The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited March 1 Posts: 23,553
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I’d like to ask for the community’s opinions on… The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986). I have only seen (and loved) the original and didn’t originally plan on seeing any of the sequels, but lately I’ve seen a lot of praise for the first sequel. I understand it to be super different from the original in going over the top. Anyways, just curious, how do people around here who have seen it feel about it?

I'm probably not voicing the majority opinion, but I, personally, don't like TCM2. It is, indeed, too over-the-top-crazy for me. No scares, just farcical mayhem. Despite some interesting names -- Bill Moseley and Dennis Hopper, to name but a few -- the film is bonkers in every possible way. Granted, this is the only other film made by Hooper. And Hooper and I disagree about the original film: he claims it's a comedy, I see it as the very opposite of that. Well, he was certainly pushing that comedy agenda with the sequel. I'll give it its climax... sort of.

In truth, I very much prefer the next one, TCM 3, starring Ken Foree and Viggo Mortensen. While far from great, that one at least has some slasher vibes that I think are cool.

But I'll be honest, I've only ever really liked three films in the series: the original, and both Platinum Dunes takes on the story. I guess TCM 3 and that recent Netflix one come second. TCM 2, TCM 4, 3D and Leatherface 2017 are just not good in my opinion.
    Have seen TCM 2. and yes, it is very different in tone from the first, a bit cartoonish. and lacks the menace of the original! Though I always have time for Dennis Hopper in anything!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I’d like to ask for the community’s opinions on… The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986). I have only seen (and loved) the original and didn’t originally plan on seeing any of the sequels, but lately I’ve seen a lot of praise for the first sequel. I understand it to be super different from the original in going over the top. Anyways, just curious, how do people around here who have seen it feel about it?

I'm probably not voicing the majority opinion, but I, personally, don't like TCM2. It is, indeed, too over-the-top-crazy for me. No scares, just farcical mayhem. Despite some interesting names -- Bill Moseley and Dennis Hopper, to name but a few -- the film is bonkers in every possible way. Granted, this is the only other film made by Hooper. And Hooper and I disagree about the original film: he claims it's a comedy, I see it as the very opposite of that. Well, he was certainly pushing that comedy agenda with the sequel. I'll give it its climax... sort of.

In truth, I very much prefer the next one, TCM 3, starring Ken Foree and Viggo Mortensen. While far from great, that one at least has some slasher vibes that I think are cool.

But I'll be honest, I've only ever really liked three films in the series: the original, and both Platinum Dunes takes on the story. I guess TCM 3 and that recent Netflix one come second. TCM 2, TCM 4, 3D and Leatherface 2017 are just not good in my opinion.

I was going to give my thoughts, but Dimi summed them up almost perfectly. Though I would break away and place TCM3 along with the original film, the remake, and the prequel to the remake, as the better films.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

It's definitely not for everyone, but it's my favorite of the franchise.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 1 Posts: 5,869
    This actually makes me think, as horror fans, would you say that successful sequels (whether in terms financial, critical or general success amongst fans) is quite rare in the horror genre, especially for those bigger culturally iconic characters? Off the top of my head, I can only think of Scream as a franchise that's managed to avoid the issues that other cinematic horror characters have faced, which makes me its to do with the time in which all these films were made? For example, TCM, FT13, Elm Street and Halloween seemed to go off the rails as the series progressed.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    This actually makes me think, as horror fans, would you say that successful sequels (whether in terms financial, critical or general success amongst fans) is quite rare in the horror genre, especially for those bigger culturally iconic characters? Off the top of my head, I can only think of Scream as a franchise that's managed to avoid the issues that other cinematic horror characters have faced, which makes me its to do with the time in which all these films were made? For example, TCM, FT13, Elm Street and Halloween seemed to go off the rails as the series progressed.

At the same time, though, some hidden gems can be found deep inside a series.

Take F13. I, for one, love parts 4, 6 and the delicious FvJ.

If we're talking Freddy, well then parts 4 and New Nightmare are at least as good as the original, IMO.

The original Halloween is hard to beat, IMO, although I would say that H20, Rob Zombie's first film and the 2018 film really rock too.

Hellraiser has an awesome sequel as well, but only Hellbound (and the recent film.)

Scream 5 is not better than Scream, but I like the film even more than I do Scream, believe it or not.

An easy case is Child's Play. That original cannot a candle to Bride Of Chucky, Curse Of Chucky and Cult of Chucky.

I think The Conjuring 2 is scarier than The Conjuring, that Sleepaway Camp 2 is better than Sleepaway Camp, and The Human Centipede Full Sequence is better than The Human Centipede First Sequence. I can keep going...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited March 1 Posts: 5,869
    Oh for sure, I still love most of these movies. I don't think there's a Friday The 13th film I don't like, I just take that franchise as is and have a lot of fun, and I adore A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge and a few of the Halloween sequels. I just think quality wise there was quite a dip for these iconic horror franchises, which I think is caused by the a lot of the more high concept stuff introduced, like Roy in FT13, Halloween 3, Jamie Lloyd, the more outlandish and fantastical elements to the Elm Street franchise. My personal take that the high concept stuff introduced is all just down to the time period. The 1980s were a time where it seemed like anything was on table, especially with horror.
    Pound for pound, I think A Nightmare on Elm Street is probably the best and most consistent horror franchise with 5+ films, at least that I’ve seen. 1, 2, and 3 are all amazing IMO, and 4 is very good despite leaning into the silliness a bit harder. 5’s a mixed bag, 6 is rocky, and the remake is no good, but then you also get New Nightmare and Freddy vs. Jason which are very entertaining IMO. And thanks for all the opinions on TCM 2 everyone! I will probably at least try it sometime soon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's no real news but Jason Blum is still trying to will a Friday the 13th movie into existence:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3802139/jason-blum-is-still-trying-to-will-a-blumhouse-friday-the-13th-movie-into-existence/
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    It's starting to feel as though it will take more than lightening to resurrect Jason this time.

tumblr_orif5vNvtD1s1v3r1o3_500.gif
    It's starting to feel as though it will take more than lightening to resurrect Jason this time.

Clearly the next installment should be Jason going after all the business execs and petty fools who kept him off the big screen for such a long period of time.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Clearly the next installment should be Jason going after all the business execs and petty fools who kept him off the big screen for such a long period of time.

Throw in the New Line execs that were too gutless to tell Kane Hodder that he was required any further.
    edited March 1 Posts: 40,480
    That's the spirit, now we're cooking. Let's get to writing this, rights issues be damned.

Speaking of fan films, have you lot checked out any of the few recent ones from Friday the 13th and would recommend them? I feel like I've seen a few pop up in the last decade or so but wasn't sure if they were worth the time.
    I did watch TCM 2, and I definitely enjoyed it quite a lot! I think one of the lowkey best scenes actually was Drayton Sawyer accepting his award for his "special" chili; funny to see him out in public so casually and of course everyone unknowingly loving the stuff that's obviously including people in it. Reminds me of Sweeney Todd with how beloved the pies are, with human as the secret ingredient XP

As expected, it's not very scary for the most part, unfortunately, which does make me strongly prefer the original still. But it is very entertaining, with top notch comedy and action and characters that make it all work. The whole set of antagonists is terrific, and I thought Lefty and Stretch made for great protagonists. One of the best aspects too is the scenery; the sets are so cool and everything is so colorful! While I'd definitely give the first a 10/10, I'd still give Part 2 somewhere from a 7 to a 8. It's a little one-note, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I did watch TCM 2, and I definitely enjoyed it quite a lot! I think one of the lowkey best scenes actually was Drayton Sawyer accepting his award for his "special" chili; funny to see him out in public so casually and of course everyone unknowingly loving the stuff that's obviously including people in it. Reminds me of Sweeney Todd with how beloved the pies are, with human a8s the secret ingredient XP

As expected, it's not very scary for the most part, unfortunately, which does make me strongly prefer the original still. But it is very entertaining, with top notch comedy and action and characters that make it all work. The whole set of antagonists is terrific, and I thought Lefty and Stretch made for great protagonists. One of the best aspects too is the scenery; the sets are so cool and everything is so colorful! While I'd definitely give the first a 10/10, I'd still give Part 2 somewhere from a 7 to a 8. It's a little one-note, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun!
    👏👏
    I knew this was going to happen: she's back!

https://deadline.com/2024/03/neve-campbell-scream-7-1235856220/

Is this for real? Williamson directing, and all?

(I wish Jenna was back...)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Is this for real? Williamson directing, and all?

(I wish Jenna was back...)

It's true! Seems like a really fun return to the origins of the series. I love the idea of those two together again in any fashion.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited March 13 Posts: 23,378
    Deleted, realixed it was already posted.

All things considered they are desperate for Neve to return.

Only after two of their leads were dropped/exited and they finally were forced to pony up the dough she rightfully deserved in the first place. Now they need her more than ever.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Only after two of their leads were dropped/exited and they finally were forced to pony up the dough she rightfully deserved in the first place. Now they need her more than ever.

Exactly, put's Neve in a very strong position.

Too right. I hope she wound up getting even more than she was originally asking for.

Too right. I hope she wound up getting even more than she was originally asking for.

I would not be surprised if Neve gets a bumper pay day, her return may even bump up the box office. I am a fan of the Scream movies I own the first 5 though not rushed to buy the 6th film will wait till it is cheap, I don't think 6 has the rewatchability of the others.
    Williamson and Neve returned for Scream 4 and that's the least of the bunch IMO. So I'm not too excited yet. But I want to be. 5 and 6 rekindled my love for the series, so I'm back on that train.
    edited March 14 Posts: 23,378
    I really liked Scream 4 mainly because of the killer and the actors performance,
    Emma Roberts
    was very convincing and totally out there.
    David Chase and Terence Winter teaming up again but for a theatrical release horror flick this time? Count me in!

https://deadline.com/2024/03/the-sopranos-david-chase-terence-winter-set-untitled-horror-film-new-line-chase-to-direct-1235862423/
    Looks like the first teaser for Fede Alvarez's Alien: Romulus will arrive today:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3804976/alien-romulus-did-you-spot-the-hidden-xenomorph-in-fede-alvarezs-teaser-tonight/
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    GJHo1-Uj-WYAAm-Ld0.jpg
    GJHqdyv-W4-AAn-G0-E.jpg
    Oh, very good!