Black Widow intimidated by the Entity. They did a great job with the film.

---

My favorite Ghostbusters film is number 2. Admittedly a retreat of the original, but I feel there is even more chemistry and interaction between the cast than in its predecessor. I also love the villain (even if it's just a painting), and the music score.