What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

Jalmari Helander should be considered. Sisu is far more compelling that All Quiet On The Western Front.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Jalmari Helander should be considered. Sisu is far more compelling that All Quiet On The Western Front.

I did love 'Sisu', had a literal blast with it! But AQOTWF was also very well directed!
    My choice David Mackenzie seems very busy at the moment with two movies on the go 'Fuze' and 'Relay', the former starring none other than Aaron Taylor Johnson!!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I noticed Mark Mylod hasn't got another film on the go after The Menu (2022). If EON want a less prestige name than Nolan or Villeneuve, but still having some pedigree, perhaps he could be on the radar?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I noticed Mark Mylod hasn't got another film on the go after The Menu (2022). If EON want a less prestige name than Nolan or Villeneuve, but still having some pedigree, perhaps he could be on the radar?

@007HallY & @peter have both suggested him in the past I think, could this actually be something that unites the forum?

@007HallY & @peter have both suggested him in the past I think, could this actually be something that unites the forum?

I liked The Menu, and Mylod's got a solid background in television/has won a number of awards for his recent work. I don't know what he himself would bring to Bond (it's a bit tricky to gauge that at the best of times) but I think he could be a good choice.
    edited April 20 Posts: 8,110
    007HallY wrote: »

I liked The Menu, and Mylod's got a solid background in television/has won a number of awards for his recent work. I don't know what he himself would bring to Bond (it's a bit tricky to gauge that at the best of times) but I think he could be a good choice.

At the very least they should be snappier/sharper, compared to the kind of slow, ponderous mood of SP and NTTD
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    What about Thomas Vinterberg as a future director? He seems like he would direct a very character driven Bond movie, with smart humour.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Could work fine.

8c180f1bf181bec52067d3d1008ba61f4ba6fc73.pnj
    Well they need to find a director soon if they are gonna meet that imaginary 2025 fall release date
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited April 21 Posts: 5,980
    They need a Bond before a director, unless they're going with:

George Lazenby
    is
    James Bond 007
    in
    Back From Beyond

Starring
    Barbara Bach as Agent XXX

Martine Beswick as Triple Chance

and
    Jill St. John as M

My reaction every time someone mentions Mark Mylod as a potential Bond 26 director:
    (replace "pomegranates" with "Mark Mylod")
    echo wrote: »

George Lazenby
    is
    James Bond 007
    in
    Back From Beyond

Starring

and
    Jill St. John as M

They need a Bond before a director, but they need a script before a Bond, and they need a Writer before a script. It's a cruel cycle. :-S
    echo wrote: »

George Lazenby
    is
    James Bond 007
    in
    Back From Beyond

Starring

and
    Jill St. John as M

They need a Bond before a director, but they need a script before a Bond, and they need a Writer before a script. It's a cruel cycle. :-S

Holy moly, the way your logic is going, the title for the next film will be
    Genesis
    ...in which case You Know Who (timely lightning strike ?) gets a writing credit
    Mark Mylod might mean we get Anya Taylor-Joy as the bond girl since they worked together on The Menu.

When we talk about a more playful, snappy tone but keeping a grounded feeling - that seems to suit Marks style very well. Also, just like actors, he's that perfect level of director where he's not a house hold name like Nolan or Villeneuve, which could also be appealing for EON.
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    how young would the actor playing Bond have to be for Anya Taylor-Joy to be the female lead ? Don't see it myself
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    weboffear wrote: »
    how young would the actor playing Bond have to be for Anya Taylor-Joy to be the female lead ? Don't see it myself

Well she was Nicholas Hoult's date in The Menu, so...
  • edited April 23 Posts: 2,943

Well she was Nicholas Hoult's date in The Menu, so...

Taylor-Joy’s young, but not extraordinarily so for a Bond girl at 28. It depends on the specific character, but she could certainly play one I think.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    She will be at least 30 by the time cameras roll.

Younger than Moore in LALD.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

Why are you being weird? She's 28, the next Bond actor will likely be in his 30s? What's wrong with that?
  • weboffearweboffear Scotland
    her age isn't the problem , her looking like an anorexic 12 year old is
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    her age isn't the problem , her looking like an anorexic 12 year old is

I'm sure that comment was unnecessary.
    I think Mark Mylod is a pretty good idea. "The Menu" was very entertaining.
    Sadly David McKenzie will most likely be busy in the coming months. He starts filming a movie with Aaron Taylor-Johnson in June, so I guess this will rule him out.
    edited April 24 Posts: 8,110
    Kojak007 wrote: »
    I think Mark Mylod is a pretty good idea. "The Menu" was very entertaining.
    Sadly David McKenzie will most likely be busy in the coming months. He starts filming a movie with Aaron Taylor-Johnson in June, so I guess this will rule him out.

I think the humour of the bond films needs to be reinvented so it's no longer living in the shadow of what came before. People think toning down the self awareness was a solution, but then you end up with Craigs films which can't embrace any of that old spirit. But what the menu does is prove you can have very ironic, self aware humour without it breaking that dimension of "reality" that Craig has established. Its almost sophisticated silliness, in a way.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Some throw around the word “reinvented “ when it comes to many of the elements of the Bond films. I understand that to a degree but they can’t reinvent to the point of being unrecognizable as Bond.

Top Gun beautifully illustrated the value of remaining true , while adding fresh elements, to what made the source material so popular.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Some throw around the word “reinvented “ when it comes to many of the elements of the Bond films. I understand that to a degree but they can’t reinvent to the point of being unrecognizable as Bond.

Top Gun beautifully illustrated the value of remaining true , while adding fresh elements, to what made the source material so popular.

Agreed, top gun is a great example to follow.
    I do remember back in ‘22 some people claiming that Top Gun Maverick would be the blueprint to Bond 26. I suspect that’s more in the sense that it’s a bit lighter than NTTD was. To be honest, I think after the latest Mission Impossible failed to land and the biggest summer films of ‘23 consisted of a self referential film about a well established toy, and a dark biopic about a flawed scientist any specific ‘formula’ for success is off the table really.

Honestly, I really didn’t get much out of TG:M. Just not my thing, and I find Tom Cruise a bit creepy as an actor. I don’t think it’ll influence the next Bond anymore than the original Top Gun influenced the 80s Bond films.

I’d also say EON seemingly understand the importance of tradition with Bond. They understand their Fleming and seem to keep his work within their films, and they’ve been quite consistent about updating Bond to the times. In that sense if you replace the word ‘reinvention’ with ‘adaptation’ (or whatever more conservative terminology you can think of) in the context of what they say it makes sense.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 24 Posts: 2,932
    Yes, it'll be more of a 'remix' than a reinvention. You can only change so much before it's not Bond any more, so I expect they'll rejig the various elements, ramp some things up, row back on others, etc. Craig's left the series in a really good place, so I agree with those on here who've said they don't expect a radical change first time out.
    I think one way or another, whether it be a return of the broad Roger Moore style humour, or something new like "the menu" and mylods sharp wit, the films will go in a more comedic, zany direction. If die another days surfing sequence was a "jump the shark" moment to show that things had gone too far into a farcical and outlandish direction, then the contrived nature of how Bond dies, and his speech to madeline is a sign that things have gone too far into a melodramatic direction, where sentimentality is driving the stories too much. Instead of emotionality they need to focus on the intrigue of the stories themselves and characters interplay in the moment. I don't feel in the last 2 films we had a clear idea of what the villains plan was, how they would be carried out, and what it would mean.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think one way or another, whether it be a return of the broad Roger Moore style humour, or something new like "the menu" and mylods sharp wit, the films will go in a more comedic, zany direction. If die another days surfing sequence was a "jump the shark" moment to show that things had gone too far into a farcical and outlandish direction, then the contrived nature of how Bond dies, and his speech to madeline is a sign that things have gone too far into a melodramatic direction, where sentimentality is driving the stories too much. Instead of emotionality they need to focus on the intrigue of the stories themselves and characters interplay in the moment. I don't feel in the last 2 films we had a clear idea of what the villains plan was, how they would be carried out, and what it would mean.

I need a translator, and some oil and vinegar…