Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Fassbender is my number one

Maybe he can voice bond in the new game

As for news about the next actor

https://www.koimoi.com/hollywood-news/tom-hiddleston-says-replacing-ultimate-james-bond-daniel-craig-in-the-007-franchise-would-be-terrifying/amp/

The night manager to me say he could be 007 a jokey more roger moore 007 but still he could play james bond 007
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Risico007 wrote: »

https://www.koimoi.com/hollywood-news/tom-hiddleston-says-replacing-ultimate-james-bond-daniel-craig-in-the-007-franchise-would-be-terrifying/amp/

The night manager to me say he could be 007 a jokey more roger moore 007 but still he could play james bond 007

Thankfully he’s got nothing to worry about. 😏
    talos7 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »

Thankfully he’s got nothing to worry about. 😏

Reminds me of when this article came out just before Craig came back.

https://www.nme.com/news/tom-hiddleston-smug-not-tough-enough-007-bond-2033133

Can’t say I disagree…
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited November 2023 Posts: 164
    Hiddle piddle should fiddle off. As if.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Hiddleston got a bit too enthusiastic in public about the idea of playing Bond back in 2016 or so. Ok, he eventually said he wanted the rumours to stop, but he'd probably already shot himself in the foot by that point. The first rule about wanting to play Bond is...
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Venutius wrote: »
    Hiddleston got a bit too enthusiastic in public about the idea of playing Bond back in 2016 or so. Ok, he eventually said he wanted the rumours to stop, but he'd probably already shot himself in the foot by that point. The first rule about wanting to play Bond is...

I agree on this completely mate, but looking back at interviews with Daniel between 2004-05 the Bond question came up a lot and he spoke about it a fair bit, espicially in his GQ interview.

I wonder if acknowledging the rumours hurts your chances or perhaps Daniel was a different case completely?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I’m telling y’all, keep Leo Suter on the radar; he will be in the mix.

7uwB270.jpg
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I wonder if acknowledging the rumours hurts your chances or perhaps Daniel was a different case completely?
    Yes, I think it was different in Dan's case, Jordo - BB apparently told him straight out that 'We want you to do this.' Judging by that, he'd've had to blot his copybook pretty badly or just turn it down flat not to get it. I think what gets prospective candidates blackballed is if they give the impression that they're actively chasing the role - whereas with Dan it looks like EON were actually courting him and he took some persuading.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Elordi has quite the punchable face. In other news, I finally got to see Amazon's 'Fifteen Love', starring Aidan Turner. He was brilliant in it, plays a sociopathic narcissist to a Tee. As with Fassbender I hope he still has a chance.

2d407af927e3317407f0329f79c48769.jpg

b3d51cfc334283483afee18a5699db9d3a60cae8.gif

In a parallel universe, we are several films into this mans era as Bond. Meanwhile in this universe, we have a Bond reality tv/game show.... oh goodie.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 164
    Elordi has quite the punchable face. In other news, I finally got to see Amazon's 'Fifteen Love', starring Aidan Turner. He was brilliant in it, plays a sociopathic narcissist to a Tee. As with Fassbender I hope he still has a chance.

In a parallel universe, we are several films into this mans era as Bond. Meanwhile in this universe, we have a Bond reality tv/game show.... oh goodie.

Hahaha, my fave mod. Never fails to make me smile. Thanks for that. Oh if that could be a reality, if only...

I'm down a couple of whisky 'n cokes... Have a great night all.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 3,146

I agree on this completely mate, but looking back at interviews with Daniel between 2004-05 the Bond question came up a lot and he spoke about it a fair bit, espicially in his GQ interview.

I might be wrong, but from my understanding Craig’s line on the ‘rumours’ (he would have been going through the audition process by this time) was ‘I’d have to give it some serious thought’, ‘it would depend on what they wanted to do’ and ‘it’s my life’. He seemed to acknowledge they were going for something different and that the series would have to be updated. He also seemed to know Broccoli beforehand anyway, at the very least as a mutual acquaintance. I’m sure the producers were aware he was on the fence about playing the part before he was assured the direction of the series was interesting to him.

I think it’d be different if an actor was responding to rumours that didn’t have any weight and were seen to be ‘bigging themselves up’. As it is I think Craig was just being honest about his mindset if he did come out of the auditions victorious. Which is fair enough. As long as he was honest about his opinions to the producers in private/they were consistent. They clearly wanted him anyway.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,553
    @Venutius absolutely mate, she did tell him didn't she.

@007HallY most of them were along them lines mate yeah. I found a quote from Daniel's 2005 GQ interview

"Well, I can't go into details, but I just think they're in a huge sort of transition period. They need to do something, and if I was being honest, I'd love to play him, but I'm just not sure it's possible. The problem is, it's always looking back. It has to because it was brilliant when it started, and it slowly got worse and worse. I think Pierce Brosnan did a fantastic job when he came in, but that was ten years ago. And the world is a much more cynical place now. And spies are f****** nasty c****, and I feel that that's the way they have to go. And I don't know how you do that. I don't know how you make it so you fear for that man's life... Because why worry? It's James Bond! He's Superman, for f**** sake!"

Surprised looking back that EON let him talk so openly about it, credit to Daniel he did bring that energy of is Bond going to survive back to the series.

@talos7 Suter is my top pick as well mate. Sadly I think Turner is too old for what they want next and Suter has got the lot as well as time on his side.
    edited November 2023 Posts: 2,959
    SP came out almost eight years ago - hard to grasp that, really. We could feasibly have had three films with Turner as Bond by this point. And would have had, in another era. Probably.
  • Turner is completely wrong for the role. He looks like and has the aura of a Sicilian mobster.
    Turner...looks like and has the aura of a Sicilian mobster.
    People said the same about Adrian Paul when he was topping polls to replace Brosnan. I don't see it. Oh, wait...

actor-adrian-paul-334235_large.jpg?1640756817

Hahaha, my fave mod. Never fails to make me smile. Thanks for that. Oh if that could be a reality, if only...

I'm down a couple of whisky 'n cokes... Have a great night all.

This, all of this. Any idea how one can travel between realities/parallel universes? ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2023 Posts: 5,869
    I'm sure Aidan would've done a good job but I've always had a hesitancy to those who are quite obvious choices; Aidan Turner, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Henry Cavill. All these actors have played a variation of the character or just someone very similar, which is why we have GIFs like the ones above and even fan trailers that edit clips of the characters they've played that are similar, so overall I can't get that excited about those kinds of choices personally.
    Turner...looks like and has the aura of a Sicilian mobster.
    People said the same about Adrian Paul when he was topping polls to replace Brosnan. I don't see it. Oh, wait...

actor-adrian-paul-334235_large.jpg?1640756817

I just wanted a good highlander film with him that was as good as the show… Endgame was poorly edited and lets not talk about the source
    Turner is completely wrong for the role. He looks like and has the aura of a Sicilian mobster.

You seem like the kind of person who hasn't heard about 'black Irish'. Funny.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I know @buddyoldchap often claims I am trolling (we used to call them "jokes") but I do genuinely like Turner's look and could see him as Bond, I just don't think he'd bring the obvious drive of reinvention Craig came in with, not that he necessarily should need to. Turner has yet to prove himself of Craig's caliber, but I would say Bond is what Craig proved himself with, in the public eye at least (on stage is different).
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I know @buddyoldchap often claims I am trolling (we used to call them "jokes") but I do genuinely like Turner's look and could see him as Bond, I just don't think he'd bring the obvious drive of reinvention Craig came in with, not that he necessarily should need to. Turner has yet to prove himself of Craig's caliber, but I would say Bond is what Craig proved himself with, in the public eye at least (on stage is different).

However, you fail to mention that your observation first needs to pass the filter we call subjectivity. See to me Craig didn't reinvent anything, at least not successfully. Turner would deliver on all the components that are core to being Bond, per Fleming. Sure, some things could be slightly altered to 'get with the times', but only slight and with respect to the man who created him. I was never pleased with Craig, nor with pout mouth or his Russian ruggedness. The blueprint is clear. That's what I want.
    If you put Adrian Paul and Daniel Craig next to each other in 2006, you'd think that Adrian was Bond and Dan was Red Grant. I get that. But, unexpectedly, CraigBond resonated with me more deeply than any of the others -still does. Dan was a great, great Bond. IMO, obvs.
  • edited November 2023 Posts: 2,103
    LucknFate wrote: »

However, you fail to mention that your observation first needs to pass the filter we call subjectivity. See to me Craig didn't reinvent anything, at least not successfully. Turner would deliver on all the components that are core to being Bond, per Fleming. Sure, some things could be slightly altered to 'get with the times', but only slight and with respect to the man who created him. I was never pleased with Craig, nor with pout mouth or his Russian ruggedness. The blueprint is clear. That's what I want.

I like Craig as Bond, but I also think a lot of what Craig gets praised for are all elements that were previously explored by the likes of Lazenby/Dalton, and I’d argue that’s why their films have gotten more popular as time goes by. So when I see casual fans who aren’t into the series as much as we are comment on how Craig was the first to “humanize” Bond, I always get a slight chuckle.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I like Craig as Bond, but I also think a lot of what Craig gets praised for are all elements that were previously explored by the likes of Lazenby/Dalton, and I’d argue that’s why their films have gotten more popular as time goes by.
    And Brosnan, @007ClassicBondFan. The personal elements of his four films experiment with and anticipate the deeper dive in the Craig films.

• I like Craig as Bond, but I also think a lot of what Craig gets praised for are all elements that were previously explored by the likes of Lazenby/Dalton, and I’d argue that’s why their films have gotten more popular as time goes by.
    And Brosnan, @007ClassicBondFan. The personal elements of his four films experiment with and anticipate the deeper dive in the Craig films.

That too! I feared if I threw Brosnan into that paragraph I would’ve been crucified!

@007HallY most of them were along them lines mate yeah. I found a quote from Daniel's 2005 GQ interview

"Well, I can't go into details, but I just think they're in a huge sort of transition period. They need to do something, and if I was being honest, I'd love to play him, but I'm just not sure it's possible. The problem is, it's always looking back. It has to because it was brilliant when it started, and it slowly got worse and worse. I think Pierce Brosnan did a fantastic job when he came in, but that was ten years ago. And the world is a much more cynical place now. And spies are f****** nasty c****, and I feel that that's the way they have to go. And I don't know how you do that. I don't know how you make it so you fear for that man's life... Because why worry? It's James Bond! He's Superman, for f**** sake!"

Surprised looking back that EON let him talk so openly about it, credit to Daniel he did bring that energy of is Bond going to survive back to the series.

I didn't realise he talked about it so openly either. I suppose if he could get away with saying 'I'd rather slit my wrists than play Bond again' he could get away with this one earlier as well.

Like I said, I think if he was saying this in public and was saying something different to EON they would have raised a red flag. I presume he was open about all this to them (as I said I think he knew Broccoli a bit anyway and was on good terms with both producers). That and I think they had a lot of faith in him as an actor.

I suppose that's another element to what they want - an actor who's going to be honest with the producers and go into the role wanting to do something with it. So long as they creatively see eye to eye with them.

@talos7 Suter is my top pick as well mate. Sadly I think Turner is too old for what they want next and Suter has got the lot as well as time on his side.

How was the general public considering Craig at that time though, as a serious contender? Who genuinely thought he could get the role? Maybe that's why he could speak so openly about it: nobody expected him to get it. I sure didn't.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    nobody expected him to get it. I sure didn't.
    Me either. Or anyone else, I suspect. I guess the reason Craig could speak about it was because while EON wanted him and nobody else ('we want you to do it'), Dan himself wasn't chasing it and, from everything he's said since, wasn't fussed if he did it or not at that point. He had nothing to lose by talking about it. I've often suspected that Cavill and the others who were screentested weren't actually in the running, but were only auditioning to be the substitute if Dan turned it down. That might be a bit of a stretch, but...there's some truth in it, I reckon.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I suppose if he could get away with saying 'I'd rather slit my wrists than play Bond again' he could get away with this one earlier as well.
    Although, tbf, what he actually said was 'What - now ?! I'd rather...' etc. That preface changes the whole statement - which is precisely why the conniving, stirring swines in the media always edited it out.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I suppose if he could get away with saying 'I'd rather slit my wrists than play Bond again' he could get away with this one earlier as well.
    Although, tbf, what he actually said was 'What - now ?! I'd rather...' etc. That preface changes the whole statement - which is precisely why the conniving, stirring swines in the media always edited it out.

Fair point, I didn't actually know the full quote until now myself.

I suppose one can argue it's not a diplomatic thing to say, and it shows a similar straightforwardness to what he said in that GQ article (with a similar amount of swearing) that I suspect other actors would have avoided. I get the sense he's just someone who tends to speak his mind. Still, it's interesting that he didn't seem to be trying to court the producers in order to get the role, and even seemed to be on the fence about the whole thing. You can even argue saying those things in that interview during the audition process would have hindered lesser actors.