Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 2023 Posts: 6,786
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Mona Lisa (1986)
    Popped up on television last night. Dont think I've watched this since its release in 80's. Directed by our own Neil Jordan ( and co-scripted with David Leland) I really enjoyed this viewing. Bob Hoskins on top form, plays George who's just done a prison stretch for local gangster Mortwell ( a surprisingly sleazy bad guy role for Michael Caine) and becomes a driver for one his high class prostitutes ( Cathy Tyson). She develops a relationship with George and asks for his help to find a young girl at Kings Cross, thats when Georges trouble starts! No special effects, action sequences or big set pieces, but a good story, well told, with splendid performances! A mention too for the wonderful Robbie Coltrane as Georges mate!

Added to my watchlist :)

Gorgeous poster btw:
    131.%20MONA%20LISA.jpg
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Mona Lisa, absolutely top notch film.

Coincidentally, my current desktop wallpaper is based on this image:

91y9myMJFIS._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    The Bourne Identity (2002) - really does hold up well after 20 years. Only those CRT monitors let it down...(the trailer has dated though..very 80s)

• edited August 2023 Posts: 6,816
    patb wrote: »
    The Bourne Identity (2002) - really does hold up well after 20 years. Only those CRT monitors let it down...(the trailer has dated though..very 80s)

I have all 4 of Damons Bourne movies on tape. (I hated 'The Bourne Legacy', didn't work at all for me!) I enjoy all of them, with the 'The Bourne Ultimatum' my favourite! The last one 'Jason Bourne' ( what a lazy title, I do hope they never do that for Bond!) comes in for unfair flack, but I still liked it ( the set piece in Greece at the riot is superb!) and it has nice additions to the regular cast like Tommy Lee Jones and Alicia Vikander.
    They're a different beast to the Bond movies, so comparisons are not fair, but I watch all of them frequently and still enjoy!
    John Boorman's film of
    EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC

I enjoyed it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    mattjoes wrote: »
    John Boorman's film of

I enjoyed it.

I hope that's irony. ;-)
    edited August 2023 Posts: 6,728
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    John Boorman's film of

I enjoyed it.

I hope that's irony. ;-)

Haha, I knew you wouldn't resist responding!

But I did enjoy it. Thematically, it's very interesting. The idea of good drawing evil unto it, the concept of a universal consciousness, the intersection and non-intersection between science and religion. The relationship between Regan and Father Lamont is the backbone of the film; one can feel the affection between them. I find it fascinating that most of the film goes by without any possession stuff in the style of the original film. Also, Lamont's journey in Africa is fairly engrossing; it reminds me a bit of The Omen.

I think the film doesn't do enough to justify Father Lamont's concerns about Regan early in the story, but the story still works well enough. Some of the imagery (for instance, the locusts) is so eccentric that it could threaten to make the film unintentionally funny, but that didn't really happen for me (I compare it favorably to something like the giant bee hallucination in The Swarm). I feel Kitty Winn's performance wasn't very good, though (of course, that can also be a matter of poor direction; sometimes, Richard Burton also slips a bit).

It is an extremely different film from its predecessor, and not entirely successful, but enjoyable and interesting. I would say, however, that The Exorcist III and Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist are better.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

I have all 4 of Damons Bourne movies on tape. (I hated 'The Bourne Legacy', didn't work at all for me!) I enjoy all of them, with the 'The Bourne Ultimatum' my favourite! The last one 'Jason Bourne' ( what a lazy title, I do hope they never do that for Bond!) comes in for unfair flack, but I still liked it ( the set piece in Greece at the riot is superb!) and it has nice additions to the regular cast like Tommy Lee Jones and Alicia Vikander.
    They're a different beast to the Bond movies, so comparisons are not fair, but I watch all of them frequently and still enjoy!

The 1988 version of ‘The Bourne Identity’ is pretty good in my book too!
    John Boorman's film of

I enjoyed it.

I hope that's irony. ;-)

But I did enjoy it. Thematically, it's very interesting. The idea of good drawing evil unto it, the concept of a universal consciousness, the intersection and non-intersection between science and religion. The relationship between Regan and Father Lamont is the backbone of the film; one can feel the affection between them. I find it fascinating that most of the film goes by without any possession stuff in the style of the original film. Also, Lamont's journey in Africa is fairly engrossing; it reminds me a bit of The Omen.

I think the film doesn't do enough to justify Father Lamont's concerns about Regan early in the story, but the story still works well enough. Some of the imagery (for instance, the locusts) is so eccentric that it could threaten to make the film unintentionally funny, but that didn't really happen for me (I compare it favorably to something like the giant bee hallucination in The Swarm). I feel Kitty Winn's performance wasn't very good, though (of course, that can also be a matter of poor direction; sometimes, Richard Burton also slips a bit).

It is an extremely different film from its predecessor, and not entirely successful, but enjoyable and interesting. I would say, however, that The Exorcist III and Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist are better.

I once read a review that said:

"Exorcist II is a terrible Exorcist sequel, but not a bad Italian horror film."

I'd agree with that, and given my fascination for the latter I quite like it too.
    John Boorman's film of

I enjoyed it.

I hope that's irony. ;-)

Oh well, I can easily agree with this review. ;-) Thumbs up for the review, @mattjoes, no thumbs for the film.
    Oppenheimer. A very well done film. Excellent performances. Not a film I anticipate wanting to see again. I appreciate it more than I enjoyed it.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    John Boorman's film of

I enjoyed it.

I hope that's irony. ;-)

I once read a review that said:

"Exorcist II is a terrible Exorcist sequel, but not a bad Italian horror film."

I'd agree with that, and given my fascination for the latter I quite like it too.
    It does feel Italian, and not just in the Morricone score.

John Boorman's film of

I enjoyed it.

I hope that's irony. ;-)

Oh well, I can easily agree with this review. ;-) Thumbs up for the review, @mattjoes, no thumbs for the film.
    Thank you.
    I just watched Fritz Lang's M for the tenth or so time. It's my favorite film of the director. Peter Lorre is perfect in it. And the subject matter remains very topical.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I just watched Fritz Lang's M for the tenth or so time. It's my favorite film of the director. Peter Lorre is perfect in it. And the subject matter remains very topical.

Isn't Lorre so brilliantly terrifying in that? I've only seen the film twice, need to revisit it again soon.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Isn't Lorre so brilliantly terrifying in that? I've only seen the film twice, need to revisit it again soon.

"Du hast aber einen schööönen Ball!" (Whistles "In the Hall of the Mountain King")
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    31days-tourist-trap7.jpg?resize=730%2C410&ssl=1
    Tourist Trap: Uncut 1979 an early role for Tanya Roberts in a weird and very creepy 70's slasher about a telekinetic psychopath who is obsessed by mannequins.

Love the Pino Donnagio score!

Well said @Mathis1

Love the Bourne films! Probably why i rate QOS so highly! (Never seen Legacy)

Agree mate, Ultimatum is the best. I watch it a lot!

Well said @Mathis1

Love the Bourne films! Probably why i rate QOS so highly! (Never seen Legacy)

Agree mate, Ultimatum is the best. I watch it a lot!

Good for you, mate! I wouldn't bother with 'The Bourne Legacy.'
    I like Jeremy Renner ( so good in 'The Hurt Locker' ) but but he doesn't register at all in this! And the action is pretty poor. Yes, QOS is fantastic, and it has Dan Bradley on 2nd Unit duties. I hope they get him back for Bond 26!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

"Du hast aber einen schööönen Ball!" (Whistles "In the Hall of the Mountain King")

Scary as hell but an amazing performance.
    live-and-die-in-la(6).ashx?modified=20180406155737

To Live and Die in L.A. 1985 directed by William Friedkin, no one is innocent in this underrated thriller that pulls no punches.

The movie has a great cast of well known actors in the early stages of there careers though the real star of the show is L.A. itself, a variety of incredibly well shot locations keep you glued to film throughout.

The car chase is easily one of the best shot in cinema it is exhilarating, it just keeps escalating with brilliant action sequences.

Agreed @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

A cracking thriller from the late great William Friedkin.

The LA locations are really unusual and give a distinct feel to the film. Love Wang Chung's crazy music as well!

The Arrow bluray is really good. With the most ridiculous alternate ending you will ever see!
    If you want a good, surrealist time with a Lancaster-led film, check out The Swimmer. I love how the film morphs and takes on an entirely new, slightly disturbing and psychological form in the last half hour or so. Damn good stuff.

Absolutely love The Swimmer. Saw it as a young teenager and i found it a little disturbing. Lancaster is amazing in it and it has such an odd structure and off kilter feel to it that I love.

Also has a marvellous score from Marvin Hamliche.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Kandahar (2023)

Gerard Butler’s latest action flick. It was decent enough although the film is exactly the same as Guy Ritchie’s The Covenant, but I felt that was better written and with characters I cared more about than the ones in Kandahar.

Still, it was an OK Sunday night watch, not too demanding, and it was well made and directed at least. And on Amazon Prime too, so don’t feel too out of pocket watching it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If you want a good, surrealist time with a Lancaster-led film, check out The Swimmer. I love how the film morphs and takes on an entirely new, slightly disturbing and psychological form in the last half hour or so. Damn good stuff.

Absolutely love The Swimmer. Saw it as a young teenager and i found it a little disturbing. Lancaster is amazing in it and it has such an odd structure and off kilter feel to it that I love.

It's very off-kilter, getting more and more uncertain and surreal as it presses on. It's a different and uniquely enticing journey.

It's very off-kilter, getting more and more uncertain and surreal as it presses on. It's a different and uniquely enticing journey.

There's definitely nothing else like it. It's very faithful to the short story It's based on.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    live-and-die-in-la(6).ashx?modified=20180406155737

To Live and Die in L.A. 1985 directed by William Friedkin, no one is innocent in this underrated thriller that pulls no punches.

The movie has a great cast of well known actors in the early stages of there careers though the real star of the show is L.A. itself, a variety of incredibly well shot locations keep you glued to film throughout.

The car chase is easily one of the best shot in cinema it is exhilarating, it just keeps escalating with brilliant action sequences.

Agreed @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

A cracking thriller from the late great William Friedkin.

The LA locations are really unusual and give a distinct feel to the film. Love Wang Chung's crazy music as well!

The Arrow bluray is really good. With the most ridiculous alternate ending you will ever see!

The alternate ending is pretty lame and totally undermines a certain character and one of the movies messages.

Out of all my physical media my Arrow collection is right up there, really great presentations.
    EQUUS

My Richard Burton festival continues. This was magnificent. I hope I get to see it on the stage someday.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Gran Turismo

It was a pretty decent time, and I am a GT player. Oddly the film was best when they got past the first 20 mins, which almost felt like an extended advert for the game, and into the actual training and racing.
    EQUUS

My Richard Burton festival continues. This was magnificent. I hope I get to see it on the stage someday.

Richard Burton was truly spectacular. Even when he's just sleepwalking through a film, such as Exorcist II, his voice alone makes up for most of it.

Sorry if I've missed it, have you already done Cleopatra?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    EQUUS

Richard Burton was truly spectacular. Even when he's just sleepwalking through a film, such as Exorcist II, his voice alone makes up for most of it.

Sorry if I've missed it, have you already done Cleopatra?

I haven't. I was thinking about watching The Comedians next. Not great reviews, perhaps, but great cast.

Have you seen Cleopatra? If so, did you like it? I vaguely remember seeing parts of it on TV years ago.
    If you're interested in Roman/Egyptian history, Cleopatra is surprisingly enjoyable. It sticks relatively close to the facts and doesn't have an excess of Hollywood BS. The actors are larger than life in a good way and the dialogue is intelligent and cynical. The film is notorious for going over budget and the Taylor/Burton affair, but it deserves a higher reputation for doing a fine job with its historical subjects, thanks to writer/director Joseph Mankiewicz.