What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• edited May 3 Posts: 3,046
    I think my issue with Leitch is that his style, at least in terms of action sequences, is a bit too much like Fukunaga’s, which isn’t my preference for Bond. Something a bit too artificial. I think his films themselves can be a bit hit or miss. I have heard good things about Fall Guy though.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 3 Posts: 1,384
    007HallY wrote: »
    I think my issue with Leitch is that his style, at least in terms of action sequences, is a bit too much like Fukunaga’s, which isn’t my preference for Bond. Something a bit too artificial. I think his films themselves can be a bit hit or miss. I have heard good things about Fall Guy though.

Totally agree about Leitch being Fukunaga 2.0, not what we need.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 3 Posts: 8,159
    People are calling the film the perfect kick off to the summer movie season, especially since it has stars from both last summers hit, barbie and oppenhiemer. There seems to be a mini resurgence of the crowdpleasing "feel good" film, something that's not trying to expand your mind, but a fun couple hours nonetheless.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    David Leitch has good action scenes in his films and as a director he knows how to tell stories. Atomic Blonde, Deadpool 2 and Bullet Train.

I think he could be a good option for Bond 26.

;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Most of Leitch’s movies underperform. Especially his latest efforts.

Fall Guy was estimated to bring in $35- 40 million this weekend, BUTTTTT….Estimates have now dropped to $25 million. On a $140 budget (not including P&A), it’ll be very lucky to break even. And it’s looking to be received coolly in the international markets.

Deadpool 2 barely made what the first one did. I know I saw this with my son. But I don’t remember anything about it.

Hobbs and Shaw. One of the lowest grossers in the FF series. And this had the Rock still at the height of his powers, plus the Stath was his co-star. I’m not a fan of these films and barely got through fifteen minutes of one of them, so I can’t judge on the quality. But this should have also have been a popcorn hit.

Atomic Blonde. A flop. Theron was coming off Fury Road, I think. This I did see and I was disappointed. There were some nicely choreographed stunts, of course, but the film as a whole was messy and a little bit ugly.

Bullet Train… a huge ensemble led by Pitt. It broke even.

There are better choices for James Bond, considering 007 needs to appeal to the international marketplace (the domestic box office for Bond and M:I are usually quite consistent. Bond eats up in the international markets and I think it’s clear Leitch’s films not necessarily do).
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    As always, well put @peter :)>-
  • peterpeter Toronto
    As always, well put @peter :)>-

Thanks @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ …!
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    peter wrote: »

Fall Guy was estimated to bring in $35- 40 million this weekend, BUTTTTT….Estimates have now dropped to $25 million. On a $140 budget (not including P&A), it’ll be very lucky to break even. And it’s looking to be received coolly in the international markets.

Deadpool 2 barely made what the first one did. I know I saw this with my son. But I don’t remember anything about it.

Hobbs and Shaw. One of the lowest grossers in the FF series. And this had the Rock still at the height of his powers, plus the Stath was his co-star. I’m not a fan of these films and barely got through fifteen minutes of one of them, so I can’t judge on the quality. But this should have also have been a popcorn hit.

Atomic Blonde. A flop. Theron was coming off Fury Road, I think. This I did see and I was disappointed. There were some nicely choreographed stunts, of course, but the film as a whole was messy and a little bit ugly.

There are better choices for James Bond, considering 007 needs to appeal to the international marketplace (the domestic box office for Bond and M:I are usually quite consistent. Bond eats up in the international markets and I think it’s clear Leitch’s films not necessarily do).

In other words, you value a director's performance taking box office receipts as a requirement and not his work as such.

It is not always the highest-grossing films that are of the highest quality.

;)
  • peterpeter Toronto

In other words, you value a director's performance taking box office receipts as a requirement and not his work as such.

;)

No, you’ve misinterpreted and misunderstood .

My main point was my closing sentence mate: Bond needs an international flavour as the bulk of EoN’s box office is at the international box office, and Leitch’s film don’t translate well outside of domestic.

Money matters if you want to make another film.

Thanks for posting!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLmjirsyL2l4jwZbXS2-6r7mbNddmeK6652Nz5_3h_8YdXT9-u
    Well they need to find a director soon if they are gonna meet that imaginary 2025
    Since62 wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    They need a Bond before a director, unless they're going with:

George Lazenby
    is
    James Bond 007
    in
    Back From Beyond

Starring
    Barbara Bach as Agent XXX

Martine Beswick as Triple Chance

and
    Jill St. John as M

They need a Bond before a director, but they need a script before a Bond, and they need a Writer before a script. It's a cruel cycle. :-S

Holy moly, the way your logic is going, the title for the next film will be
    Genesis
    ...in which case You Know Who (timely lightning strike ?) gets a writing credit

Phil Collins?

Yeah, good points. Even then I don’t think he’s quite a fit for Bond. Comparing him to Fukunaga again, the latter at least had expirience with more character based films (which the vast majority of experienced Bond directors had/is essential) and was broadly successful at doing them, even though as I said I’m not a fan of his general style for Bond. I dunno, for what Leitch’s films often are trying to be (namely popcorn flicks, some more thoughtful than others - ie Atomic Blonde - but essentially stylised action films) it feels like they should be better.
    According to a new rumour, Villeneuve will direct a smaller movie before making Dune: Messiah. If this is true, then he won't direct Bond 26.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    According to a new rumour, Villeneuve will direct a smaller movie before making Dune: Messiah. If this is true, then he won't direct Bond 26.

Oops...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Thinking positive though, 'smaller' could be interpreted as smaller budget than Dune 2. EON could make a Bond film for less than $190m. We all could. 😅
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Colm Bairéad (Ireland, 1981)

And he can play James Bond him self too ;)

maxresdefault.jpg

001_p.jpg
    This running girl is possible one of last action scenes he direct.

He direct episode The Murder of Patrick O'Halloran from Irish tv series Ceart agus Coir.

And this

;)

My main point was my closing sentence mate: Bond needs an international flavour as the bulk of EoN’s box office is at the international box office, and Leitch’s film don’t translate well outside of domestic.

Thanks for posting!

And James Mangold is a good choice because...

• sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

;)

Thanks for posting!

I think Logan and Le Mans '66 did well internationally, didn't they?
  • peterpeter Toronto

;)

Thanks for posting!

Hey @DEKE_RIVERS , nice try at a troll. I said I don’t know if Mangold was the right fit, but he’d be worth talking to.

Give your head a shake.
  • peterpeter Toronto

;)

Thanks for posting!

Hey @DEKE_RIVERS , nice try at a troll. I said I don’t know if Mangold was the right fit, but he’d be worth talking to.

Give your head a shake.

As for Villeneuve:

“Some are speculating that it might be his recently announced adaptation of Annie Jacobsen‘s nonfiction book “Nuclear War: A Scenario,” but I’m hearing that’s not what Kit was alluding to — the plan for that one has always been to shoot it AFTER “Dune: Messiah.” The screenplay hasn’t even been written yet for ‘Nuclear War.’

Villeneuve recently stated that he has three potential working projects as possibilities for his next film, they are “Cleopatra,” “Rendezvous with Rama,” and a “secret” film that is “time sensitive.” ‘

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

Well, you said a lot of things.

You're right about the box office but I was right too.

;)

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

So is a broken clock is there a point or?
    Risico007 wrote: »

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

What have I done to you?
  • peterpeter Toronto

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

But again, @DEKE_RIVERS , you're trying to twist something to fit a narrative: many weeks ago, someone on here suggested Mangold as a potential director for Bond.

I said that he's of a pedigree that it would be worth chatting with him, although I didn't know if he was a fit for Bond. Those were my words.

So I don't know what I was right about re: box office, and I have no idea what you're claiming you were right about either?

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

But again, @DEKE_RIVERS , you're trying to twist something to fit a narrative: many weeks ago, someone on here suggested Mangold as a potential director for Bond.

I said that he's of a pedigree that it would be worth chatting with him, although I didn't know if he was a fit for Bond. Those were my words.

So I don't know what I was right about re: box office, and I have no idea what you're claiming you were right about either?

You like Mangold and that's fine. Let's leave it that way.
  • peterpeter Toronto

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

You like Mangold and that's fine. Let's leave it that way.

@DEKE_RIVERS , you're twisting a narrative, and you're making assumptions. I like SOME Mangold films, and I really don't like others. So, please, stop putting words in my mouth.

He is a respected craftsman.
    Someone here mentioned him as a possible candidate.
    I said he'd be worth chatting to, but I didn't know if he was a fit for Bond. But there's nothing to lose having a meeting with him to see what his ideas would be.

That's all I said.

It has nothing to do with liking him.

It was just an opinion and I was supporting another poster here by saying that was an interesting call out.

Do you understand? I wasn't trying to be "right" about anything.

And I still don't understand your remark about me being "right" about box office. And no idea, still, what you're claiming to be "right" about?

But I will stress, please stop putting words in my mouth.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm liking Edgar Wright. I watched Soho last year or in 2022 to get an idea of Sam Claflin and Anya Taylor Joy (both who would make fine additions to the Bond universe), but with Wright's style, and seeing all the glitz and glamour and craziness going on, I envisioned him directing a Bond film that has, like a carnival, or vaudeville-style sequence.

Maybe a scene where Bond meets a contact in a theatre but gets his drink spiked, and the fun and games turns into an intoxicated nightmare (cue opportunity for surreal horror themes). I think something like vaudeville would be a good fit for Bond's world, much like circus and voodoo. (Seriously, when I think of vaudeville I think of The Muppets.)

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

What have I done to you?

You pissed off a friend of mine

;)

Thanks for posting!

Give your head a shake.

;)

What have I done to you?

You pissed off a friend of mine

Ok this is about friendship.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I loved Atomic Blonde - a very slick and stylish espionage film with great action. I'd be fine with Leitch, even though I really did not like Bullet Train.