What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• edited April 24 Posts: 2,954
    Well, Mylod did direct Ali G Indahouse so you never know about the zany humour, haha. It really depends on what kind of film they want to make though, and as I said I don’t think it’s wise to ascribe what we personally want to see from a Bond film onto hypothetical directors. We simply don’t know 100% what they’ll bring until we see the film. Anyway, I’m not sure if the Bond series is keen on going back to slide whistles or Tarzan yells.

But regardless, Mylod can do humour, and especially dark humour. It’s a good quality in this case.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    2023 yes good call out @talos7 still I don't expect that sentiment changed to date.

It goes back to availability and current interest.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7VIjhGg4kTwMTX4yFLmCMxbsxhOjqmzsrJCAJlf_AjI196Uey

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    But it may also depend on a tug o war for control; without compromise, EoN wins and moves on.
    Yes absolutely, to be a fly on the wall for those negotiations.

And what was already discussed with his acquaintance Ms. Broccoli is another side of it. Regardless, he's part of Bond History at this point.

DarthDimi wrote: »
    weboffear wrote: »
    her age isn't the problem , her looking like an anorexic 12 year old is

I'm sure that comment was unnecessary.

Weboffear's alternate comment to communicate the same thing about their own preferences might better have been expressed by quoting a song..."I like BIG BUTTS and I cannot lie !"
    talos7 wrote: »
    Some throw around the word “reinvented “ when it comes to many of the elements of the Bond films. I understand that to a degree but they can’t reinvent to the point of being unrecognizable as Bond.

Top Gun beautifully illustrated the value of remaining true , while adding fresh elements, to what made the source material so popular.

Agreed, top gun is a great example to follow.

I like Top Gun but it had too much fanservice. The movie was good enough to not need that.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Some throw around the word “reinvented “ when it comes to many of the elements of the Bond films. I understand that to a degree but they can’t reinvent to the point of being unrecognizable as Bond.

Top Gun beautifully illustrated the value of remaining true , while adding fresh elements, to what made the source material so popular.

I like Top Gun but it had too much fanservice. The movie was good enough to not need that.

I can see what you mean, I'm just talking about the tone/feeling of the film.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Bentley007 wrote: »

Much like Park Chan-wook, David Leitch was asked a Bond question by an interviewer who was obviously a Bond fan, so it's difficult to know if these guys are genuinely interested or simply being polite. Still nice to hear some Bond related news though, and I think he'd be a decent choice if they wanted to go in a slightly lighter direction. The Wick franchise has had a nice run of good action films, and it's no mean feet to create a new hero that still works sequel after sequel.

Respectfully I don’t agree in the least; it embraced and built upon the original. That in large part was the reason for its success. I don’t understand calling it “ fan service “ ; and if it is, more power to them. There is nothing wrong with knowing appealing to a fan base while also making something appealing to an uninitiated audience. Top Gun did that ; Bond can do that.
    Call me old-fashioned but I'd like to see the new Bond win his own medals

Wow, profound, but to see virtually anything that makes a character that character as fan service is perplexing.

I hope the next incarnation of Bond feels fresh and introduces new elements, but I also want to see it retain the DNA of the original novel and yes, some of the iconic tropes introduced in the films.

Wow, profound, but to see virtually anything that makes a character that character as fan service is perplexing.

I hope the next incarnation of Bond feels fresh and introduces new elements, but I also want to see it retain the DNA of the original novel and yes, some of the iconic tropes introduced in the films.

The charcater is the character. Bond doesn't need to drive the Aston Martin DB5 in every movie.

The charcater is the character. Bond doesn't need to drive the Aston Martin DB5 in every movie.

No, but from martinis to quips, there are countless other things that the fan service sensitive will see as such.
    d876e99dbff90f71f6732aeabb4f6723.jpg
    David Leitch? Pass.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Not a red herring
    David Leitch? Pass.

Who do you think should direct Bond 26 @Colonel_Venus? I don't think you've ever said.
    April is over, according to the guy from youtube we should now officially have the name of a writer or director working on Bond 26. What happens next is anyone's guess, hopefully there's an announcement on James Bond day this autumn.
    Who is ‘the guy from YouTube’ out of curiosity?
    Seems to know what he's talking about.

Around the 2:40 mark he says we should know something by the end of April.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Seems to know what he's talking about.

Around the 2:40 mark he says we should know something by the end of April.

Well it's now May and nothing new is known, so clearly not.
  • edited May 1 Posts: 2,954
    But we haven’t gotten the name of a director/anything like that. So he was wrong. In fairness he does specify it’s him speculating and it could be right or wrong. Can’t say anything else about the guy as I don’t watch him (I’m fine with Bond fans giving their opinions on YT so long as they’re not claiming them as fact or claiming to have ‘inside sources’). He doesn’t know what he’s talking about anymore than people on these forums do. But all the best to him. He’s just giving his opinions as a fan, as we all are, and he was upfront about that.

I mean, I’m sure I’ve made similar predictions on here which have turned out to be spectacularly wrong, so I can relate. No one has a crystal ball, and I’m sure if any of us did we wouldn’t waste it trying to find out when the next bit of Bond news will appear .
    The predictions are out the window, anything can happen now. We'll just have to wait and see. :-?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The predictions are out the window, anything can happen now. We'll just have to wait and see. :-?

I hope you keep your promise about waiting and seeing… 😂 🤞 …
    I hope you remember your theory about Villeneuve being in talks, then we'll see what happens. ;)
    007HallY wrote: »
    But we haven’t gotten the name of a director/anything like that. So he was wrong. In fairness he does specify it’s him speculating and it could be right or wrong. Can’t say anything else about the guy as I don’t watch him (I’m fine with Bond fans giving their opinions on YT so long as they’re not claiming them as fact or claiming to have ‘inside sources’). He doesn’t know what he’s talking about anymore than people on these forums do. But all the best to him. He’s just giving his opinions as a fan, as we all are, and he was upfront about that.

I’m a viewer of his; I like his stuff quite a bit actually. He’s got some wonderful and insightful opinions that I appreciate even if I disagree with some of them! You should check him out sometime, it’s worth a listen too imo!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I hope you remember your theory about Villeneuve being in talks, then we'll see what happens. ;)

Oh @Mendes4Lyfe , you're a bit of a troll, aren't you?

If you actually read my posts, I stated very clearly why I think Villeneuve is the leading candidate to direct B26. And as I said, and other repeated to you, I don't know if this will happen due to scheduling, and, as I cited before, this exact scenario happened after Boyle left B25.

So if you hear, down the road, that he was indeed chatting to EoN about B26, and he couldn't do it, then what? Are you going to buy me an icecream?

Been seeing a lot of praise for David Leitchs Fall Guy over the last few days, even surprised to see famous film curmudgeon Mark Kermode give the film a positive review. Perhaps EON should give Leitch a look over, his rise through the ranks has been astronomical in the past few years, starting out as a humble stuntman himself.