Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

1858687888991»

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm a Debussy and Ravel person myself. I also dig Rachmaninov. But mostly Debussy.
    I think we need a classic music thread.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited May 12 Posts: 17,906
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I think we need a classic music thread.

I was just thinking that myself. And I agree Mozart is the best.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Nobody beats Beethoven and Bach.
    Looks like if we had a classic music thread, we'd be fighting immediately. 😁 I appreciate Mozart but his music doesn't hold a candle to Debussy's symphonies IMO and yes, I know that's not exactly a popular opinion. 😇
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Looks like if we had a classic music thread, we'd be fighting immediately. 😁 I appreciate Mozart but his music doesn't hold a candle to Debussy's symphonies IMO and yes, I know that's not exactly a popular opinion. 😇

Well, the one is far more lively, the other far more low-key and balanced. For me DeBussy helps to fall asleep, whilst Mozart gives energy. As does, as I said before, Handel (even more so). I also like Dvorak and Bach and Beethoven, they all have their own style. Even Vivaldi I like, even though his music has worn a bit thin after beeing so popular for so long.

The problem is, the music can be performed in so may ways. I adore Handel's Watermusic, but find it done wrong so often, and when it is done wrong, I don't like it much.

Hold on to your thoughts everyone, I'll create a thread on the subject so as not to derail this one.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Nocturnes make me feel like a vampire, sat in candlelit isolation, brooding on distant memories and things long lost. Summat like that, anyhow!
    My car insurance rates with the same company have gone hiking up too far, with them now wanting more than a hundred extra dollars from my already overly expensive last monthly payment figure. I decided enough was enough and to switch, and sure enough with similar coverage I'm now going to be paying significantly less. Though it's financially stressful to have to switch because of paying for two insurances near the same time, and the uncertainties of what rates you'll get and the time + information it takes to transition, my advice from this experience to everyone is to always shop around regarding stuff like car insurance, internet, other monthly payments that keep going up on you. I've seen it before too where you'll get much better deals whenever you start fresh with someone else, and eventually you can jump ship again once the next one becomes outrageous. An unfortunate but necessary thing to save pennies in this rough economy.
    I'm sick. I had a bit of a fever today but still worked because end of month (I work from home), if I'm still sick tomorrow I won't be able to enjoy the local beer festival. I hope it doesn't last very long.
    Hay fever season is upon us! Woke up yesterday with stinging eyes, and twitching nose! Cant even take meds for it nowadays, as everything seems to knock me out!!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Hay fever season is upon us! Woke up yesterday with stinging eyes, and twitching nose! Cant even take meds for it nowadays, as everything seems to knock me out!!

One of the reasons why I dislike summer.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    @Ludovico @Mathis1 Get well guys!

I've suffered from sinus and hay fever my whole life, and a few times it made my eyes puffy and they angled downwards like cats eyes. Really strange if you have to work around others looking like that.
    I seem to have permanent hay fever. As you can see my eyes are affected and they take on a very sinister look.
    My eyes remain in the shadows. Hey, there's a Bond title: EyeShadow
  • peterpeter Toronto
    QBranch wrote: »
    My eyes remain in the shadows. Hey, there's a Bond title: EyeShadow

Or; the Boy George Story (!)
    @peter I was thinking a return of Eva Green with smoky eyes, but your idea is better.
    @peter I was thinking a return of Eva Green with smoky eyes, but your idea is better.

She's dead behind the eyes.
    @Dragonpol I bet she'd win a staring contest against you and your feline friend. Maybe.
    @Dragonpol I bet she'd win a staring contest against you and your feline friend. Maybe.

Yes, she'd be really committed. I don't think we could beat her.

P.S. I have a pet cat in real life who looks similar. I think my avatar must he a painting hidden in my attic...
  • peterpeter Toronto

@QBranch and @Dragonpol , genuine 😂 😂 😂!!

If you look closely even the cat's eyes are wonky! 8-}
    I'm sick too. No hay allergy, just a little cold. But it makes my life a little bit difficult, and I really don't need that right now. Small stuff which, each on its own wouldn't be so bad have started piling up, and that was just the cherry on the cake. Now, I'm on over the counter pills, but if it keeps on, I'll have to go and see my doctor.

Among he little things that are piling up : can't find my cat's favourite litter, and I don't know if she would accept another one (she has started to leave some unwanted gifts, thing she has never done before since I got her) ; lots of problems at work due to some mail that's very difficult to sort mechanically ; and I can't find the latest issues of Doctor Who Magazine, apparently because Smith and Son (ex WHSmith)'s supplier has trouble delievering them (and other newspapers and magazines). It never rains, but it pours, right ? (and yes, to boot, it rains ; let's hope it won't spoil tomorrow's big garage sale).
    Get well soon, gents! This isn't a good time to be ill.
    I’m sure many of you have already heard about Kansas City Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker spouting his prejudice, including calling diversity “tyranny,” calling Pride Month deadly sin, and acting like he knows what’s best for women by encouraging them to stay home. If not, I’ll link the whole video below:

If you care about anyone who isn’t a white, straight, Christian / Catholic male, I’m sure you’ll agree it’s appalling. It’s all too easy to be upset by this. But something else upsets me even more, and that is people like quarterback Patrick Mahomes standing by him by playing the “agree to disagree” card:

https://www.kmbc.com/article/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-harrison-butker-speech/60873706

It’s the most safe, generic answer to give in these types of situation, and it’s doing more harm than many people realize I’m sure. There should never be tolerance for intolerance - simply saying “I disagree but it’s no big deal,” in essence, is what allows bigotry to keep thriving. No one on the team wants to stand up for what’s right and call it out like it is. The longer we keep allowing privileged people to be harmfully influential and share and spread these sentiments without meaningful repercussions, the longer you’ll keep seeing systemic oppression.

Oh, and of course it’s also worth noting while Butker seems to be going completely unpunished for this, Colin Kaepernick was essentially banished from the league when he tried to stand up for civil rights. Don’t believe the NFL when they say they’re all about inclusion. It’s all BS.
    edited June 1 Posts: 17,906
    I've always been of the opinion that politics should be kept out of sport but sadly it does crop up there too. Politics seems to insidiously seep into everything and supporting a particular team is similar to supporting a political party and the bad blood that generates between supporters of opposing teams. Sport has the lofty ambition of uniting people but more often than not it actually causes division.
    I'm still sick, cough, shiver and a bit of a fever. And my son has to learn this song for school:
    edited June 2 Posts: 17,906
    You have my sympathy. It's not exactly the soundtrack for illness, is it? It is the sort of thing they'd teach a kid to sing at school though as it's so happy and upbeat. I remember learning or singing this one at primary school as a youngster:

Dragonpol wrote: »
    You have my sympathy. It's not exactly the soundtrack for illness, is it? It is the sort of thing they'd teach a kid to sing at school though as it's so happy and upbeat. I remember learning or singing this one at primary school as a youngster:

Thanks.

To be honest, it's the song I never liked, irrespective of my condition. I understand they wouldn't ask children to learn Paint It Black (although that would be fun), but I wish they wouldn't go for something that sugary.