Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    He would have been good casting, but I think he’s too old at this point. Felix should be Bond’s peer, and that’s not how it’ll appear if we see a Bond in 30s bonding with a Leiter in his 50s.

I didn’t even like seeing the age gap between them in LTK.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He would have been good casting, but I think he’s too old at this point. Felix should be Bond’s peer, and that’s not how it’ll appear if we see a Bond in 30s bonding with a Leiter in his 50s.

I didn’t even like seeing the age gap between them in LTK.
    I think he would be great. Felix need not be Bond’s peer; I actually like the Idea of him being somewhat a pseudo mentor, an older agent who has a worldliness that a younger Bond has yet to fully cultivate.The appealing aspect of casting an actor like Mount is that while slightly older, he is still in his prime and would not come off as old, just experienced.
    Finished the most S4 premiere episodes of LOWER DECKS.
    Nice to see our characters get promotions to junior lieutenants. Glad they’ve added T’Lyn to the cast.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Trek: Discovery | Final Season Exclusive Clip (CCXP 2023) | Paramount+
    I just rewatched all of DISCO not too long ago. A wild ride it is, never really settling into what the show is about until S3. I think S4 so far is the strongest effort, mainly because it’s the one time the writers do away with the overdone “villain of the season” and instead focus on the conflict between well meaning people over on how to avert a interstellar disaster.

My only issue with S4 is that it feels like some of the characters don’t have much of a point, like Stamets. I liked his abrasive character a lot more in S1. Now it feels like he’s relegated to giving pep talks to junior officers.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    STD S2 was when the show was ok for me, despite watching every episode I am not the biggest fan of this particular series of Star Trek.

I am die hard in that despite the quality drop I have and will watch every live action series of Star Trek.
    If it’s Trek, I’ll watch it.

Though you say “live action”. You watch LOWER DECKS? It’s IMO the best Trek series of the modern Trek era.

I haven’t seen PRODIGY though, but it’s supposed to arrive on Netflix later this month so I’ll catch it then.
    I own the Star Trek TAS boxset, I have tried to get into Lower Decks a few times the show just does not grab me.
    How far have you gotten?
    How far have you gotten?

A couple of episodes into the first season, I rewatched the first few episodes again.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,025
    I’d say try finishing S1. I think the show gradually got better as it went, and only got better in the following seasons as it found its footing. The early episodes, especially the first, feel very Rick and Morty before that gets sanded off.
    I’d say try finishing S1. I think the show gradually got better as it went, and only got better in the following seasons as it found its footing. The early episodes, especially the first, feel very Rick and Morty before that gets sanded off.

I will look on IMBD and see which are the highly rated episodes in S1 and watch those first.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,025
    Those are typically the back half of every season. Usually towards that point the shows become more serious. In fact, I think it probably has the best appearance of the Breen as being an utterly relentless force.

[edit: not sure why the uploader added subtitles which weren’t originally there]
    This is the first time the modern era of Trek has had a live action Trek series nominated for “Best Drama”. I did just learn that this is also Lower Decks’ second nomination for Best Animated Series after last year’s (losing to HARLEY QUINN).

Not bad.

edited December 2023 Posts: 23,395
    Treated myself to the Star Trek: The Next Generation Bluray 1- 7 season boxset, i had the DVD equivalent and some separate season boxset's on Bluray previously.

I am watching Encounter at Farpoint, i always felt this show got off to a great start, I know the first two seasons are not for everyone though there are some great episodes in there. My 12 year old self was obsessed with this show and never missed a televised episode.

The best version I have seen of this episode prior to this Bluray was fron Paramount +, the sound and picture is much better on Bluray. Paramount + in the UK is not as good in as it is in the US currently.

Edited: The restoration on TNG is quite astonishing, especially this first and early episodes.
    Star Trek III Search for Spock - Stealing the Enterprise 1080p
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,395

Wow.
    If DS9 and Voyager ever get a remaster, I can’t imagine it’ll be as intricate as TNG’s. I’d even settle for them to put the remasters on streaming first and then release it on disc after, like it was done for THE MOTION PICTURE.
    If DS9 and Voyager ever get a remaster, I can’t imagine it’ll be as intricate as TNG’s. I’d even settle for them to put the remasters on streaming first and then release it on disc after, like it was done for THE MOTION PICTURE.

TNG has a lot of advantages over the two show's you mentioned, I have been putting off a DS9 rewatch for years as I have been holding out for a remaster, alas I am not confident it will ever happen now.
    If any of the shows needed a remaster, TNG needed it especially. Go look back at how S1 looked on DVD in its early seasons and it's garbage even by SD standards. DS9 and VOY had the benefit of being produced in the mid to late 90s, so they looked marginally better than TNG did in the first half of its run. When the DS9 HD clips were finally released a few years back, they looked like amazing upgrades, but not as big of a leap as it was for TNG's.

If it happens it'll only happen when it's actually affordable. Producing HD remasters is likely a lot easier in 2024 than it was in 2012, but that's still a lot of money to spend.
    Yeah I watched the TNG restoration documentary's and own the other versions, I had them on VHS originally, also had the majority of DS9 on VHS also until I gave all my video cassettes away.

Wow.

Wow.They really don’t like white straight men on those starship bridges these days! ( Picard and Riker are guests ).

The writers of these modern Trek shows are so infected with the woke mind virus ( See also DISCO and SNW )

Hmmm, I just envisioned a fuse being lit at the beginning of a Mission Impossible. Lol.
    I absolutely love the ‘60s series, one of my top television shows of all time, but I can’t stomach any other incarnation. They consistently bore the hell out of me (and I feel I’ve given them enough chances).
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I absolutely love the ‘60s series, one of my top television shows of all time, but I can’t stomach any other incarnation. They consistently bore the hell out of me (and I feel I’ve given them enough chances).
    I really enjoyed Next Generation and I think Enterprise is criminally underrated.

Picard , season 3 , is outstanding
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited December 2023 Posts: 8,531
    AstonLotus wrote: »

Wow.

Wow.They really don’t like white straight men on those starship bridges these days! ( Picard and Riker are guests ).

The writers of these modern Trek shows are so infected with the woke mind virus ( See also DISCO and SNW )

Clutching pearls again.... This is when the term "snowflake" really makes sense.

And @talos7 , my exact feelings. I loved the original series and TNG, have loads of fun with Enterprise and S3 of Picard kicked butt.

• edited December 2023 Posts: 1,394

Love the original as well.The original Star Trek and its crew are STAR TREK.

Everything else is spun out of that.Although I do enjoy TNG,DS9,VOY, and ENT to a certain extent.

I even have a soft spot for the Kelvinverse movies ( despite the involvement of Alex “ I’m a completely incompetent writer and I hate Star Trek “ Kurtzman “ )

Everything Trek produced since 2017 is just horrific,woke,creatively incompetent garbage.

Picard S3 was the sole exception because it was showrun by Terry Matalas who is actually a talented writer and appears to love Star Trek.It was basically TNG S8 and a nice send off for that crew.

I feel it was a brief resuscitation of a dead franchise though and hav no interest at all in the Seven and her lesbian ex lover spin off it set up at the end.

RIP Star Trek.You had a good run.Maybe someday it will be brought back by someone talented and with a genuine love and understanding what the franchise is about.

Wow.

Wow. THAT is what you get out of watching that clip? You’re so thin skinned about “straight white men” that you get triggered from watching a clip with Seven of Nine in command?

While I’ll say I don’t think Kurtzman understands Trek, but I don’t think you ever understood STAR TREK either.
    peter wrote: »

Wow.

Clutching pearls again.... This is when the term "snowflake" really makes sense.

And @talos7 , my exact feelings. I loved the original series and TNG, have loads of fun with Enterprise and S3 of Picard kicked butt.

Enterprise really hit its stride when Manny Coto became more involved. Sadly, I read that he passed away somewhat recently.

Does that include the movies with the TOS cast?

I rarely come across anyone with this kind of take. I think the closest is meeting someone who loved both TOS and THE MOTION PICTURE, but couldn't care about anything else that came after.

I do remember one message board I used to frequent had a lot of old school Trek fans who were happy about the J.J. Abrams film in 2009, because it was the return of Kirk and Spock. At the same time they'd often dismiss any of the spin-offs as "not really Star Trek", and I ended up making strong defenses for shows like DS9 because I felt it was the strongest incarnation of all the series in terms of writing and characterization.