Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am still building my complete Seagal filmography experience in chronological order. I'm currently in the middle of his True Justice "film" series. It's tedious, but I'm on a mission.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I am still building my complete Seagal filmography experience in chronological order. I'm currently in the middle of his True Justice "film" series. It's tedious, but I'm on a mission.

So you've seen Ticker?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    Seagal uses so little effort, he touches the other fella lightly, and he slides along as if Seagal has Jedi powers. =))
    What do you mean 'if'...? ;)

The only way that could happen, is if he were to eat a Jedi. Or in his case, a Jedi or two.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,938
    He's building up to it...

seagal-steven-seagal.gif
    mattjoes wrote: »

So you've seen Ticker?

Yes, sir. That was the 14th film on the list.

So you've seen Ticker?

Was it so bad it was good? Or so bad it was bad?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

seagal-steven-seagal.gif

3niuwg.jpg
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

seagal-steven-seagal.gif

3niuwg.jpg

Clearly, something is in the air ....... :))

So you've seen Ticker?

It wasn't good, period. Not a lot of joy to get out of it. Half the cast doesn't look like it wants to be there. People driving a car are clearly just in a studio. Seagal isn't much in it, either. It's a paycheck for Hopper and Sizemore (and for their sake, I hope it was worth it.)

So you've seen Ticker?

It wasn't good, period. Not a lot of joy to get out of it. Half the cast doesn't look like it wants to be there. People driving a car are clearly just in a studio. Seagal isn't much in it, either. It's a paycheck for Hopper and Sizemore (and for their sake, I hope it was worth it.)

I don't understand why, but I want to see it.

So you've seen Ticker?

I don't understand why, but I want to see it.

Go ahead! I am going to end up close to 60 Seagal films (I'm at 44 right now, in chronological order). I can think of only ten or so, if I'm being generous, that I like, and only one that I absolutely love, unironically. The rest have pretty much been an endurance test, which explains why I started in May '22 and am still going. I need to space them out to preserve my mental stability. Nevertheless, I want to see them. It's like earning street cred. I want to be that guy who can proudly say that he's watched every Seagal film in existence, including films in which the man who sees himself as just one meager step-down from the Dalai Lama cameos. And since it seems that he's no longer on his 6-films-per-year regime, the end feels very near. I also don't want to destroy my marriage in the process, and the wife keeps wondering what's going on with me and the bloated ponytail dude. Also, she doesn't buy the argument that I take some kind of perverse pleasure in suffering through Seagal's entire body of work.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anyone here ever see I Am Cuba? I finally saw it for the first time yesterday, and man, what an experience that was. I love the beauty being tempered against all the hardship and heartbreak and political revolution, and the film's cinematography is far and away some of the greatest I've ever seen. How some of those shots were pulled off, I don't understand. What a masterpiece.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    live-and-die-in-la(6).ashx?modified=20180406155737

To Live and Die in L.A. 1985 directed by William Friedkin, no one is innocent in this underrated thriller that pulls no punches.

The movie has a great cast of well known actors in the early stages of there careers though the real star of the show is L.A. itself, a variety of incredibly well shot locations keep you glued to film throughout.

The car chase is easily one of the best shot in cinema it is exhilarating, it just keeps escalating with brilliant action sequences.
    Desert Heat (1999)
    This is very strange for a 90's Van Damme film. There's a spiritual angle, but it doesn't entirely come through and there's an awkward humour. I am not that surprised to learn there was possibly a longer workprint in the possession of the director, who died before he could release it. The story goes that Van Damme didn't like the original cut, and had the film edited down to just over 90 minutes. With Van Damme tampering in the editing room, the results don't come off as well as Hard Target. And it also ended up becoming Van Damme's first dtv film. On the upside, Desert Heat brings my Van Damme ranking up to 28 films, so there's that.

#ReleasetheAvildsencut
    edited August 2023 Posts: 40,512

To Live and Die in L.A. 1985 directed by William Friedkin, no one is innocent in this underrated thriller that pulls no punches.

The movie has a great cast of well known actors in the early stages of there careers though the real star of the show is L.A. itself, a variety of incredibly well shot locations keep you glued to film throughout.

The car chase is easily one of the best shot in cinema it is exhilarating, it just keeps escalating with brilliant action sequences.

Great film, just saw it for the first time the other day. Petersen and Dafoe were fantastic (so is Friedkin's directing - the three Williams deliver here), I really loved that Wang Chung soundtrack, and it has one of the most brutal headshots I've ever seen.
    I also don't want to destroy my marriage in the process, and the wife keeps wondering what's going on with me and the bloated ponytail dude. Also, she doesn't buy the argument that I take some kind of perverse pleasure in suffering through Seagal's entire body of work.

Haha!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

All I need to see is the title and the music starts playing in my head.
    I remember the late, great, film reviewer Barry Norman accidently naming it 'To Live and Let Die in L.A.'! 😂
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,474
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Great film, just saw it for the first time the other day. Petersen and Dafoe were fantastic (so is Friedkin's directing - the three Williams deliver here), I really loved that Wang Chung soundtrack, and it has one of the most brutal headshots I've ever seen.

I always think of Scarface when i watch To Live and Die in L.A., the soundtrack is unmistakably 80's.

All I need to see is the title and the music starts playing in my head.

the theme is an earworm.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I remember the late, great, film reviewer Barry Norman accidently naming it 'To Live and Let Die in L.A.'! 😂

I loved that show Film (add a year), I have a few of Barry Norman's film books in storage.
    I think of GTA 3 when I think of Scarface, considering how many songs are in the soundtracks for both (especially those killer hits from E.G. Daly).
    It's funny when watching To Live and Die in L.A yesterday, I did think for a moment this is GTA the movie, the L.A. locations are used incredibly well, these days we mostly get CGI cityscapes in movies.
    It's funny when watching To Live and Die in L.A yesterday, I did think for a moment this is GTA the movie, the L.A. locations are used incredibly well, these days we mostly get CGI cityscapes in movies.

A lot of it, specifically the location and general atmosphere, felt like a nice mixture of Tony Scott and Michael Mann too. It's brilliant.

A lot of it, specifically the location and general atmosphere, felt like a nice mixture of Tony Scott and Michael Mann too. It's brilliant.

Agree I am long overdue for a rewatch of Collateral, another film where the City feels like another character.

Agree I am long overdue for a rewatch of Collateral, another film where the City feels like another character.

Aaaabsolutely. Such an incredible film. I'm glad Mann went with L.A. instead of the early drafts that had chosen New York City as the location.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 23,474

Aaaabsolutely. Such an incredible film. I'm glad Mann went with L.A. instead of the early drafts that had chosen New York City as the location.

I have Collateral on Bluray never thought to see if it was on 4K.I own Heat Directors Definitive Edition also on Bluray I need to get that on 4K too if possible.

There is a bit of a cross over I think with To Live and Die in L.A and Michael Mann in that I think Friedkin made a better Miami Vice.
    The 4K is gorgeous, one of the last 4Ks I bothered picking up. I'm giving up on physical media in general until I have the money (if that day ever comes) for a truly proper 4K TV. The one I have sucks, can't stand the audio issues (where the dialogue is whisper quiet but then the music, gunshots, explosions, etc. are deafeningly loud).
    The 4K is gorgeous, one of the last 4Ks I bothered picking up. I'm giving up on physical media in general until I have the money (if that day ever comes) for a truly proper 4K TV. The one I have sucks, can't stand the audio issues (where the dialogue is whisper quiet but then the music, gunshots, explosions, etc. are deafeningly loud).

I have a number of different external sound systems rigged up to my TV so the sound is great, two of the sound set ups are Dolby ATMOS. I use a different sound set up for movies and gaming as I do for streaming.

My TV is decent enough it is one of the first TV's that had a version of HDR, I really should of held of for a few years as a better TV's would have been much cheaper. I will only upgrade when this one packs in if that ever happens lol
    Mona Lisa (1986)
    Popped up on television last night. Dont think I've watched this since its release in 80's. Directed by our own Neil Jordan ( and co-scripted with David Leland) I really enjoyed this viewing. Bob Hoskins on top form, plays George who's just done a prison stretch for local gangster Mortwell ( a surprisingly sleazy bad guy role for Michael Caine) and becomes a driver for one his high class prostitutes ( Cathy Tyson). She develops a relationship with George and asks for his help to find a young girl at Kings Cross, thats when Georges trouble starts! No special effects, action sequences or big set pieces, but a good story, well told, with splendid performances! A mention too for the wonderful Robbie Coltrane as Georges mate!
    edited August 2023 Posts: 40,512
    Mona Lisa (1986)
    Popped up on television last night. Dont think I've watched this since its release in 80's. Directed by our own Neil Jordan ( and co-scripted with David Leland) I really enjoyed this viewing. Bob Hoskins on top form, plays George who's just done a prison stretch for local gangster Mortwell ( a surprisingly sleazy bad guy role for Michael Caine) and becomes a driver for one his high class prostitutes ( Cathy Tyson). She develops a relationship with George and asks for his help to find a young girl at Kings Cross, thats when Georges trouble starts! No special effects, action sequences or big set pieces, but a good story, well told, with splendid performances! A mention too for the wonderful Robbie Coltrane as Georges mate!

I finally saw this one in May of last year and I thought it was so fantastic. It's another killer performance from Hoskins and I loved the supporting cast (Michael Caine, Robbie Coltrane, and Clarke Peters were all great). A Nat King Cole track opening with the sunrise at the start instantly had me hooked.
    Mona Lisa (1986)

I finally saw this one in May of last year and I thought it was so fantastic. It's another killer performance from Hoskins and I loved the supporting cast (Michael Caine, Robbie Coltrane, and Clarke Peters were all great). A Nat King Cole track opening with the sunrise at the start instantly had me hooked.

I honestly had forgotten how good it was! Hoskins is just so compelling as the tough, but soft and innocent George. That opening where he returns to see his estranged wife and daughter is superb, as is the rest!